Why are hunters bashing "Duck Dynasty hunters"

A forum not related to waterfowl for discussing the more controversial and hot topic issues in our world from immigration, politics, the war, etc..

Moderators: Smackaduck, MM

Re: Why are hunters bashing

Postby SpinnerMan » Sun Nov 10, 2013 4:45 pm

clampdaddy wrote:
jaegerfisherman wrote: ....More and more people want to shoot a boone and crocket and could care less about the meat. Horn hunting more than going after meat to eat....

I wish this were the case in where I hunt. Every shlub in the hills is ready to dirt the first barely legal buck they see.

You can't eat the horns, which is why I have never passed on a legal deer.

In PA they screwed about 100,000 people per year out of a deer so that a few people can get a booner.

The math is simple. Number of deer born = number of deer that die over the course of a year to keep the population constant. You have to reduce the population by 4 or more doe to make room for a 2.5, 3.5, 4.5, and eventually the 5.5 year old shooter and that means a hell of a lot less fawns and a hell of a lot less deer harvested per year.

Duck hunters argue for shooting less hens so there are more young drakes to kill. But deer hunters that want to do the same are slubs :rolleyes:

If it's your land, do what you want, but on public land in most states it's clear what the public wants. More meat in the freezer and not more bone on the wall.
A politician thinks of the next election; a statesman of the next generation. A politician looks for the success of his party; a statesman for that of the country. The statesman wished to steer, while the politician was satisfied to drift.
SpinnerMan
hunter

Postby clampdaddy » Sun Nov 10, 2013 5:02 pm

SpinnerMan wrote:
clampdaddy wrote:
jaegerfisherman wrote: ....More and more people want to shoot a boone and crocket and could care less about the meat. Horn hunting more than going after meat to eat....

I wish this were the case in where I hunt. Every shlub in the hills is ready to dirt the first barely legal buck they see.

In PA they screwed about 100,000 people per year out of a deer so that a few people can get a booner.

The math is simple. Number of deer born = number of deer that die over the course of a year to keep the population constant. You have to reduce the population by 4 or more doe to make room for a 2.5, 3.5, 4.5, and eventually the 5.5 year old shooter and that means a hell of a lot less fawns and a hell of a lot less deer harvested per year.

Duck hunters argue for shooting less hens so there are more young drakes to kill. But deer hunters that want to do the same are slubs :rolleyes:

If it's your land, do what you want, but on public land in most states it's clear what the public wants. More meat in the freezer and not more bone on the wall.

Your whitetail vs. our blacktail/mule deer = apple's & oranges. Our deer aren't eating themselves out of house and home. I pass on fork horns. Legal bucks in my area are hard to come by so I leave the forkies for young kids and old timers.
clampdaddy
hunter

Postby SpinnerMan » Sun Nov 10, 2013 5:42 pm

clampdaddy wrote:
SpinnerMan wrote:
clampdaddy wrote:

Your whitetail vs. our blacktail/mule deer = apple's & oranges. Our deer aren't eating themselves out of house and home. I pass on fork horns. Legal bucks in my area are hard to come by so I leave the forkies for young kids and old timers.

You still can't eat the horns and as you point out most people don't care about trying to eat them. They just want to get a deer, any deer, and there is nothing wrong with that. Just like there is nothing wrong with you passing if you want. To each his own and the only people that are shlub are those that think otherwise :yes:
A politician thinks of the next election; a statesman of the next generation. A politician looks for the success of his party; a statesman for that of the country. The statesman wished to steer, while the politician was satisfied to drift.
SpinnerMan
hunter

Re: Why are hunters bashing "Duck Dynasty hunters"

Postby Drakenstien » Sun Nov 10, 2013 6:05 pm

Hunting for me is a challenge and when I see a doe every time I go out, it doesn't satisfy me by killing does. I do however to control population and get meat but getting that buck that no one sees and has taken me 3 years of hard work to get a shot, now that's hunting. If you want meat ,raise deer inside a fence, you will be more successfully.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Drakenstien
hunter

Postby clampdaddy » Sun Nov 10, 2013 6:25 pm

SpinnerMan wrote:
clampdaddy wrote:
SpinnerMan wrote:
clampdaddy wrote:

