The ACS and you.

A forum not related to waterfowl for discussing the more controversial and hot topic issues in our world from immigration, politics, the war, etc..

Moderators: Smackaduck, MM

Re: The ACS and you.

Postby boney fingers » Thu Jul 18, 2013 8:33 am

OmegaRed wrote:
boney fingers wrote:
OmegaRed wrote:
boney fingers wrote:
OmegaRed wrote:
go get the bird wrote:Does anyone else feel like the ACS (American Community Survey) is a blatant invasion of privacy? What could the Census Bureau possibly need with the amount of time it takes me to get to work? Or with what type of work I do? This is insane.

Has anyone else thrown this thing away or told them to piss up a rope?

ACS wrote:The American Community Survey (ACS) is an ongoing survey that provides data every year -- giving communities the current information they need to plan investments and services. Information from the survey generates data that help determine how more than $400 billion in federal and state funds are distributed each year.

To help communities, state governments, and federal programs, we ask about:

•race
•family and relationships

•income and benefits
•health insurance
•education
•veteran status

•disabilities
•where you work and how you get there
•where you live and how much you pay for some essentials

All this detail is combined into statistics that are used to help decide everything from school lunch programs to new hospitals.

http://www.census.gov/acs/www/about_the ... ty_survey/

I deal with census data quite a bit. It seems intrusive, and is to some point. I've had to explain this to lots of old timers that argue the same thing. Many things get based off census data - grants, funding for your community through allocations, HUD funding etc.

They also use the data for GIS quite a bit to. For example, DOT is looking at raising the speed limit from 65 to 70. They could look at commute time to work, amount of traffic in a given radius, with age of drivers and accidents in the same radius and make realizations off of this. Just one more tool to make rational and educated decisions.

The government cant even look at a simple ledger with credits and debits and make sound decisions so why do they need to know every detail of my life? The government uses this info to see where they can most effectively buy votes or achieve social equality. Blacks and women are given money cheaper than I can barrow it because they are underrepresented in agriculture. I guess Im one of those old timers that feels this is not the role of the federal government. In the 90s the Clintons used "secret" FBI info against their political enemies, Recently Obama has used IRS to insure reelection, and has been caught collecting phone records of most citizens (something he opposed a short time ago) Power corrupts , any available info will sooner or latter be used for buy government to maintain power. No tin foil hat here, just common sense.

Were you ever abducted by aliens? Did they probe you?

Are you disputing what I say or did I forget to answer that question on my survey? Buy the way ,how much money did you make last year, how many children do you have and what are their ages, how much debt do you have, and what color is your skin.
Please answer to the best of your ability. Almost forgot, please include your social security number.

Poor survey participation is better than statistically inaccurate data. That is all

Seems you are uncomfortable giving out your personal info; were YOU ever abducted by aliens and did they put anything in YOUR butt? By the way; garbage in garbage out, just sayin.
boney fingers
hunter

Re: The ACS and you.

Postby OmegaRed » Thu Jul 18, 2013 11:01 am

boney fingers wrote:
OmegaRed wrote:
boney fingers wrote:
OmegaRed wrote:
boney fingers wrote:
OmegaRed wrote:
go get the bird wrote:Does anyone else feel like the ACS (American Community Survey) is a blatant invasion of privacy? What could the Census Bureau possibly need with the amount of time it takes me to get to work? Or with what type of work I do? This is insane.

Has anyone else thrown this thing away or told them to piss up a rope?

ACS wrote:The American Community Survey (ACS) is an ongoing survey that provides data every year -- giving communities the current information they need to plan investments and services. Information from the survey generates data that help determine how more than $400 billion in federal and state funds are distributed each year.

To help communities, state governments, and federal programs, we ask about:

•race
•family and relationships

•income and benefits
•health insurance
•education
•veteran status

•disabilities
•where you work and how you get there
•where you live and how much you pay for some essentials

All this detail is combined into statistics that are used to help decide everything from school lunch programs to new hospitals.

http://www.census.gov/acs/www/about_the ... ty_survey/

I deal with census data quite a bit. It seems intrusive, and is to some point. I've had to explain this to lots of old timers that argue the same thing. Many things get based off census data - grants, funding for your community through allocations, HUD funding etc.

They also use the data for GIS quite a bit to. For example, DOT is looking at raising the speed limit from 65 to 70. They could look at commute time to work, amount of traffic in a given radius, with age of drivers and accidents in the same radius and make realizations off of this. Just one more tool to make rational and educated decisions.

The government cant even look at a simple ledger with credits and debits and make sound decisions so why do they need to know every detail of my life? The government uses this info to see where they can most effectively buy votes or achieve social equality. Blacks and women are given money cheaper than I can barrow it because they are underrepresented in agriculture. I guess Im one of those old timers that feels this is not the role of the federal government. In the 90s the Clintons used "secret" FBI info against their political enemies, Recently Obama has used IRS to insure reelection, and has been caught collecting phone records of most citizens (something he opposed a short time ago) Power corrupts , any available info will sooner or latter be used for buy government to maintain power. No tin foil hat here, just common sense.

Were you ever abducted by aliens? Did they probe you?

Are you disputing what I say or did I forget to answer that question on my survey? Buy the way ,how much money did you make last year, how many children do you have and what are their ages, how much debt do you have, and what color is your skin.
Please answer to the best of your ability. Almost forgot, please include your social security number.

Poor survey participation is better than statistically inaccurate data. That is all

Seems you are uncomfortable giving out your personal info; were YOU ever abducted by aliens and did they put anything in YOUR butt? By the way; garbage in garbage out, just sayin.

If you eat a steak, does it come out as crap?
I just dropped in, to see what condition my condition was in.
OmegaRed
Fabio

Previous

Return to Controversial Issues Forum