The World's Serious Condition

A forum not related to waterfowl for discussing the more controversial and hot topic issues in our world from immigration, politics, the war, etc..

Moderators: Smackaduck, MM

The World's Serious Condition

Postby blackduckdog2 » Thu Oct 24, 2013 12:34 pm

You guys got it ALL wrong!!
Bogo small.jpg
"We have met the enemy, and he is us."
Walt Kelly, via Slow's avatar. Look it up
User avatar
blackduckdog2
hunter
 
Posts: 6290
Joined: Tue Nov 25, 2008 11:02 am


Re: The World's Serious Condition

Postby vincentpa » Thu Oct 24, 2013 12:38 pm

Sounds (reads) mildly racist to me.
In a free society, it is not the obligation of the citizen to prove to the government that he is a good person. It is the obligation of the government to prove to the rest of the citizenry that the citizen is a bad person, with probable cause.
User avatar
vincentpa
hunter
 
Posts: 7724
Joined: Wed Nov 10, 2010 6:50 am
Location: Pittsburgh, PA

Re: The World's Serious Condition

Postby blackduckdog2 » Thu Oct 24, 2013 12:41 pm

vincentpa wrote:Sounds (reads) mildly racist to me.

You ain't never read you no Pogo afore?!? Why honey-chile, you is done been BEE-knighted!
"We have met the enemy, and he is us."
Walt Kelly, via Slow's avatar. Look it up
User avatar
blackduckdog2
hunter
 
Posts: 6290
Joined: Tue Nov 25, 2008 11:02 am

Re: The World's Serious Condition

Postby Indaswamp » Thu Oct 24, 2013 1:04 pm

screw professional baseball and the world series!
The Cajun 7 Course Meal; 1 lb. of boudin and a six pack of Abita beer.

Save the Marsh, Eat a Nutria!

Never fart in your waders, it'll give you WORTS.
User avatar
Indaswamp
Forum Moderator
 
Posts: 57473
Joined: Thu Aug 07, 2008 8:40 pm
Location: South Louisiana

Re: The World's Serious Condition

Postby go get the bird » Thu Oct 24, 2013 1:26 pm

Indaswamp wrote:screw professional baseball and the world series!

The only pro sporting event you can watch where the game can be 3/4 of the way done before you realize they are actually playing. :fingerhead:
MackieKnife wrote:The moral of the story is...I'm retarded.
User avatar
go get the bird
hunter
 
Posts: 3354
Joined: Tue Oct 18, 2011 1:12 pm

Re: The World's Serious Condition

Postby assateague » Thu Oct 24, 2013 1:48 pm

It's also the only sport where the defense has the ball.
WOLVERINES

Give a man a fish and he eats for a day. Let a man vote to give himself a fish and he eats until society collapses.
User avatar
assateague
Emu hunter extraordinaire
 
Posts: 21277
Joined: Tue Oct 06, 2009 12:25 pm
Location: Eastern Shore, People's Republic of Maryland

Re: The World's Serious Condition

Postby ScaupHunter » Thu Oct 24, 2013 4:03 pm

Screw all organized sports as far as I am concerned. I simply cannot understand why people watch someone play with their balls. Hockey has a few good fights a game and some serious rough housing and checking. I still don't watch it though I do find it at least mildly interesting.

There are far to many, far more important things to be doing in life. Family time, spending time killing things to eat, time spent learning new things, etc...... I would rather watch paint dry than watch baseball. Dumbest game ever invented!

Now if we all want to talk about women's beach volleyball, you have my full attention. :thumbsup:
Bella's
Decoy Setting Pro Staff
Boat Operator Pro Staff
Duck Shooting Pro Staff
Warm Towel Pro Staff
Snack Supply Pro Staff

He works for free! Who's the B now?
User avatar
ScaupHunter
hunter
 
Posts: 6651
Joined: Sat Mar 17, 2012 5:57 am

Re: The World's Serious Condition

Postby ctdeathfrombelow » Thu Oct 24, 2013 4:22 pm

assateague wrote:It's also the only sport where the defense has the ball.

