Who flies this flag?

A forum not related to waterfowl for discussing the more controversial and hot topic issues in our world from immigration, politics, the war, etc..

Moderators: Smackaduck, MM

Re: Who flies this flag?

Postby Indaswamp » Sun Nov 03, 2013 10:20 am

blackduckdog2 wrote:Just for the record, I agree with everything in this thread. Except the "It wasn't about slavery part", because that's delusional. And the degree to which the delusion is frantically promulgated is telling. Yes, we all know there were a great many contributing factors that drove the country into near suicide. But slavery, SLAVERY was obviously not one of them. Carry on

slavery was not the main thrust of the war. period. The main thrust was economics. Many people try to make slavery the main thrust of the war and well that just is not true.
The Cajun 7 Course Meal; 1 lb. of boudin and a six pack of Abita beer.

Save the Marsh, Eat a Nutria!

Indaswamp
Forum Moderator

Postby ohioboy » Sun Nov 03, 2013 10:27 am

Indaswamp wrote:
blackduckdog2 wrote:Just for the record, I agree with everything in this thread. Except the "It wasn't about slavery part", because that's delusional. And the degree to which the delusion is frantically promulgated is telling. Yes, we all know there were a great many contributing factors that drove the country into near suicide. But slavery, SLAVERY was obviously not one of them. Carry on

slavery was not the main thrust of the war. period. The main thrust was economics. Many people try to make slavery the main thrust of the war and well that just is not true.

fair.

but slavery was part of the economics.
ohioboy
hunter

Postby Indaswamp » Sun Nov 03, 2013 10:47 am

ohioboy wrote:
Indaswamp wrote:

fair.

Yes, but slavery was a part of the economics of both the north and the south. The North bought cotton from the south knowing full and well that it was picked by slaves.
The Cajun 7 Course Meal; 1 lb. of boudin and a six pack of Abita beer.

Save the Marsh, Eat a Nutria!

Indaswamp
Forum Moderator

Postby vincentpa » Sun Nov 03, 2013 11:59 am

blackduckdog2 wrote:
vincentpa wrote:

Even the post about teaching colored folk that Cleopatra was black because its too complicated to teach her that she actually was of Macedonian decent?

Well, I gotta admit I missed that part (it's a long thread) Macedonian doesn't seem particularly complicated, though

It's not. The point went over OHboy's head.

Sent from my iPhone 5, which sucks my cojones. Don't buy one.
In a free society, it is not the obligation of the citizen to prove to the government that he is a good person. It is the obligation of the government to prove to the rest of the citizenry that the citizen is a bad person, with probable cause.
vincentpa
hunter

Postby vincentpa » Sun Nov 03, 2013 12:01 pm

macdaddy wrote:
ohioboy wrote:
clampdaddy wrote:
ohioboy wrote:
clampdaddy wrote:If the subject is to deep for an 8 year old then they should wait until the students are old enough to understand, not teach "history" that is convenient.

as my post pointed out, what if that is never for some folks? you do realize there are a lot of not so smart people out there?

CD, what age do think could handle the following:
Civics: Democratic skills and attitudes; relationships among rights, responsibilities, and democratic ideas; organizations and leaders help the community; effects of personal choices.

i pick civics because it is my area (history).

Honestly, it was my favorite subject in school so I don't know if that would skew the useable info for your question. We had a great teacher and that really helped too. I would say that the 7th grade was about when I was ready to start getting into the real meat and potatoes of history and government.

that is for the first 9 weeks of second grade in my system. the problem is that if we wait, we run out of time, and by the time they get to me in 9th grade, i am shocked at the stuff they know and dont know. they are forced early on to grasp issues and ideas that i have problems with and are not agreed upon by certain groups. my point is that i know we are all very passionate about certain areas of history/math/science/literature but we can not teach it all to the point of clarity that we of the CI would like.

so when someone says civil war=slavery, dont be shocked. or when you ask the average joe what newtons 2nd law of gravity is (did i spell his name right?), they might not know. unless you are an expert in that area, you probably have limited knowledge. and THAT is what some people on the CI forum have trouble grasping.

back to grading, yes on a saturday night. :fingerhead:

And I will be grading mine while watching the Steelers lose.

