Hey Ohio- A test for today

A forum not related to waterfowl for discussing the more controversial and hot topic issues in our world from immigration, politics, the war, etc..

Moderators: Smackaduck, MM

Re: Hey Ohio- A test for today

Postby Indaswamp » Fri Aug 09, 2013 9:03 am

SpinnerMan wrote:
Indaswamp wrote:I'll give you a real life example-The famous New Orleans blackened redfish was a mistake! But look at how successful that was. A craze took off and people are making a lot of money selling "Blackened Redfish Seasoning".

Look at chewing gum....that was a mistake as well. but look at the profits in that industry-all from a mistake!

No, they just thought it was a mistake, but they were mistaken :yes:

My father told me that he thought he was wrong once, but he was mistaken. :lol3:

I will concede that not every mistake turns out to be a negative. However the vast majority of mistakes are bad. Trial and error is not beneficial if you don't eventually stop making errors. If the errors weren't bad, you would just keep repeating them would you not? :yes: If you do keep repeating them, it means you are either insane and/or your intent is to not solve the problem and when it comes to liberals and their agenda, it seems both apply.

Can a person learn how to weld without making mistakes? No.

It is a mindset and a mental negative perception people have attached to making mistakes because of formal schooling conditioning.
The Cajun 7 Course Meal; 1 lb. of boudin and a six pack of Abita beer.

Save the Marsh, Eat a Nutria!

Image
User avatar
Indaswamp
Forum Moderator
 
Posts: 56496
Joined: Thu Aug 07, 2008 8:40 pm
Location: South Louisiana


Re: Hey Ohio- A test for today

Postby ohioboy » Fri Aug 09, 2013 9:05 am

Gunnysway wrote:Once you've done your critical thinking, how do you remember what you learned?

Memorization maybe...?

How can you have one and not the other?

Memorization: is the process of committing what's learned to memory. The act of memorization is often a deliberate mental process undertaken in order to store in memory for later recall, items such as names, experiences, stories, pictures, FACTS, music or other visual, auditory, or tactical information.

Just sayin'

Gunny

Yes, but it also is a hugely useful skill to learn how to think with that memorization and adapt to a new problem. Cooking would be a perfect example. My marinades are top notch from years of practice. I know what ingredients will work well together. Or if i am somewhere i dont have everything i want, i have to improvise. Correct? Does that make sense?
User avatar
ohioboy
hunter
 
Posts: 2338
Joined: Mon Apr 06, 2009 9:28 pm
Location: MoCo, MD

Re: Hey Ohio- A test for today

Postby ohioboy » Fri Aug 09, 2013 9:07 am

Indaswamp wrote:
SpinnerMan wrote:
Indaswamp wrote:I'll give you a real life example-The famous New Orleans blackened redfish was a mistake! But look at how successful that was. A craze took off and people are making a lot of money selling "Blackened Redfish Seasoning".

Look at chewing gum....that was a mistake as well. but look at the profits in that industry-all from a mistake!

No, they just thought it was a mistake, but they were mistaken :yes:

My father told me that he thought he was wrong once, but he was mistaken. :lol3:

I will concede that not every mistake turns out to be a negative. However the vast majority of mistakes are bad. Trial and error is not beneficial if you don't eventually stop making errors. If the errors weren't bad, you would just keep repeating them would you not? :yes: If you do keep repeating them, it means you are either insane and/or your intent is to not solve the problem and when it comes to liberals and their agenda, it seems both apply.

Can a person learn how to weld without making mistakes? No.

It is a mindset and a mental negative perception people have attached to making mistakes because of formal schooling conditioning.

Again, maybe when you were in school.
User avatar
ohioboy
hunter
 
Posts: 2338
Joined: Mon Apr 06, 2009 9:28 pm
Location: MoCo, MD

Re: Hey Ohio- A test for today

Postby vincentpa » Fri Aug 09, 2013 9:10 am

ohioboy wrote:
vincentpa wrote:
ohioboy wrote:
vincentpa wrote:That's funny that Spinner pointed out how useless it is to waste time with obsolete technology. I do a ton of math everyday in my personal and professional life. If I couldn't use basic math, I would be screwed. I got into a debate with my brother about 10 years ago. I was appalled when I found out the school allowed his high school and grade school aged children to use calculators in math class. He bought into the garbage the school was selling that the kids needed to understand and use the latest technology bawhahahaha! A calculator! I told him if the kids can't learn the basics without the use of a tool, they will never grasp the subject. You have to master the basics to advance to be able to use a tool that facilitates the problem. A computer is absolutely unnecessary to learn math, science, English or history. There is probably no one on this site except IT guys that uses a computer more than I to accomplish work. They don't count because their job is setting up computers for guys like me to utilize. The point is that I have to know the basics of math and engineering to be able to write programs and understand when the results given to me by the tool I'm utilizing to simplify my tasks is giving me garbage. I made it through grade school, high school and four semesters of calculus never using that new fangled invention called a calculator. It was unnecessary.


