Dog Loyalty

A forum not related to waterfowl for discussing the more controversial and hot topic issues in our world from immigration, politics, the war, etc..

Moderators: Smackaduck, MM

Dog Loyalty

Postby blackduckdog2 » Fri Oct 25, 2013 5:44 pm

My dog's five. Three out of his first five duck seasons, he's cut a pad just before the opener, and I ended up missing a week. This time it's even worse, because my vet got all high-powered super-surgeon and stitched up a flap that I think should have just been sliced off and let the pad heal up as a scab.
Anyhow, my buddy offered me his chocolate to hunt with and she's one seriously high-powered bitch who has no trouble working for me (or anyone else who shoots a bird)
But I'm not gonna do it........the prospect of loading the truck with all the gear and watching my dog getting all jacked up only to be told "Sorry pal, you ain't on the list" or worse, bringing him out to the blind with the chocolate and giving her all the retrieves while he keeps his foot dry is just something I'm not willing to do anymore. Ten years ago, with my last dog, yeah, I probably would have done it.
Guess I'm getting soft
"We have met the enemy, and he is us."
Walt Kelly, via Slow's avatar. Look it up
blackduckdog2
hunter

Re: Dog Loyalty

Postby clampdaddy » Fri Oct 25, 2013 6:13 pm

Believe it or not, I've never had a bird dog. I'm what my uncle refers to as a "blind tramp". I hunt with different people all the time and most all of them have dogs. I could never leave a dog at home because I was invited somewhere were a second dog was not welcome. I don't blame you BDD2. If I did have a dog there is no way I could take another.....but I could damn well load my gear up the night before, sneak off in the morning and fetch my own birds. :lol3:
clampdaddy
hunter

Postby cartervj » Fri Oct 25, 2013 6:17 pm

When I lost my favorite dog years ago, I actually quit duck hunting hard for a few years. A friend gave me an offshoot of him and got me going again. I understand fully. :thumbsup:
“Nothing makes me more certain of the victory of our ideas than our success in the universities” – Adolf H, 1930
cartervj
hunter

Postby beretta24 » Fri Oct 25, 2013 6:21 pm

That sucks man...I can not entirely relate as I have never had a situation where my pup wasn't ready to go. I haven't had one of my ownfor a few years, but I know the bond. The pup I had growing up was always ready. She was always there and did everything I asked of her and then some. I have hunted over a lot of dogs, but never one with that passion. I'll admit that I am more than biased though.
beretta24
State Moderator

Postby blackduckdog2 » Fri Oct 25, 2013 6:44 pm

clampdaddy wrote:Believe it or not, I've never had a bird dog. I'm what my uncle refers to as a "blind tramp". I hunt with different people all the time and most all of them have dogs. I could never leave a dog at home because I was invited somewhere were a second dog was not welcome. I don't blame you BDD2. If I did have a dog there is no way I could take another.....but I could damn well load my gear up the night before, sneak off in the morning and fetch my own birds. :lol3:

I live in a pretty small house.......I'd have to slip the pup a mickey to get all the gear stashed in the truck without him knowing. Hell, I think he knows when the UPS guy's got a package from Cabelas! :lol3:
blackduckdog2
hunter

Postby blackduckdog2 » Fri Oct 25, 2013 6:47 pm

cartervj wrote:When I lost my favorite dog years ago, I actually quit duck hunting hard for a few years. A friend gave me an offshoot of him and got me going again. I understand fully. :thumbsup:

I can totally see that, VJ. In fact, when this dog is done, I may ditch the Benelli for my Canon (God knows I'd hit more that way :lol3: )
Hey, I'm actually serious about that, and if it happens, I'm gonna be asking invites to come along as hunt videographer. The only reason I'm not doing it already is because I'm afraid the dog'd rip my throat out
blackduckdog2
hunter

Postby blackduckdog2 » Fri Oct 25, 2013 6:48 pm

beretta24 wrote:That sucks man...I can not entirely relate as I have never had a situation where my pup wasn't ready to go. I haven't had one of my ownfor a few years, but I know the bond. The pup I had growing up was always ready. She was always there and did everything I asked of her and then some. I have hunted over a lot of dogs, but never one with that passion. I'll admit that I am more than biased though.