What so many on this thread don't know is that ohioboy & I have to follow a curriculum. 9 times out of 10 that curriculum is based on textbooks. Can't find a stated fact in the text? Well then, it ought not be stated! If a textbook says nothing about the high import tariffs on Southern cotton, and moreover how New England textilers benefitted, then the topic is outside of the curriculum.

I learned that Cleo was a Macedonian in high school (back when there was no "curriculum"). Then in college I learned that she was a Ptolemy; her greatX5 grandpa was one of Alexander's generals.

Then why in so many inner city schools is it taught that she was black?

In a free society, it is not the obligation of the citizen to prove to the government that he is a good person. It is the obligation of the government to prove to the rest of the citizenry that the citizen is a bad person, with probable cause.
vincentpa
hunter

Postby ohioboy » Sun Nov 03, 2013 12:13 pm

vincentpa wrote:
blackduckdog2 wrote:
vincentpa wrote:

Even the post about teaching colored folk that Cleopatra was black because its too complicated to teach her that she actually was of Macedonian decent?

Well, I gotta admit I missed that part (it's a long thread) Macedonian doesn't seem particularly complicated, though

well then fill me in. and please tell me where it is taught that way, and show me proof. not to much to ask.
ohioboy
hunter

Postby vincentpa » Sun Nov 03, 2013 12:16 pm

blackduckdog2 wrote:
cartervj wrote:http://www.newenglishreview.org/DL_Adams/Saul_Alinsky_and_the_Rise_of_Amorality_in_American_Politics/

Alinsky and his method negate and reject morality and ethics. The denial of history is an important component of the denial of ethics and morality. Alinsky writes in the dedication to Lucifer that history cannot be known.

“…Who is to know where mythology leaves off and history begins – or which is which…”

Without a knowable historical record there can be no learning from past events, and no trust in previous knowledge. The result of the denial of history is the denial of learning, because no existing knowledge can be trusted. Denial of the capability of people to attain knowledge and understanding from existing sources of information is a component of nihilism. This leaves the future open to radicals and de-constructionists like Alinsky who have made a definitive break with the past.

The institutions of society, the old institutions upon which society and morality are built, are therefore illegitimate and are to be brought down. This distrust in the idea of knowledge itself is a totalitarian, anti-intellectual concept.

Alinsky’s worldview is built then on new knowledge only and experience as the old cannot be known or trusted. This shattering of old orders is completely revolutionary and destructive as the past is therefore inherently unworthy because it cannot be trusted (myth and history are the same). The result of the rejection of the past and of knowledge can best be seen in Pol Pot’s Cambodia where knowledge and wisdom and those who possessed such things were destroyed to make way for the revolutionary Utopia of the Khmer Rouge.

Beginning on the day in 1975 when his guerrilla army marched silently into the capital, Phnom Penh, Pol Pot emptied the cities, pulled families apart, abolished religion and closed schools. Everyone was ordered to work, even children. The Khmer Rouge outlawed money and closed all markets. Doctors were killed, as were most people with skills and education that threatened the regime. (New York Times)

The rejection of morality and ethics and the embrace of total pragmatism to achieve the goal of power is characteristic of the “radical” Lucifer so respected by Alinsky. It is not important to Alinsky that Lucifer is the embodiment of the idea of evil and opposition to good; what matters is that Alinsky sees Lucifer as effective; the trains always run on time when Satan runs the show. Effectiveness and success are divorced from issues of morality and ethics; success is its own morality for Alinsky and his followers.
Morality and ethics have no value for the "radical" who wants to overturn the institutions of society and save the world. Alinsky was a Utopian dreamer who turned his formidable intellect to de-construction and removed morality from the equation for operational purposes. There can be no place for morality and ethics when the world must be transformed to a Utopia – for Alinsky and his followers this purpose is superior even to any "supreme being" and the morality and ethics which may have originated from such a being.