You still can't eat the horns and as you point out most people don't care about trying to eat them. They just want to get a deer, any deer, and there is nothing wrong with that. Just like there is nothing wrong with you passing if you want. To each his own and the only people that are shlub are those that think otherwise :yes:

If I had to shoot those ugly, stupid, rabbit reproducing like, whitetailed deer like you fellas do, then I probably wouldn't care either. An animal as majestic as a mule deer deserves better than to be shot while it still has crusty milk on its lips :lol3:
clampdaddy
hunter

Postby ohioboy » Sun Nov 10, 2013 6:32 pm

Drakenstien wrote:Hunting for me is a challenge and when I see a doe every time I go out, it doesn't satisfy me by killing does. I do however to control population and get meat but getting that buck that no one sees and has taken me 3 years of hard work to get a shot, now that's hunting. If you want meat ,raise deer inside a fence, you will be more successfully.

wrong. that is trophy hunting. hunting=meat for my kids.
ohioboy
hunter

Postby thomashamm2 » Sun Nov 10, 2013 7:00 pm

assateague wrote:
thomashamm2 wrote:the difference is experience and know-how. To bring new hunters to the sport (which is a great thing to do) you teach them what to do and how to do it safely. You would be with them to make sure they know what they are doing, following the law, and are safe. THe new crowd of duck dunasty hunters care more about the "fad" of duck hunting. THey dont really have people to show them (which is a shame), so they just go out without knowing what to do. They oftentime ruin others hunts without knowing, skybust, and many times just make stupid decisions that no true duck hunter would do. Bringing new hunters into duck hunting is important, but they need to learn how to duck hunt before just sitting out in the middle of the lake in a fishing boat skybusting at ducks.

So if it doesn't follow your preconceived "script" of how it should go, then they just get written off and badmouthed, or do you do something to change it?

And the phrase "true duck hunter" may as well read "I'm full of myself".

This is because the robertsons make it seem easy to duck hunt. It is definetly not their fault for the actions of new duck hunters. "true duck hunters" is absolutely what i meant to say. I am no means full of myself. Its just that they really arent duck hunters i they dont know what theyre doing. If they dont have a mentor to show them then they can read and research how to duck hunt. Most of them dont. Lasy year hunting the rock river in Wi, when we were in the boat driving back to the dock i saw an obviously new duck hunter. He has 6 decoys next to a tree that fell in the water. He didnt have a blind, he was just sitting on the bank with his shotgun and dog on his side. He was obviously a DD hunter. He has godwins face paint on. He would probably be a great duck hunter is he had a mentor but he obvoulsy doesnt know that much about duck hunting. I dont worry about it too much tho because eventually they will either learn or quit from the hard work . :beer:
thomashamm2
hunter

Postby thomashamm2 » Sun Nov 10, 2013 7:05 pm

dakotashooter2 wrote:I do agree that what it is attracting is a large number of "fad" hunters. That is not really helping hunter recruitment because in a few years they will tire of the sport and move on to the next one or the hunting will get tough and they will bail out.... Meanwile any negative impact they have left will linger on for years. I think most of us also know you don't adequately learn hunting from TV shows and DVDs... There are many aspects of the sport that are best learned by mentoring and/or experience. Without that mentoring you often end up with a "pack mentality" and hunters running amuck. Those of us that have been in the sport know everyone has to pay their dues but todays crop of hunters want instant satisfaction. A prime example is the popularity of the 3 1/2" 12 ga shell/gun.....It allows them a gain in success without having to develop their hunting or shooting skills. They often plan in so much detail that they are unable to adapt as the need arises. They don't have a lot of original thoughts when it comes to settup or strategy nor do they seem to have patience or tollerance. I've noticed that when things don't go right it's always someone elses fault. In reality I feel sorry for them more than anything. They will never put the time (years) into the sport or have the guidance they need to really appreciate it for the rest of their lives.

this is basically what i meant for my first post. Its a shame but they just dont put the time into the sport. When the new hunters dont shoot ducks they get aggravated and then make stupid decisions to try to get some.
thomashamm2
hunter

Postby clampdaddy » Sun Nov 10, 2013 7:38 pm

ohioboy wrote:
Drakenstien wrote:Hunting for me is a challenge and when I see a doe every time I go out, it doesn't satisfy me by killing does. I do however to control population and get meat but getting that buck that no one sees and has taken me 3 years of hard work to get a shot, now that's hunting. If you want meat ,raise deer inside a fence, you will be more successfully.