There's a few NFL teams that don't have the ball when they're on the offense.....
User avatar
ctdeathfrombelow
hunter
 
Posts: 1515
Joined: Mon Jun 20, 2011 8:34 pm
Location: Connecticut: The Confiscation State

Re: The World's Serious Condition

Postby blackduckdog2 » Thu Oct 24, 2013 6:02 pm

Nobody knows Pogo? I figured one of you southerners would have a real soft spot in your heart for that old strip. This one was from October 1950, btw
"We have met the enemy, and he is us."
Walt Kelly, via Slow's avatar. Look it up
User avatar
blackduckdog2
hunter
 
Posts: 6290
Joined: Tue Nov 25, 2008 11:02 am

Re: The World's Serious Condition

Postby ohioboy » Thu Oct 24, 2013 8:21 pm

ctdeathfrombelow wrote:
assateague wrote:It's also the only sport where the defense has the ball.

There's a few NFL teams that don't have the ball when they're on the offense.....
:rolleyes: i am a browns fan...and live in redskins territory....
User avatar
ohioboy
hunter
 
Posts: 2356
Joined: Mon Apr 06, 2009 9:28 pm
Location: MoCo, MD

Re: The World's Serious Condition

Postby ctdeathfrombelow » Thu Oct 24, 2013 9:08 pm

ohioboy wrote:
ctdeathfrombelow wrote:
assateague wrote:It's also the only sport where the defense has the ball.

There's a few NFL teams that don't have the ball when they're on the offense.....
:rolleyes: i am a browns fan...and live in redskins territory....

I'm a Skins fan in Patriots/Giants/Jets territory.......
User avatar
ctdeathfrombelow
hunter
 
Posts: 1515
Joined: Mon Jun 20, 2011 8:34 pm
Location: Connecticut: The Confiscation State

Re: The World's Serious Condition

Postby blackduckdog2 » Thu Oct 24, 2013 9:42 pm

ctdeathfrombelow wrote:
ohioboy wrote:
ctdeathfrombelow wrote:
assateague wrote:It's also the only sport where the defense has the ball.

There's a few NFL teams that don't have the ball when they're on the offense.....
:rolleyes: i am a browns fan...and live in redskins territory....

I'm a Skins fan in Patriots/Giants/Jets territory.......

I'm a Giants fan in Seahawks territory with an entire FAMILY of Pats fans back east. We've had major battles over thlast two Superbowls where they clashed
And for the record, I never dumped the Pats for the Giants. When I was a kid, there WERE no Patriots, and even once there were, they were just AFL upstarts. I maintained my loyalty all these years and my family jumped ship when Tom Brady took over.
In other (more relevant) news, the Sox and Cards are tied at one game apiece
"We have met the enemy, and he is us."
Walt Kelly, via Slow's avatar. Look it up
User avatar
blackduckdog2
hunter
 
Posts: 6290
Joined: Tue Nov 25, 2008 11:02 am

Re: The World's Serious Condition

Postby Indaswamp » Thu Oct 24, 2013 9:49 pm

Matter of fact-screw all professional sports. Only attend a super bowl party for the social event and food anyways....the commercials use to be a draw, but not so much anymore.
The Cajun 7 Course Meal; 1 lb. of boudin and a six pack of Abita beer.

Save the Marsh, Eat a Nutria!

Never fart in your waders, it'll give you WORTS.
User avatar
Indaswamp
Forum Moderator
 
Posts: 57473
Joined: Thu Aug 07, 2008 8:40 pm
Location: South Louisiana

Re: The World's Serious Condition

Postby blackduckdog2 » Thu Oct 24, 2013 10:08 pm

Indaswamp wrote:Matter of fact-screw all professional sports. Only attend a super bowl party for the social event and food anyways....the commercials use to be a draw, but not so much anymore.

