U.S.- War with Syria?

A forum not related to waterfowl for discussing the more controversial and hot topic issues in our world from immigration, politics, the war, etc..

Moderators: Smackaduck, MM

Re: U.S.- War with Syria?

Postby Chilidawg » Wed Sep 11, 2013 11:10 am

Gunnysway wrote:
Chilidawg wrote:
Gunnysway wrote:The deal is Putin called our presidents bluff,

Really? If the president's threat to launch a military strike was a bluff, the how was Putin's action calling him on it?

http://www.bloomberg.com/news/2013-09-0 ... trike.html

Two destroyers and a missile cruiser? Big deal. Those are intelligence gathering assets.
Chilidawg
hunter

Postby Chilidawg » Wed Sep 11, 2013 11:11 am

Gunnysway wrote:What is the roll of those two entities?

To provide fodder for tea party conspiracy theories (ie agenda 21)
Chilidawg
hunter

Postby MODuckkiller » Wed Sep 11, 2013 11:25 am

Chilidawg wrote:
Gunnysway wrote:
Chilidawg wrote:

Really? If the president's threat to launch a military strike was a bluff, the how was Putin's action calling him on it?

Two destroyers and a missile cruiser? Big deal. Those are intelligence gathering assets.

I could be wrong, but I read elsewhere (can't find the newspaper source online to source it) that the missile cruiser sent is more of a missile interceptor.
i.e. We fire cruise missiles, Russia shoots down said cruise missiles. Theoretically anyways.
MIZ
-MODuckkiller
MODuckkiller
hunter

Postby vincentpa » Wed Sep 11, 2013 11:31 am

Chilidawg wrote:What is the ultimate end game here?

The only way to achieve peace in Syria will be through a negotiated settlement between Assad and the rebels. Even them, it will likely take years to achieve.

Look at Lebanon, after decades of civil war, they were finally getting somewhere, that is until Assad went nuts and started killing his own people, driving all the refugees into Lebanon.

With which rebel faction would Assad negotiate a peace? You don't think things through much do you?
In a free society, it is not the obligation of the citizen to prove to the government that he is a good person. It is the obligation of the government to prove to the rest of the citizenry that the citizen is a bad person, with probable cause.
vincentpa
hunter

Postby vincentpa » Wed Sep 11, 2013 11:41 am

Chilidawg wrote:
Gunnysway wrote:
Chilidawg wrote:

Your insight is astounding. I'll be sure to contact you whenever I need a lesson on contingency planning and strategy.

Two destroyers and a missle cruiser represent an inferior force than our carrier group. However, those warships are not insignificant. Two bad situations can arise from the presence of these two ships. Keep in mind, the Russians do not have the same command and control over their assets like we do. A disgruntled Russian captain may decide he has had enough with the US and our imperialist policy. The cruiser most assuredly has anti ship missles as do the destroyers. They could get lucky and hit one of carriers costing us immensely in equipment and lives. Even if one of our destroyers or cruisers were hit, the cost would be high. Secondly, anytime two armed groups are in close proximity to each other in a tense situation, there is always the possibility the one side might misread the intentions of the other side and perceive an innocent act as hostile. The misread could also lead to a shooting conflict. The Russian military is diminished but not insignificant. A skirmish could lead to a greater conflict. That would be a disaster especially for our eastern European allies.
In a free society, it is not the obligation of the citizen to prove to the government that he is a good person. It is the obligation of the government to prove to the rest of the citizenry that the citizen is a bad person, with probable cause.
vincentpa
hunter

Postby SpinnerMan » Wed Sep 11, 2013 11:54 am

Chilidawg wrote:The only way to achieve peace in Syria will be through a negotiated settlement between Assad and the rebels.
A crushing victory wouldn't do it? :huh: There is some precedent that that sometimes leads to a lasting peace. :yes:

As I understand it, most of these countries were a lot more peaceful when they were occupied by European powers. Hey, just saying.

There is almost never only one way to achieve something.

But hey, why don't you write down those terms that are agreeable to both sides and post them up and send a copy to Assad and the rebels just in case they were unaware that they could live together without fighting.

Is there anything that you would fight for rather than give up in exchange for a negotiated peace?

Are you sure that both sides don't feel it is worth fighting over?