Sent from my iPhone 5, which sucks my cojones. Don't buy one.


Good job. :lol:



:huh:

Yet another clever response.

Your entire argument is couched in excuses for your failures. Everytime the debate starts about education, you immediately go on the defensive with poor excuses as to why your students can't learn. You are so deluded that you are the only one that can't see this. Excuses are like a-holes. Everybody has one. The only thing that matters is results; and yours are poor. You can't escape that fact.

What was I supposed to say? You get a gold star for being super smart in math?

Not everyone is on your level. I am not, or in math at least, for sure. That entire paragraph was about how smart you are.


No it wasn't. The point obviously flew over your head.
In a free society, it is not the obligation of the citizen to prove to the government that he is a good person. It is the obligation of the government to prove to the rest of the citizenry that the citizen is a bad person, with probable cause.
User avatar
vincentpa
hunter
 
Posts: 7715
Joined: Wed Nov 10, 2010 6:50 am
Location: Pittsburgh, PA

Re: Hey Ohio- A test for today

Postby SpinnerMan » Fri Aug 09, 2013 9:24 am

Indaswamp wrote:Can a person learn how to weld without making mistakes? No.
But if mistakes were not bad, why would they ever stop making them. If not bad, why do people try not to make them? :huh:

Indaswamp wrote:It is a mindset and a mental negative perception people have attached to making mistakes because of formal schooling conditioning.
I believe I agree with the point that you are making, but mistakes are bad. If they were not bad, there would be no reason to try and avoid making them, would there?

ohioboy wrote:It seems that people have a problem with the educational system as a whole, but when they list what they want I generally do them in my class.
And this is precisely the problem. There are many huge problem with the education system as a whole. However, it is not wholly problematic. You take it personal and many critics make it person.

My criticism of you is very specific. As a professional, assuming you view yourself that way and not simply as a worker, you have an ethical responsibility as a professional that extends beyond just doing your job adequately. If I believed that there was a problem with the safety standards, I as a professional have an ethical responsibility to do more than say that I'm doing my job well and wash your hands of it. I don't see the teaching profession speaking out about the horrible education outcomes that are all too common. I hear whining about the parents, about wanting more money, the administration, required testing, and all the excuses about why other people are doing the wrong thing and very little roll up your sleeves and make the best with what you have and with average spending somewhere on the order of $150,000 and often a quarter of a million dollars or more per classroom and a powerful union, it's not like the resources available are a pittance.

We should have a serious quality assurance program for every child. Every child has great value, so we want to ensure that to the extent possible that every single child gets a quality education. To certify that a child has received that when they have not is professional fraud. It should be criminal if it is too egregious, but its clearly unethical and unprofessional. If you get defrauded by a business, you will be furious. So why shouldn't students, parents, and society be furious if a child gets a diploma fraudulently or is even promoted one grade based on a fraudulent certification that they have done so. It would be like taking your kid to get swimming lessons and they go for years and get their life guard certification and have yet to master the basic beginner skills.

Every single diploma, every single grade promotion, every step should be subject to a quality assurance program that should be created by the education professionals and not imposed upon them, with technology, this should not be that hard or that expensive.
A politician thinks of the next election; a statesman of the next generation. A politician looks for the success of his party; a statesman for that of the country. The statesman wished to steer, while the politician was satisfied to drift.
User avatar
SpinnerMan
hunter
 
Posts: 15930
Joined: Mon Dec 12, 2005 11:24 am
Location: Joliet, IL

Re: Hey Ohio- A test for today

Postby ohioboy » Fri Aug 09, 2013 9:45 am

SpinnerMan wrote:
Indaswamp wrote:Can a person learn how to weld without making mistakes? No.
But if mistakes were not bad, why would they ever stop making them. If not bad, why do people try not to make them? :huh:

Indaswamp wrote:It is a mindset and a mental negative perception people have attached to making mistakes because of formal schooling conditioning.
I believe I agree with the point that you are making, but mistakes are bad. If they were not bad, there would be no reason to try and avoid making them, would there?

ohioboy wrote:It seems that people have a problem with the educational system as a whole, but when they list what they want I generally do them in my class.
And this is precisely the problem. There are many huge problem with the education system as a whole. However, it is not wholly problematic. You take it personal and many critics make it person.

