Dog Loyalty

A forum not related to waterfowl for discussing the more controversial and hot topic issues in our world from immigration, politics, the war, etc..

Moderators: Smackaduck, MM

Re: Dog Loyalty

Postby blackduckdog2 » Mon Oct 28, 2013 8:31 am

SpinnerMan wrote:I get it completely. I don't think I could borrow another dog to hunt with, especially right now.

My poor dog has had all kinds of health problems. She's 10 and I just decided to stop her medication that was probably keeping her alive. It had just been beating up her body and she hasn't been feeling well for awhile now and has developed some other problems from the drugs. Now that she's off the drugs, she is definitely feeling much better. Normally if I'm not taking her, she bounces off the walls, but this whole season she hasn't even seemed to notice I was going hunting. Yesterday when I put the camo shirt on, she start bouncing around and going to the garage door because that's where we go out to go hunting. I'm really glad she is feeling better and really sad at the same time.

Time to get dress and go. I definitely miss hunting with my pup. I just hope she gets healed up enough that we get out a couple more times this season.

I have great memories of the last hunt with the dog I had as a kid and when it was over I knew it was her last :sad:

Yeah, I was actually thinking of your dog's problems (it was last year you missed the opener with the knee repair, right?) when I was typing that
"We have met the enemy, and he is us."
Walt Kelly, via Slow's avatar. Look it up
blackduckdog2
hunter

Postby blackduckdog2 » Mon Oct 28, 2013 8:37 am

vincentpa wrote:
blackduckdog2 wrote:Vp, you got a dog? I've never heard you say...........I hunt mine out of a layout, although these Aquapods are a little more built for it than your rig, but I'm sure you could pull it off. You ain't lived 'til you've had the experience of dropping a greenhead and the dog about takes your head off launching from his blind tucked away just aft :eek: :eek:

I don't have a dog. My wife is extremely allergic to everything under the sun, including dogs. We even had to get rid of the cat. As a child, we always had two dogs, one for hunting and one house pet. The hunting dog was usually a beagle that we kept outside, much to the chagrin of our neighbors. But hey, that's not city living if you're not pissing somebody off. I've hunted over some very good rabbit dogs and bird dogs and really miss those days. So much so that, I've looked into hypo-allergenic dogs and think I've found the breed. The pudelpointer looks like a good fit. They have a great temperament, are hypo-allergenic, ugly, great hunters and not overly bred making them less susceptible to health problems. Our house is small right now and the girls are still little for those bigger bruising dogs. After the girls a little older and we finally move into a bigger house, I will consider getting one.

My Uncle Shorty (he was 6'7") hunted beagles and kept them in a kennel outside his house in Woonsockett. Not too popular with the neighbor-folks by any means, especially when they'd go into "Great Escape" mode. One of my earliest memories is sitting on a woodpile with my mom while the beagles rounded a cottontail back into shooting range, and being terrified that she was gonna miss and hit the dogs.
Look up the etymology of poodle and you'll see you're making the right choice :thumbsup:
blackduckdog2
hunter

Postby SpinnerMan » Mon Oct 28, 2013 10:40 am

blackduckdog2 wrote:Yeah, I was actually thinking of your dog's problems (it was last year you missed the opener with the knee repair, right?) when I was typing that

No last year she was actually in good enough shape to hunt the opener. She hunted opening day and got a puncture wound on her paw. So she had to sit out the second day, which ended up putting me on dog detail when we sailed a goose. I ended up taking a bad fall and dislocated my elbow which put me out for about a month. When I came back, it was too cold. Her hair was pretty thin because of the drugs and there was no way I was risking it.

I forget why she missed the year before. I think it was her knee. She tore both ACLs over the years. The problem she has now is her immune system being out of whack and the problems with being on steroids and immune suppressants for well over two years. They have just beat up her body and we could never get her off of them without her platelets crashing.

