Name your baby God...

A forum not related to waterfowl for discussing the more controversial and hot topic issues in our world from immigration, politics, the war, etc..

Moderators: Smackaduck, MM

Name your baby God...

Postby WoodyWhiffingMG » Mon Aug 12, 2013 9:33 am

There are only two types of people in the world, those who love duck hunting and those who never have duck hunted.
WoodyWhiffingMG
hunter

Re: Name your baby God...

Postby WTN10 » Mon Aug 12, 2013 9:46 am

I don't see how she can exercise jurisdiction over what someone names their child.
2014 Season Totals:
Mallards: 243
Redheads: 114
Woodducks: 119
Grebes: 36
Blue Geese: 134
Snow Geese: 178
Hawks: 4
WTN10
hunter

Postby WoodyWhiffingMG » Mon Aug 12, 2013 9:48 am

WTN10 wrote:I don't see how she can exercise jurisdiction over what someone names their child.

The claim was it is for the good of the child, naming the child that would be tantamount to child abuse. Because of the situation it may cause later in life.

But I agree
There are only two types of people in the world, those who love duck hunting and those who never have duck hunted.
WoodyWhiffingMG
hunter

Postby WTN10 » Mon Aug 12, 2013 9:52 am

The term "Messiah" is also not synonymous with Christ or God. Jesus is the Messiah in relationship with his people; however the term messiah simply means a savior or liberator, and not necessarily in a religious sense. Some consider David to have been a messiah; not the Messiah mind you, but a messiah. It's a title and it does not mean God or Jesus.

Besides, ever heard of a kid named Christopher? It's a name derived from Greek and means "Christ bearer." Amadeus? "Lover of God." Theodore? "God's gift." Roman Catholics also name their children Jesus regularly.
Last edited by WTN10 on Mon Aug 12, 2013 9:56 am, edited 1 time in total.
2014 Season Totals:
WTN10
hunter

Postby WTN10 » Mon Aug 12, 2013 9:52 am

WoodyWhiffingMG wrote:
WTN10 wrote:I don't see how she can exercise jurisdiction over what someone names their child.

The claim was it is for the good of the child, naming the child that would be tantamount to child abuse. Because of the situation it may cause later in life.

But I agree

Again, not any more than naming your child "Jesus," which people do all the time.
2014 Season Totals:
WTN10
hunter

Postby WoodyWhiffingMG » Mon Aug 12, 2013 9:55 am

WTN10 wrote:
WoodyWhiffingMG wrote:

But I agree

Again, not any more than naming your child "Jesus," which people do all the time.

I still agree with ya, stepping way over her bounds.

It is this lady's choice.
WoodyWhiffingMG
hunter

Postby Glimmerjim » Wed Aug 14, 2013 6:29 am

The mother is appealing the ruling and is expected to prevail. It also mentions that there were over 800 children in the US named Messiah in 2012.
This article goes on to show another case more egregious, but not illegal either, (in my opinion) in naming a child/children that took place in New Jersey in 2011. These children were named "Adolph Hitler" and "Aryan Nation". The children were removed from the family home, ostensibly due to "unfit conditions to raise children", not because of their given names.
The fight they are all really going through is whether this can subject the child to hostility later in life and should therefore be designated as "Child Abuse".

http://nation.time.com/2013/08/12/from- ... our-child/
Glimmerjim
hunter

Postby Indaswamp » Wed Aug 14, 2013 6:36 am

Name him "Sue"!!! :lol3: :hammer: :hammer: :hammer:
The Cajun 7 Course Meal; 1 lb. of boudin and a six pack of Abita beer.

Save the Marsh, Eat a Nutria!

Indaswamp
Forum Moderator

Postby ScaupHunter » Wed Aug 14, 2013 8:12 am

No dumber than naming your kid apple, nature, or any other name. I am not sure how this ended up in a courtroom. It really is not any of the government business.
Bella's
Decoy Setting Pro Staff
Boat Operator Pro Staff
Duck Shooting Pro Staff
Warm Towel Pro Staff
Snack Supply Pro Staff

He works for free! Who's the B now?
ScaupHunter
hunter

Postby Andy W » Wed Aug 14, 2013 8:20 am

Glimmerjim wrote:This article goes on to show another case more egregious, but not illegal either, (in my opinion) in naming a child/children that took place in New Jersey in 2011. These children were named "Adolph Hitler" and "Aryan Nation".