In fact, this rejection of accepted morality means that anything goes; any "action" is acceptable if it destroys or undermines the "status quo" and brings “change.” This is radical anti-stability for the sake of Utopianism.

rulesforradicals_dedication_3.jpg

Here's a somewhat different spiritual take on the matter, vj……..at the time of the Civil War, slavery as an institution was beginning to be seen for the evil that we would all eventually come to understand it as. Compared with much of the civilized world, we were behind the curve for a whole lot of reasons (and yeah, here I'll give you economics as chief among them. We were committed, especially in the south) But in very much the same way as an alcoholic knows that eventually his disease is gonna do him in, but cannot admit it to himself, we knew we would have get beyond slavery if we were going to move forward as a legitimate and civilized culture.
We know these things long before we can actually admit them to ourselves. We know these things even farther before we can muster the strength to do anything about them, and the interim period is one of moral confusion and spiritual angst. It isn't a matter of merely lacking the strength of one's convictions, it's more an issue of growing into an awareness of just what those convictions are going to be.
When individuals are in this state of spiritual confusion, it's really common for them to rail against any sort of change (just think of all the conversion stories, like Saul to Paul, where the soul was mired in moral destitution and rebellion right up until the time he gets religion) and depending on the scope and grip of the problem, they become extremely dangerous to themselves and those around them. It's a common story among addicts' families, a sort of raging against the light, although even that only happens in the final stages because the act of seeing the light (and being willing to see it, perhaps more poignantly) is such a long and gradual process.
These are not my ideas, actually, and I'm trying to present them as coherently as I can, but since the priest who presented them to me over a whole lot of Irish in a Southie bar is no longer among us (RIP Father Tom), I have to work from memory, which is, as you might guess, a little cloudy.
Anyway, Father Tom's historical expertise was in the colonial era and especially King Philip's War (which embraced, in its own circumscribed way, a level of cultural iniquity unseen in any of the European wars that then served as a reference point) But he would have qualified by most of your standards as a CW buff, I think. And ever since I heard him expound on the matter, I've never been able to see that conflict against the backdrop of any other issue besides slavery. Which is not to say I don't see, and appreciate how well articulated are the ideas and causes and factors that others are throwing out in this thread. But I see them as raisins in the pudding, not the pudding itself

I agree with everything you wrote here (and it's very insightful) except your final conclusion. There needn't have been a war to fulfill slavery's destiny in this country.

vincentpa
hunter

Postby ohioboy » Sun Nov 03, 2013 12:16 pm

Indaswamp wrote:
ohioboy wrote:
Indaswamp wrote:

fair.

Yes, but slavery was a part of the economics of both the north and the south. The North bought cotton from the south knowing full and well that it was picked by slaves.

very true.

my shoes are likely made by some little kid, but i still buy them. does not mean i support sweatshops, or does it?
ohioboy
hunter

Postby vincentpa » Sun Nov 03, 2013 12:22 pm

ohioboy wrote:
vincentpa wrote:
blackduckdog2 wrote:
vincentpa wrote:

well then fill me in. and please tell me where it is taught that way, and show me proof. not to much to ask.

It wad taught that way in city schools in Pittsburgh and other cities in the 90's among other historical inaccuracies. It was one of the liberal ideas that teaching historical inaccuracies was acceptable as a means to pride in self esteem in minority students. You do the research. I'm sure you can find articles of consternation and outright hostility when it was discovered this was the current practice in schools. I'm sure it was promulgated through Columbia university where so many of the foolish programs are born.

vincentpa
hunter

Postby vincentpa » Sun Nov 03, 2013 12:22 pm

ohioboy wrote:
Indaswamp wrote:
ohioboy wrote:
Indaswamp wrote:

fair.

very true.

my shoes are likely made by some little kid, but i still buy them. does not mean i support sweatshops, or does it?