We all got that special "one", don't we?
blackduckdog2
hunter

Postby cartervj » Fri Oct 25, 2013 7:16 pm

blackduckdog2 wrote:
cartervj wrote:When I lost my favorite dog years ago, I actually quit duck hunting hard for a few years. A friend gave me an offshoot of him and got me going again. I understand fully. :thumbsup:

I can totally see that, VJ. In fact, when this dog is done, I may ditch the Benelli for my Canon (God knows I'd hit more that way :lol3: )
Hey, I'm actually serious about that, and if it happens, I'm gonna be asking invites to come along as hunt videographer. The only reason I'm not doing it already is because I'm afraid the dog'd rip my throat out

when those pups wanna go it's hard to say no

nothing wrong with shooting video or pics :thumbsup:
“Nothing makes me more certain of the victory of our ideas than our success in the universities” – Adolf H, 1930
cartervj
hunter

Postby assateague » Fri Oct 25, 2013 7:35 pm

I'm on my first duck dog ever, and am already feeling bad about leaving him home this season, but he just won't be quite old enough. We go everywhere together now, and whenever I leave the house without him, he's crushed. Gonna be tough when I start rolling out at 4 for the hunt and he has to stay.
WOLVERINES

Give a man a fish and he eats for a day. Let a man vote to give himself a fish and he eats until society collapses.
assateague
Emu hunter extraordinaire

Postby vincentpa » Fri Oct 25, 2013 7:37 pm

assateague wrote:I'm on my first duck dog ever, and am already feeling bad about leaving him home this season, but he just won't be quite old enough. We go everywhere together now, and whenever I leave the house without him, he's crushed. Gonna be tough when I start rolling out at 4 for the hunt and he has to stay.

Don't feel too bad. I mean how many ducks is he going to miss fetching this year? 3, 4 tops?
In a free society, it is not the obligation of the citizen to prove to the government that he is a good person. It is the obligation of the government to prove to the rest of the citizenry that the citizen is a bad person, with probable cause.
vincentpa
hunter

Postby blackduckdog2 » Fri Oct 25, 2013 7:40 pm

assateague wrote:I'm on my first duck dog ever, and am already feeling bad about leaving him home this season, but he just won't be quite old enough. We go everywhere together now, and whenever I leave the house without him, he's crushed. Gonna be tough when I start rolling out at 4 for the hunt and he has to stay.

I thought you'd gotten a Drahthaar or something like that?
blackduckdog2
hunter

Postby blackduckdog2 » Fri Oct 25, 2013 7:46 pm

vincentpa wrote:

Don't feel too bad. I mean how many ducks is he going to miss fetching this year? 3, 4 tops?

hmmm... with VP it's really hard to tell exactly how bad you're being insulted, if at all. Now that COULD mean I only bag 3-4 ducks a year and frankly my shooting sucks these days so I ought not take umbrage. But it could also refer to the fact that I'd likely only bag 3-4 ducks during the dog's down time, in which case it's more of a "buck-up-boyo" sorta missive. Scanning and parsing :huh: :huh: :huh:
blackduckdog2
hunter

Postby assateague » Sat Oct 26, 2013 4:02 am

blackduckdog2 wrote:

A WPG, Dutch.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1382781723.388720.jpg

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1382781751.088869.jpg
WOLVERINES

Give a man a fish and he eats for a day. Let a man vote to give himself a fish and he eats until society collapses.
assateague

Postby assateague » Sat Oct 26, 2013 4:04 am

And this one's for Vincent.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1382781880.761243.jpg
WOLVERINES

assateague

Postby AKPirate » Sat Oct 26, 2013 8:44 am

assateague wrote:And this one's for Vincent.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1382781880.761243.jpg

:lol3: :lol3: :lol3:
AKPirate
hunter

Postby blackduckdog2 » Sat Oct 26, 2013 9:02 am

Vp, you got a dog? I've never heard you say...........I hunt mine out of a layout, although these Aquapods are a little more built for it than your rig, but I'm sure you could pull it off. You ain't lived 'til you've had the experience of dropping a greenhead and the dog about takes your head off launching from his blind tucked away just aft :eek: :eek:
blackduckdog2
hunter