I get that some folks don't like to watch sports, but why "screw-'em-all'? How is it different from say, the music industry? Just making a buck giving the people what they want
"We have met the enemy, and he is us."
Walt Kelly, via Slow's avatar. Look it up
User avatar
blackduckdog2
hunter
 
Posts: 6290
Joined: Tue Nov 25, 2008 11:02 am

Re: The World's Serious Condition

Postby clampdaddy » Thu Oct 24, 2013 10:53 pm

I love to see a game in person (go Raiders!) but I can't watch sports on tv. The interaction with a crowd full of screaming fans, along with the smells, sounds, and history that hang on the air within the coliseum are what make the game enjoyable for me. Without that its like drinking a bloody Mary without the Tabasco sauce.
User avatar
clampdaddy
hunter
 
Posts: 3635
Joined: Tue May 24, 2011 9:23 pm
Location: Where spoonies go to die

Re: The World's Serious Condition

Postby blackduckdog2 » Thu Oct 24, 2013 11:34 pm

clampdaddy wrote:I love to see a game in person (go Raiders!) but I can't watch sports on tv. The interaction with a crowd full of screaming fans, along with the smells, sounds, and history that hang on the air within the coliseum are what make the game enjoyable for me. Without that its like drinking a bloody Mary without the Tabasco sauce.

But if you're a real student of the game, you can actually see so much more from home, and I don't just mean instant replay. There is so much more going on in a baseball game on every pitch than the average fan ever suspects, that I often have two pages open online, plus an iPad in my lap as I watch the TV. I love the ballpark experience too, don't get me wrong, but watching from home is a whole different way to enjoy the game
"We have met the enemy, and he is us."
Walt Kelly, via Slow's avatar. Look it up
User avatar
blackduckdog2
hunter
 
Posts: 6290
Joined: Tue Nov 25, 2008 11:02 am

Re: The World's Serious Condition

Postby Indaswamp » Fri Oct 25, 2013 12:15 am

blackduckdog2 wrote:
clampdaddy wrote:I love to see a game in person (go Raiders!) but I can't watch sports on tv. The interaction with a crowd full of screaming fans, along with the smells, sounds, and history that hang on the air within the coliseum are what make the game enjoyable for me. Without that its like drinking a bloody Mary without the Tabasco sauce.

But if you're a real student of the game, you can actually see so much more from home, and I don't just mean instant replay. There is so much more going on in a baseball game on every pitch than the average fan ever suspects, that I often have two pages open online, plus an iPad in my lap as I watch the TV. I love the ballpark experience too, don't get me wrong, but watching from home is a whole different way to enjoy the game

So it's the mental aspect for you...

I personally do not like the direction pro sports have gone. Too damn many prima-donna players who think their schit don't stink. Big turn off for me.
The Cajun 7 Course Meal; 1 lb. of boudin and a six pack of Abita beer.

Save the Marsh, Eat a Nutria!

Never fart in your waders, it'll give you WORTS.
User avatar
Indaswamp
Forum Moderator
 
Posts: 57473
Joined: Thu Aug 07, 2008 8:40 pm
Location: South Louisiana

Re: The World's Serious Condition

Postby blackduckdog2 » Fri Oct 25, 2013 12:22 am

Indaswamp wrote:
blackduckdog2 wrote:
clampdaddy wrote:I love to see a game in person (go Raiders!) but I can't watch sports on tv. The interaction with a crowd full of screaming fans, along with the smells, sounds, and history that hang on the air within the coliseum are what make the game enjoyable for me. Without that its like drinking a bloody Mary without the Tabasco sauce.

But if you're a real student of the game, you can actually see so much more from home, and I don't just mean instant replay. There is so much more going on in a baseball game on every pitch than the average fan ever suspects, that I often have two pages open online, plus an iPad in my lap as I watch the TV. I love the ballpark experience too, don't get me wrong, but watching from home is a whole different way to enjoy the game

So it's the mental aspect for you...

I personally do not like the direction pro sports have gone. Too damn many prima-donna players who think their schit don't stink. Big turn off for me.