That is very doubtful.

vincentpa
hunter

Postby slowshooter » Sun Nov 03, 2013 12:43 pm

Bwhaahaaaaa!!!!

When your economy is wholly based on Slavery you can church it up how you like - and then use the words slave and economy interchangeably to save face. It even helps keep those memories of Great Uncle Cleebus whipping some 14 year old and engaging in miscegenation with a 12 year old slave under wraps. :lol3:

The rest of the world understands the reluctance of the South admitting that they left the Union based on the idea that they could set up a Union of their own that extended the lifetime of a Slave-based economy... Even if those in the South don't understand it themselves.

Dodging responsibility is a hallmark of the conquered. The South brought the war on themselves because the landed gentry convinced the average idiot on the street that the North was going to take over and take the Slaves. So they left the Union and guess what... The North preserved the Union because the South tried to leave with their Slaves. So the rich lost their lands, the Slave were freed, the Union was preserved and the South now claims it was an "economic" war.

Notice how the word "Slave" works it's way into every aspect of the conflict from providing a reason to instigate the war, providing moral leadership and then providing a result that many recall? That's because it's something you may be unfamiliar with - which is the truth. :lol3:

It's called the war of "Northern Aggression" in the South when it should be called "The War Started by our Traitorous and Moronic Ancestors that tried to Sunder the Union because They Didn't Want to Give up their Slaves".

Economy my ***! LOL!

Carry on. I'll be over here laughing my can off. :lol3: :lol3: :lol3:
All this for a bowl of borscht.
slowshooter
hunter

Postby vincentpa » Sun Nov 03, 2013 12:53 pm

slowshooter wrote:Bwhaahaaaaa!!!!

When your economy is wholly based on Slavery you can church it up how you like - and then use the words slave and economy interchangeably to save face. It even helps keep those memories of Great Uncle Cleebus whipping some 14 year old and engaging in miscegenation with a 12 year old slave under wraps. :lol3:

The rest of the world understands the reluctance of the South admitting that they left the Union based on the idea that they could set up a Union of their own that extended the lifetime of a Slave-based economy... Even if those in the South don't understand it themselves.

Dodging responsibility is a hallmark of the conquered. The South brought the war on themselves because the landed gentry convinced the average idiot on the street that the North was going to take over and take the Slaves. So they left the Union and guess what... The North preserved the Union because the South tried to leave with their Slaves. So the rich lost their lands, the Slave were freed, the Union was preserved and the South now claims it was an "economic" war.

Notice how the word "Slave" works it's way into every aspect of the conflict from providing a reason to instigate the war, providing moral leadership and then providing a result that many recall? That's because it's something you may be unfamiliar with - which is the truth. :lol3:

It's called the war of "Northern Aggression" in the South when it should be called "The War Started by our Traitorous and Moronic Ancestors that tried to Sunder the Union because They Didn't Want to Give up their Slaves".

Economy my ***! LOL!

Carry on. I'll be over here laughing my can off. :lol3: :lol3: :lol3:

You make their argument that the war was over economics and then you mock it?

vincentpa
hunter

Postby slowshooter » Sun Nov 03, 2013 12:57 pm

No I mock you.
:lol3:
slowshooter
hunter

Postby ohioboy » Sun Nov 03, 2013 1:29 pm

vincentpa wrote:
ohioboy wrote:
vincentpa wrote:
blackduckdog2 wrote:
vincentpa wrote:

It wad taught that way in city schools in Pittsburgh and other cities in the 90's among other historical inaccuracies. It was one of the liberal ideas that teaching historical inaccuracies was acceptable as a means to pride in self esteem in minority students. You do the research. I'm sure you can find articles of consternation and outright hostility when it was discovered this was the current practice in schools. I'm sure it was promulgated through Columbia university where so many of the foolish programs are born.

i did look, and just looked again. could not find anything. you made the claim-please back it up.

and WAS taught i think is the key here.
ohioboy
hunter

Postby ohioboy » Sun Nov 03, 2013 1:35 pm

i'll bite. Vincent, you said "teaching historical inaccuracies was acceptable as a means to pride in self esteem in minority students." what else was taught that was inaccurate? again, if it is that big of a deal i am sure you could find something to prove you are correct.
ohioboy
hunter

Postby slowshooter » Sun Nov 03, 2013 1:48 pm

LOL!

