Chem Trails to manipulate weather

A forum not related to waterfowl for discussing the more controversial and hot topic issues in our world from immigration, politics, the war, etc..

Moderators: Smackaduck, MM

Chem Trails to manipulate weather

Postby wanapasaki » Wed Jul 31, 2013 8:07 pm

So I'm watching this show, and they said that the Feds are paying jets to build storm fronts and manipulate the weather with chemical trails. "Project Popeye" used to flood out the Vietnamese trail? If this were possible, I would be interested in flying out of my neck of the woods lol :hammer:
Give a man a duck... Feed him for a day... Teach him to fowl hunt... Feed him for a lifetime...Teach him in your spot... Learn to hunt a different spot....
wanapasaki
hunter

Re: Chem Trails to manipulate weather

Postby SpinnerMan » Wed Jul 31, 2013 8:50 pm

Seeding clouds is well known and has been done. Don't know about the validity of the story, but the technology is simple. The success is questionable.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cloud_seeding
A politician thinks of the next election; a statesman of the next generation. A politician looks for the success of his party; a statesman for that of the country. The statesman wished to steer, while the politician was satisfied to drift.
SpinnerMan
hunter

Postby slowshooter » Wed Jul 31, 2013 8:50 pm

Wasn't there a guy around here that believed that they were used or mind control and poisoning the average citizen?

I think he was a denizen of Fresno or somewhere around there.

Snakes? I can't remember.... Hmmmmmm.....
All this for a bowl of borscht.
slowshooter
hunter

Postby SpinnerMan » Wed Jul 31, 2013 9:02 pm

http://usatoday30.usatoday.com/weather/research/2008-02-29-china-weather_N.htm
An artillery operator stands next to artillery used to seed clouds to induce rain at a Beijing Meteorological Bureau station in Beijing in July 2007. China regularly uses cloud seeding to improve local weather conditions, and plans to use this technique to ensure optimum weather conditions for the 2008 Olympic Games.
A politician thinks of the next election; a statesman of the next generation. A politician looks for the success of his party; a statesman for that of the country. The statesman wished to steer, while the politician was satisfied to drift.
SpinnerMan
hunter

Postby dudejcb » Wed Jul 31, 2013 9:12 pm

Could seeding 101: burn propane and acetone cocktail to create/deliver silver iodide into cloud masses. Silver iodide provides a substrate nucleus for ice formation and drop building. Like Spinner says, hard to control outcomes; sometimes nothing, sometimes floods ... and then who's to blame?
What's so funny 'bout peace love and understanding?
dudejcb
hunter

Postby clampdaddy » Wed Jul 31, 2013 10:06 pm

The company I work for used it in the past. During winter months they would seed clouds over important snow pack areas to help fill the reservoir with spring and summer run off. They didn't do it for very long though so I'm assuming it wasn't as effective as they had hoped it would be.
clampdaddy
hunter

Postby wanapasaki » Sat Aug 03, 2013 7:20 pm

Interesting feedback. I wonder if the government is investing in any research to implement this into areas affected by extended droughts?
Give a man a duck... Feed him for a day... Teach him to fowl hunt... Feed him for a lifetime...Teach him in your spot... Learn to hunt a different spot....
wanapasaki
hunter

Postby ohioboy » Sat Aug 03, 2013 7:34 pm

wanapasaki wrote:Interesting feedback. I wonder if the government is investing in any research to implement this into areas affected by extended droughts?

I don't think it is reliable enough. Am I wrong?
ohioboy
hunter

Postby wanapasaki » Sat Aug 03, 2013 9:36 pm

I'm not sure but I imagine they could make it reliable or more so. I have been all across the country this past week, and one thing I have noticed is the lack of water
wanapasaki
hunter

Postby Glimmerjim » Sat Aug 03, 2013 9:43 pm

ohioboy wrote:
wanapasaki wrote:Interesting feedback. I wonder if the government is investing in any research to implement this into areas affected by extended droughts?