I think I know where one of them wound up. :lol3:
Andy W
hunter

Postby SpinnerMan » Wed Aug 14, 2013 8:49 am

WTN10 wrote:Again, not any more than naming your child "Jesus," which people do all the time.
:thumbsup:
Think Spanish pronunciation and it's not that uncommon.

http://www.babynamefacts.com/babynames/namesakes.php?name=Jesus#.UguXbZLvvQg
A politician thinks of the next election; a statesman of the next generation. A politician looks for the success of his party; a statesman for that of the country. The statesman wished to steer, while the politician was satisfied to drift.
SpinnerMan
hunter

Postby assateague » Wed Aug 14, 2013 9:24 am

Glimmerjim wrote:The mother is appealing the ruling and is expected to prevail. It also mentions that there were over 800 children in the US named Messiah in 2012.
This article goes on to show another case more egregious, but not illegal either, (in my opinion) in naming a child/children that took place in New Jersey in 2011. These children were named "Adolph Hitler" and "Aryan Nation". The children were removed from the family home, ostensibly due to "unfit conditions to raise children", not because of their given names.
The fight they are all really going through is whether this can subject the child to hostility later in life and should therefore be designated as "Child Abuse".

http://nation.time.com/2013/08/12/from- ... our-child/

Taking kids away for a name (ostensibly) would certainly seem to open the door for taking kids away for repeatedly failing in school. If it is indeed the future well-being of the child which is in question. But we both know that's not the case.
WOLVERINES

Give a man a fish and he eats for a day. Let a man vote to give himself a fish and he eats until society collapses.
assateague
Emu hunter extraordinaire

Postby Rat Creek » Wed Aug 14, 2013 12:30 pm

So Messiah is bad huh? I would not choose it for a child of mine, but where was this do-gooder liberal judge when the baby momma chose these real names: Shaniqua, Laquisha, La'Kisha, La'Tanya, Rohandra, Bon'Quisha, Sha'Tanya, Toprameneesha, La'Quishria, Shataniana, Bufanaquishria, La'Quishraniqua and Fo'Landra.

And yes, I have seen an actual name of a real kid whose name did begin with God. Unfortunately, it ended with zilla. Yes, there is a kid in the US whose mother decided Godzilla was an appropriate name. So how do you think that will turn out?

And if we are talking permanent harm with a name, is there anyone who wants to go to Dr. La'Quishraniqua Jackson for heart surgery when Dr. Ellen Jackson is available? :huh:
Rat Creek
Rat Creek
hunter

Postby WoodyWhiffingMG » Wed Aug 14, 2013 12:35 pm

Rat Creek wrote:So Messiah is bad huh? I would not choose it for a child of mine, but where was this do-gooder liberal judge when the baby momma chose these real names: Shaniqua, Laquisha, La'Kisha, La'Tanya, Rohandra, Bon'Quisha, Sha'Tanya, Toprameneesha, La'Quishria, Shataniana, Bufanaquishria, La'Quishraniqua and Fo'Landra.

And yes, I have seen an actual name of a real kid whose name did begin with God. Unfortunately, it ended with zilla. Yes, there is a kid in the US whose mother decided Godzilla was an appropriate name. So how do you think that will turn out?

And if we are talking permanent harm with a name, is there anyone who wants to go to Dr. La'Quishraniqua Jackson for heart surgery when Dr. Ellen Jackson is available? :huh:

These two made me chuckle.
WoodyWhiffingMG
hunter

Postby Glimmerjim » Wed Aug 14, 2013 12:44 pm

MackieKnife wrote:It all started when a judge said you couldn't sell your kids. And now this. Procreation is getting pretty pointless.