Yeah, I totally get that, Inda. But there are a few genuine salt of the earth types who stand out by comparison (this Red Sox team actually has quite a few) People will always pay to see the best of the best though, no matter what the endeavor, and that's always gonna produce egomaniacs. I figure I gotta take the good with the bad
"We have met the enemy, and he is us."
Walt Kelly, via Slow's avatar. Look it up
User avatar
blackduckdog2
hunter
 
Posts: 6290
Joined: Tue Nov 25, 2008 11:02 am

Re: The World's Serious Condition

Postby Indaswamp » Fri Oct 25, 2013 12:27 am

blackduckdog2 wrote:
Indaswamp wrote:
blackduckdog2 wrote:
clampdaddy wrote:I love to see a game in person (go Raiders!) but I can't watch sports on tv. The interaction with a crowd full of screaming fans, along with the smells, sounds, and history that hang on the air within the coliseum are what make the game enjoyable for me. Without that its like drinking a bloody Mary without the Tabasco sauce.

But if you're a real student of the game, you can actually see so much more from home, and I don't just mean instant replay. There is so much more going on in a baseball game on every pitch than the average fan ever suspects, that I often have two pages open online, plus an iPad in my lap as I watch the TV. I love the ballpark experience too, don't get me wrong, but watching from home is a whole different way to enjoy the game

So it's the mental aspect for you...

I personally do not like the direction pro sports have gone. Too damn many prima-donna players who think their schit don't stink. Big turn off for me.

Yeah, I totally get that, Inda. But there are a few genuine salt of the earth types who stand out by comparison (this Red Sox team actually has quite a few) People will always pay to see the best of the best though, no matter what the endeavor, and that's always gonna produce egomaniacs. I figure I gotta take the good with the bad

look at the sheer number per capita of players the run into serious problems with the law...drugs, theft, battery, domestic violence, etc. Not to mention the sheer stupidity they display when they blow millions upon leaving the sport. How can you be that stupid and piss away so much?
The Cajun 7 Course Meal; 1 lb. of boudin and a six pack of Abita beer.

Save the Marsh, Eat a Nutria!

Never fart in your waders, it'll give you WORTS.
User avatar
Indaswamp
Forum Moderator
 
Posts: 57473
Joined: Thu Aug 07, 2008 8:40 pm
Location: South Louisiana

Re: The World's Serious Condition

Postby blackduckdog2 » Fri Oct 25, 2013 12:50 am

like you say........they're stupid. But I'm not interested in how they're brains work (well, outside of their game-brain, that is) It's like most actors are just the dumbest interview imaginable, and I pretty much never wanna hear a word they say. But I might want to watch them interpret a Tennessee Williams character
"We have met the enemy, and he is us."
Walt Kelly, via Slow's avatar. Look it up
User avatar
blackduckdog2
hunter
 
Posts: 6290
Joined: Tue Nov 25, 2008 11:02 am

Re: The World's Serious Condition

Postby vincentpa » Fri Oct 25, 2013 6:09 am

blackduckdog2 wrote:
vincentpa wrote:Sounds (reads) mildly racist to me.

You ain't never read you no Pogo afore?!? Why honey-chile, you is done been BEE-knighted!



I never heard of it. It is sinfully funny though.


The first game I took my wife to at PNC Park, she was amazed the bridge leading to the stadium was renamed the Roberto Clemente bridge and there is a bronze statue of him outside the stadium. As it turned out, there was a tribute to Roberto Clemente that game with fireworks. We didn't know it before the game; I just thought it was a nice night for a ball game. Roberto Clemente is from the same town in Puerto Rico as my wife. Whenever we drive to her aunt's house in PR, we drive on Roberto Clemente Boulevard where you are greeted by a giant bronze statue of the man. Life is full of coincidences.
In a free society, it is not the obligation of the citizen to prove to the government that he is a good person. It is the obligation of the government to prove to the rest of the citizenry that the citizen is a bad person, with probable cause.
User avatar
vincentpa
hunter
 
Posts: 7724
Joined: Wed Nov 10, 2010 6:50 am
Location: Pittsburgh, PA

Re: The World's Serious Condition

Postby cartervj » Fri Oct 25, 2013 7:31 am

I kinda agree with Inda, used to love playing and watching FB and BB. Too much drama these days. College FB is still fun at times til you hear one of those that lived and breathed as if their life depended on their team winning. I still enjoy watching a good game every now and then though. My Dad keeps up with most all College sports, even comes up with defensive strategies for an upcoming game. Guess you can't rid oneself of being a coach. :lol3: He still keeps stats for the Braves and a few others.

