Wait...

A forum not related to waterfowl for discussing the more controversial and hot topic issues in our world from immigration, politics, the war, etc..

Moderators: Smackaduck, MM

Wait...

Postby assateague » Tue Aug 06, 2013 12:22 pm

I thought al Qaeda was "on the run", and Benghazi was the result of a "hurtful video". There have been examples of "workplace violence", and "misguided teens", but no terrorism.

But yet now, the United States is acting like the kid who just handed over his lunch money to the playground bully. Closing embassies all over the world because of a "credible threat"? Well, then, let's just pack everybody up and bring them home. Save a few dollars. Yet we have an administration who refuses to even acknowledge the "war on terror", as if it doesn't exist. So tell me again, why are all the embassies being shuttered so that we may cower in fear?

Amid online "chatter" about terror threats, U.S. diplomatic posts in 19 cities in the Muslim world will be closed at least through the end of this week, the State Department said.

And as the U.S. keeps closed more than 20 embassies and consulates in the Middle East and Africa, District residents watch and worry—even though security levels here seem to be business as usual.

http://www.wjla.com/articles/2013/08/terror-threat-prompts-u-s-embassies-to-close-92284.html

Maybe it was just another YouTube video which we aren't aware of yet that has the religion of peacers so agitated. Since it can't be terrorism, because that isn't a problem anymore. Right.
WOLVERINES

Give a man a fish and he eats for a day. Let a man vote to give himself a fish and he eats until society collapses.
assateague
Emu hunter extraordinaire

Re: Wait...

Postby vincentpa » Tue Aug 06, 2013 1:11 pm

No, the terrorists aren't on the run. We're on the run, from them. It's funny to read the liberals bashing Barry for his declaration of the end of the war on terror in the liberal Washington Post and the NY Times.

What's just as sad is the press is reporting how we know there may be imminent attacks. :fingerhead: They just never learn to keep operational secrets.

The terrorists are idiots too. Don't they know that everyone in Europe and the States are on vacation and not paying a bit of attention to the news? They should've waited until the fall to plan their attacks. Then they could've had maximum exposure on the TV.

We all pay the price for Barry's foolishness.
In a free society, it is not the obligation of the citizen to prove to the government that he is a good person. It is the obligation of the government to prove to the rest of the citizenry that the citizen is a bad person, with probable cause.
vincentpa
hunter

Postby SpinnerMan » Tue Aug 06, 2013 1:18 pm

assateague wrote:why are all the embassies being shuttered so that we may cower in fear?
It sure as hell sends the message of weakness and fear.

Given that terrorism is about evoking fear as much as harm, arguably it has already been another Al Qaeda success without a shot being fired.

Every day we should be expecting this kind of thing. If they get specific intelligence, shut the Image up, double check all your precautions, quietly add whatever additional security you think you need, and if possible take preemptive :eek: yep, preemptive action.

This just seems the worst possible response imaginable. We project fear and weakness and tell the terrorist exactly what we were able to intercept so they can take care not to have it intercepted again and move any people that could be in danger because of these intercepts.

Or hell, they can just keep sending out disinformation and watch us run for cover.

Image Image
A politician thinks of the next election; a statesman of the next generation. A politician looks for the success of his party; a statesman for that of the country. The statesman wished to steer, while the politician was satisfied to drift.
SpinnerMan
hunter

Postby ctdeathfrombelow » Tue Aug 06, 2013 1:31 pm

I for one am skeptical about the new "terror threats" amid the discovery of NSA's agenda to indiscriminately spy on its citizens. A part of me feels at the very least the reports are an exaggeration of immanency / severity of these threats, so people can express a need for surveillance internally and externally.
ctdeathfrombelow
hunter

Postby TomKat » Tue Aug 06, 2013 1:38 pm

Dear Leader will be on Leno tonight to make you feel better about things.

Its all bush's fault
TomKat
Dorothy

Postby SpinnerMan » Tue Aug 06, 2013 1:48 pm

ctdeathfrombelow wrote:I for one am skeptical about the new "terror threats" amid the discovery of NSA's agenda to indiscriminately spy on its citizens. A part of me feels at the very least the reports are an exaggeration of immanency / severity of these threats, so people can express a need for surveillance internally and externally.