For your kids sake, I hope you aren't a varmint/predator hunter. :lol3:
clampdaddy
hunter

Postby Drakenstien » Sun Nov 10, 2013 7:44 pm

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk[/quote]
wrong. that is trophy hunting. hunting=meat for my kids.[/quote]

The definition of hunting is

1. The activity or sport of pursuing game.

I am pursuing game. You sir, are gathering. when you can shoot a doe off your back porch under a feeder that is not pursuing game. I love meat myself, that makes it much better of an achievement, but if I want meat the way you speak off I would rather go to Walmart, raise my own cows/deer, or go to the local butcher to get some venison. It's a lot cheaper that way. But, I will say that I eat, someone else eats, or used in traps everything I kill. I also enjoy the meat of small game as much as a sport. Especially dove

Drakenstien
hunter

Postby jaegerfisherman » Sun Nov 10, 2013 8:19 pm

I was just sharing my experiences. In my part of wa where i hunt its three pt or better so u cant shoot everything. But when u see a legal deer u shoot it because u may not see another one. Some are small horned and some r huge but u work hard to get one. Over the years I realize that a fair amt of hunters are lazy. They bone game out and waste a huge amount of meat. I'm just glad I have lots of public land to hunt in the national forest because i can't afford private ground and lots of private ground u ask for permission is already taken.
jaegerfisherman
hunter

Postby Drakenstien » Sun Nov 10, 2013 8:34 pm

jaegerfisherman wrote:I was just sharing my experiences. In my part of wa where i hunt its three pt or better so u cant shoot everything. But when u see a legal deer u shoot it because u may not see another one. Some are small horned and some r huge but u work hard to get one. Over the years I realize that a fair amt of hunters are lazy. They bone game out and waste a huge amount of meat. I'm just glad I have lots of public land to hunt in the national forest because i can't afford private ground and lots of private ground u ask for permission is already taken.

If you thought I was talking about you I wasn't. I live in south Mississippi and deer hunting is bad here compared to anywhere. And on public land I do hunt meat more than anything because there are so many hunters and so much pressure.( every 3 yards you see a footprint in deep woods) but I like it still because I can get to it during the week, get extra meat, and it's also challenging

Drakenstien
hunter

Postby clampdaddy » Sun Nov 10, 2013 9:05 pm

jaegerfisherman wrote:I was just sharing my experiences. In my part of wa where i hunt its three pt or better so u cant shoot everything. But when u see a legal deer u shoot it because u may not see another one. Some are small horned and some r huge but u work hard to get one. Over the years I realize that a fair amt of hunters are lazy. They bone game out and waste a huge amount of meat. I'm just glad I have lots of public land to hunt in the national forest because i can't afford private ground and lots of private ground u ask for permission is already taken.

How do you guys count the points where you're at? To be legal is it three points total for both horns, three on one side, or a solid 3x3? Down here it just has to have a fork on one side that you can hang a wedding ring on.
clampdaddy
hunter

Postby TomKat » Mon Nov 11, 2013 3:55 am

SpinnerMan wrote:
clampdaddy wrote:

Would it be possible to express your thoughts in this post with a graph or chart Spinner?
TomKat
Dorothy

Postby jaegerfisherman » Mon Nov 11, 2013 4:57 am

Drakentstien, no worries. I don't get riled up over stuff like this. I just like to hear what other peoples experiences are because i've never really hunted any other states other than my home state. Lots of pressure like what your talking about. But still fun with the family even if u don't get anything. Lots of other ways to fill the freezer.

Clampdaddy,where we are it only has to be a three pt on one side. Occasionally u see a buck with a little fork for the third pt or eye guards.
jaegerfisherman
hunter

Postby assateague » Mon Nov 11, 2013 5:37 am

Drakenstien wrote:Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

wrong. that is trophy hunting. hunting=meat for my kids.[/quote]

The definition of hunting is

1. The activity or sport of pursuing game.

I am pursuing game. You sir, are gathering. when you can shoot a doe off your back porch under a feeder that is not pursuing game. I love meat myself, that makes it much better of an achievement, but if I want meat the way you speak off I would rather go to Walmart, raise my own cows/deer, or go to the local butcher to get some venison. It's a lot cheaper that way. But, I will say that I eat, someone else eats, or used in traps everything I kill. I also enjoy the meat of small game as much as a sport. Especially dove