A historical "fact" is wrong? That definitely proves the Civil war had nothing to do with Slaves. Ha haaa!!!!!

Confirmation bias much?

:lol3: :lol3:
slowshooter
hunter

Postby macdaddy » Sun Nov 03, 2013 1:49 pm

slowshooter wrote:No I mock you.

Once again (as usual) - wrong.

You pick at an old wound, get folks excited, then insult them. What the bolshies used to do in poli sci class at old DU in the '80s; "baiting." Knowing all along that you have no argument. Simply bring up an old wound.

I have one, slow. Me Gaelic ancestors were brutalized by the Romans. They were even - gasp! enslaved!! So, as per your "reasoning" I must reject the culture of those who inherited the Roman Empire. I must spit on grandpa's grave (Spaniard) and hate my Italian extended family. No more Italian - style seafood!! No more praying in Latin!!

Thank you slow!! It's a new day for me!! I've seen the light! Come get 'em ATFE! 90% taxation!!! I will feel my Whitey guilt!! I'm free! Slow - God (or whatever) bless you!! :bow: :bow: :bow: :lol3: :lol3: :lol3:
I'm the guy your Mother Goose warned you about.
macdaddy
hunter

Postby vincentpa » Sun Nov 03, 2013 2:00 pm

ohioboy wrote:
vincentpa wrote:
ohioboy wrote:
vincentpa wrote:
blackduckdog2 wrote:
vincentpa wrote:

i did look, and just looked again. could not find anything. you made the claim-please back it up.

That's funny. I just did a quick google search and had many links come up. I've been using my phone. Copying links is difficult. I'm sure you can manage to come up with a simple search string that provide theses links.

vincentpa
hunter

Postby clampdaddy » Sun Nov 03, 2013 2:08 pm

ohioboy wrote:i'll bite. Vincent, you said "teaching historical inaccuracies was acceptable as a means to pride in self esteem in minority students." what else was taught that was inaccurate? again, if it is that big of a deal i am sure you could find something to prove you are correct.

Pictures of black Santa Claus? I can't imagine "Claus" being a very popular name within the black community. :lol3:
clampdaddy
hunter

Postby slowshooter » Sun Nov 03, 2013 2:17 pm

macdaddy wrote:
slowshooter wrote:No I mock you.

Once again (as usual) - wrong.

You pick at an old wound, get folks excited, then insult them. What the bolshies used to do in poli sci class at old DU in the '80s; "baiting." Knowing all along that you have no argument. Simply bring up an old wound.

Old wound? You must be a lot older than you look. I don't remember anyone here claiming to have fought for the Rich Men of the South.

I have one, slow. Me Gaelic ancestors were brutalized by the Romans. They were even - gasp! enslaved!! So, as per your "reasoning" I must reject the culture of those who inherited the Roman Empire. I must spit on grandpa's grave (Spaniard) and hate my Italian extended family. No more Italian - style seafood!! No more praying in Latin!!

If you want to carry around the pain and agony of your ancestors past. That's okay by me. :lol3: You go!

But, I give you props for not hiding in a miasma of BS with 3 inch visibility to protect your pride.
You don't seem to be dodging the facts to keep your head held high.

On the other hand, until the South can admit that their States bear responsibility for the Civil War, because keeping slaves meant more to them than staying in the Union, not much is going to change down there.

