Hey Ohio- A test for today

A forum not related to waterfowl for discussing the more controversial and hot topic issues in our world from immigration, politics, the war, etc..

Moderators: Smackaduck, MM

Re: Hey Ohio- A test for today

Postby swampbilly 1980 » Wed Aug 14, 2013 10:50 am

ohioboy wrote:
swampbilly 1980 wrote:
ohioboy wrote:It is a mix, not just critical thinking. Again, a person that is uninformed stating what they think to be fact. Until you go into a school, Observe and ask questions, don't jump to a conclusion.

What's your definition of uninformed?

What's wrong with anecdotal information ? Do you believe that opinions formed from it can genuinely include some very factual information? :hi:

yes, of course it is possible. the problem with 99% of the complaints i hear, is they start out "when i was in school...." or "i had a teacher who....". that at best could be a "was factual", more than likely is not. it is very different on the other side of the desk. now i see that some of my teachers who i thought were idiots actually were pretty darn good. you, as a student, dont see many interactions with a student or parents or other professionals and some of the work that goes into what we do. no different than any other job. but since we were in school once, we are all "experts".

i am in the field, i have seen changes in my short tenure, and expect more every year. not all are good. often the change is to correct something that was not done as well as it could have been before. it is an ever evolving path to say the least.

i also contacted the historical society in Bullitt County and this is the response i got:

I am told that it was administered by Ora Roby (one of the names at the bottom of the test). If I am understanding the newspapers from the time, the test was administered at the county courthouse. Students would gather there from the many one-room schoolhouses around the county. I have not found any data about how many took it, or how many passed. It was a big deal, though, with local papers urging even 7th graders that it was not too soon to prepare.
David Strange
Bullitt County History Museum

That's some great historical stuff!

Visited my old elementary school from 1965-1969 recently.
In the principles' office on the wall enclosed in glass was what looked to me like the paddle I'd seen once or twice in the Janitors' closet. Had holes drilled in it for better areodynamics :yes:

On the wooden glass case there was a caption:
"In case of Emergency Break Glass" :lol3:
Swampbilly1980- I got a feeva',..and the only cure is more Mergansers and face paint.
swampbilly 1980
Forum & State Moderator

Postby Montanafowler » Sat Aug 17, 2013 9:58 pm

my impression of the teaching system is that a teacher is now a babysitter with a bachelor's degree and a teaching certification. most of what i saw in high school was teachers telling the little $#!tbags that interrupted to sit down and be quiet. we hardly got anything done, due to the fact that nobody in my English class could read Shakespeare. I slept through English because i couldn't stand hearing seventeen year olds read like a 5 year old sounding out the word "cat". I aced it with a 115 percentage.

OB, if i were you, i would have based my argument on having to constantly discipline students who need a good ass beating.

my girlfriend's previous room mate just got her English cert, may the Lord have mercy. She talks like a Valley girl and can't even read, and believes that every country in the world celebrates our holidays. i ask you this, how the hell did she get certified?
Booney3721 wrote:Try being a dishwasher/Grill cook/ellectrition/garbage disposer and your owner/boss is a fat greek woman who cals you names as Retard, stupid, idiot, molocah, f*** face and tard, and tells you that you was the inspiration for abortion and birth control.
Montanafowler
Forum Moderator

Postby Indaswamp » Sun Aug 18, 2013 1:07 am

I spent saturday morning helping my cousin (who is a teacher) move from her 1st. grade classroom to a 2nd grade classroom. there is an overflow of 2nd graders and they need her to teach2nd grade.
2nd grade has changed from when I was in school-that's for sure!
The Cajun 7 Course Meal; 1 lb. of boudin and a six pack of Abita beer.

Save the Marsh, Eat a Nutria!

Indaswamp
Forum Moderator

Postby ohioboy » Sun Aug 18, 2013 8:19 am

Montanafowler wrote:my impression of the teaching system is that a teacher is now a babysitter with a bachelor's degree and a teaching certification. most of what i saw in high school was teachers telling the little $#!tbags that interrupted to sit down and be quiet. we hardly got anything done, due to the fact that nobody in my English class could read Shakespeare. I slept through English because i couldn't stand hearing seventeen year olds read like a 5 year old sounding out the word "cat". I aced it with a 115 percentage.

OB, if i were you, i would have based my argument on having to constantly discipline students who need a good ass beating.

my girlfriend's previous room mate just got her English cert, may the Lord have mercy. She talks like a Valley girl and can't even read, and believes that every country in the world celebrates our holidays. i ask you this, how the hell did she get certified?

We have discussed that before, in regards to a lack of parent involvement.
ohioboy
hunter

Postby ohioboy » Sun Aug 18, 2013 8:21 am

Indaswamp wrote:I spent saturday morning helping my cousin (who is a teacher) move from her 1st. grade classroom to a 2nd grade classroom. there is an overflow of 2nd graders and they need her to teach2nd grade.

I am sure she appreciated it. Uncle swamp has a ring to it.

My mom teaches 2nd grade. I never could.
ohioboy
hunter

Postby vincentpa » Sun Aug 18, 2013 2:51 pm

Indaswamp wrote:I spent saturday morning helping my cousin (who is a teacher) move from her 1st. grade classroom to a 2nd grade classroom. there is an overflow of 2nd graders and they need her to teach2nd grade.

The girls were wearing thigh highs and heels?
In a free society, it is not the obligation of the citizen to prove to the government that he is a good person. It is the obligation of the government to prove to the rest of the citizenry that the citizen is a bad person, with probable cause.
vincentpa
hunter

Previous

Return to Controversial Issues Forum