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk[/quote]

Another self-righteous post in here. Fantastic!
WOLVERINES

Give a man a fish and he eats for a day. Let a man vote to give himself a fish and he eats until society collapses.
assateague
Emu hunter extraordinaire

Postby assateague » Mon Nov 11, 2013 5:40 am

thomashamm2 wrote:
assateague wrote:
thomashamm2 wrote:the difference is experience and know-how. To bring new hunters to the sport (which is a great thing to do) you teach them what to do and how to do it safely. You would be with them to make sure they know what they are doing, following the law, and are safe. THe new crowd of duck dunasty hunters care more about the "fad" of duck hunting. THey dont really have people to show them (which is a shame), so they just go out without knowing what to do. They oftentime ruin others hunts without knowing, skybust, and many times just make stupid decisions that no true duck hunter would do. Bringing new hunters into duck hunting is important, but they need to learn how to duck hunt before just sitting out in the middle of the lake in a fishing boat skybusting at ducks.

So if it doesn't follow your preconceived "script" of how it should go, then they just get written off and badmouthed, or do you do something to change it?

And the phrase "true duck hunter" may as well read "I'm full of myself".

This is because the robertsons make it seem easy to duck hunt. It is definetly not their fault for the actions of new duck hunters. "true duck hunters" is absolutely what i meant to say. I am no means full of myself. Its just that they really arent duck hunters i they dont know what theyre doing. If they dont have a mentor to show them then they can read and research how to duck hunt. Most of them dont. Lasy year hunting the rock river in Wi, when we were in the boat driving back to the dock i saw an obviously new duck hunter. He has 6 decoys next to a tree that fell in the water. He didnt have a blind, he was just sitting on the bank with his shotgun and dog on his side. He was obviously a DD hunter. He has godwins face paint on. He would probably be a great duck hunter is he had a mentor but he obvoulsy doesnt know that much about duck hunting. I dont worry about it too much tho because eventually they will either learn or quit from the hard work . :beer:

Since you use it as a basis for judging other hunters, I'm sure you can readily quantify your standards for being a "true duck hunter".

I'll even give you a template. Just fill in the blanks. Feel free to add more if necessary.

1._______________
2._______________
3._______________
4._______________
5._______________
WOLVERINES

Give a man a fish and he eats for a day. Let a man vote to give himself a fish and he eats until society collapses.
assateague
Emu hunter extraordinaire

Postby SpinnerMan » Mon Nov 11, 2013 5:52 am

clampdaddy wrote:
SpinnerMan wrote:
clampdaddy wrote:
SpinnerMan wrote:
clampdaddy wrote:

If I had to shoot those ugly, stupid, rabbit reproducing like, whitetailed deer like you fellas do, then I probably wouldn't care either. An animal as majestic as a mule deer deserves better than to be shot while it still has crusty milk on its lips :lol3:

So those "majestic" mule deer buck can't get the job done? All show and no go when the rut comes. And I thought there were lower numbers just because they weren't too bright and much easier to kill.
SpinnerMan
hunter

Postby SpinnerMan » Mon Nov 11, 2013 6:06 am

thomashamm2 wrote:This is because the robertsons make it seem easy to duck hunt. It is definetly not their fault for the actions of new duck hunters. "true duck hunters" is absolutely what i meant to say. I am no means full of myself. Its just that they really arent duck hunters i they dont know what theyre doing. If they dont have a mentor to show them then they can read and research how to duck hunt. Most of them dont. Lasy year hunting the rock river in Wi, when we were in the boat driving back to the dock i saw an obviously new duck hunter. He has 6 decoys next to a tree that fell in the water. He didnt have a blind, he was just sitting on the bank with his shotgun and dog on his side. He was obviously a DD hunter. He has godwins face paint on. He would probably be a great duck hunter is he had a mentor but he obvoulsy doesnt know that much about duck hunting. I dont worry about it too much tho because eventually they will either learn or quit from the hard work . :beer:

You never did anything stupid in the learning process. I learned duck hunting pretty much all on my own. I had no mentor. And this was long before DD. If you wanted to learn to deer hunt, or pheasant hunt, or elk hunt, or whatever and had no mentor, you would not do it yourself and figure it out? Why not? Do you fear looking foolish that badly?

