Section 8 Housing

A forum not related to waterfowl for discussing the more controversial and hot topic issues in our world from immigration, politics, the war, etc..

Moderators: Smackaduck, MM

Section 8 Housing

Postby D Comeaux » Fri Aug 09, 2013 1:13 pm

Here is an example of a government "handout". I can assure you that this is not the only reported house trashing. The mind set must change to better yourself and "Giveaways" are not the answer. I'm not sure how y'all feel, but I'm tired of supporting generational freeloaders who can't seem to get their act together!!!!!!!!

Here is a link to comments.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Puc1CLwWNms
D Comeaux
hunter

Re: Section 8 Housing

Postby aunt betty » Fri Aug 09, 2013 1:31 pm

D Comeaux wrote:Here is an example of a government "handout". I can assure you that this is not the only reported house trashing. The mind set must change to better yourself and "Giveaways" are not the answer. I'm not sure how y'all feel, but I'm tired of supporting generational freeloaders who can't seem to get their act together!!!!!!!!

Here is a link to comments.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Puc1CLwWNms
This story has TWO idiots. The girl he rented to and HIM.
He took the easy way out and turned his home over to the gubment hoping they'd find him a nice fat tenant and live happily ever after. The video is pathetic. I do feel a bit sorry for him. (not really)

I wonder if the guy went to some other section 8 housing homes or apartments to see just what he was getting into. It's pretty obvious he did not.

Have repaired rental units for landlords and let me tell you...they are not my favorite customers because they want it cheap and want to cut corners. The landlord in the video is **** **** ****ed. :yes:
INTERNET CREDIBILITY is...an OXYMORON. :moon:
aunt betty
memberhip was not approved

Postby SpinnerMan » Fri Aug 09, 2013 2:05 pm

aunt betty wrote:He took the easy way out and turned his home over to the gubment hoping they'd find him a nice fat tenant and live happily ever after.
Can you refuse to accept a section 8 tenant? I've never been a landlord and there is no way I would. This happens way too often and it only takes one to ruin you. I rented a place in Chicago from a friends parents. They NEVER advertised for their tenants and only took personal recommendations. They would rather have the place sit empty. The reason they gave was if they advertised and turned someone down they ran the risk of being sued for discrimination if the person was not white. I don't know, but I'm just not certain that he could have refused. It wasn't like she couldn't afford the rent.

My brother's baby-mother is a nightmare tenant. She gives this sob story about being the mother of three kids (neglecting that it is three different fathers, two of which have custody of the kids and the third is a pedophile that I think is back in jail). The let her in, wave the deposit, one woman even bought her brand new mattresses for the kids. Then she does not pay one penny of rent and just squats there until she gets kicked out leaving behind piles of garbage, a huge mess, and tons of left over food that she has gone around and begged from all the places where people feel good about themselves for giving food to liars like her.

She actually got kicked out of a homeless shelter for single mothers because she refused to do the work that they were expected to do in exchange for the free room and board. :lol3: :no:

You do not fix this stuff by more welfare. It is the result of the welfare mentality. To steal from one of Indaswamp's post.

A politician thinks of the next election; a statesman of the next generation. A politician looks for the success of his party; a statesman for that of the country. The statesman wished to steer, while the politician was satisfied to drift.
SpinnerMan
hunter

Postby ctdeathfrombelow » Fri Aug 09, 2013 3:14 pm

At our apartment building we have 28 units. A few of which are section 8. I will start off saying that not all on sec 8 are lazy scum. One of them is an old single woman on a fixed income. She's a good tenant. However we have gone through a lot of trash before she came along. We found out that the easiest way to evict someone is to make them voluntarily leave. We go to the apartment and offer $2 grand cash for them to leave on a week. Many are gone in 2 days. They don't get their money until the apartment is clean, no trash, and doesn't smell like their $h1tty food. It's cheaper than going to the state as I would have to pay a lawyer and a state marshal, it would also take at the quickest 2 months. One of the people that was in sec 8 at the building had an Escalade, he left "voluntarily" under the threat of being investigated, and was reported anyways.
ctdeathfrombelow
hunter

Postby SpinnerMan » Fri Aug 09, 2013 3:23 pm

ctdeathfrombelow wrote:One of them is an old single woman on a fixed income.
I wish someone would fix my income so I could quit and spend more time hunting and fishing.

