Daddy, What Was a Truck Driver?

A forum not related to waterfowl for discussing the more controversial and hot topic issues in our world from immigration, politics, the war, etc..

Moderators: Smackaduck, MM

Daddy, What Was a Truck Driver?

Postby Indaswamp » Tue Aug 06, 2013 2:57 am

Message to 5.7 Million Truck Drivers "No Drivers Needed" Your Job is About to Vanish; Time Marches On, Fed Resistance is Futile
http://globaleconomicanalysis.blogspot.com/2013/08/message-to-57-million-truck-drivers-no.html
The Cajun 7 Course Meal; 1 lb. of boudin and a six pack of Abita beer.

Save the Marsh, Eat a Nutria!

Never fart in your waders, it'll give you WORTS.
Indaswamp
Forum Moderator

Re: Daddy, What Was a Truck Driver?

Postby talltimber » Tue Aug 06, 2013 6:05 am

If it happens, we won't see it.

The article indicated the auto haul trucks had techs miles away. I wouldn't want to be any closer than that.
talltimber
hunter

Postby Andy W » Tue Aug 06, 2013 6:23 am

This guy had a good point in the comments section:

Alchemist: Who will have money to buy the products these automated trucks are hauling? I’d like to know how they expect to sell anything to the vast nation of jobless, impoverished obsolete humans?
Andy W
hunter

Postby swampbilly 1980 » Tue Aug 06, 2013 6:25 am

I don't believe it for a second.
But if they want to really test it, SEND the un-manned trucks to Northern Virginia, and on the Capital Beltway.

Good luck.
Swampbilly1980- I got a feeva',..and the only cure is more Mergansers and face paint.
swampbilly 1980
Forum & State Moderator

Postby SpinnerMan » Tue Aug 06, 2013 8:03 am

Andy W wrote:This guy had a good point in the comments section:

Alchemist: Who will have money to buy the products these automated trucks are hauling? I’d like to know how they expect to sell anything to the vast nation of jobless, impoverished obsolete humans?

It is not a good point at all. It has been the cry of Luddites since the beginning of the industrial revolution and it is just as wrong today and it will be tomorrow even if this were to work beyond our wildest dreams.

I don't see it happening. Not because it can't. I believe that it can, but people would never accept it, the unions would never permit it, and would at a minimum insist on a featherbedder sitting in the cab, but I doubt that they would let it get that far even if absolutely positively proven to be 1000% safer than human drivers.
A politician thinks of the next election; a statesman of the next generation. A politician looks for the success of his party; a statesman for that of the country. The statesman wished to steer, while the politician was satisfied to drift.
SpinnerMan
hunter

Postby swampbilly 1980 » Tue Aug 06, 2013 8:36 am

SpinnerMan wrote:

It is not a good point at all. It has been the cry of Luddites since the beginning of the industrial revolution and it is just as wrong today and it will be tomorrow even if this were to work beyond our wildest dreams.

I don't see it happening. Not because it can't. I believe that it can, but people would never accept it, the unions would never permit it, and would at a minimum insist on a featherbedder sitting in the cab, but I doubt that they would let it get that far even if absolutely positively proven to be 1000% safer than human drivers.

I wonder if the "Nintendo Operator" back at headquarters would have to "log" in his hours same as a driver would. He's going to have to take a nap sooner or later :wink:
Swampbilly1980- I got a feeva',..and the only cure is more Mergansers and face paint.
swampbilly 1980
Forum & State Moderator

Postby ohioboy » Tue Aug 06, 2013 9:17 am

swampbilly 1980 wrote:
SpinnerMan wrote:

I wonder if the "Nintendo Operator" back at headquarters would have to "log" in his hours same as a driver would. He's going to have to take a nap sooner or later :wink:

Don't discount it yet. If it drops prices, people will love it. My bet is Walmart does it first. 20 bucks it happens in ten years.
ohioboy
hunter

Postby ohioboy » Tue Aug 06, 2013 9:22 am

1970s auto worker- "my job will never be done by robots"
2013 auto worker. "Crap. That machine works harder and longer than me."
ohioboy
hunter

Postby beretta24 » Tue Aug 06, 2013 9:31 am

ohioboy wrote:1970s auto worker- "my job will never be done by robots"

No reason this can't be truck drivers
beretta24
State Moderator

Postby SpinnerMan » Tue Aug 06, 2013 10:03 am

And my son that learned how to design, operate, and/or maintain the robots is making a crap load more than I ever dreamed I could turning screws and spot welding tin while my other son that thought he could use dad's cronyism to do the same job as dad is broke, going through his 3rd divorce, and wishing he could get a walmart job.

ohioboy wrote:20 bucks it happens in ten years.

