Daddy, What Was a Truck Driver?

A forum not related to waterfowl for discussing the more controversial and hot topic issues in our world from immigration, politics, the war, etc..

Moderators: Smackaduck, MM

Re: Daddy, What Was a Truck Driver?

Postby AKPirate » Wed Aug 07, 2013 1:42 am

Drones will be delivering pizzas, groceries, mail etc. in the future. They will be the last line of the delivery vehicle. Trans to the delivery sites is economics- rail, ships, floats, trucks, etc.
AKPirate
hunter

Postby Glimmerjim » Wed Aug 07, 2013 1:49 am

Indaswamp wrote:
Glimmerjim wrote:So, by extrapolation, transferring all manufacturing to countries with the lowest pay scales, discounting tariffs etc., is the best thing that could happen to America?

that has been going on for a while now with globalization....not saying it's right or wrong, but it is reality.

I agree 100% Inda. And do you consider the economy of the USA as benefitting from it?
Glimmerjim
hunter

Postby Glimmerjim » Wed Aug 07, 2013 1:50 am

TomKat wrote:Isn't it always better for the consumer for the means of production to be more efficient?

Crushing the Teamsters once and for all would be a major victory for mankind, no?

Um, in a word.....no.
Glimmerjim
hunter

Postby Indaswamp » Wed Aug 07, 2013 2:00 am

Glimmerjim wrote:
Indaswamp wrote:
Glimmerjim wrote:So, by extrapolation, transferring all manufacturing to countries with the lowest pay scales, discounting tariffs etc., is the best thing that could happen to America?

that has been going on for a while now with globalization....not saying it's right or wrong, but it is reality.

I agree 100% Inda. And do you consider the economy of the USA as benefitting from it?

depends on how it is quantified....
The Cajun 7 Course Meal; 1 lb. of boudin and a six pack of Abita beer.

Save the Marsh, Eat a Nutria!

Never fart in your waders, it'll give you WORTS.
Indaswamp
Forum Moderator

Postby Glimmerjim » Wed Aug 07, 2013 2:11 am

Indaswamp wrote:
Glimmerjim wrote:

SpinnerMan wrote: Read some basic economics so you don't make statements that will never happen in the real world and than ask if these fantasies would be good or bad if they weren't fantasies.

I think I'll save some time and just quote you on this one, Spinner. "Stupid is as stupid does." You honestly believe that the over consumption of cheap, inferior, products produced out of country with essential slave labor is the role model for success in a country? Are you a WalMart shopper? Because if you are there is no reason to even continue this conversation. WalMart is the biggest example of the damage inflicted upon society by the reduction of business to those that can provide the least expensive product. It completely disregards the impact on a town, an economy, and an individual. To be able to even visualize the WalMart model of business as a positive must require glasses with 3" think lenses. Produced, of course, in Vietnam.

The US can not enforce our labor laws around the globe. What do you propose?

That the US go back to producing quality products at a reasonable price. That a "Made in the USA" label on a product means something to the average citizen. That we stop considering whether we can buy a sweatshirt for 3.99 at WalMart, or 12.99 at a store that sells products produced by employees that receive a living pay and benefits. Products that are made with pride and quality and can last, instead of being so cheaply constructed that the decent lifespan is measured in weeks or months, not years. That the price is appreciated by other working citizens as a reflection of the time and pride invested into it by a US citizen doing the best job he can in all facets of his job.
Not......Not.....the manner in which to transfer the vast majority of company proceeds to the stockholders and management. Not...to make the employee dependent upon the entitlement system to provide for their family while doing their best at a workplace with ridiculous profits....Not..to keep swaying the income discrepancy to a smaller percentage of the populace, and then having them complain about the drag on the economy due to people seeking entitlements in order to survive at a level that the CEO would consider as barbaric.
In other words.....our rapid descention to a society with no other rational sobriquet than a Plutocracy. You Conservatives worry about the abrogation of Constitutional Rights due to attempts, misguided at times, perhaps, to improve our society. Once we have a small ruling class, even more than we have today, you watch your individual rights. They will make a spitoon look like an operating room. And for the VAST majority of you, you won't be in a sterile room with concerned professionals looking over you.....your every day will be an attempt to avoid the spittle cast at you.
Glimmerjim
hunter

Postby Glimmerjim » Wed Aug 07, 2013 2:13 am

Indaswamp wrote:
Glimmerjim wrote:
Indaswamp wrote:

Please define in what terms you would like me to answer that, Inda. As you fully realize, I am not an expert in economics. I simply attempt to see things through unfiltered eyes with a common sense approach. I may often fail. But that is my objective.
Glimmerjim
hunter

Postby Elvis Kiwi » Wed Aug 07, 2013 2:47 am

as a professional truck driver GOOD LUCK I cant see any drone/auto piloted/remote controlled truck doing my job safer than I can and YES before you ask I have been in a crash/tip over caused by stock moving while rounding a bend at a slow speed(lets see your robot get around that one!!!) I also cant see the $$$$ stacking up..if rail isnt more cost effective because of time issues how can you build a network of special roads to replace it???? because if you are talking of moving freight from A to B well thats a railway by any other name. how will these robots cope spreading fert out in a paddock with stock that can step in front of you at any time??? at $1500 per cow you wont hit many before the robot at 75% of the price of a man in seat becomes too expensive. and how about water puddles that will get you stuck??? happens to the best of us at least once a month...do they call a robot tow truck to pull them out? or get on cell phone /R.T. and ask for help?
in a home delivery
oh dear robot this packaging is ripped I wont sign for it/accept delivery untill its been inspected please wait????
cant see it happening
put this truck/robot on a public road and the suicidal inclined will have a field day...44 ton bearing down with nobody to hit the brakes/swerve out of the way. and how about the poor guy down a man hole in the roadway doing repairs...man I can see the law suits stacking up already.
Terminator movies have beaten this one to death already.
Elvis Kiwi
hunter

Postby Glimmerjim » Wed Aug 07, 2013 3:00 am

Elvis Kiwi wrote:as a professional truck driver GOOD LUCK I cant see any drone/auto piloted/remote controlled truck doing my job safer than I can and YES before you ask I have been in a crash/tip over caused by stock moving while rounding a bend at a slow speed(lets see your robot get around that one!!!) I also cant see the $$$$ stacking up..if rail isnt more cost effective because of time issues how can you build a network of special roads to replace it???? because if you are talking of moving freight from A to B well thats a railway by any other name. how will these robots cope spreading fert out in a paddock with stock that can step in front of you at any time??? at $1500 per cow you wont hit many before the robot at 75% of the price of a man in seat becomes too expensive. and how about water puddles that will get you stuck??? happens to the best of us at least once a month...do they call a robot tow truck to pull them out? or get on cell phone /R.T. and ask for help?
in a home delivery
oh dear robot this packaging is ripped I wont sign for it/accept delivery untill its been inspected please wait????
cant see it happening
put this truck/robot on a public road and the suicidal inclined will have a field day...44 ton bearing down with nobody to hit the brakes/swerve out of the way. and how about the poor guy down a man hole in the roadway doing repairs...man I can see the law suits stacking up already.
Terminator movies have beaten this one to death already.

I understand your position, Elvis, but I think you are giving short shrift to the technological capabilities of unmanned vehicles in the near future. They can be programmed to respond exponentially quicker than a human, with the various options of avoidance almost instantly calculated and initiated. Of course there will be law suits, especially against a new system, but let's think.....how many lawsuits are currently initiated against professional drivers? With all the human faults. weaknesses and frailties removed, or minimized, from the picture, do you see the potential for liability going up? Especially if the system proves itself to be exponentially safer?
Glimmerjim
hunter

Postby Elvis Kiwi » Wed Aug 07, 2013 3:40 am

might be possible on main routes like a railway but too many variables for anywhere else. just my take as I do this for a living and know whats what with the job.
Elvis Kiwi
hunter

Postby swampbilly 1980 » Wed Aug 07, 2013 4:46 am

AKPirate wrote:Drones will be delivering pizzas,

Good.
I can save that $5.00 tip and use it for peelers :yes: :thumbsup:
Swampbilly1980- I got a feeva',..and the only cure is more Mergansers and face paint.
swampbilly 1980
Forum & State Moderator

Postby SpinnerMan » Wed Aug 07, 2013 5:57 am

Glimmerjim wrote:Not......Not.....the manner in which to transfer the vast majority of company proceeds to the stockholders and management.
Who do you think the stockholders are? Where do you think those union pensions are invested? Oh that's right, government IOUs and not invested in American companies. Employees, good employees, that desire to do so move up in the management. Employees buy stock to save for retirement. It all works Jim to create a more prosperous life for everybody, IF it is allowed to work and the government protects rights and doesn't try to "properly" spread the wealth around which in practice is nothing more than destroying wealth so there is less, especially among the "right" people, except for the connected crooks.
A politician thinks of the next election; a statesman of the next generation. A politician looks for the success of his party; a statesman for that of the country. The statesman wished to steer, while the politician was satisfied to drift.
SpinnerMan
hunter

Postby TomKat » Wed Aug 07, 2013 6:40 am

Glimmerjim wrote:
TomKat wrote:Isn't it always better for the consumer for the means of production to be more efficient?