My criticism of you is very specific. As a professional, assuming you view yourself that way and not simply as a worker, you have an ethical responsibility as a professional that extends beyond just doing your job adequately. If I believed that there was a problem with the safety standards, I as a professional have an ethical responsibility to do more than say that I'm doing my job well and wash your hands of it. I don't see the teaching profession speaking out about the horrible education outcomes that are all too common. I hear whining about the parents, about wanting more money, the administration, required testing, and all the excuses about why other people are doing the wrong thing and very little roll up your sleeves and make the best with what you have and with average spending somewhere on the order of $150,000 and often a quarter of a million dollars or more per classroom and a powerful union, it's not like the resources available are a pittance.

We should have a serious quality assurance program for every child. Every child has great value, so we want to ensure that to the extent possible that every single child gets a quality education. To certify that a child has received that when they have not is professional fraud. It should be criminal if it is too egregious, but its clearly unethical and unprofessional. If you get defrauded by a business, you will be furious. So why shouldn't students, parents, and society be furious if a child gets a diploma fraudulently or is even promoted one grade based on a fraudulent certification that they have done so. It would be like taking your kid to get swimming lessons and they go for years and get their life guard certification and have yet to master the basic beginner skills.

Every single diploma, every single grade promotion, every step should be subject to a quality assurance program that should be created by the education professionals and not imposed upon them, with technology, this should not be that hard or that expensive.

Well put. I agree I need to do more. A reason we as a profession dont is job security and simply a lack of time. Not making an excuse, just telling you the answer I get when I try to rally support.

I am actually starting a graduate program in educational leadership as I type this. Maybe you guys will see me on tv some day. If I ever am, I swear I am going to use the word coonass. :lol3:
User avatar
ohioboy
hunter
 
Posts: 2338
Joined: Mon Apr 06, 2009 9:28 pm
Location: MoCo, MD

Re: Hey Ohio- A test for today

Postby go get the bird » Fri Aug 09, 2013 10:25 am

ohioboy wrote:
SpinnerMan wrote:
Indaswamp wrote:Can a person learn how to weld without making mistakes? No.
But if mistakes were not bad, why would they ever stop making them. If not bad, why do people try not to make them? :huh:

Indaswamp wrote:It is a mindset and a mental negative perception people have attached to making mistakes because of formal schooling conditioning.
I believe I agree with the point that you are making, but mistakes are bad. If they were not bad, there would be no reason to try and avoid making them, would there?

ohioboy wrote:It seems that people have a problem with the educational system as a whole, but when they list what they want I generally do them in my class.
And this is precisely the problem. There are many huge problem with the education system as a whole. However, it is not wholly problematic. You take it personal and many critics make it person.

My criticism of you is very specific. As a professional, assuming you view yourself that way and not simply as a worker, you have an ethical responsibility as a professional that extends beyond just doing your job adequately. If I believed that there was a problem with the safety standards, I as a professional have an ethical responsibility to do more than say that I'm doing my job well and wash your hands of it. I don't see the teaching profession speaking out about the horrible education outcomes that are all too common. I hear whining about the parents, about wanting more money, the administration, required testing, and all the excuses about why other people are doing the wrong thing and very little roll up your sleeves and make the best with what you have and with average spending somewhere on the order of $150,000 and often a quarter of a million dollars or more per classroom and a powerful union, it's not like the resources available are a pittance.

We should have a serious quality assurance program for every child. Every child has great value, so we want to ensure that to the extent possible that every single child gets a quality education. To certify that a child has received that when they have not is professional fraud. It should be criminal if it is too egregious, but its clearly unethical and unprofessional. If you get defrauded by a business, you will be furious. So why shouldn't students, parents, and society be furious if a child gets a diploma fraudulently or is even promoted one grade based on a fraudulent certification that they have done so. It would be like taking your kid to get swimming lessons and they go for years and get their life guard certification and have yet to master the basic beginner skills.

