I Really, Really Want To Laugh....

A forum not related to waterfowl for discussing the more controversial and hot topic issues in our world from immigration, politics, the war, etc..

Moderators: Smackaduck, MM

I Really, Really Want To Laugh....

Postby Indaswamp » Sun Oct 27, 2013 11:31 pm

insurance gets pricier for middle class as Obamacare rolls out
Fullerton resident Jennifer Harris thought she had a great deal, paying $98 a month for an individual plan through Health Net Inc. She got a rude surprise this month when the company said it would cancel her policy at the end of this year. Her current plan does not conform with the new federal rules, which require more generous levels of coverage.

Now Harris, a self-employed lawyer, must shop for replacement insurance. The cheapest plan she has found will cost her $238 a month. She and her husband don't qualify for federal premium subsidies because they earn too much money, about $80,000 a year combined.

"It doesn't seem right to make the middle class pay so much more in order to give health insurance to everybody else," said Harris, who is three months pregnant. "This increase is simply not affordable."

But middle-income consumers face an estimated 30% rate increase, on average, in California due to several factors tied to the healthcare law.

Some may elect to go without coverage if they feel prices are too high. Penalties for opting out are very small initially. Defections could cause rates to skyrocket if a diverse mix of people don't sign up for health insurance.

DUH! Ya think!! All I can say is I saw this coming and told everyone on this forum!

"She said, 'I was all for Obamacare until I found out I was paying for it,'" Kehaly said.

I really, really want to laugh! :hammer: :hammer: :hammer: :hammer: :hammer: :hammer:
The Cajun 7 Course Meal; 1 lb. of boudin and a six pack of Abita beer.

Save the Marsh, Eat a Nutria!

Indaswamp
Forum Moderator

Re: I Really, Really Want To Laugh....

Postby Indaswamp » Sun Oct 27, 2013 11:37 pm

All these cancellations were prompted by a requirement from Covered California, the state's new insurance exchange. The state didn't want to give insurance companies the opportunity to hold on to the healthiest patients for up to a year, keeping them out of the larger risk pool that will influence future rates.

:hammer: :hammer: :hammer: :hammer: :hammer:
They will not sign up enough healthy people to azz rape with pricing to pay for the ones with pre-existing conditions.

Indaswamp
Forum Moderator

Postby Indaswamp » Sun Oct 27, 2013 11:44 pm

"All we've been hearing the last three years is if you like your policy you can keep it," said Deborah Cavallaro, a real estate agent in Westchester. "I'm infuriated because I was lied to."

You were lied to Lady, and it was intentional. If he would have told you the truth, it never would have passed.

Indaswamp
Forum Moderator

Postby wanapasaki » Sun Oct 27, 2013 11:46 pm

Yeah that was bound to happen. Seems like the middle class working americans generally get the crap end of the deal. It's bound to fail. I think everyone in the US should just claim max allowances on their w2's. Could you imagine the IRS trying to pull that audit? :lol3:
Give a man a duck... Feed him for a day... Teach him to fowl hunt... Feed him for a lifetime...Teach him in your spot... Learn to hunt a different spot....
wanapasaki
hunter

Postby Indaswamp » Sun Oct 27, 2013 11:48 pm

Hey Spinnerman, this quote is for you:
The federal law also adjusts how rates are set by age, a change that gives older consumers a break and shifts more costs to younger people.

Told ya. It is a straight up transfer of wealth.....what a fustercluck this is!
"It has the effect of benefiting people in their 50s and 60s and shifting costs to people in their 20s and 30s," said Patrick Johnston, president of the California Assn. of Health Plans.

Indaswamp
Forum Moderator

Postby Indaswamp » Sun Oct 27, 2013 11:52 pm

I really, really want to laugh....
Javier Lopez, 38 and a self-employed aerospace engineer in Huntington Beach, pays about $750 a month for an Anthem Blue Cross plan for his family of four. His premiums may rise nearly 20% next year for a new policy because his current plan is being phased out.

Lopez says he's willing to absorb that one-year jump if it means the government can rein in future rate hikes.

"I'm hoping with this reform," Lopez said, "we won't see big increases year after year."

What. An. Idiot! :hammer: :hammer: :hammer:

Indaswamp
Forum Moderator

Postby Indaswamp » Mon Oct 28, 2013 12:04 am

Indaswamp
Forum Moderator

Postby wanapasaki » Mon Oct 28, 2013 12:14 am

Give a man a duck... Feed him for a day... Teach him to fowl hunt... Feed him for a lifetime...Teach him in your spot... Learn to hunt a different spot....
wanapasaki
hunter

Postby Indaswamp » Mon Oct 28, 2013 12:31 am

More Obama lies...
Recently, the disastrous rollout of Obamacare has provided fertile fields for more lying.