I hate that euphemism of "fixed income" because that is what you work toward so you can safely retire. I'm guessing you didn't mean she had $100k/yr pension and more likely meant that she didn't save anything for her retirement and hoped someone else would take care of her. Although, it could mean other things.

Since you have a lot of experience, could you simply refuse to take section 8 tenants as a standing policy?
A politician thinks of the next election; a statesman of the next generation. A politician looks for the success of his party; a statesman for that of the country. The statesman wished to steer, while the politician was satisfied to drift.
SpinnerMan
hunter

Postby assateague » Fri Aug 09, 2013 3:24 pm

Spinner, I think after you agree to participate in Section 8, the property remains so in perpetuity. But if you never ask to participate, you don't have to accept it. Sort of like doctors who don't accept Medicare/Medicaid.
WOLVERINES

Give a man a fish and he eats for a day. Let a man vote to give himself a fish and he eats until society collapses.
assateague
Emu hunter extraordinaire

Postby SpinnerMan » Fri Aug 09, 2013 3:36 pm

I have no clue how it works. I do know if you advertise you have to be very careful about how you reject tenants to avoid the potential legal jeopardy of being accused of discrimination. I'm curious if you can in fact just say no Section 8 period or do you run the risk of legal problems.

Look at Oprah in Switzerland. Some shop keeper thought she couldn't afford an expensive purse and she assumed it was racism, but from everything I read, there is no proof that if Mark Zuckerberg had walked in dressed causally that the shopkeeper would not have treated him the same.
SpinnerMan
hunter

Postby ctdeathfrombelow » Fri Aug 09, 2013 3:53 pm

Section 8 is voluntary you don't have to accept it if you don't want to. In fact you must sign up to be eligible to accept sec 8. They are not allowed to rent outside of designated lodgings. Meaning I as a land lord have to list my property with the local housing authority. It is then inspected by an inspector from housing authority, if repairs are needed they give you a list if not you're cleared to rent. From there it goes in to a HUDdatabase where those who qualify for sec 8 may see the property.

Fixed income means many things. For this particular instance it means only collecting social security. It has nothing to do with being lazy.
ctdeathfrombelow
hunter

Postby aunt betty » Fri Aug 09, 2013 8:08 pm

As I said, nobody forced this landlord to participate in such a dumb program. I would NEVER do this.

If I were to rent out this house I'm in, and I will eventually. I will only advertise at my wife's work place. The place she works at makes sure their employees take care of business or the company does, then chases down the bum with their manpower and legal staff. Kinda like the military does.

The landlord in the video...was a fool to ever sign his name to the section 8 application.
INTERNET CREDIBILITY is...an OXYMORON. :moon:
aunt betty
memberhip was not approved

Postby SpinnerMan » Fri Aug 09, 2013 8:47 pm

ctdeathfrombelow wrote:Section 8 is voluntary you don't have to accept it if you don't want to. In fact you must sign up to be eligible to accept sec 8. They are not allowed to rent outside of designated lodgings. Meaning I as a land lord have to list my property with the local housing authority. It is then inspected by an inspector from housing authority, if repairs are needed they give you a list if not you're cleared to rent. From there it goes in to a HUDdatabase where those who qualify for sec 8 may see the property.
Thanks.

ctdeathfrombelow wrote:Fixed income means many things. For this particular instance it means only collecting social security. It has nothing to do with being lazy.
No, but it probably has to do with bad choices. If the only thing you are living off of is social security, that was a very bad course of action over the last 40+ years of adulthood. Was it lazy, was it stupid, granted it may have been very bad luck, but over the course of 40+ years as an adult, that's pretty small odds.
SpinnerMan
hunter