:lol3:
Glimmerjim
hunter

Postby beretta24 » Wed Aug 14, 2013 12:45 pm

I'm going to name my first kid *****. I'll call him Jack and change his real name after the first time I hear a teacher call out his name for attendance.
beretta24
State Moderator

Postby SpinnerMan » Wed Aug 14, 2013 12:50 pm

He is hell on ice :lol3:

Actually Šatan is Slovak and I have no idea what it means.

I have at least three Muhammed's in my building. Should that be banned? :huh:

MackieKnife wrote:It all started when a judge said you couldn't sell your kids.
It's like sex, you can give them away and accept them for free, but can't ask or offer a penny for them :fingerpt: Although you can kill them if you follow the proscribed procedures :huh: However, if you don't take that choice, you are limited on their name choice. I'm so confused about the higher moral principles we are suppose to live by Image
A politician thinks of the next election; a statesman of the next generation. A politician looks for the success of his party; a statesman for that of the country. The statesman wished to steer, while the politician was satisfied to drift.
SpinnerMan
hunter

Postby Indaswamp » Wed Aug 14, 2013 1:26 pm

Rat Creek wrote:So Messiah is bad huh? I would not choose it for a child of mine, but where was this do-gooder liberal judge when the baby momma chose these real names: Shaniqua, Laquisha, La'Kisha, La'Tanya, Rohandra, Bon'Quisha, Sha'Tanya, Toprameneesha, La'Quishria, Shataniana, Bufanaquishria, La'Quishraniqua and Fo'Landra.

you forgot Lafawnduh....
The Cajun 7 Course Meal; 1 lb. of boudin and a six pack of Abita beer.

Save the Marsh, Eat a Nutria!

Indaswamp
Forum Moderator

Postby go get the bird » Wed Aug 14, 2013 1:45 pm

Totally naming my first daughter that. :lol3:
MackieKnife wrote:The moral of the story is...I'm retarded.
go get the bird
hunter

Postby assateague » Wed Aug 14, 2013 2:10 pm

Actually, in this case it was NOT a do-gooder liberal judge, but a do-gooder conservative judge, who was offended by the name, and stated that there was only one Messiah, Jesus Christ. Which pretty much removes the stated concern that it was to "help the child in the future". Why can't people just mind their own business?
WOLVERINES

Give a man a fish and he eats for a day. Let a man vote to give himself a fish and he eats until society collapses.
assateague
Emu hunter extraordinaire

Postby beretta24 » Wed Aug 14, 2013 2:55 pm

assateague wrote:

Actually, in this case it was NOT a do-gooder liberal judge, but a do-gooder conservative judge, who was offended by the name, and stated that there was only one Messiah, Jesus Christ. Which pretty much removes the stated concern that it was to "help the child in the future". Why can't people just mind their own business?

Because worrying about inconsequential crap is easier than trying to understand that which we don't already know, but would like to think we do.
beretta24
State Moderator

Postby ScaupHunter » Wed Aug 14, 2013 2:58 pm

Last time I checked the 1st Amendment did not have anything to do with being offended. I would think that naming your child would fall under freedom of expression.

You can sell sex, you just have to make a video of it and sell it that way.
Bella's
Decoy Setting Pro Staff
Boat Operator Pro Staff
Duck Shooting Pro Staff
Warm Towel Pro Staff
Snack Supply Pro Staff

He works for free! Who's the B now?
ScaupHunter
hunter

Postby SpinnerMan » Wed Aug 14, 2013 3:12 pm

ScaupHunter wrote:You can sell sex, you just have to make a video of it and sell it that way.
You can sell watching it, but not the act itself, just like you can sell videos of your children but not the children themselves. The analogy still works :yes:
SpinnerMan
hunter

Postby dudejcb » Wed Aug 14, 2013 6:18 pm

I like the name "Fester."
What's so funny 'bout peace love and understanding?
dudejcb
hunter

Postby Glimmerjim » Wed Aug 14, 2013 7:25 pm

beretta24 wrote:
assateague wrote:

Because worrying about inconsequential crap is easier than trying to understand that which we don't already know, but would like to think we do.

That's a true statement, beretta!
Glimmerjim
hunter

Next

Return to Controversial Issues Forum