** “If you like your current insurance plan, you can keep it. Period.”
** ”If you like your current doctor, you can keep that doctor.”
** ”Your premiums will go down an average of $2500 per year.”
** ”The cost of this national healthcare program will be less than $1 trillion.”
** ”Obamacare would not cover illegal aliens.”
** ”Obamacare would not cover abortions.”

These are not just lies. These are damn lies that the Administration knew would be such, but still foisted them on the American public to divert attention away from the truth about Obamacare and the impact it would have upon us all.

Joe Wilson was right when he said “You lie.”

Indaswamp
Forum Moderator

Postby Rat Creek » Mon Oct 28, 2013 9:22 am

So, are you saying it is an economic truth of life that if you cover people with pre-existing conditions, outlaw low cost catastrophic plans and shift the expense of the older generation to the younger generation that costs will rise? :eek: Is that what you are saying? :rolleyes:

But BHO said that was not the case. That his mere existence meant that economic principles could be pushed to the side and that somehow everyone would be covered for three dollars a week? :bow: And our assurances of this future were that Pelosi and Reid agreed?

And there are millions of useful idiots that believed this crap. :bow: :bow: :bow: We really are an economically ignorant country. :no:
Rat Creek
Rat Creek
hunter

Postby Andy W » Mon Oct 28, 2013 12:48 pm

Andy W
hunter

Postby blackduckdog2 » Mon Oct 28, 2013 1:40 pm

Andy W wrote:Image

I'm keeping mine. In fact, so far I haven't personally heard of a single person who's losing theirs. Jus' sayin' since I know how much weight anecdotal evidence is respected around here
"We have met the enemy, and he is us."
Walt Kelly, via Slow's avatar. Look it up
blackduckdog2
hunter

Postby assateague » Mon Oct 28, 2013 1:52 pm

You must not get out much. I have three friends who work for Home Depot who are losing theirs, my boss asked me if I would be willing to kick in some for mine or if I wanted to cancel it (I had had mine provided at no cost by my employer, but since it went up almost 30%, he asked the question), and my neighbor's is going up $2,485 a year (yes, I saw the notice) so he is forced to cancel it as soon as he finds another policy/provider. All of these are the direct result of the increased coverages/incidences which are mandated by the bill. If I don't want my insurance to cover pregnancy, psychiatric counselling, addiction treatment, or abortions, there's really no reason why it should be forced upon me. But of course the government is great at forcing people to do things.
WOLVERINES

Give a man a fish and he eats for a day. Let a man vote to give himself a fish and he eats until society collapses.
assateague
Emu hunter extraordinaire

Postby vincentpa » Mon Oct 28, 2013 2:17 pm

I will see what mine will be next month. I still remember the letter from my old company telling me of the $500 increase in my premiums because of Barry care and that was the next period of enrollment after the law passed. Companies have been preparing over the last few years. I'm just hoping to not take it on the chin again this year.

Sent from my iPhone 5, which sucks my cojones. Don't buy one.
In a free society, it is not the obligation of the citizen to prove to the government that he is a good person. It is the obligation of the government to prove to the rest of the citizenry that the citizen is a bad person, with probable cause.
vincentpa
hunter

Postby Rat Creek » Mon Oct 28, 2013 2:31 pm

blackduckdog2 wrote:In fact, so far I haven't personally heard of a single person who's losing theirs.

I am calling 100% bologna on that statement. :lol3:

Companies are pulling out of states completely. Sending cancellation notices and if you get to "keep" your policy, it comes with a giant increase. Likely, you are a government worker, so the people in your circles are being subsidized by the private citizen workers. You are impacted, but others are paying the bill. All others are being impacted personally. :rolleyes:

My sister, a real estate professional, has lost her insurance. She is waiting for the website to work to see if there is any hope there. She is expecting a huge increase which I think she will see. :no:
Rat Creek
Rat Creek
hunter

Postby Botiz630 » Mon Oct 28, 2013 2:57 pm

vincentpa wrote:I will see what mine will be next month. I still remember the letter from my old company telling me of the $500 increase in my premiums because of Barry care and that was the next period of enrollment after the law passed. Companies have been preparing over the last few years. I'm just hoping to not take it on the chin again this year.

Sent from my iPhone 5, which sucks my cojones. Don't buy one.

My premium doubled.
B Squad Captain
If do right, no can defense
Botiz630
Forum Moderator

Postby cartervj » Mon Oct 28, 2013 5:41 pm

A good friend has completely lost his. It was a cadillac plan for Veterinarians. I posted a link on another thread.

I still have my BCBS thru the state and my wife has hers. Our rep said it's gonna get bumpy, they sent us a letter asking if we'll drop our state BCBS they'll kick in $150 per pay period ( every 2 weeks) for us to drop our coverage. My wife is involved in the decision making at her workplace as far as insurance, they're waiting on legal advice to see what they can offer.