Then they would be sending a message of courage and strength and not duck and cover.
A politician thinks of the next election; a statesman of the next generation. A politician looks for the success of his party; a statesman for that of the country. The statesman wished to steer, while the politician was satisfied to drift.
SpinnerMan
hunter

Postby beretta24 » Tue Aug 06, 2013 3:02 pm

Disagree....fear rules the sheep. They convey fear since most the population is more concerned about their own ass than how we are perceived or present ourselves to the world.

That's how you control the masses.
beretta24
State Moderator

Postby SpinnerMan » Tue Aug 06, 2013 3:13 pm

I don't think the masses are worried about this. Are there any signs of reaction at all among the masses?
SpinnerMan
hunter

Postby beretta24 » Tue Aug 06, 2013 3:19 pm

SpinnerMan wrote:I don't think the masses are worried about this. Are there any signs of reaction at all among the masses?

Not to this, but I think it could soften the reaction to the NSA and other bs.
beretta24
State Moderator

Postby SpinnerMan » Tue Aug 06, 2013 4:10 pm

beretta24 wrote:
SpinnerMan wrote:I don't think the masses are worried about this. Are there any signs of reaction at all among the masses?

OK, I get your point. I could see how it could be a lame attempt to do this and sending the message of nothing to fear would be counterproductive.

I don't think that is what it is, but it is not inconsistent with that.
SpinnerMan
hunter

Postby ohioboy » Tue Aug 06, 2013 8:26 pm

beretta24 wrote:

Agree.
ohioboy
hunter

Postby Glimmerjim » Tue Aug 06, 2013 8:50 pm

I see it more as CYA after Benghazi. "We are doing everything within our power to protect those in our embassies abroad....yada yada yada..."
Glimmerjim
hunter

Postby assateague » Tue Aug 06, 2013 8:54 pm

But Benghazi was about a movie. There's been no new crappy YouRube Muhammad videos, so what's to fear?
WOLVERINES

Give a man a fish and he eats for a day. Let a man vote to give himself a fish and he eats until society collapses.
assateague

Postby ohioboy » Tue Aug 06, 2013 9:47 pm

assateague wrote:But Benghazi was about a movie. There's been no new crappy YouRube Muhammad videos, so what's to fear?

they are fasting and irritable.
ohioboy
hunter

Postby Glimmerjim » Wed Aug 07, 2013 12:54 am

assateague wrote:But Benghazi was about a movie. There's been no new crappy YouRube Muhammad videos, so what's to fear?

That was a take on the situation formulated as it occurred. Do you believe that is the only precipitator of attacks on US holdings in this day and age? I don't recall a movie prior to 9/11, but perhaps I just missed it. I'd be interested in watching it, however, if you would give me the title. :thumbsup:
Glimmerjim
hunter

Postby slowshooter » Wed Aug 07, 2013 3:31 am

People died at Benghazi. You complain. The embassies close to keep more people from dying. You complain.

Maybe it's not Obama. Maybe you guys are simply complainers. :lol3:
All this for a bowl of borscht.
slowshooter
hunter

Postby Glimmerjim » Wed Aug 07, 2013 3:36 am

slowshooter wrote:People died at Benghazi. You complain. The embassies close to keep more people from dying. You complain.

I'd say that sums it up pretty concisely, Slow! :thumbsup:
Glimmerjim
hunter

Postby vincentpa » Wed Aug 07, 2013 5:21 am

slowshooter wrote:People died at Benghazi. You complain. The embassies close to keep more people from dying. You complain.

You've missed the point as usual.
In a free society, it is not the obligation of the citizen to prove to the government that he is a good person. It is the obligation of the government to prove to the rest of the citizenry that the citizen is a bad person, with probable cause.
vincentpa
hunter

Postby beretta24 » Wed Aug 07, 2013 5:32 am

The population starting to care about us running guns through there, and getting pissed about the IRS, NSA, etc....good distraction. Maybe. Maybe just foolishly telling the enemy their winning. Why we couldn't close embassies without press conferences is beyond me.
beretta24
State Moderator

Postby assateague » Wed Aug 07, 2013 9:52 am

Glimmerjim wrote:

Both of you are amazingly far from the point. But feel free to keep stroking each other.
WOLVERINES

assateague

Postby stackemhigh » Wed Aug 07, 2013 11:29 am

Glimmerjim wrote:

:clapping:
stackemhigh
hunter

Return to Controversial Issues Forum