Crushing the Teamsters once and for all would be a major victory for mankind, no?

Um, in a word.....no.

Well, forgive me then.

The second question had me kind of flustered, it was more of a dream than a question.

A world with no teamsters....yeah baby..... :yes: :yes: :yes: :yes: :beer:

WHEW! Getting a little X-rated here!!! :oops:

Ahhhh the teamsters....so surly, so lazy.

OKAY Jimmy, this is the part where you tell me how wrong I am and why I need the teamsters.
TomKat
Dorothy

Postby Glimmerjim » Wed Aug 07, 2013 10:44 am

TomKat wrote:
Glimmerjim wrote:

Um, in a word.....no.

Well, forgive me then.

The second question had me kind of flustered, it was more of a dream than a question.

OKAY Jimmy, this is the part where you tell me how wrong I am and why I need the teamsters.

We're just on polar opposite sides of the Union concept, TK. I, also, see problems with many, but I see corrections take place when they become too self-serving. Just getting rid of the Unions is throwing out the baby with the bath water in my opinion.
Glimmerjim
hunter

Postby Indaswamp » Wed Aug 07, 2013 10:55 am

Glimmerjim wrote:
Indaswamp wrote:
Glimmerjim wrote:
Indaswamp wrote:

Please define in what terms you would like me to answer that, Inda. As you fully realize, I am not an expert in economics. I simply attempt to see things through unfiltered eyes with a common sense approach. I may often fail. But that is my objective.

Not sure if you realize how that reads or not, but it does explain a lot.... :lol3:
The Cajun 7 Course Meal; 1 lb. of boudin and a six pack of Abita beer.

Save the Marsh, Eat a Nutria!

Never fart in your waders, it'll give you WORTS.
Indaswamp
Forum Moderator

Postby ScaupHunter » Wed Aug 07, 2013 11:03 am

Beat me to it Inda! :lol3:
Bella's
Decoy Setting Pro Staff
Boat Operator Pro Staff
Duck Shooting Pro Staff
Warm Towel Pro Staff
Snack Supply Pro Staff

He works for free! Who's the B now?
ScaupHunter
hunter

Postby TomKat » Wed Aug 07, 2013 1:01 pm

Glimmerjim wrote:
TomKat wrote:
Glimmerjim wrote:

Um, in a word.....no.

Well, forgive me then.

We're just on polar opposite sides of the Union concept, TK. I, also, see problems with many, but I see corrections take place when they become too self-serving. Just getting rid of the Unions is throwing out the baby with the bath water in my opinion.

Now that UAW has picked Detroit down to the bone is it ok if we kick them out up there?

Was it all Bush's fault ?

Just a guess on my part.

I respect most union electricians I have known, BTW
TomKat
Dorothy

Postby ohioboy » Wed Aug 07, 2013 1:25 pm

TomKat wrote:
Glimmerjim wrote:
TomKat wrote:
Glimmerjim wrote:

Um, in a word.....no.

Well, forgive me then.

Now that UAW has picked Detroit down to the bone is it ok if we kick them out up there?

Was it all Bush's fault ?

Just a guess on my part.

I respect most union electricians I have known, BTW

Funny you mentioned electricians. Two I know are paid NOT to work over half of the year.
ohioboy
hunter

Postby Elvis Kiwi » Wed Aug 07, 2013 1:52 pm

robotic sparkies??? now imagine them wiring up YOUR house :huh: :huh:
no thankyou very much. the circuits still need to be checked off by human eyes.
Elvis Kiwi
hunter

Postby Glimmerjim » Fri Aug 09, 2013 10:25 pm

Indaswamp wrote:
Glimmerjim wrote:
Indaswamp wrote:
Glimmerjim wrote:
Indaswamp wrote:

Not sure if you realize how that reads or not, but it does explain a lot.... :lol3:

You're right, Inda. Didn't come out quite as intended! :lol3:
Glimmerjim
hunter

Postby Glimmerjim » Fri Aug 09, 2013 10:28 pm

Elvis Kiwi wrote:robotic sparkies??? now imagine them wiring up YOUR house :huh: :huh:
no thankyou very much. the circuits still need to be checked off by human eyes.

