Michigan takes a step in the RIGHT direction.

A forum not related to waterfowl for discussing the more controversial and hot topic issues in our world from immigration, politics, the war, etc..

Moderators: Smackaduck, MM

Michigan takes a step in the RIGHT direction.

Postby ctdeathfrombelow » Thu Sep 19, 2013 4:25 pm

Finally! Some people are at least trying to offset the free money people are receiving with an honest day's volunteering.....
A bill has passed in the Michigan Senate that would require those receiving public assistance to do some “volunteer” work. Another bill, which passed the House Commerce Committee, requires drug testing, revoking benefits for welfare recipients who refuse the test or who test positive.

“What [the legislation] does, it says, in order for your to receive your cash assistance, your welfare check, you must provide some kind of community service to the community,” said the volunteer work bill’s sponsor, State Senator Joe Hune, who represents Livingston and Shiawasse counties in Mid-Michigan.

Hune says he was inspired by a constituent who began to volunteer while on welfare — and that community service evolved into full employment.

“The whole intention is to make certain folks have some skin in the game, and I don’t feel that there’s any problem with making folks go out and do some kind of community service in order to receive their cash assistance,” Hune said.

State Sen. Vincent Gregory, D-Southfield, thinks the bills take aim at people who are already suffering their lowest moments.

“These people, they already need as much money as they can get, they wouldn’t be asking for it if they didn’t need it,” he said. “It seems that this philosophy that everyone must have skin in the game, you know, it’s like you may have some financial issues, you may be down and out … That kind of philosophy to me — if you’re healthy bodied, I can see it — but for a lot of people, I just think that it is very intrusive.”

http://www.google.com/gwt/x?u=http://de ... QBg&wsc=vb
ctdeathfrombelow
hunter

Re: Michigan takes a step in the RIGHT direction.

Postby ScaupHunter » Thu Sep 19, 2013 5:05 pm

All his drugged up layz azz supporters are gonna be pizzed they haz to get off they azz and do some wuk.
Bella's
Decoy Setting Pro Staff
Boat Operator Pro Staff
Duck Shooting Pro Staff
Warm Towel Pro Staff
Snack Supply Pro Staff

He works for free! Who's the B now?
ScaupHunter
hunter

Postby ohioboy » Fri Sep 20, 2013 3:54 pm

i love the idea. seems to be a natural for any type of assistance. break the law, assistance is gone. i would go so far as to say all laws. slippery slope, yes i know, but if money is being doled out, why not put some rules in place?
ohioboy
hunter

Postby dthur » Fri Sep 27, 2013 12:57 pm

V. Gregory, I knew it had to be one of bama's kids!
dthur
hunter

Postby SpinnerMan » Fri Sep 27, 2013 1:20 pm

ohioboy wrote:i love the idea. seems to be a natural for any type of assistance. break the law, assistance is gone. i would go so far as to say all laws. slippery slope, yes i know, but if money is being doled out, why not put some rules in place?

Because it harms the children. Why should the children starve to death just because their mother is a drug addicted loser that can't do anything but lift her legs up to let some loser knock her up again?

Seriously, if you don't believe in person responsibility, you do not believe in personal responsibility. That is why it is not natural for those that create these destructive programs.

It's not a slippery slope and here is why, you have no right, no entitlement, etc. for these handouts. You can simply tell the government to go screw themselves and there is nothing the government can do about it. It's as slippery as a job.

However, none of this "assistance" is about assisting anyone. It's about political power and the dependency this creates combined with feel-good ignorance.

And if you are working to build an impenetrable political power base of poverty, working is the slipperiest slope of all.

Why do you think over 40 million people on food stamps in 21st century America is not a point of great shame for the President and every politician that claims they are working to end poverty? If that is not the definition of failure, you have to ask why?
A politician thinks of the next election; a statesman of the next generation. A politician looks for the success of his party; a statesman for that of the country. The statesman wished to steer, while the politician was satisfied to drift.
SpinnerMan
hunter

Postby WoodyWhiffingMG » Fri Sep 27, 2013 1:56 pm

State Sen. Vincent Gregory, D-Southfield, thinks the bills take aim at people who are already suffering their lowest moments.

“These people, they already need as much money as they can get, they wouldn’t be asking for it if they didn’t need it,” he said.

Wow, that statement pisses me off, so much!

What about the suffering I go to so they can get that money?
There are only two types of people in the world, those who love duck hunting and those who never have duck hunted.
WoodyWhiffingMG
hunter

Return to Controversial Issues Forum