No driver and public roads. Never going to happen. If they get the first private commercial shipment this way in ten years, I'll be glad to give you 20 bucks. I'd be very happy to lose this one, but I don't think I have anything to worry about. Primarily because we will both forget. :lol3:
A politician thinks of the next election; a statesman of the next generation. A politician looks for the success of his party; a statesman for that of the country. The statesman wished to steer, while the politician was satisfied to drift.
SpinnerMan
hunter

Postby Indaswamp » Tue Aug 06, 2013 11:34 am

SpinnerMan wrote:

And my son that learned how to design, operate, and/or maintain the robots is making a crap load more than I ever dreamed I could turning screws and spot welding tin while my other son that thought he could use dad's cronyism to do the same job as dad is broke, going through his 3rd divorce, and wishing he could get a walmart job.

Wait, you have children? I thought you were a DINK, Double income no kids...

Indaswamp
Forum Moderator

Postby SpinnerMan » Tue Aug 06, 2013 11:55 am

Indaswamp wrote:
SpinnerMan wrote:

I hope you got that I was just continue the dialogue of the autoworker.

No, I'm a SINK. Although I have a dog that probably cost more more than most kids :sad: Thankfully, we can live comfortable on one income and my wife isn't forced to try to make some money with all of her health challenges.
SpinnerMan
hunter

Postby Indaswamp » Tue Aug 06, 2013 2:57 pm

SpinnerMan wrote:
Indaswamp wrote:
SpinnerMan wrote:

I hope you got that I was just continue the dialogue of the autoworker.

No, I'm a SINK. Although I have a dog that probably cost more more than most kids :sad: Thankfully, we can live comfortable on one income and my wife isn't forced to try to make some money with all of her health challenges.

missed the continuing dialogue....but I do remember you mentioning that your wife has health issues.

Indaswamp
Forum Moderator

Postby Glimmerjim » Tue Aug 06, 2013 9:03 pm

SpinnerMan wrote: I don't see it happening. Not because it can't. I believe that it can, but people would never accept it, the unions would never permit it, and would at a minimum insist on a featherbedder sitting in the cab, but I doubt that they would let it get that far even if absolutely positively proven to be 1000% safer than human drivers.

I don't think you've addressed the gist of the subject, Spinner. Would this be a positive for mankind, and more specifically the economy, or a negative? Does replacing human labor with automation improve the economy, or is it detrimental to the economy? Take a construction worker for example. At one time there was a great deal of skill required to build quality. In the interests of profits, manufacturers are making products that require less skill to implement on the job. Manufactured vs stick-built housing. Is it a plus or a negative?
Glimmerjim
hunter

Postby TomKat » Tue Aug 06, 2013 9:31 pm

Isn't it always better for the consumer for the means of production to be more efficient?

Crushing the Teamsters once and for all would be a major victory for mankind, no?
TomKat
Dorothy

Postby Indaswamp » Tue Aug 06, 2013 9:35 pm

Glimmerjim wrote:
SpinnerMan wrote: I don't see it happening. Not because it can't. I believe that it can, but people would never accept it, the unions would never permit it, and would at a minimum insist on a featherbedder sitting in the cab, but I doubt that they would let it get that far even if absolutely positively proven to be 1000% safer than human drivers.

I don't think you've addressed the gist of the subject, Spinner. Would this be a positive for mankind, and more specifically the economy, or a negative? Does replacing human labor with automation improve the economy, or is it detrimental to the economy? Take a construction worker for example. At one time there was a great deal of skill required to build quality. In the interests of profits, manufacturers are making products that require less skill to implement on the job. Manufactured vs stick-built housing. Is it a plus or a negative?

should we REALLY go back to crushing grapes with our feet?

Indaswamp
Forum Moderator

Postby Glimmerjim » Tue Aug 06, 2013 9:37 pm

ohioboy wrote:
swampbilly 1980 wrote:
SpinnerMan wrote:

Don't discount it yet. If it drops prices, people will love it. My bet is Walmart does it first. 20 bucks it happens in ten years.

I wouldn't take that bet at 100 to 1 odds, Ohio!
Glimmerjim
hunter

Postby SpinnerMan » Tue Aug 06, 2013 9:39 pm

Glimmerjim wrote:Would this be a positive for mankind, and more specifically the economy, or a negative?
A positive for mankind, a positive for the economy, a positive for quality of life, a positive for the environment, a positive for health and safety, it most definitely would be a positive for the collective good.

Glimmerjim wrote:Does replacing human labor with automation improve the economy, or is it detrimental to the economy?
So far the record is 100% beneficial and 0% detrimental, I see no reason for this to be different. Sure when a business moves in next door to you and provides a better product at a lower price, it's not good for you, but it is good for the economy.