Wouldn't that suggest that if your way is the only way and that way may not work, then there may in fact be no way? :huh:
Last edited by SpinnerMan on Wed Sep 11, 2013 12:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
A politician thinks of the next election; a statesman of the next generation. A politician looks for the success of his party; a statesman for that of the country. The statesman wished to steer, while the politician was satisfied to drift.
SpinnerMan
hunter

Postby vincentpa » Wed Sep 11, 2013 11:56 am

SpinnerMan wrote:
vincentpa wrote:The only way to achieve peace in Syria will be through a negotiated settlement between Assad and the rebels.
A crushing victory wouldn't do it? :huh: There is some precedent that that sometimes leads to a lasting peace. :yes:

As I understand it, most of these countries were a lot more peaceful when they were occupied by European powers. Hey, just saying.

But hey, why don't you write down those terms that are agreeable to both sides and post them up and send a copy to Assad and the rebels just in case they were unaware that they could live together without fighting.

Is there anything that you would fight for rather than give up in exchange for a negotiated peace?

Wouldn't that suggest that if your way is the only way and that way may not work, then there may in fact be no way? :huh:

THat's not my quote Spinner. I was quoting the genius Chilidawg. Please change the name so as I am not confused for him.
vincentpa
hunter

Postby Gunnysway » Wed Sep 11, 2013 12:11 pm

Let's not forget Putin called in his commie buddies from China to "observe" the situation. 'Cause that's normal.

http://www.infowars.com/report-china-se ... -of-syria/
Setting up meetings between geese and God since 1992...

Gud till ära, oss till gagn...
Gunnysway
hunter

Postby beretta24 » Wed Sep 11, 2013 12:18 pm

Riddle me this chili, why are we getting involved? Because 1400 were killed with chem weapons?
beretta24
State Moderator

Postby SpinnerMan » Wed Sep 11, 2013 12:30 pm

vincentpa wrote:
SpinnerMan wrote:
vincentpa wrote:The only way to achieve peace in Syria will be through a negotiated settlement between Assad and the rebels.

THat's not my quote Spinner. I was quoting the genius Chilidawg. Please change the name so as I am not confused for him.

Oops sorry. I knew that, but just stole it from your post instead of going back to the original and then screwed up the edit. Sorry. I fixed it.
A politician thinks of the next election; a statesman of the next generation. A politician looks for the success of his party; a statesman for that of the country. The statesman wished to steer, while the politician was satisfied to drift.
SpinnerMan
hunter

Postby assateague » Wed Sep 11, 2013 12:34 pm

Gunnysway wrote:Let's not forget Putin called in his commie buddies from China to "observe" the situation. 'Cause that's normal.

China and Russia hate each other.
WOLVERINES

Give a man a fish and he eats for a day. Let a man vote to give himself a fish and he eats until society collapses.
assateague
Emu hunter extraordinaire

Postby SpinnerMan » Wed Sep 11, 2013 12:43 pm

assateague wrote:
Gunnysway wrote:Let's not forget Putin called in his commie buddies from China to "observe" the situation. 'Cause that's normal.

But they hate us more :yes:

We are the enemy of their enemy that makes them friends.
SpinnerMan
hunter

Postby Gunnysway » Wed Sep 11, 2013 12:44 pm

Who do they hate more, each other or us? Not trying to be a smart ass. I just know each would like to knock us down a peg. And what better way than teaming up on the Big Guy?

Gunnysway
hunter

Postby Gunnysway » Wed Sep 11, 2013 12:45 pm

Beat me to it... :mad:

:lol3:

Gunnysway
hunter

Postby Chilidawg » Wed Sep 11, 2013 12:47 pm

beretta24 wrote:Riddle me this chili, why are we getting involved? Because 1400 were killed with chem weapons?

Because ultimately if the US and the rest of the world dont get together try to stop this war, the death toll will be 1.4 million.
Chilidawg
hunter

Postby vincentpa » Wed Sep 11, 2013 1:00 pm

Chilidawg wrote:
beretta24 wrote:Riddle me this chili, why are we getting involved? Because 1400 were killed with chem weapons?

Because ultimately if the US and the rest of the world dont get together try to stop this war, the death toll will be 1.4 million.

Can you use your crystal ball to tell me what the next Powerball numbers will be?

Hyperbole only makes you seem small.

It's not our war to stop. It's a civil war where ALL sides have legitimate concerns and grievances. It's none of our business. If you want to get involved, I suggest you go to Syria, pick up a rifle and join the rebels. I'm sure they'll welcome you with open arms. If they don't cut your head off first for being an infidel that is. Don't be so quick to send some poor sap who joined our military to go fight and die for what you envision is a just cause but has no bearing on our national security or national interests.
Last edited by vincentpa on Wed Sep 11, 2013 1:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
vincentpa
hunter

Postby Chilidawg » Wed Sep 11, 2013 1:01 pm

vincentpa wrote:

The only way to achieve peace in Syria will be through a negotiated settlement between Assad and the rebels. Even them, it will likely take years to achieve.