They have engaged in a widely adopted bit of artifice for generations... In doing so they prove every day they will believe damn near anything as long as it's framed the same way. And so, they do.

It's one thing to believe that no matter what you did, no matter how traitorous, the blood of your enemy never stained your hands. Quite another when result of your actions covers you in your own son's blood and you cry out "it's not my fault".

The South needs to cop to their own lying, move on, and get in step with the rest of the Nation. Until then they'll be prone to the same populist demagogues that drove them to war over a hundred years ago. Believe one lie you tell yourself - and you'll believe any lie that's convenient.

Thank you slow!! It's a new day for me!! I've seen the light! Come get 'em ATFE! 90% taxation!!! I will feel my Whitey guilt!! I'm free! Slow - God (or whatever) bless you!! :bow: :bow: :bow: :lol3: :lol3: :lol3:

Nah, some in the South never be free from the chains they have wrapped around themselves to protect their pride.
slowshooter
hunter

Postby slowshooter » Sun Nov 03, 2013 2:19 pm

clampdaddy wrote:
ohioboy wrote:i'll bite. Vincent, you said "teaching historical inaccuracies was acceptable as a means to pride in self esteem in minority students." what else was taught that was inaccurate? again, if it is that big of a deal i am sure you could find something to prove you are correct.

Pictures of black Santa Claus? I can't imagine "Claus" being a very popular name within the black community. :lol3:

I can't imagine most white churches have a little brown Semitic Jesus hanging from a cross up on the Altar.

Don't you know that he was white with green eyes and long flowing brown hair? :lol3: :lol3:
slowshooter
hunter

Postby possumfoot » Sun Nov 03, 2013 3:22 pm

slowshooter wrote:LOL!

A historical "fact" is wrong? That definitely proves the Civil war had nothing to do with Slaves. Ha haaa!!!!!

Confirmation bias much?

:lol3: :lol3:

the slaves only had 1 relation to the start of the war.. and it was not the slaves themselves.. it was the cotton they picked.. thats it.. most who fought never owned slaves.. and slow, the met on the street and convinced to fight.. lol.. you really have no grasp of reality.. present or past..

the north was using the government to force a monopoly upon the south..

the south revolted because the Gov in essance told them they could only sell their cotton inside the us.. the tariff was only on RAW cotton.. so, it was sold to a northern mill, which could simply offer pennies on the dollar value, mill it, then export it and take both the growers share and the millers share of the profit.. and blacks were not the only ones that worked the cotton..

that is my problem with schools.. its not that facts are left out, its that total inaccuracies are being taught.. if not outright intentional lies..
WTN10 wrote:He was funny like a Pomeranian getting kicked over a fence.

pgquackstacker wrote:I actually started bringing a gun with me on dates, so I bring the girl's father out to my car and tell him if he tries to cock-block me I'll kill him.
possumfoot
hunter

Postby clampdaddy » Sun Nov 03, 2013 4:01 pm

slowshooter wrote:
clampdaddy wrote:

I can't imagine most white churches have a little brown Semitic Jesus hanging from a cross up on the Altar.

Don't you know that he was white with green eyes and long flowing brown hair? :lol3: :lol3:

Well duh! God was his dad.........:wink: :lol3:
clampdaddy
hunter

Postby ohioboy » Sun Nov 03, 2013 4:12 pm

clampdaddy wrote:

where is that taught?
ohioboy
hunter

Postby ohioboy » Sun Nov 03, 2013 4:14 pm

vincentpa wrote:
ohioboy wrote:
vincentpa wrote:
ohioboy wrote:
vincentpa wrote:
blackduckdog2 wrote:
vincentpa wrote:

That's funny. I just did a quick google search and had many links come up. I've been using my phone. Copying links is difficult. I'm sure you can manage to come up with a simple search string that provide theses links.

well what words did you use. you can surely post that. and i have plenty of time-post the links later.
ohioboy
hunter

PreviousNext

Return to Controversial Issues Forum