Every single diploma, every single grade promotion, every step should be subject to a quality assurance program that should be created by the education professionals and not imposed upon them, with technology, this should not be that hard or that expensive.

Well put. I agree I need to do more. A reason we as a profession dont is job security and simply a lack of time. Not making an excuse, just telling you the answer I get when I try to rally support.

I am actually starting a graduate program in educational leadership as I type this. Maybe you guys will see me on tv some day. If I ever am, I swear I am going to use the word coonass. :lol3:


What do you mean "job security"? You mean to tell me that if you actually DID your job, you'd lose it, and that's why many graduating students aren't fit to cook french fries?

Not making excuses- my arse.
MackieKnife wrote:The moral of the story is...I'm retarded.
User avatar
go get the bird
hunter
 
Posts: 3221
Joined: Tue Oct 18, 2011 1:12 pm

Re: Hey Ohio- A test for today

Postby SpinnerMan » Fri Aug 09, 2013 10:30 am

ohioboy wrote:A reason we as a profession dont is job security and simply a lack of time. Not making an excuse, just telling you the answer I get when I try to rally support.
Job security - that's what the union is for. Lack of time - :no: laziness :yes: As a professional, you have to make the time. It's the difference between being a worker and a professional.

BTW, I have the same challenge as a person that lives on the government dime. Now I see wasting money as a less severe failure, but still a failure, than giving a kid a high school diploma that has at best 8th grade skills, or something that threatens human safety. It's tough when the orders come down from the top elected officials and they are doing essentially what they promised if you look at what they said critically and not with rose-colored glasses and then gets reelected.
A politician thinks of the next election; a statesman of the next generation. A politician looks for the success of his party; a statesman for that of the country. The statesman wished to steer, while the politician was satisfied to drift.
User avatar
SpinnerMan
hunter
 
Posts: 15930
Joined: Mon Dec 12, 2005 11:24 am
Location: Joliet, IL

Re: Hey Ohio- A test for today

Postby assateague » Fri Aug 09, 2013 10:40 am

ohioboy wrote:
assateague wrote:
ohioboy wrote:Assa, please ask someone else to look at this. you realize your "test" you are trying so hard to validate has numerous misspellings and other random grammatical errors? i see them.. and as you have pointed out, i am not that smart. you really want to trust this as your cross to nail teachers to? :huh:


Strike 48.

Point out the "numerous misspellings and grammatical errors". They aren't there. As a teacher I'm sure you're aware that standard usage changes, so feel free to point them out. I'll wait for these, too.

You're so busy trying to be clever, that your arrogance is blinding you to what you don't know. It's actually quite pitiful, from a teacher. You're behaving like a 13 year girl who was just told she's overweight.

So that would make you the bully who keeps telling her she is fat?



If she really is fat, then it's hardly bullying. It's simply someone pointing out the truth.
WOLVERINES

Give a man a fish and he eats for a day. Let a man vote to give himself a fish and he eats until society collapses.
User avatar
assateague
Emu hunter extraordinaire
 
Posts: 21277
Joined: Tue Oct 06, 2009 12:25 pm
Location: Eastern Shore, People's Republic of Maryland

Re: Hey Ohio- A test for today

Postby assateague » Fri Aug 09, 2013 10:48 am

ohioboy wrote:
assateague wrote:
ohioboy wrote:Assa, please ask someone else to look at this. you realize your "test" you are trying so hard to validate has numerous misspellings and other random grammatical errors? i see them.. and as you have pointed out, i am not that smart. you really want to trust this as your cross to nail teachers to? :huh:


Strike 48.

Point out the "numerous misspellings and grammatical errors". They aren't there. As a teacher I'm sure you're aware that standard usage changes, so feel free to point them out. I'll wait for these, too.

You're so busy trying to be clever, that your arrogance is blinding you to what you don't know. It's actually quite pitiful, from a teacher. You're behaving like a 13 year girl who was just told she's overweight.

Arrogant. :lol3:

Who leads our country? The President? Or president. This kept jumping out at me since it was in my area of the test. Rawleigh?


If you'll notice, it says "in the election of a president...", not "the President". About 2 questions earlier, the title "President" was used, and capitalized as a proper noun. So far, you're down to "Rawleigh", which, technically is "Rawlegh", according to the Anthology of English Literature. But yet you still stated "numerous spelling and grammatical errors". So we have one. If "1" is the definition of "numerous" in your mind, perhaps you should be the one trying to build a time machine, so you may go back and get a decent education.