I did enjoy the heck out of watching Farve play at Lambo against the Steelers the year the Steelers won the Super Bowl a few years back. Much more enjoyable than TV.

I don't recall the comic strip, I do remember Dad coaching the first integrated High School FB team in the area though, he even had a black defensive coach which was rare.
“Nothing makes me more certain of the victory of our ideas than our success in the universities” – Adolf H, 1930
User avatar
cartervj
hunter
 
Posts: 7335
Joined: Mon Jul 06, 2009 3:01 pm
Location: NW AL

Re: The World's Serious Condition

Postby beretta24 » Fri Oct 25, 2013 9:18 am

I've written off sports for the most part as well. The emphasis is more on money than ever before. I don't like supporting people making millions to play a game in a stadium funded by taxpayers for billionaire owners. Its merely a symptom of a sad shift in values.

There are some good athletes that are great people, but I have other places I'd rather put my money. And I'd rather watch a flock of greenheads that are locked up than a couple millionaires dance every time they make a tackle.
User avatar
beretta24
State Moderator
 
Posts: 5951
Joined: Sun Oct 26, 2008 6:54 pm
Location: MN

Re: The World's Serious Condition

Postby ohioboy » Fri Oct 25, 2013 9:57 am

Indaswamp wrote:
blackduckdog2 wrote:
Indaswamp wrote:
blackduckdog2 wrote:
clampdaddy wrote:I love to see a game in person (go Raiders!) but I can't watch sports on tv. The interaction with a crowd full of screaming fans, along with the smells, sounds, and history that hang on the air within the coliseum are what make the game enjoyable for me. Without that its like drinking a bloody Mary without the Tabasco sauce.

But if you're a real student of the game, you can actually see so much more from home, and I don't just mean instant replay. There is so much more going on in a baseball game on every pitch than the average fan ever suspects, that I often have two pages open online, plus an iPad in my lap as I watch the TV. I love the ballpark experience too, don't get me wrong, but watching from home is a whole different way to enjoy the game

So it's the mental aspect for you...

I personally do not like the direction pro sports have gone. Too damn many prima-donna players who think their schit don't stink. Big turn off for me.

Yeah, I totally get that, Inda. But there are a few genuine salt of the earth types who stand out by comparison (this Red Sox team actually has quite a few) People will always pay to see the best of the best though, no matter what the endeavor, and that's always gonna produce egomaniacs. I figure I gotta take the good with the bad

look at the sheer number per capita of players the run into serious problems with the law...drugs, theft, battery, domestic violence, etc. Not to mention the sheer stupidity they display when they blow millions upon leaving the sport. How can you be that stupid and piss away so much?

problems with the law....stupid....blow millions.....are we talking about politicians?

miller time soon. :beer:
User avatar
ohioboy
hunter
 
Posts: 2356
Joined: Mon Apr 06, 2009 9:28 pm
Location: MoCo, MD

Re: The World's Serious Condition

Postby clampdaddy » Fri Oct 25, 2013 11:12 am

blackduckdog2 wrote:
clampdaddy wrote:I love to see a game in person (go Raiders!) but I can't watch sports on tv. The interaction with a crowd full of screaming fans, along with the smells, sounds, and history that hang on the air within the coliseum are what make the game enjoyable for me. Without that its like drinking a bloody Mary without the Tabasco sauce.

But if you're a real student of the game, you can actually see so much more from home, and I don't just mean instant replay. There is so much more going on in a baseball game on every pitch than the average fan ever suspects, that I often have two pages open online, plus an iPad in my lap as I watch the TV. I love the ballpark experience too, don't get me wrong, but watching from home is a whole different way to enjoy the game

I know there are guys who love the stuff. I have a cousin that will have three
televisions going, each of them set up with multiple pip's. When my mom is around, the world stops if the Steelers are on. For me televised sports is just a good way to kick off a Sunday afternoon nap. :lol3:
User avatar
clampdaddy
hunter
 
Posts: 3635
Joined: Tue May 24, 2011 9:23 pm
Location: Where spoonies go to die

Next

Return to Controversial Issues Forum

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 4 guests