Postby ctdeathfrombelow » Fri Aug 09, 2013 9:57 pm

SpinnerMan wrote:
ctdeathfrombelow wrote:Section 8 is voluntary you don't have to accept it if you don't want to. In fact you must sign up to be eligible to accept sec 8. They are not allowed to rent outside of designated lodgings. Meaning I as a land lord have to list my property with the local housing authority. It is then inspected by an inspector from housing authority, if repairs are needed they give you a list if not you're cleared to rent. From there it goes in to a HUDdatabase where those who qualify for sec 8 may see the property.
Thanks.

ctdeathfrombelow wrote:Fixed income means many things. For this particular instance it means only collecting social security. It has nothing to do with being lazy.
No, but it probably has to do with bad choices. If the only thing you are living off of is social security, that was a very bad course of action over the last 40+ years of adulthood. Was it lazy, was it stupid, granted it may have been very bad luck, but over the course of 40+ years as an adult, that's pretty small odds.

Not necessarily.... Many women born in the earlier 20th century relied on their husbands income and investments. It was the social hierarchy back then that a woman's responsibilities were matronly and limited to the home, thus lacking a financial responsibility. Can't really blame her for her husbands mistakes. Don't forget not everyone got pensions, and 401ks were relatively new, and the matching investments at the time were CODAs. The 1980's were probably the last time someone could comfortably live on social security alone. My grandmother,for example, is on a "fixed" income. She worked at many factories, she bought a lot of land with the money she had earned and was planning on buying more. My grandfather who owned a construction business sold ALL of her land out from underneath her for pennies on the dollar. Had that not happened I'd probably be on a yacht somewhere in the Mediterranean rather than posting on a forum at 12 am. None the less she is on a "fixed" income, but it does not mean she's taking from society, she lives with my father in a nice house on the beach, by no fault of her own other than marrying my grandfather.... Same for men. One example would be disability. Man gets hurt on the job, and can't work, he's now on a "fixed" income. I can understand where the negative connotation comes from but it's not always warranted.
ctdeathfrombelow
hunter

Postby blackduckdog2 » Fri Aug 09, 2013 10:46 pm

My wife and I had dinner in the Section 8 home on our street last month, with a family we met at a local community transit meeting. Very interesting Irish/Somali (go figure) couple with 2 kids. The place was immaculate
"We have met the enemy, and he is us."
Walt Kelly, via Slow's avatar. Look it up
blackduckdog2
hunter

Postby SpinnerMan » Sat Aug 10, 2013 6:39 am

ctdeathfrombelow wrote:Not necessarily.... Many women born in the earlier 20th century relied on their husbands income and investments. It was the social hierarchy back then that a woman's responsibilities were matronly and limited to the home, thus lacking a financial responsibility. Can't really blame her for her husbands mistakes.
It was still clearly a bad decision to trust her husband. Look at the results :fingerhead:

We all make bad decisions. There may even be "good" excuses for those bad decisions, but they were still bad decisions if the results were a likely out come. Whether it was a wife hoping their husband would take care of them or hoping politicians would or whatever, it was a bad decision. Besides housewives are often the financial planners, even back then. Wives have a lot of influence if they choose to do so. Are you married?

ctdeathfrombelow wrote:Don't forget not everyone got pensions, and 401ks were relatively new, and the matching investments at the time were CODAs.
Those are not the only way to save for retirement. My relatives from that time frame had a pretty good chunk of money in CDs which had they invested them in a diversified portfolio of stocks, they would have probably had many times more money, but they still saved for the future. Many of the ones my age or younger are the ones that are not saving and not preparing for the future.

ctdeathfrombelow wrote:She worked at many factories, she bought a lot of land with the money she had earned and was planning on buying more. My grandfather who owned a construction business sold ALL of her land out from underneath her for pennies on the dollar.
Clearly your grandmother should not have trusted your grandfather, and I'll bet it didn't come out of the blue.