You're being very trite, and grasping at straws. Your ignorance of the subjects, and "secret" realization that you KNOW students are not as well-educated as in years past is causing you to really, really try to stretch ludicrous points in your favor. (such as the "statistics" which you were more than happy to try and browbeat me with until you realized that they do no such thing). Yet you still cling. Perhaps I should blame the teachers AND the system, since it appears from your responses that both parts feed off of the others' shortcomings.

You have said repeatedly that you are an excellent teacher. What the hell kind of "excellent" teacher discounts knowledge as "not important, because I wouldn't teach it"? Yes, that is arrogance. Combined with a good healthy dose of blissful ignorance.
WOLVERINES

Give a man a fish and he eats for a day. Let a man vote to give himself a fish and he eats until society collapses.
User avatar
assateague
Emu hunter extraordinaire
 
Posts: 21277
Joined: Tue Oct 06, 2009 12:25 pm
Location: Eastern Shore, People's Republic of Maryland

Re: Hey Ohio- A test for today

Postby ohioboy » Fri Aug 09, 2013 11:03 am

assateague wrote:
ohioboy wrote:
assateague wrote:
ohioboy wrote:Assa, please ask someone else to look at this. you realize your "test" you are trying so hard to validate has numerous misspellings and other random grammatical errors? i see them.. and as you have pointed out, i am not that smart. you really want to trust this as your cross to nail teachers to? :huh:


Strike 48.

Point out the "numerous misspellings and grammatical errors". They aren't there. As a teacher I'm sure you're aware that standard usage changes, so feel free to point them out. I'll wait for these, too.

You're so busy trying to be clever, that your arrogance is blinding you to what you don't know. It's actually quite pitiful, from a teacher. You're behaving like a 13 year girl who was just told she's overweight.

Arrogant. :lol3:

Who leads our country? The President? Or president. This kept jumping out at me since it was in my area of the test. Rawleigh?


If you'll notice, it says "in the election of a president...", not "the President". About 2 questions earlier, the title "President" was used, and capitalized as a proper noun. So far, you're down to "Rawleigh", which, technically is "Rawlegh", according to the Anthology of English Literature. But yet you still stated "numerous spelling and grammatical errors". So we have one. If "1" is the definition of "numerous" in your mind, perhaps you should be the one trying to build a time machine, so you may go back and get a decent education.

You're being very trite, and grasping at straws. Your ignorance of the subjects, and "secret" realization that you KNOW students are not as well-educated as in years past is causing you to really, really try to stretch ludicrous points in your favor. (such as the "statistics" which you were more than happy to try and browbeat me with until you realized that they do no such thing). Yet you still cling. Perhaps I should blame the teachers AND the system, since it appears from your responses that both parts feed off of the others' shortcomings.

You have said repeatedly that you are an excellent teacher. What the hell kind of "excellent" teacher discounts knowledge as "not important, because I wouldn't teach it"? Yes, that is arrogance. Combined with a good healthy dose of blissful ignorance.


You expect me to to everything? Leave nothing out? How do you suggest I do that?
User avatar
ohioboy
hunter
 
Posts: 2338
Joined: Mon Apr 06, 2009 9:28 pm
Location: MoCo, MD

Re: Hey Ohio- A test for today

Postby ohioboy » Fri Aug 09, 2013 11:10 am

assateague wrote:
ohioboy wrote:
assateague wrote:
ohioboy wrote:Assa, please ask someone else to look at this. you realize your "test" you are trying so hard to validate has numerous misspellings and other random grammatical errors? i see them.. and as you have pointed out, i am not that smart. you really want to trust this as your cross to nail teachers to? :huh:


Strike 48.

Point out the "numerous misspellings and grammatical errors". They aren't there. As a teacher I'm sure you're aware that standard usage changes, so feel free to point them out. I'll wait for these, too.

You're so busy trying to be clever, that your arrogance is blinding you to what you don't know. It's actually quite pitiful, from a teacher. You're behaving like a 13 year girl who was just told she's overweight.

Arrogant. :lol3:

Who leads our country? The President? Or president. This kept jumping out at me since it was in my area of the test. Rawleigh?


If you'll notice, it says "in the election of a president...", not "the President". About 2 questions earlier, the title "President" was used, and capitalized as a proper noun. So far, you're down to "Rawleigh", which, technically is "Rawlegh", according to the Anthology of English Literature. But yet you still stated "numerous spelling and grammatical errors". So we have one. If "1" is the definition of "numerous" in your mind, perhaps you should be the one trying to build a time machine, so you may go back and get a decent education.