She looks like she is healing up since stopping the drugs. Maybe 2 weeks I can get her out if things stay as they are. She had some infections that were not healing in addition to her just clearly being very sick. I'm not optimistic, but I do hope we get a few more trips to the blind. She definitely feels a lot better right now and that's good to see and why I made the decision I made.
A politician thinks of the next election; a statesman of the next generation. A politician looks for the success of his party; a statesman for that of the country. The statesman wished to steer, while the politician was satisfied to drift.
SpinnerMan
hunter

Postby cartervj » Mon Oct 28, 2013 5:46 pm

blackduckdog2 wrote:
vincentpa wrote:
blackduckdog2 wrote:Vp, you got a dog? I've never heard you say...........I hunt mine out of a layout, although these Aquapods are a little more built for it than your rig, but I'm sure you could pull it off. You ain't lived 'til you've had the experience of dropping a greenhead and the dog about takes your head off launching from his blind tucked away just aft :eek: :eek:

I don't have a dog. My wife is extremely allergic to everything under the sun, including dogs. We even had to get rid of the cat. As a child, we always had two dogs, one for hunting and one house pet. The hunting dog was usually a beagle that we kept outside, much to the chagrin of our neighbors. But hey, that's not city living if you're not pissing somebody off. I've hunted over some very good rabbit dogs and bird dogs and really miss those days. So much so that, I've looked into hypo-allergenic dogs and think I've found the breed. The pudelpointer looks like a good fit. They have a great temperament, are hypo-allergenic, ugly, great hunters and not overly bred making them less susceptible to health problems. Our house is small right now and the girls are still little for those bigger bruising dogs. After the girls a little older and we finally move into a bigger house, I will consider getting one.

My Uncle Shorty (he was 6'7") hunted beagles and kept them in a kennel outside his house in Woonsockett. Not too popular with the neighbor-folks by any means, especially when they'd go into "Great Escape" mode. One of my earliest memories is sitting on a woodpile with my mom while the beagles rounded a cottontail back into shooting range, and being terrified that she was gonna miss and hit the dogs.
Look up the etymology of poodle and you'll see you're making the right choice :thumbsup:

Hoot Gibson hunted a white standard poodle in AR for snows and blues.

Speaking of beagles, I was bush hogging the CRP on my land the other day, bet I seen 100 plus rabbits come out of there.
“Nothing makes me more certain of the victory of our ideas than our success in the universities” – Adolf H, 1930
cartervj
hunter

Postby Indaswamp » Mon Oct 28, 2013 9:42 pm

cartervj wrote:
blackduckdog2 wrote:
vincentpa wrote:

Hoot Gibson hunted a white standard poodle in AR for snows and blues.

Speaking of beagles, I was bush hogging the CRP on my land the other day, bet I seen 100 plus rabbits come out of there.

that's a south Louisiana rabbit hunt if I ever saw one....
The Cajun 7 Course Meal; 1 lb. of boudin and a six pack of Abita beer.

Save the Marsh, Eat a Nutria!

Never fart in your waders, it'll give you WORTS.
Indaswamp
Forum Moderator

Postby clampdaddy » Mon Oct 28, 2013 10:34 pm

blackduckdog2 wrote: .......Not too popular with the neighbor-folks by any means, especially when they'd go into "Great Escape" mode..... :

:lol3: When we moved into town, the wife and I had a pair of Basset hounds. They were so exited by all of the new sights and smells that every "walk" was more like the case scene from Cool Hand Luke. :lol3: As much as I loved the sound of my hounds we had to get rid of one of them because we just couldn't break him of barking. He was a really sweet tempered dog but I honestly think that he was so dumb he could not understand why he was being shocked or blasted in the face with citronella spray after every bark.
clampdaddy
hunter

Postby blackduckdog2 » Mon Oct 28, 2013 10:42 pm

clampdaddy wrote:
blackduckdog2 wrote: .......Not too popular with the neighbor-folks by any means, especially when they'd go into "Great Escape" mode..... :

:lol3: When we moved into town, the wife and I had a pair of Basset hounds. They were so exited by all of the new sights and smells that every "walk" was more like the case scene from Cool Hand Luke. :lol3: As much as I loved the sound of my hounds we had to get rid of one of them because we just couldn't break him of barking. He was a really sweet tempered dog but I honestly think that he was so dumb he could not understand why he was being shocked or blasted in the face with citronella spray after every bark.