Postby Glimmerjim » Sat Oct 26, 2013 7:17 pm

Yep. I went through the same thing Carter. Took me two years to get another dog and get back into it. I had some tough guilt issues to deal with. She was about ten and had developed a breathing problem when working hard in hot weather. It's called laryngeal paralysis. She was still still as healthy and strong as a horse otherwise, though. I decided to take her in for a very expensive surgery to correct it and ended up losing her due to crappy vet work as far as I am concerned. Felt, and still do at times, that I was responsible and she could have had a few more good years. It's a bitch to live with still.
Glimmerjim
hunter

Postby Indaswamp » Sun Oct 27, 2013 1:50 am

blackduckdog2 wrote:My dog's five. Three out of his first five duck seasons, he's cut a pad just before the opener, and I ended up missing a week. This time it's even worse, because my vet got all high-powered super-surgeon and stitched up a flap that I think should have just been sliced off and let the pad heal up as a scab.
Anyhow, my buddy offered me his chocolate to hunt with and she's one seriously high-powered bitch who has no trouble working for me (or anyone else who shoots a bird)
But I'm not gonna do it........the prospect of loading the truck with all the gear and watching my dog getting all jacked up only to be told "Sorry pal, you ain't on the list" or worse, bringing him out to the blind with the chocolate and giving her all the retrieves while he keeps his foot dry is just something I'm not willing to do anymore. Ten years ago, with my last dog, yeah, I probably would have done it.
Guess I'm getting soft

You are soft BDD2!!!

I own 2 dogs and hunt them one at a time. Well, the old 12 year old yellow is a camp dog now, but when he did hunt, I'd call the dog out that was to be in the blind that morning, point into the boat and say kennel, then I would feed the dog staying at camp. Dog that went to the blind got fed upon return to the camp. They knew the drill. I'd alternate dogs daily. There was no fuss, no barking, no whining...they knew the drill. the same will be when I get another puppy, which will be in the very near future.
The Cajun 7 Course Meal; 1 lb. of boudin and a six pack of Abita beer.

Save the Marsh, Eat a Nutria!

Indaswamp
Forum Moderator

Postby Indaswamp » Sun Oct 27, 2013 2:05 am

My old 12 year old yellow dog is going deaf. To compensate for that, I trained him to stop, turn and sit looking at me at a distance using the vibrate mode on his e-collar. continuous is stop and sit, pulse is here command. Once he's looking at me, I can handle him.
I'm excitedly looking forward to another trip to Lubbock, Texas this season for canada geese. It's been 5 years since I've been and I'll be bringing my old yellow for what will more than likely be his last hunts. He's still got the heart, just not the legs for it. But in a harvested peanut field he will be OK. I plan on taking a lot of pictures while I'm there on me and the dog and I'm sure my buddy will be bringing his GO-PRO camera so I might have some video too.

My black lab is 10 1/2 years old and still going strong, but right now, he has a growth on the back of his back left leg about 1.5 inches above the knee. It's not cancerous because it shrunk with antibiotic treatment. I plan on pulling a core sample with a syringe and bringing it to the LSU Vet school to have a biopsy done so I know what I'm dealing with.

2 old dogs, only one able to hunt where I hunt and not sure how much longer.....time for a puppy.

Indaswamp
Forum Moderator

Postby Indaswamp » Sun Oct 27, 2013 2:05 am

assateague wrote:
blackduckdog2 wrote:

A WPG, Dutch.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1382781723.388720.jpg

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1382781751.088869.jpg

He's getting big AT.

Indaswamp
Forum Moderator

Postby SpinnerMan » Sun Oct 27, 2013 4:09 am

I get it completely. I don't think I could borrow another dog to hunt with, especially right now.

My poor dog has had all kinds of health problems. She's 10 and I just decided to stop her medication that was probably keeping her alive. It had just been beating up her body and she hasn't been feeling well for awhile now and has developed some other problems from the drugs. Now that she's off the drugs, she is definitely feeling much better. Normally if I'm not taking her, she bounces off the walls, but this whole season she hasn't even seemed to notice I was going hunting. Yesterday when I put the camo shirt on, she start bouncing around and going to the garage door because that's where we go out to go hunting. I'm really glad she is feeling better and really sad at the same time.

