oops.

A forum not related to waterfowl for discussing the more controversial and hot topic issues in our world from immigration, politics, the war, etc..

Moderators: Smackaduck, MM

oops.

Postby assateague » Mon Jul 01, 2013 11:29 am

So Obama ordered the CDC to conduct a "firearms study" in the wake of Sandy Hook. I'm sure most of you remember the brouhaha surrounding his 23 executive orders, one of which was directing the CDC to conduct said study to "better understand the problem" of gun violence, and identify areas for improvement.

Well, the study was released last week, and yet nobody heard anything about it. Wonder why? Of course you do. Here's why nobody has heard anything about it, and why the administration is probably hoping it just goes away:

Between the years 2000-2010, firearm-related suicides significantly outnumbered homicides for all age groups, annually accounting for 61 percent of the more than 335,600 people who died from firearms related violence in the United States.

So it certainly appears that mental health is still the problem, not guns. But hey, let's not let that stop a perfectly good measure to "get our way" in spite of that pesky constitution.

The number of public mass shootings of the type that occurred at Sandy Hook Elementary School accounted for a very small fraction of all firearm-related deaths. Specifically, since 1983 there have been 78 events in which 4 or more individuals were killed by a single perpetrator in a day in the United States, resulting in 547 victims and 476 injured persons.

So over the course of 30 years, 547 people have been killed in "mass shootings". That's 18 victims a year. In the same time period, 1,080,000 people died in car crashes, 105,300 people died by drowning, 2,910 deaths by bee sting, and 2,700 victims of lightning strikes. But yet "HOLY CRAP SANDY HOOK WE NEED TO FIX THIS OHMYGODOHMYGODTHE HORROR". While tragic, it is not basis for changing the laws for everyone.

Particularly in light of the next little tidbit from the Obama Executive order-directed CDC study:

Defensive use of guns by crime victims is a common occurrence. Almost all national survey estimates indicate that defensive gun uses by victims are at least as common as offensive uses by criminals, with estimates of annual uses ranging from about 500,000 to more than 3 million per year, in the context of about 300,000 violent crimes involving firearms in 2008. Studies that directly assessed the effect of actual defensive uses of guns have found consistently lower injury rates among gun-using crime victims compared with victims who used other self-protective strategies.

That last one was so important, I think I'll post it again:

Defensive use of guns by crime victims is a common occurrence. Almost all national survey estimates indicate that defensive gun uses by victims are at least as common as offensive uses by criminals, with estimates of annual uses ranging from about 500,000 to more than 3 million per year, in the context of about 300,000 violent crimes involving firearms in 2008. Studies that directly assessed the effect of actual defensive uses of guns have found consistently lower injury rates among gun-using crime victims compared with victims who used other self-protective strategies.

So, on the basis of 18 people per year being victimized, gun control folks are willing to sacrifice the protection which was afforded to 500,000 people per year, at a minimum. What a huge pile of insanity.

Tell me again how gun control is about keeping people safe.

http://www.nap.edu/openbook.php?record_id=18319&page=R1
WOLVERINES

Give a man a fish and he eats for a day. Let a man vote to give himself a fish and he eats until society collapses.
assateague
Emu hunter extraordinaire

Re: oops.

Postby Gunnysway » Mon Jul 01, 2013 11:47 am

It's clearly not about the "saftey" aspect...

It's about the "control" aspect...
Setting up meetings between geese and God since 1992...

Gud till ära, oss till gagn...
Gunnysway
hunter

Postby beretta24 » Mon Jul 01, 2013 12:05 pm

I'll have read the rest later but thanks for the link.
beretta24
State Moderator

Postby ScaupHunter » Mon Jul 01, 2013 12:29 pm

If every victim shot the gun toting criminals it would reduce the gun crimes statistics immediately. There are only so many gun toting criminals and most of them are committing multiple crimes. Remove them and gun crimes would drop to a very low level. 300,000 gun crimes. Say that each criminal commits 5 crimes. Kill 30,000 criminals in legal self defense. Gun crimes are cut in half.
Bella's
Decoy Setting Pro Staff
Boat Operator Pro Staff
Duck Shooting Pro Staff
Warm Towel Pro Staff
Snack Supply Pro Staff

He works for free! Who's the B now?
ScaupHunter
hunter

Postby ScaupHunter » Mon Jul 01, 2013 12:30 pm

double posted that one.

I still say we legalize lethal self defense US wide and let it solve the problem.
Last edited by ScaupHunter on Mon Jul 01, 2013 1:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Bella's
Decoy Setting Pro Staff
Boat Operator Pro Staff
Duck Shooting Pro Staff
Warm Towel Pro Staff
Snack Supply Pro Staff

ScaupHunter
hunter

Postby vincentpa » Mon Jul 01, 2013 1:02 pm

Where did you hear about this? I haven't found it anywhere, not even on Drudge.
In a free society, it is not the obligation of the citizen to prove to the government that he is a good person. It is the obligation of the government to prove to the rest of the citizenry that the citizen is a bad person, with probable cause.
vincentpa
hunter

Postby assateague » Mon Jul 01, 2013 4:20 pm

That's exactly my point. It was pointed out to me by a friend on FB.
WOLVERINES

Give a man a fish and he eats for a day. Let a man vote to give himself a fish and he eats until society collapses.
assateague
Emu hunter extraordinaire

Postby Indawoods » Mon Jul 01, 2013 9:20 pm

one more round in the information magazine. oops is right.
assateague wrote:I'm not THAT cheap.

-on the viability of Pabst Blue Ribbon as a thirst quenching barley pop.
Indawoods
hunter

Postby Indaswamp » Mon Jul 01, 2013 9:35 pm

Hey-did you guys know guns cause global warming? :lol3: :lol3: :lol3: :lol3: :lol3:
The Cajun 7 Course Meal; 1 lb. of boudin and a six pack of Abita beer.

Save the Marsh, Eat a Nutria!

Indaswamp
Forum Moderator

Postby ohioboy » Mon Jul 01, 2013 9:47 pm

Indaswamp wrote:Hey-did you guys know guns cause global warming? :lol3: :lol3: :lol3: :lol3: :lol3:

gun stocks are wood (bad!) or synthetic (very bad!). that is the cause.

:lol3: :lol3: :lol3: :lol3: :lol3:
ohioboy
hunter

Postby ohioboy » Mon Jul 01, 2013 9:48 pm

and thanks for posting Assa. i will have fun with this one.
ohioboy
hunter

Postby WoodyWhiffingMG » Tue Jul 02, 2013 6:17 am

If this is true, why has no one submitted it to FOX?
There are only two types of people in the world, those who love duck hunting and those who never have duck hunted.
WoodyWhiffingMG
hunter

Postby ScaupHunter » Tue Jul 02, 2013 8:21 am

Things like this do not get that much attention. Asking most Americans to pay attention to the facts is a waste of time.
Bella's
Decoy Setting Pro Staff
Boat Operator Pro Staff
Duck Shooting Pro Staff
Warm Towel Pro Staff
Snack Supply Pro Staff

ScaupHunter
hunter

Return to Controversial Issues Forum