That easily could have been me about 30 years ago. Would he be better off sitting at home? :no: Those early tough times when you are learning still produce great memories even if they don't produce many ducks. This past weekend was pretty good for where I hunt, and if not for the Canada that had a white cap on his head, it would have just blended in with all the other good weekends. A lot more memories from back in the days of struggling to figure it out. I'll never forget that first pair of geese that came into my decoys and all the hard work and failure before that. And I'll never forget that same first pair of geese flying out of my decoys :sad: Sure it would have been nice if I had someone that knew what they were doing to mentor me, but on the other hand, that first pair of decoyed geese would not have been that special nor missing them so heart breaking.
SpinnerMan
hunter

Postby Drakenstien » Mon Nov 11, 2013 8:37 am

Hey, what can I say, I know who I am and what I believe.

Drakenstien
hunter

Postby clampdaddy » Mon Nov 11, 2013 9:06 am

SpinnerMan wrote:So those "majestic" mule deer buck can't get the job done? All show and no go when the rut comes. And I thought there were lower numbers just because they weren't too bright and much easier to kill.

Pigs, rats, and spoonies are excellent breeders too. :wink: Much easier to kill? Nah. We're just better shots. :lol3: It's not your fault. If I got to shoot my deer out from under a feeder, up close, from a tree stand, in hardwood timber or a feed plot, I probably wouldn't practice much past 100 yards either. :lol3:
clampdaddy
hunter

Postby ohioboy » Mon Nov 11, 2013 9:29 am

clampdaddy wrote:
ohioboy wrote:

For your kids sake, I hope you aren't a varmint/predator hunter. :lol3:

ground hog isnt so bad. they do eat grass.
ohioboy
hunter

Postby SpinnerMan » Mon Nov 11, 2013 9:34 am

clampdaddy wrote:
SpinnerMan wrote:So those "majestic" mule deer buck can't get the job done? All show and no go when the rut comes. And I thought there were lower numbers just because they weren't too bright and much easier to kill.

Pigs, rats, and spoonies are excellent breeders too. :wink: Much easier to kill? Nah. We're just better shots. :lol3:

Yet a majestic mule deer buck can't get the job done as well as a pig, rat, or spoonie. :huh:

I still don't like antler restrictions. However, if the average hunter is getting one or more deer, I don't have a big problem with them. It's places like PA where it takes the average hunter 3 years to get a deer that I have a big problem. In PA, there are on the order of 1,000,000 hunters and they kill about 1/3rd that number of deer every year. The best management strategy is harvest nearly all of the 1.5 year old buck and as many doe as necessary to maintain a healthy herd. That's what the vast majority of hunters want. However, in states with much fewer hunters it's different. For example, I believe in GA, there are about a quarter of million hunters in a similarly sized state with a similar total deer harvest. So the average hunter gets more than 1 deer per year. In places like that, imposing antler restrictions, an earn-a-buck program, are not the same. You can better balance the inconsistent preferences within the hunting community and the needs to maintain a health stable population.

But if you have to limit license sales and totally eliminate some people's opportunity to hunt, just so the average antler size increases, I have a huge moral problem with that. That is clearly not managing a public resource for the best interest of the public because it is the public that should get to decide what they value and that is clearly more meat on the table and less bone on the wall.
SpinnerMan
hunter

Postby ohioboy » Mon Nov 11, 2013 9:37 am

clampdaddy wrote:

Pigs, rats, and spoonies are excellent breeders too. :wink: Much easier to kill? Nah. We're just better shots. :lol3: It's not your fault. If I got to shoot my deer out from under a feeder, up close, from a tree stand, in hardwood timber or a feed plot, I probably wouldn't practice much past 100 yards either. :lol3:

100? longest shot i have taken in the last 10 years is 25 yards. most are under 5 yards. do your homework and you will have some success.

mulies might be majestic or whatever, but i like the eastern geography. just different out west. or south. or north.

you want to see something funny, google sika deer. we have them in maryland. they look and sound like a cartoon.
ohioboy
hunter

Postby ohioboy » Mon Nov 11, 2013 9:38 am

TomKat wrote:
SpinnerMan wrote:
clampdaddy wrote:

Would it be possible to express your thoughts in this post with a graph or chart Spinner?

i did laugh at this one. well done.
ohioboy
hunter

PreviousNext

Return to Controversial Issues Forum