I could rest so much easier in this city if only I had a brace of hounds (any hounds, Bassets would be great, but if I had my choice I'd take Blueticks) to sing me to sleep
blackduckdog2
hunter

Postby Indaswamp » Mon Oct 28, 2013 10:44 pm

blackduckdog2 wrote:
clampdaddy wrote:

I could rest so much easier in this city if only I had a brace of hounds (any hounds, Bassets would be great, but if I had my choice I'd take Blueticks) to sing me to sleep

...and BDD2 scores minor points with Assa for liking coon hounds....
The Cajun 7 Course Meal; 1 lb. of boudin and a six pack of Abita beer.

Save the Marsh, Eat a Nutria!

Never fart in your waders, it'll give you WORTS.
Indaswamp
Forum Moderator

Postby clampdaddy » Mon Oct 28, 2013 10:51 pm

blackduckdog2 wrote:
clampdaddy wrote:

It's a shame to see how many people let their Bassets turn into fat, docile, oversized weiner dogs with floppy ears. My boys were powerful machines......to dumb to serve any real purpose, but impressive physical specimens none the less. :lol3:
clampdaddy
hunter

Postby blackduckdog2 » Mon Oct 28, 2013 10:56 pm

clampdaddy wrote:
blackduckdog2 wrote:
clampdaddy wrote:

It's a shame to see how many people let their Bassets turn into fat, docile, oversized weiner dogs with floppy ears. My boys were powerful machines......to dumb to serve any real purpose, but impressive physical specimens none the less. :lol3:

Running cottontails doesn't take much brainpower...did you ever give 'em a shot? (is there any truth to the idea I've read that bassets were bred as short legged beagles so they wouldn't outrun the hunters?)
blackduckdog2
hunter

Postby MODuckkiller » Tue Oct 29, 2013 1:01 am

blackduckdog2 wrote:
clampdaddy wrote:
blackduckdog2 wrote:
clampdaddy wrote:

Running cottontails doesn't take much brainpower...did you ever give 'em a shot? (is there any truth to the idea I've read that bassets were bred as short legged beagles so they wouldn't outrun the hunters?)

My family has some National Championship, Blue-Ribbon-Winning rabbit dogs, and I'm here to tell ya that as far as just hunting and chasing wascly wabbits is concerned, this last post is pretty spot on. It's in the blood, and that's about it.
If you want some championship dogs, that's a different story; but I don't think there are too many people who care to train competition rabbit dogs, that's a dying breed. :sad:
MIZ
-MODuckkiller
MODuckkiller
hunter

Postby clampdaddy » Tue Oct 29, 2013 7:42 am

blackduckdog2 wrote: Running cottontails doesn't take much brainpower...did you ever give 'em a shot? (is there any truth to the idea I've read that bassets were bred as short legged beagles so they wouldn't outrun the hunters?)

I tried but could never keep them on task. The two personalities were so different that I couldn't get them to work together. One would want to go one way, one wanted to go the other.

My dog with the best nose (Gus) was all nose. Once his nose was to the ground he was uncontrollable. He didn't care what he was chasing or what was in his way, he was going for it and all other senses were turned off. Actually had a close call where he crossed a busy road without looking up when he almost got creamed by a milk truck. Then you'd never know what he was going to come up with at the end of the trail. Most of the time it was a pheasant.

My other dog (Benny) thought he was a blue tick. When we were in the field, if a bird flew into the canopy of a tree he would majestically bay up on the trunk like he had accomplished something great.

A real dog man probably could've made something out of them but I was used to the quick whit of the boarder collies and queenslands that we had on the ranch when I was a kid.

As far as the short legs go, I have read that bassets were bred that way (along with crazy grizzly bear like claws) for burrowing and pulling badgers out of their holes. Whoulda thunk it? :huh:
clampdaddy
hunter

Previous

Return to Controversial Issues Forum