You're being very trite, and grasping at straws. Your ignorance of the subjects, and "secret" realization that you KNOW students are not as well-educated as in years past is causing you to really, really try to stretch ludicrous points in your favor. (such as the "statistics" which you were more than happy to try and browbeat me with until you realized that they do no such thing). Yet you still cling. Perhaps I should blame the teachers AND the system, since it appears from your responses that both parts feed off of the others' shortcomings.

You have said repeatedly that you are an excellent teacher. What the hell kind of "excellent" teacher discounts knowledge as "not important, because I wouldn't teach it"? Yes, that is arrogance. Combined with a good healthy dose of blissful ignorance.

Oh, and "I'll wait" for you to show me statistics that show kids took that test.

Sorry, Assa. You and a few others just can't ever possibly say you are wrong. It's sad.

And I think you just called me a bad teacher. That hurts buddy. :lol3: stick to the material. Btw, I don't think I ever called myself an excellent teacher. Maybe I did. Good, yes. Excellence is a goal.

Back to the original post. Assa, do you think that test accurately judges an 8th grade student?
User avatar
ohioboy
hunter
 
Posts: 2338
Joined: Mon Apr 06, 2009 9:28 pm
Location: MoCo, MD

Re: Hey Ohio- A test for today

Postby assateague » Fri Aug 09, 2013 11:19 am

I do in 1912. Now? It doesn't even accurately measure a holder of a bachelor's degree. Thanks to the dumbing down of everything.

I often admit that I'm wrong. When I am. But not when confronted with a half-assed appeal to emotion, devoid of fact, from someone who should know better.

And you have repeatedly stated that you are an excellent teacher. Odd that you wouldn't remember saying that.

Listen, I'll lay it out here for you. You have been able to refute nothing. You have presented arguments which aren't arguments, statistics which are no more useful than names from a phone book, and dismissed knowledge because "you wouldn't teach it". At what point along the way would you have me admit I was wrong? If you can show me where I'm wrong, I'll certainly do so.
WOLVERINES

Give a man a fish and he eats for a day. Let a man vote to give himself a fish and he eats until society collapses.
User avatar
assateague
Emu hunter extraordinaire
 
Posts: 21277
Joined: Tue Oct 06, 2009 12:25 pm
Location: Eastern Shore, People's Republic of Maryland

Re: Hey Ohio- A test for today

Postby ohioboy » Fri Aug 09, 2013 11:27 am

assateague wrote:I do in 1912. Now? It doesn't even accurately measure a holder of a bachelor's degree. Thanks to the dumbing down of everything.

I often admit that I'm wrong. When I am. But not when confronted with a half-assed appeal to emotion, devoid of fact, from someone who should know better.

And you have repeatedly stated that you are an excellent teacher. Odd that you wouldn't remember saying that.

Listen, I'll lay it out here for you. You have been able to refute nothing. You have presented arguments which aren't arguments, statistics which are no more useful than names from a phone book, and dismissed knowledge because "you wouldn't teach it". At what point along the way would you have me admit I was wrong? If you can show me where I'm wrong, I'll certainly do so.

Well, guess I leave it there then. "Some people you just can't reach."

Busy day. Adios.
User avatar
ohioboy
hunter
 
Posts: 2338
Joined: Mon Apr 06, 2009 9:28 pm
Location: MoCo, MD

Re: Hey Ohio- A test for today

Postby assateague » Fri Aug 09, 2013 11:41 am

ohioboy wrote:Well, guess I leave it there then. "Some people you just can't reach."


Especially when you can't get your hands out of your pockets, figuratively speaking. I'll take your resignation as an admission that you cannot possibly show me where I was wrong. Pleasure doing business with you.
WOLVERINES

Give a man a fish and he eats for a day. Let a man vote to give himself a fish and he eats until society collapses.
User avatar
assateague
Emu hunter extraordinaire
 
Posts: 21277
Joined: Tue Oct 06, 2009 12:25 pm
Location: Eastern Shore, People's Republic of Maryland

Re: Hey Ohio- A test for today

Postby ohioboy » Fri Aug 09, 2013 11:42 am

http://bullittcountyhistory.org/bullitt ... m1912.html

Darn it. Could not resist. Read what they have to say. I did email them too, asking if they have passage numbers.
User avatar
ohioboy
hunter
 
Posts: 2338
Joined: Mon Apr 06, 2009 9:28 pm
Location: MoCo, MD

Re: Hey Ohio- A test for today

Postby ohioboy » Fri Aug 09, 2013 11:43 am

assateague wrote:
ohioboy wrote:Well, guess I leave it there then. "Some people you just can't reach."


