A spot on political cartoon

A forum not related to waterfowl for discussing the more controversial and hot topic issues in our world from immigration, politics, the war, etc..

Moderators: Smackaduck, MM

A spot on political cartoon

Postby SpinnerMan » Fri Aug 02, 2013 11:29 am

A politician thinks of the next election; a statesman of the next generation. A politician looks for the success of his party; a statesman for that of the country. The statesman wished to steer, while the politician was satisfied to drift.
SpinnerMan
hunter

Re: A spot on political cartoon

Postby Andy W » Fri Aug 02, 2013 11:44 am

That's more true than you may know. My neighbors daughter was the office receptionist at the local high school and got cussed regularly by irate parents. They have county coppers in the schools now to handle that crap.
Andy W
hunter

Postby vincentpa » Fri Aug 02, 2013 12:20 pm

Until that changes, our education system will go nowhere.
In a free society, it is not the obligation of the citizen to prove to the government that he is a good person. It is the obligation of the government to prove to the rest of the citizenry that the citizen is a bad person, with probable cause.
vincentpa
hunter

Postby SpinnerMan » Fri Aug 02, 2013 12:43 pm

vincentpa wrote:Until that changes, our education system will go nowhere.
If they gave out all the F's that the kids deserved and they held their ground, I think it would go a lot further than most people think. Regardless, there is no excuse to not do that.

The people go in and yell in part BECAUSE IT WORKS!

The parents are more worried about the embarrassment of the neighbors and relatives knowing the kid had to repeat a grade or perceived status or financial implications (my little Johnny is Harvard material even if he is only a C student in 8th grade English) than they are about the implication of their kid doing subpar or failing work.

If all the yelling in the world wouldn't move a grade, they wouldn't waste their time. This is where the union should get involved and keep the teachers from being harassed by irate parents and back the teachers against any pressure from the administration to violate professional ethics and give a child a grade that he did not deserve.

When I taught an undergraduate engineering graphics course as graduate teaching assistant, the responsible professor and I would sit down and go through the final grades after we graded their final projects. He had a spreadsheet and normally there wasn't much interesting. We'd look at all the students that were right on the cusp to make sure primarily that someone didn't have a 89.9% and get a B when they deserved an A. So we are going through this and the one terrible student has a 70.x grade and barely gets a C mathematically. The professor changes the grade on his individual score on the group project which drops his overall grade to a 69.x and a D. The professor asks if I agree. My response was without hesitation, yes. The next semester we changed how the group projects were done precisely because of this kid. A D was probably generous, but we had him in the group with the best student in the class and she just carried the load so he got top grades from the group portion of the group project that he never earned. Next semester, the top 4 students were in a group, the next 4, and the worst 4 student were stuck with each other. There was a lot less uniformity in the quality of the group projects after that :yes:
A politician thinks of the next election; a statesman of the next generation. A politician looks for the success of his party; a statesman for that of the country. The statesman wished to steer, while the politician was satisfied to drift.
SpinnerMan
hunter

Return to Controversial Issues Forum