However, there are always true exceptions when you are talking about a nation of hundreds of millions of people. Most cases after 40 years as an adult, the primary cause of your financial state is not bad luck.
SpinnerMan
hunter

Postby vincentpa » Sat Aug 10, 2013 7:34 pm

blackduckdog2 wrote:My wife and I had dinner in the Section 8 home on our street last month, with a family we met at a local community transit meeting. Very interesting Irish/Somali (go figure) couple with 2 kids. The place was immaculate

Did you eat spam with pork and beans?
In a free society, it is not the obligation of the citizen to prove to the government that he is a good person. It is the obligation of the government to prove to the rest of the citizenry that the citizen is a bad person, with probable cause.
vincentpa
hunter

Postby vincentpa » Sat Aug 10, 2013 7:37 pm

SpinnerMan wrote:

Spinner, you're a smart guy but you really have a hard time relating to people who are less intelligent than you. Some people are just not bright enough to find a job that pays them enough that they will be able to save enough money to supplement social security Ina meaningful way. That's just the way it is. There is no political philosophy or any amount of cajoling or educating that will change that.
In a free society, it is not the obligation of the citizen to prove to the government that he is a good person. It is the obligation of the government to prove to the rest of the citizenry that the citizen is a bad person, with probable cause.
vincentpa
hunter

Postby blackduckdog2 » Sat Aug 10, 2013 8:22 pm

vincentpa wrote:
blackduckdog2 wrote:My wife and I had dinner in the Section 8 home on our street last month, with a family we met at a local community transit meeting. Very interesting Irish/Somali (go figure) couple with 2 kids. The place was immaculate

We did not
blackduckdog2
hunter

Postby blackduckdog2 » Sat Aug 10, 2013 9:02 pm

garyt wrote:
blackduckdog2 wrote:
vincentpa wrote:

We did not

Lovely mixed couple Im sure...

There are over 50,000 Somalis in Columbus Ohio. They are basically despised. Trash, Crime, Tax on the System, the usual.
Some have never used a toilet in their life either..Ive nothing against Somalians mind you, so long as they stay IN Somalia.

So..........let me see if I've got this straight. You despise this family with which I broke bread (that weird spongy stuff, which was perfect for sopping up the lamb stew), even though you have never met them, and have heard of them only the barest of anecdotal information (and that information was positive, not negative). Did I miss anything?
blackduckdog2
hunter

Postby blackduckdog2 » Sat Aug 10, 2013 9:09 pm

I know a nice Somalian/Irish family. That's all
blackduckdog2
hunter

Postby clampdaddy » Sat Aug 10, 2013 11:27 pm

blackduckdog2 wrote:I know a nice Somalian/Irish family. That's all

You sat and ate at the same table with one of "those people"?! Did no one tell you that the Irish are dirty, horrible people? Worthless layabout drunkards and street fighting criminal scum, the whole lot of them. Right Aiden?
clampdaddy
hunter

Postby blackduckdog2 » Sun Aug 11, 2013 12:59 am

clampdaddy wrote:
blackduckdog2 wrote:I know a nice Somalian/Irish family. That's all

You sat and ate at the same table with one of "those people"?! Did no one tell you that the Irish are dirty, horrible people? Worthless layabout drunkards and street fighting criminal scum, the whole lot of them. Right Aiden?

That's what my Dad always said about the Irish, cuz one of 'em chonked a rock at the back of his head in East Providence back in 1933. It's STILL ON!!
blackduckdog2
hunter

Postby slowshooter » Sun Aug 11, 2013 2:20 am

vincentpa wrote:
SpinnerMan wrote:

Spinner, you're a smart guy but you really have a hard time relating to people who are less intelligent than you. Some people are just not bright enough to find a job that pays them enough that they will be able to save enough money to supplement social security Ina meaningful way. That's just the way it is. There is no political philosophy or any amount of cajoling or educating that will change that.