On a side note, the mental health care system they are in is shifting to managed care. Basically each patient will have less services rendered cause reimbursement rates are much lower under the new system.
“Nothing makes me more certain of the victory of our ideas than our success in the universities” – Adolf H, 1930
cartervj
hunter

Postby assateague » Mon Oct 28, 2013 5:42 pm

blackduckdog2 wrote:In fact, so far I haven't personally heard of a single person who's losing theirs.

You really, REALLY haven't looked very hard. Is 300,000 enough, or would you care for more? I'm quite certain with just a little digging about a half million could be found.

Florida Blue canceling 300,000 individual policies

Florida Blue is cutting 300,000 individual insurance policies because they don’t measure up to the guidelines set forth by the Affordable Care Act, Kaiser Health News reports.

The Affordable Care Act mandates that all health insurance coverage packages provide 10 categories of essential health benefits. Because some plans offered by all insurers did not include all of these new services, they will no longer be available. Approximately 300,000 current Florida Blue members are enrolled in plans that will not meet these new benefit requirements.

http://www.bizjournals.com/jacksonville/news/2013/10/22/florida-blue-canceling-300000.html
WOLVERINES

Give a man a fish and he eats for a day. Let a man vote to give himself a fish and he eats until society collapses.
assateague

Postby cartervj » Mon Oct 28, 2013 5:43 pm

Hey, Californication has more than that loosing their coverage :lol3:
“Nothing makes me more certain of the victory of our ideas than our success in the universities” – Adolf H, 1930
cartervj
hunter

Postby Indaswamp » Mon Oct 28, 2013 5:45 pm

cartervj wrote:Hey, Californication has more than that loosing their coverage :lol3:

900,000 losing coverage in Cali....

Indaswamp
Forum Moderator

Postby cartervj » Mon Oct 28, 2013 5:49 pm

reminds me of King Nothing by Metallica

careful what you wish you just might get it

cartervj
hunter

Postby Andy W » Tue Oct 29, 2013 6:07 am

blackduckdog2 wrote: In fact, so far I haven't personally heard of a single person who's losing theirs.

Andy W
hunter

Postby SpinnerMan » Tue Oct 29, 2013 6:48 am

Indaswamp wrote:Hey Spinnerman, this quote is for you:
The federal law also adjusts how rates are set by age, a change that gives older consumers a break and shifts more costs to younger people.

Told ya. It is a straight up transfer of wealth.....what a fustercluck this is!
"It has the effect of benefiting people in their 50s and 60s and shifting costs to people in their 20s and 30s," said Patrick Johnston, president of the California Assn. of Health Plans.

I knew this. Depending on income, there can also be huge penalties for making more money as they take away the subsidies as you make more money. For an individual person, you have to know their age, income, and other things to know the net effect on the rate they pay relative to the fair market rate or at least pre-Obamacare rate given that there has not been anything but a massively manipulated market for health insurance for generations. We will never have a rational health insurance market until people can tell the difference between health insurance and health care. They can tell the difference between car care and care insurance. Same with house care and house insurance. They would never pay the exorbitant cost of paying a third party for care instead of your insurance, except when it comes to health care and that is because they have no flipping clue what they are really paying, but only what they pay directly and are ignorant of the indirect part. It's the same ignorance of taxes that allow the population not to get the pitchforks out despite paying around 40% of everything they earn to the government in some form. It's all so complicated that you can't even ferret out what an individual really pays or the benefits they received. So that allows people to say, hey I know this couple that got a good deal and I don't know any of those millions that the news is reporting on, so it must be good because I so desperately need it to be good for my self-esteem.

wanapasaki wrote:Seems like the middle class working americans generally get the crap end of the deal.
They will always bear the burden of government. The rich are rich and there are not enough of them and they have the flexibility to adjust their life that comes with being rich. It's one of the long list of reasons that being rich is an advantage. The poor simply don't have anything so they can't bear the financial burden. Granted they bear the burden of crime, failed education, and other things, and do bear a heavy burden in terms of quality of life, but financially, it all goes to the people in the middle. Collectively they have the bulk of the money and there is nothing they can do to avoid taking the hit, nothing except slide into statistical poverty and live off other middle class Americans that haven't yet responded to the financial incentives or may be on the upper end of middle class and might be able to get rich enough to run and hide, but that's getting harder and harder as more people slide into statistical poverty and live off the taxes of their fellow Americans as opposed to the fruits of their labor.
A politician thinks of the next election; a statesman of the next generation. A politician looks for the success of his party; a statesman for that of the country. The statesman wished to steer, while the politician was satisfied to drift.
SpinnerMan
hunter

Postby wanapasaki » Tue Oct 29, 2013 6:54 am

If I slip off the middle class stat, I'm going rogue and growing the beard, crapping in the woods, making my own beef jerky and eating animals out of season :lol3:
wanapasaki
hunter

Postby assateague » Tue Oct 29, 2013 7:42 am

You say that like its a bad thing. I've been doing it for years. Hell, I'm doing it now.
WOLVERINES

assateague

Next

Return to Controversial Issues Forum