I could very well be wrong about this, but it only makes sense to me that there would have to be enough moisture in the air above a certain area to even begin to think about causing rainfall by condensing the moisture or whatever they do. They could do it it 24/7 over the Australian outback and I don't think you'd add a drop.
Does remind me of a conversation about Ursula Le Guin and the Earthsea Trilogy I once had with BDD2 though. It is mythological/fantasy type writing with wizards and such. They had so many weathershapers on this little island the winds, fog, and clouds were buffetted about like a pinball. Pretty good series if you like that type stuff.
Glimmerjim
hunter

Postby Glimmerjim » Sat Aug 03, 2013 9:44 pm

wanapasaki wrote:I'm not sure but I imagine they could make it reliable or more so. I have been all across the country this past week, and one thing I have noticed is the lack of water

Ask Canada about the drought! :lol3: :lol3:
Glimmerjim
hunter

Postby Indaswamp » Sat Aug 03, 2013 10:03 pm

ohioboy wrote:

About as reliable as global warming predictions......

BAM!!!
The Cajun 7 Course Meal; 1 lb. of boudin and a six pack of Abita beer.

Save the Marsh, Eat a Nutria!

Indaswamp
Forum Moderator

Postby Glimmerjim » Sat Aug 03, 2013 10:11 pm

Indaswamp wrote:
ohioboy wrote:

About as reliable as global warming predictions......

BAM!!!

C'mon Inda. You can't be that naive. This morning when I got up it was around 64 degrees. By three pm it was close to 90 degrees. And...........you.............don't........believe........in.......global .......warming! Happens damn near EVERY day and you want to deny it! Jeez buddy, I like ya but I'm starting to worry! :lol3: :lol3: :lol3:
Glimmerjim
hunter

Postby SpinnerMan » Sun Aug 04, 2013 7:00 am

Glimmerjim wrote:I could very well be wrong about this, but it only makes sense to me that there would have to be enough moisture in the air above a certain area to even begin to think about causing rainfall by condensing the moisture or whatever they do. They could do it it 24/7 over the Australian outback and I don't think you'd add a drop.
And even if there is enough moisture there have to be the right conditions to make it rain.

The dew point is one way to express the amount of moisture. I've heard, but who knows if true, that the deserts of Iraq have consistently some of the highest dew points in the world. Meaning they have plenty of moisture in the air.

However, if there is not some driving force to take that moisture and raise it to an elevation where it is cooled below the dew point, I just don't see how they will be able to make rain. Once cooled below the dew point, then the moisture may start to condense, this is where the nucleation sites matter. I have no idea of the details of that part of the process works and how likely seeding is to enhance it.

That driving force can be a mountain. That's why you have a wet side and a dry side and all the seeding in the world won't keep the dry side from being dry. Also there are fronts with one air mass pushing over the top of another. Convective instability is how you get the pop up thunderstorms that many of us see.

I don't understand enough to know when seeding might work, but it seems like those conditions are rare and more likely to help enhance things when rain is likely and rarely to make rain when rain was unlikely.
SpinnerMan
hunter

Postby wanapasaki » Sun Aug 11, 2013 11:40 pm

SpinnerMan wrote:
Glimmerjim wrote:I could very well be wrong about this, but it only makes sense to me that there would have to be enough moisture in the air above a certain area to even begin to think about causing rainfall by condensing the moisture or whatever they do. They could do it it 24/7 over the Australian outback and I don't think you'd add a drop.
And even if there is enough moisture there have to be the right conditions to make it rain.

The dew point is one way to express the amount of moisture. I've heard, but who knows if true, that the deserts of Iraq have consistently some of the highest dew points in the world. Meaning they have plenty of moisture in the air.

However, if there is not some driving force to take that moisture and raise it to an elevation where it is cooled below the dew point, I just don't see how they will be able to make rain. Once cooled below the dew point, then the moisture may start to condense, this is where the nucleation sites matter. I have no idea of the details of that part of the process works and how likely seeding is to enhance it.

That driving force can be a mountain. That's why you have a wet side and a dry side and all the seeding in the world won't keep the dry side from being dry. Also there are fronts with one air mass pushing over the top of another. Convective instability is how you get the pop up thunderstorms that many of us see.

I don't understand enough to know when seeding might work, but it seems like those conditions are rare and more likely to help enhance things when rain is likely and rarely to make rain when rain was unlikely.

I was in Iraq, and August 2006- December 2007 was the wettest place I have ever been :lol3:
wanapasaki
hunter

Return to Controversial Issues Forum