I agree that he has a hard time relating. But it's not his smarts getting in the way, it's his inability let go of the just-world hypothesis that drives most of his analysis of others.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Just-world_hypothesis

I can point to the comment about rape that he made last week as proof. As well of any number of posts that blame people for the bad things that have happened to them.
All this for a bowl of borscht.
slowshooter
hunter

Postby blackduckdog2 » Sun Aug 11, 2013 2:35 am

slowshooter wrote:
vincentpa wrote:
SpinnerMan wrote:

I agree that he has a hard time relating. But it's not his smarts getting in the way, it's his inability let go of the just-world hypothesis that drives most of his analysis of others.

I can point to the comment about rape that he made last week as proof. As well of any number of posts that blame people for the bad things that have happened to them.

Conservative guilt. It's a bitch
blackduckdog2
hunter

Postby Andy W » Sun Aug 11, 2013 4:41 am

slowshooter wrote:I agree that he has a hard time relating. But it's not his smarts getting in the way, it's his inability let go of the just-world hypothesis that drives most of his analysis of others.

So you are saying "You got what was coming to you," "What goes around comes around," and "You reap what you sow" aren't true?
Andy W
hunter

Postby SpinnerMan » Sun Aug 11, 2013 6:37 am

vincentpa wrote:
SpinnerMan wrote:

Isn't that what government mandated education should be doing by teaching those skills?

You are wrong Vince. Holding people blameless for their mistakes and actually going so far as to pretend like they are not mistakes when the results show that they so clearly where helps nobody especially the less intelligent to use your terminology.

That is the way it is and it IS a mistake when they do it.

This is why social security should be split into its separate components. The largest being retirement savings. If it were a mandatory IRA invested in a diversified portfolio of assets where you can't chase the market and only allocate your assets in a range of ways and rebalance that once or twice a year, far less people would make the mistake of not having enough.

Clearly not having enough in old age is a COMMON mistake. Education in high school and then a partial mandatory savings that encourages and makes it easy to go further are part of the solution to this common mistake.

I think it is condescending and arrogant to think that people cannot save enough to continue the same lifestyle after they retire. Just the money taken from social security should be close to enough if properly invested to continue the same lifestyle they had during their working years. Of course they can afford to save, they are already getting ripped off by the government for about enough. If you make 20k/yr, you can continue living on 20k/yr, if you make 1,000k/yr you can continue with that lifestyle. It's not that hard if you save from day one and we have the mechanism in place to do that if politicians hadn't created a horribly flawed system which I don't believe was a mistake. It is intentional that they have such a flawed system for all the control-freaks in Washington. They don't want people to learn to be independent and self-sufficient.
SpinnerMan
hunter

Postby SpinnerMan » Sun Aug 11, 2013 9:18 am

garyt wrote:Mr Spinner Man.

Our loving Bolshevik Govt is in the process of stealing Pensions, some funded, some not, from those that have worked and retired, whether cops, firemen, teachers, et al.
Bank accounts will be next like those in Cyprus, a dry run if you will.

The problem with pensions is that it goes into a collective pot. From day to day how much is in your pension? Image Who controls your pension? Image What are they doing with your pension? Image What does it cost you for them to do whatever they are doing? Image

Of course they are trying to steal it. Is there anything that you have of value that someone out there would not steal if given the opportunity? :fingerhead: We deal with this on a day to day basis with things far less valuable and are far more paranoid about protecting far less valuable things, but when it comes to the huge value of a pension, so many put so little effort into protecting it, but are paranoid about loosing things with $100 or less.

When you give up control to other people, especially when it is totally opaque, what do you expect to happen? Granted if you want to hand over responsibility for your retirement nest egg to someone else, maybe they when you retire, you will have a flock of valuable birds laying more eggs for you, but maybe somebody will have scrambled eggs on you and you will have nothing but eggshells. If they fail, it's not their problem is it and they usually got paid quite well by you to screw up your life.

That is a huge mistake. No reason to pretend otherwise.

Why do unions agree to this type of pension? It baffles me. Stupidity, corruption, ... Image
SpinnerMan
hunter

Next

Return to Controversial Issues Forum