Time to get dress and go. I definitely miss hunting with my pup. I just hope she gets healed up enough that we get out a couple more times this season.

I have great memories of the last hunt with the dog I had as a kid and when it was over I knew it was her last :sad:
A politician thinks of the next election; a statesman of the next generation. A politician looks for the success of his party; a statesman for that of the country. The statesman wished to steer, while the politician was satisfied to drift.
SpinnerMan
hunter

Postby beretta24 » Sun Oct 27, 2013 6:50 am

SpinnerMan wrote:I get it completely. I don't think I could borrow another dog to hunt with, especially right now.

My poor dog has had all kinds of health problems. She's 10 and I just decided to stop her medication that was probably keeping her alive. It had just been beating up her body and she hasn't been feeling well for awhile now and has developed some other problems from the drugs. Now that she's off the drugs, she is definitely feeling much better. Normally if I'm not taking her, she bounces off the walls, but this whole season she hasn't even seemed to notice I was going hunting. Yesterday when I put the camo shirt on, she start bouncing around and going to the garage door because that's where we go out to go hunting. I'm really glad she is feeling better and really sad at the same time.

Time to get dress and go. I definitely miss hunting with my pup. I just hope she gets healed up enough that we get out a couple more times this season.

I have great memories of the last hunt with the dog I had as a kid and when it was over I knew it was her last :sad:

The last hunt is a pretty amazing one. Like you said, you just know when it is, and I'm convinced miy pup knew as well. I remember virtually every minute of that hunt. My old lab went out with a bang of a hunt. She worked to perfection as far as her body would take her.
beretta24
State Moderator

Postby cartervj » Sun Oct 27, 2013 6:00 pm

I remember my my favorite's last hunt, he sat in the back of my Amigo and watched as Belle made all the retrieves. He finally laid down in the back as in passing the torch, he never wanted to go hunting again.
cartervj
hunter

Postby vincentpa » Mon Oct 28, 2013 5:50 am

blackduckdog2 wrote:
vincentpa wrote:

hmmm... with VP it's really hard to tell exactly how bad you're being insulted, if at all. Now that COULD mean I only bag 3-4 ducks a year and frankly my shooting sucks these days so I ought not take umbrage. But it could also refer to the fact that I'd likely only bag 3-4 ducks during the dog's down time, in which case it's more of a "buck-up-boyo" sorta missive. Scanning and parsing :huh: :huh: :huh:

:tongue: :lol3: :lol3:

That was meant for AT. Just pulling his leg. I actually forgot I made that post.
In a free society, it is not the obligation of the citizen to prove to the government that he is a good person. It is the obligation of the government to prove to the rest of the citizenry that the citizen is a bad person, with probable cause.
vincentpa
hunter

Postby vincentpa » Mon Oct 28, 2013 6:00 am

blackduckdog2 wrote:Vp, you got a dog? I've never heard you say...........I hunt mine out of a layout, although these Aquapods are a little more built for it than your rig, but I'm sure you could pull it off. You ain't lived 'til you've had the experience of dropping a greenhead and the dog about takes your head off launching from his blind tucked away just aft :eek: :eek:

I don't have a dog. My wife is extremely allergic to everything under the sun, including dogs. We even had to get rid of the cat. As a child, we always had two dogs, one for hunting and one house pet. The hunting dog was usually a beagle that we kept outside, much to the chagrin of our neighbors. But hey, that's not city living if you're not pissing somebody off. I've hunted over some very good rabbit dogs and bird dogs and really miss those days. So much so that, I've looked into hypo-allergenic dogs and think I've found the breed. The pudelpointer looks like a good fit. They have a great temperament, are hypo-allergenic, ugly, great hunters and not overly bred making them less susceptible to health problems. Our house is small right now and the girls are still little for those bigger bruising dogs. After the girls a little older and we finally move into a bigger house, I will consider getting one.
vincentpa
hunter

Next

Return to Controversial Issues Forum