Especially when you can't get your hands out of your pockets, figuratively speaking. I'll take your resignation as an admission that you cannot possibly show me where I was wrong. Pleasure doing business with you.

Whatever makes you happy.
User avatar
ohioboy
hunter
 
Posts: 2338
Joined: Mon Apr 06, 2009 9:28 pm
Location: MoCo, MD

Re: Hey Ohio- A test for today

Postby assateague » Fri Aug 09, 2013 1:04 pm

Doesn't make me happy. Makes me tremendously sad that children's educations are in the hands of someone who simply discredits knowledge that they "wouldn't teach", and who cannot logically state nor defend a position.
WOLVERINES

Give a man a fish and he eats for a day. Let a man vote to give himself a fish and he eats until society collapses.
User avatar
assateague
Emu hunter extraordinaire
 
Posts: 21277
Joined: Tue Oct 06, 2009 12:25 pm
Location: Eastern Shore, People's Republic of Maryland

Re: Hey Ohio- A test for today

Postby ohioboy » Fri Aug 09, 2013 2:19 pm

assateague wrote:Doesn't make me happy. Makes me tremendously sad that children's educations are in the hands of someone who simply discredits knowledge that they "wouldn't teach", and who cannot logically state nor defend a position.

I teach social studies. You tell me which are relevant to teach in 2013.
User avatar
ohioboy
hunter
 
Posts: 2338
Joined: Mon Apr 06, 2009 9:28 pm
Location: MoCo, MD

Re: Hey Ohio- A test for today

Postby Indaswamp » Fri Aug 09, 2013 2:24 pm

ohioboy wrote:
assateague wrote:Doesn't make me happy. Makes me tremendously sad that children's educations are in the hands of someone who simply discredits knowledge that they "wouldn't teach", and who cannot logically state nor defend a position.

I teach social studies. You tell me which are relevant to teach in 2013.

you can start with the truth of the war of 1812.... :wink: :hi:
The Cajun 7 Course Meal; 1 lb. of boudin and a six pack of Abita beer.

Save the Marsh, Eat a Nutria!

Image
User avatar
Indaswamp
Forum Moderator
 
Posts: 56496
Joined: Thu Aug 07, 2008 8:40 pm
Location: South Louisiana

Re: Hey Ohio- A test for today

Postby vincentpa » Fri Aug 09, 2013 2:41 pm

Riding through the university of Pittsburgh. There are some hot nurses getting on the bus from the hospitals. Dammit! Should've been a doctor! These nurse sure beat the donkeys I. The engineering profession.

I'm happy OB recognizes critical thinking is important. It is. However children develop critical thinking skills comparatively late. They just aren't cognitively developed enough to focus on this alone. Anyway, critical thinking shouldn't be the main focus anyway. Without a base of knowledge, critical thinking skills won't get you far. It smacks of the latest teaching fad. Don't stress facts a figures; it's the critical thinking that really counts. How can you critically think if you haven't memorized the times tables. Can't advance to science without that skill. How does critical thinking help you if your vocabulary limits you to reading "See Jack Run"? Can critically think about a topic if your reading comprehension is limited by your minis ule knowledge of English. Impossible to learn a language without memorization. Biology anyone? OB and his fellow lackeys are always amusing.

Riding by CMU now. Those sons of beaches can think critically! Not too much to look at though.


Sent from my iPhone 5, which sucks my cojones. Don't buy one.
In a free society, it is not the obligation of the citizen to prove to the government that he is a good person. It is the obligation of the government to prove to the rest of the citizenry that the citizen is a bad person, with probable cause.
User avatar
vincentpa
hunter
 
Posts: 7715
Joined: Wed Nov 10, 2010 6:50 am
Location: Pittsburgh, PA

Re: Hey Ohio- A test for today

Postby ohioboy » Sat Aug 10, 2013 10:39 am

vincentpa wrote:Riding through the university of Pittsburgh. There are some hot nurses getting on the bus from the hospitals. Dammit! Should've been a doctor! These nurse sure beat the donkeys I. The engineering profession.

