Healthcare Costs Article

A forum not related to waterfowl for discussing the more controversial and hot topic issues in our world from immigration, politics, the war, etc..

Moderators: Smackaduck, MM

Healthcare Costs Article

Postby bighop » Thu Jul 11, 2013 9:45 am

Just gonna drop this here, long read.

http://livingwithmcl.com/BitterPill.pdf
Rick Hall 2016
He'll turn it all around. Unless he doesn't.
bighop
Sugar Daddy

Re: Healthcare Costs Article

Postby vincentpa » Thu Jul 11, 2013 10:19 am

bighop wrote:Just gonna drop this here, long read.

Thanks. 28 pages, really? You expect me to read 28 pages? :lol3:
In a free society, it is not the obligation of the citizen to prove to the government that he is a good person. It is the obligation of the government to prove to the rest of the citizenry that the citizen is a bad person, with probable cause.
vincentpa
hunter

Postby bighop » Thu Jul 11, 2013 1:31 pm

vincentpa wrote:
bighop wrote:Just gonna drop this here, long read.

Thanks. 28 pages, really? You expect me to read 28 pages? :lol3:

I know. I apologize. It's such a simple issue, it should have only taken a sidebar, but the guy got carried away....
Rick Hall 2016
bighop
Sugar Daddy

Postby vincentpa » Thu Jul 11, 2013 4:32 pm

Executive summary?

I ain't got time for nothing else.
In a free society, it is not the obligation of the citizen to prove to the government that he is a good person. It is the obligation of the government to prove to the rest of the citizenry that the citizen is a bad person, with probable cause.
vincentpa
hunter

Postby bighop » Thu Jul 11, 2013 6:49 pm

vincentpa wrote:Executive summary?

It the equipment manufacturers and hospitals fault. Don't blame the docs. No solutions suggested.
Rick Hall 2016
bighop
Sugar Daddy

Postby Indaswamp » Thu Jul 11, 2013 7:03 pm

bighop wrote:

It the equipment manufacturers and hospitals fault. Don't blame the docs. No solutions suggested.

That's what I have been saying for a while now. see my recent thread post.

and lets not forget the insurance companies...and pharma as well...not to mention that the U.S. health consumer foots the bill for most all R&D costs that the rest of the world benefits from....
The Cajun 7 Course Meal; 1 lb. of boudin and a six pack of Abita beer.

Save the Marsh, Eat a Nutria!

Indaswamp
Forum Moderator

Postby beretta24 » Fri Jul 12, 2013 9:52 pm

Indaswamp wrote:
bighop wrote:

and lets not forget the insurance companies...and pharma as well...not to mention that the U.S. health consumer foots the bill for most all R&D costs that the rest of the world benefits from....

Why can't you blame the docs? There are examples of physicians that have very successfully bucked the system and that prove the costs are a joke. Plus, plenty pawn off name brands over generic equivalents. They get no pass from me.

Sent from my ADR6410LVW using Tapatalk 2
beretta24
State Moderator

Postby Indaswamp » Fri Jul 12, 2013 10:14 pm

beretta24 wrote:
Indaswamp wrote:
bighop wrote:

Why can't you blame the docs? There are examples of physicians that have very successfully bucked the system and that prove the costs are a joke. Plus, plenty pawn off name brands over generic equivalents. They get no pass from me.

noted....cardiologists are notorious for ridiculous pricing for scans...

Indaswamp
Forum Moderator

Postby beretta24 » Fri Jul 12, 2013 10:20 pm

Indaswamp wrote:
beretta24 wrote:
Indaswamp wrote:
bighop wrote:

I've been in the OR for procedures and have seen a rep offer a cheaper product to the doc pre-op so the hospital and take in more cash since the procedure has a standard reimbursement fee regardless of product. Which would be fine with me but the patient is NOT involved in the decision. They have no clue. It might not always make a difference in the quality of care but it can.
beretta24
State Moderator

Postby bighop » Fri Jul 12, 2013 11:44 pm

There are instances, sure, but targeting reimbursement to physicians will get you no where in reducing the cost of healthcare.
Rick Hall 2016
bighop
Sugar Daddy

Postby bighop » Fri Jul 12, 2013 11:45 pm

beretta24 wrote:
Indaswamp wrote:
beretta24 wrote:
Indaswamp wrote:
bighop wrote:

I've been in the OR for procedures and have seen a rep offer a cheaper product to the doc pre-op so the hospital and take in more cash since the procedure has a standard reimbursement fee regardless of product. Which would be fine with me but the patient is NOT involved in the decision. They have no clue. It might not always make a difference in the quality of care but it can.