Glimmerjim wrote:Manufactured vs stick-built housing. Is it a plus or a negative?
It's up to the consumer, is it not? If you are poor, manufactured is a big benefit and when you are rich, you can afford the cost of custom built. This is why we see lots of both. Why do you think we see lots of both?
SpinnerMan
hunter

Postby Indaswamp » Tue Aug 06, 2013 9:45 pm

why is it that most liberals do not understand that creative destruction is a good thing? Our Crony Captialist Kleptocracy refuses to let creative destruction happen to the TBTF Banks and Corporations preferring special protection and privilege from the gov.

Indaswamp
Forum Moderator

Postby Glimmerjim » Tue Aug 06, 2013 9:47 pm

TomKat wrote:Isn't it always better for the consumer for the means of production to be more efficient?

Crushing the Teamsters once and for all would be a major victory for mankind, no?

That's where I am going with the question, TK. Not necessarily Unions, but the reduction of employment, or reduction of skills required, resulting in reduction of remuneration for a large group. The perceived benefit to the consumer in lower prices is not necessarily the long-term benefit it appears to be, in my opinion. Does the ability to purchase MORE consumer goods, due in part to lower manufacturing costs, always benefit the personal, or national, economy? An example....work at WalMart....you have no choice but to shop at WalMart. Who is ultimately benefitting?
Glimmerjim
hunter

Postby Glimmerjim » Tue Aug 06, 2013 9:50 pm

So, by extrapolation, transferring all manufacturing to countries with the lowest pay scales, discounting tariffs etc., is the best thing that could happen to America?
Glimmerjim
hunter

Postby Indaswamp » Tue Aug 06, 2013 9:52 pm

Glimmerjim wrote:So, by extrapolation, transferring all manufacturing to countries with the lowest pay scales, discounting tariffs etc., is the best thing that could happen to America?

that has been going on for a while now with globalization....not saying it's right or wrong, but it is reality.

Indaswamp
Forum Moderator

Postby SpinnerMan » Tue Aug 06, 2013 10:14 pm

Glimmerjim wrote:So, by extrapolation, transferring all manufacturing to countries with the lowest pay scales, discounting tariffs etc., is the best thing that could happen to America?

Read some basic economics so you don't make statements that will never happen in the real world and than ask if these fantasies would be good or bad if they weren't fantasies.

Free trade makes the average person wealthier because they get more value for their labor than they other wise would have and get the products at a lower price than they otherwise would have.

Granted, if the system is rigged in your favor, or you are working for a dying company, or many other situations where harming the average American benefits you.

We want to encourage the most capital intensive industries on the planet to come to the U.S. because they tend to have by far the highest worker productivity and therefore they highest potential sustainable worker compensation.

If a business produces an average of $1 per worker, it cannot pay more than $1. If it generates $1,000,000 per worker, it has the potential to be sustainable up to a $1,000,000 per worker. It's why a farmer with a tractor can make more than a farmer with a mule and why a farmer with a fleet of remote controlled tractors could make far more than a farmer with asses in the seats.

It's not just theory, it has been demonstrated the world over throughout history.
SpinnerMan
hunter

Postby Glimmerjim » Wed Aug 07, 2013 12:50 am

SpinnerMan wrote: Read some basic economics so you don't make statements that will never happen in the real world and than ask if these fantasies would be good or bad if they weren't fantasies.

I think I'll save some time and just quote you on this one, Spinner. "Stupid is as stupid does." You honestly believe that the over consumption of cheap, inferior, products produced out of country with essential slave labor is the role model for success in a country? Are you a WalMart shopper? Because if you are there is no reason to even continue this conversation. WalMart is the biggest example of the damage inflicted upon society by the reduction of business to those that can provide the least expensive product. It completely disregards the impact on a town, an economy, and an individual. To be able to even visualize the WalMart model of business as a positive must require glasses with 3" think lenses. Produced, of course, in Vietnam.
Glimmerjim
hunter

Postby Indaswamp » Wed Aug 07, 2013 1:04 am

Glimmerjim wrote:

SpinnerMan wrote: Read some basic economics so you don't make statements that will never happen in the real world and than ask if these fantasies would be good or bad if they weren't fantasies.

I think I'll save some time and just quote you on this one, Spinner. "Stupid is as stupid does." You honestly believe that the over consumption of cheap, inferior, products produced out of country with essential slave labor is the role model for success in a country? Are you a WalMart shopper? Because if you are there is no reason to even continue this conversation. WalMart is the biggest example of the damage inflicted upon society by the reduction of business to those that can provide the least expensive product. It completely disregards the impact on a town, an economy, and an individual. To be able to even visualize the WalMart model of business as a positive must require glasses with 3" think lenses. Produced, of course, in Vietnam.

The US can not enforce our labor laws around the globe. What do you propose?

Indaswamp
Forum Moderator

Next

Return to Controversial Issues Forum