I'm happy OB recognizes critical thinking is important. It is. However children develop critical thinking skills comparatively late. They just aren't cognitively developed enough to focus on this alone. Anyway, critical thinking shouldn't be the main focus anyway. Without a base of knowledge, critical thinking skills won't get you far. It smacks of the latest teaching fad. Don't stress facts a figures; it's the critical thinking that really counts. How can you critically think if you haven't memorized the times tables. Can't advance to science without that skill. How does critical thinking help you if your vocabulary limits you to reading "See Jack Run"? Can critically think about a topic if your reading comprehension is limited by your minis ule knowledge of English. Impossible to learn a language without memorization. Biology anyone? OB and his fellow lackeys are always amusing.

Riding by CMU now. Those sons of beaches can think critically! Not too much to look at though.


Sent from my iPhone 5, which sucks my cojones. Don't buy one.


It is a mix, not just critical thinking. Again, a person that is uninformed stating what they think to be fact. Until you go into a school, Observe and ask questions, don't jump to a conclusion.

Back a couple of threads I said I am happy to answer questions. That still stands.

Inda, 1812 is taught. As to specifics, I am sure you guys cover it more thoroughly.
User avatar
ohioboy
hunter
 
Posts: 2338
Joined: Mon Apr 06, 2009 9:28 pm
Location: MoCo, MD

Re: Hey Ohio- A test for today

Postby Indaswamp » Sat Aug 10, 2013 10:45 am

ohioboy wrote:

Inda, 1812 is taught. As to specifics, I am sure you guys cover it more thoroughly.

Yes, I know it is taught, but you told me yourself that the truth about the war is NOT taught.
The Cajun 7 Course Meal; 1 lb. of boudin and a six pack of Abita beer.

Save the Marsh, Eat a Nutria!

Image
User avatar
Indaswamp
Forum Moderator
 
Posts: 56496
Joined: Thu Aug 07, 2008 8:40 pm
Location: South Louisiana

Re: Hey Ohio- A test for today

Postby swampbilly 1980 » Sat Aug 10, 2013 10:57 am

ohioboy wrote:It is a mix, not just critical thinking. Again, a person that is uninformed stating what they think to be fact. Until you go into a school, Observe and ask questions, don't jump to a conclusion.

What's your definition of uninformed?

What's wrong with anecdotal information ? Do you believe that opinions formed from it can genuinely include some very factual information? :hi:
Swampbilly1980- I got a feeva',..and the only cure is more Mergansers and face paint.
User avatar
swampbilly 1980
Forum & State Moderator
 
Posts: 9073
Joined: Fri Jan 09, 2009 5:53 am
Location: Gloucester,Va.

Re: Hey Ohio- A test for today

Postby ohioboy » Wed Aug 14, 2013 10:34 am

swampbilly 1980 wrote:
ohioboy wrote:It is a mix, not just critical thinking. Again, a person that is uninformed stating what they think to be fact. Until you go into a school, Observe and ask questions, don't jump to a conclusion.

What's your definition of uninformed?

What's wrong with anecdotal information ? Do you believe that opinions formed from it can genuinely include some very factual information? :hi:



sorry, was off the grid for a few days.

yes, of course it is possible. the problem with 99% of the complaints i hear, is they start out "when i was in school...." or "i had a teacher who....". that at best could be a "was factual", more than likely is not. it is very different on the other side of the desk. now i see that some of my teachers who i thought were idiots actually were pretty darn good. you, as a student, dont see many interactions with a student or parents or other professionals and some of the work that goes into what we do. no different than any other job. but since we were in school once, we are all "experts".

i am in the field, i have seen changes in my short tenure, and expect more every year. not all are good. often the change is to correct something that was not done as well as it could have been before. it is an ever evolving path to say the least.

i also contacted the historical society in Bullitt County and this is the response i got:

I am told that it was administered by Ora Roby (one of the names at the bottom of the test). If I am understanding the newspapers from the time, the test was administered at the county courthouse. Students would gather there from the many one-room schoolhouses around the county. I have not found any data about how many took it, or how many passed. It was a big deal, though, with local papers urging even 7th graders that it was not too soon to prepare.
David Strange
Bullitt County History Museum
User avatar
ohioboy
hunter
 
Posts: 2338
Joined: Mon Apr 06, 2009 9:28 pm
Location: MoCo, MD

PreviousNext

Return to Controversial Issues Forum

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 7 guests