Yet the time invested by electricians, carpenters, plumbers on the job will be minimized as manufactured housing becomes more popular (which it will). You should see the changes that occured in the relatively short time I was in the industry. These changes are all designed to reduce man/hours and associated costs. I think that is true of just about every industry, and wonder what the impact will be, ultimately?
Glimmerjim
hunter

Postby Glimmerjim » Fri Aug 09, 2013 10:30 pm

ohioboy wrote: Funny you mentioned electricians. Two I know are paid NOT to work over half of the year.

How so, Ohio?
Glimmerjim
hunter

Postby SpinnerMan » Sat Aug 10, 2013 6:46 am

Glimmerjim wrote:These changes are all designed to reduce man/hours and associated costs. I think that is true of just about every industry, and wonder what the impact will be, ultimately?
The same as it has been since man's first labor saving tool. Higher productive and a greater quality of life, especially for those making less :thumbsup:

As long as the government doesn't try to spread the wealth around in the way that the politicians would like to see it spread. That leads to lower productive and lower quality of life. How far the politicians are allowed to go spreading the wealth "fairly" determines how far the quality of life is degraded relative to what it could be.
A politician thinks of the next election; a statesman of the next generation. A politician looks for the success of his party; a statesman for that of the country. The statesman wished to steer, while the politician was satisfied to drift.
SpinnerMan
hunter

Postby beretta24 » Sun Aug 11, 2013 8:03 am

garyt wrote:
Glimmerjim wrote:

SpinnerMan wrote: Read some basic economics so you don't make statements that will never happen in the real world and than ask if these fantasies would be good or bad if they weren't fantasies.

I think I'll save some time and just quote you on this one, Spinner. "Stupid is as stupid does." You honestly believe that the over consumption of cheap, inferior, products produced out of country with essential slave labor is the role model for success in a country? Are you a WalMart shopper? Because if you are there is no reason to even continue this conversation. WalMart is the biggest example of the damage inflicted upon society by the reduction of business to those that can provide the least expensive product. It completely disregards the impact on a town, an economy, and an individual. To be able to even visualize the WalMart model of business as a positive must require glasses with 3" think lenses. Produced, of course, in Vietnam.

+1

Someone who 'gets it'

Wal Mart isnt what it seems. This photo essay explains WHO Wal Mart is..enjoy

http://servv89pn0aj.sn.sourcedns.com/~g ... altons.htm

http://servv89pn0aj.sn.sourcedns.com/~g ... almart.htm

If you took the time to think about this critically you would realize Walmart merely filled a new hole in our society. A hole created when average Joes decided having another big screen tv was more important than spending an extra few bucks to shop at the local mom and pop hardware and grocery stores.

The values of the population have changed and Walmart has taken advantage. That's not to say large corps don't then influence policy, but that again is a symptom of the general population. If people are only going to vote for the candidates that have a large financial backing they are only going to vote for those in the pockets of said corps.
beretta24
State Moderator

Postby SpinnerMan » Sun Aug 11, 2013 9:06 am

beretta24 wrote: more important than spending an extra few bucks to shop at the local mom and pop hardware and grocery stores.
What did mom and pop pay the people working for them and how did the treat them? What were the prospects of advancing to a career with a mom and pop if your name is not Jr.

Where I am from Walmart is a big step up in compensation for the workers. Why do you think they are overwhelmed with applications in many if not most of their locations? People looking for a worse situation than they have :no:

It was a godsend when the Walmart came to my home town area. As opposed to having to run around to 3 different towns and 6 different stores and wasting hours and a lot of gas just to hope you could find what you were looking for and hope it was a good price, you could go to one stop shopping. And then guess what happened, Lowes built down the street, then they built another big shopping center down the street from Lowes. All these paying better nearly every mom and pop shop while selling the same products from China as mom and pop, but doing so for a lot less with a lot more convenience and vastly more selection than all the mom and pops combined. The only people angry are mom and pop because they can't over charge their customers and underpay their workers like they used to.
SpinnerMan
hunter

Postby slowshooter » Sun Aug 11, 2013 12:07 pm

Gary is correct. Walmart comes to town and there is a net job loss. And folks are paid less.

What a "Great Value".
All this for a bowl of borscht.
slowshooter
hunter

PreviousNext

Return to Controversial Issues Forum