Look at Lebanon, after decades of civil war, they were finally getting somewhere, that is until Assad went nuts and started killing his own people, driving all the refugees into Lebanon.

With which rebel faction would Assad negotiate a peace? You don't think things through much do you?

One at a time, son, one at a time.
Chilidawg
hunter

Postby vincentpa » Wed Sep 11, 2013 1:09 pm

Chilidawg wrote:
vincentpa wrote:

One at a time, son, one at a time.

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

I'm trying to conclude if you're 12 or just naive and foolish. Maybe Assad can give a speech in Cairo and the multitudes of rebel factions will fawn over his eloquence and be inexorably driven to make peace.

You really don't understand the region, the factions and their grievances.
vincentpa
hunter

Postby beretta24 » Wed Sep 11, 2013 1:24 pm

Chilidawg wrote:

If you haven't noticed the rest of the world said no thanks. Where is our greatest ally? That's right, they walked away.

You think Russia got involved for any other reason than to protect their Syrian interests?

Not to mention we've let millions die in Africa without lifting a finger. Where was the US and the world then?
beretta24
State Moderator

Postby SpinnerMan » Wed Sep 11, 2013 2:22 pm

Chilidawg wrote:

If the rest of the world wanted to stop this, they don't need the U.S. at all, do they? So why don't they? :huh:

If we don't care, nobody cares.

And we can't care about everybody.

Although we do seem to care more about Syrians than the people in our Democrat-held cities :huh:

Hey, what they hell, let's play it. I don't think that's the reason, but that's not the point of playing it anyways.

Looks like this is not just a coincidence

beretta24 wrote:Not to mention we've let millions die in Africa without lifting a finger. Where was the US and the world then?
Must be race that explains this. Syrians aren't black, are they? It explains everything doesn't it when the coincidental disparate impact is unfavorable to the liberal agenda? :rolleyes:

SpinnerMan
hunter

Postby ScaupHunter » Wed Sep 11, 2013 2:37 pm

Chilidawg wrote:

1.4 million dead enemies at the enemies own hand. Simply Awesome. We need to arm both sides with chemical weapons and kill everyone who refuses to use them. Syria did not sign the treaty banning them so it is perfectly legal for both sides to use them.

So tell me Nostradamus, how many are going to die when Iran nukes Isreal in 10 years and Armageddon begins. :fingerhead:
Bella's
Decoy Setting Pro Staff
Boat Operator Pro Staff
Duck Shooting Pro Staff
Warm Towel Pro Staff
Snack Supply Pro Staff

He works for free! Who's the B now?
ScaupHunter
hunter

Postby MODuckkiller » Wed Sep 11, 2013 3:01 pm

beretta24 wrote:
Chilidawg wrote:

If you haven't noticed the rest of the world said no thanks. Where is our greatest ally? That's right, they walked away.

You think Russia got involved for any other reason than to protect their Syrian interests?

Not to mention we've let millions die in Africa without lifting a finger. Where was the US and the world then?

The UN was/is/and will be involved minimally.
And the USA was involved in Africa at one point in time as well.
Sooooooo......... :hammer: :hammer:
MIZ
-MODuckkiller
MODuckkiller
hunter

Postby Gunnysway » Wed Sep 11, 2013 4:47 pm

MODuckkiller wrote:
beretta24 wrote:
Chilidawg wrote:

Yup... They are there... Telling this president to back off. Hence the fact we haven't heard a peep from them

Except, of course to warn us against any rash decisions.

Gunnysway
hunter

Postby beretta24 » Wed Sep 11, 2013 5:02 pm

MODuckkiller wrote:
beretta24 wrote:
Chilidawg wrote:

The US provided squat to the MILLIONS killed in Africa in the past decades. I hope you're being sarcastic.

Wait for millions to die and then jump on what is now estimated at closer to 1000 dead from chemical weapons...ya I see the consistency there. @

There's more to it than that.
beretta24
State Moderator

Postby ohioboy » Wed Sep 11, 2013 6:19 pm

SpinnerMan wrote:
assateague wrote:

But they hate us more :yes:

We are the enemy of their enemy that makes them friends.

used that quote in class today. you should see the thought bubbles as they stare at the ceiling figuring it out. :help:
ohioboy
hunter

PreviousNext

Return to Controversial Issues Forum