Would you pick out your own knee implant, or let the guy that's put in a few hundred pick what he wants?
Rick Hall 2016
bighop
Sugar Daddy

Postby bighop » Fri Jul 12, 2013 11:47 pm

Indaswamp wrote:
beretta24 wrote:
Indaswamp wrote:
bighop wrote:

They caught a lot of heat for ordering unnecessary scans, not necessarily the pricing, which they have little control over.
Rick Hall 2016
bighop
Sugar Daddy

Postby Indaswamp » Fri Jul 12, 2013 11:47 pm

bighop wrote:There are instances, sure, but targeting reimbursement to physicians will get you no where in reducing the cost of healthcare.

My post was not taking a stab at You Personally Hop, Only pointing out an example.

Indaswamp
Forum Moderator

Postby bighop » Sat Jul 13, 2013 6:32 am

Indaswamp wrote:
bighop wrote:There are instances, sure, but targeting reimbursement to physicians will get you no where in reducing the cost of healthcare.

My post was not taking a stab at You Personally Hop, Only pointing out an example.

I knew.
Rick Hall 2016
bighop
Sugar Daddy

Postby cartervj » Sat Jul 13, 2013 6:42 am

The funny thing is the TV commercials around here. First they'll run a hip, knee replacement or prescription ad then right afterwards will be a law firm ad stating a lawsuit against the previous company. :lol3:
“Nothing makes me more certain of the victory of our ideas than our success in the universities” – Adolf H, 1930
cartervj
hunter

Postby beretta24 » Sat Jul 13, 2013 8:30 am

bighop wrote:
beretta24 wrote:
Indaswamp wrote:
beretta24 wrote:
Indaswamp wrote:
bighop wrote:

Would you pick out your own knee implant, or let the guy that's put in a few hundred pick what he wants?

Knowing what I know, yes, I would. I'd research it just like researching a car, my own air conditioner, replacement brakes. Just because a doc has done a bunch of implants doesn't mean he's always going to give you what's best. My point is docs may not be the root cause but they aren't completely innocent. There aren't a lot them standing up in protest for their patients, but there are examples so its not like they don't have an option.
beretta24
State Moderator

Postby Indaswamp » Sat Jul 13, 2013 10:10 am

beretta24 wrote:
bighop wrote:
beretta24 wrote:
Indaswamp wrote:
beretta24 wrote:
Indaswamp wrote:
bighop wrote:

Knowing what I know, yes, I would. I'd research it just like researching a car, my own air conditioner, replacement brakes. Just because a doc has done a bunch of implants doesn't mean he's always going to give you what's best. My point is docs may not be the root cause but they aren't completely innocent. There aren't a lot them standing up in protest for their patients, but there are examples so its not like they don't have an option.

what a lot of people do not know is that a sales rep normally scrubs in for the surgery to assist the doc with guidance so the implant is installed properly. Sales reps. form relationships with the doctors. There may be a better implant available, but the doc will trust the advice of the sales rep he has a relationship with. Not saying it's wrong, It's reality.

Indaswamp
Forum Moderator

Postby beretta24 » Sat Jul 13, 2013 11:11 am

Indaswamp wrote:
beretta24 wrote:
bighop wrote:
beretta24 wrote:
Indaswamp wrote:
beretta24 wrote:
Indaswamp wrote:
bighop wrote:[quote="vincentpa"]Executive summary?

what a lot of people do not know is that a sales rep normally scrubs in for the surgery to assist the doc with guidance so the implant is installed properly. Sales reps. form relationships with the doctors. There may be a better implant available, but the doc will trust the advice of the sales rep he has a relationship with. Not saying it's wrong, It's reality.[/quote]
They've been kicked out of most of the orthopedic ORs to my knowledge, but you are spot on about the relationships. I've seen reps and docs move to a different states together. Sometimes the relationship is based on technical trust, and sometimes the foundation is something other than a professional mutual interest.

It can be both to the patient's advantage and disadvantage.

beretta24
State Moderator

Postby vincentpa » Sat Jul 13, 2013 8:05 pm

Indaswamp wrote:

He's probably a quack. No apologies necessary.
vincentpa
hunter

Return to Controversial Issues Forum