Why are hunters bashing "Duck Dynasty hunters"

A forum not related to waterfowl for discussing the more controversial and hot topic issues in our world from immigration, politics, the war, etc..

Moderators: Smackaduck, MM

Re: Why are hunters bashing

Postby API » Sat Nov 16, 2013 7:55 pm

boney fingers wrote:
Slack Tide wrote:I'm joining this late....but back to the topic..
I don't hate the DD guys...I do watch the show when I stumble on it. I'm still waiting to see some duck hunting?? :huh:
But here's what I do hate:

1) The glory their disciples give them for shooting a ton of birds (which you never see on the show) on their own privately managed land. They make it out like these guys are scouring the state, tracking flocks with expert knowledge and decoy placement to be on the X....when in reality, they rotate private fields that are so heavily planted and maintained, they are basically baited...then add fresh water and no competition...really?? They would be out there in blaze orange with flare guns and kill birds with that set up.
2) I hate anything hick or hillbilly...worse yet, I hate when people glorify it or want to be it...Overweight, big beard, poor grammar and ice tea??? That's it? That's what you aspire to?
3) I hate the way they whore themselves out and somehow have been elected to represent us?!?!

You forgot #4

4) When hillbillys make so much money doing something that I can only dream of, that they can afford there own private duck fields, while I have to work everyday to try to afford gas to go hunt public ground.

Yep boney fingers, ya pretty much nailed what I was thinking. Some folks just hate it when others do well. :rolleyes:
It's okay to take your meds with beer!

“People don’t work to pay taxes, people work to get what they can after taxes.” Arthur Laffer
API
hunter

Postby shoveler_shooter » Sat Nov 16, 2013 10:03 pm

clampdaddy wrote:I want to hear the details of the fight with the skybusters.

:biggrin: :ditto:
UmatillaJeff wrote:By his very nature this tends to be a modest man who is loved by woman, children and dogs and well though of in all social circles.
We will call him the 10ga man
shoveler_shooter
hunter

Postby Indaswamp » Sat Nov 16, 2013 10:19 pm

clampdaddy wrote:
jaegerfisherman wrote: ....Not too many people can just go out and purchase land for duck hunting. They should set aside more public land for hunting. The thing that will kill the sport is no areas to hunt, big money for land and leased land being bought up for clubs. In my area land is being bought up more for hunt clubs.

Problem in my area is duck clubs being bought up and turned into closed zones.

deep pocket card carrying PETA members no doubt.....same people that support Ducks Unlimited too....
The Cajun 7 Course Meal; 1 lb. of boudin and a six pack of Abita beer.

Save the Marsh, Eat a Nutria!

Never fart in your waders, it'll give you WORTS.
Indaswamp
Forum Moderator

Postby slowshooter » Sun Nov 17, 2013 3:28 am

Indaswamp wrote:
clampdaddy wrote:
jaegerfisherman wrote: ....Not too many people can just go out and purchase land for duck hunting. They should set aside more public land for hunting. The thing that will kill the sport is no areas to hunt, big money for land and leased land being bought up for clubs. In my area land is being bought up more for hunt clubs.

deep pocket card carrying PETA members no doubt.....same people that support Ducks Unlimited too....

That happens out here a lot. The scions of a few valley greats buy up land and then post it.
All this for a bowl of borscht.
slowshooter
hunter

Postby Botiz630 » Sun Nov 17, 2013 5:21 am

clampdaddy wrote:I want to hear the details of the fight with the skybusters.

This is what I want to hear more about. Who in the world is going to fight a pack of 15 year olds?
I need about tree fiddy.
Botiz630
Forum Moderator

Postby Botiz630 » Sun Nov 17, 2013 5:24 am

Reminds me of this scene.
I need about tree fiddy.
Botiz630
Forum Moderator

Postby macdaddy » Sun Nov 17, 2013 6:39 am

API wrote:
boney fingers wrote:
I don't hate the DD guys...I do watch the show when I stumble on it. I'm still waiting to see some duck hunting?? :huh:

1) The glory their disciples give them for shooting a ton of birds (which you never see on the show) on their own privately managed land. They make it out like these guys are scouring the state, tracking flocks with expert knowledge and decoy placement to be on the X....when in reality, they rotate private fields that are so heavily planted and maintained, they are basically baited...then add fresh water and no competition...really?? They would be out there in blaze orange with flare guns and kill birds with that set up.
2) I hate anything hick or hillbilly...worse yet, I hate when people glorify it or want to be it...Overweight, big beard, poor grammar and ice tea??? That's it? That's what you aspire to?
3) I hate the way they whore themselves out and somehow have been elected to represent us?!?!

You forgot #4

4) When hillbillys make so much money doing something that I can only dream of, that they can afford there own private duck fields, while I have to work everyday to try to afford gas to go hunt public ground.

Yep boney fingers, ya pretty much nailed what I was thinking. Some folks just hate it when others do well. :rolleyes:

I absolutely hate it as well. They are, well, pretentious.
Duck hunting is a sport for gentlemen & the occasional lady - but surely not the "average joe." We all know that it is "Six-pack Joe" who is skybusting over cheap plastic decoys (if any) from his Cabela's johnboat tossed in a fancy pickup.

Those of us born and bred in a polite society rightly should eschew such people. They are ill-bred hicks. They no doubt have never knelt in church; instead listening to a barely literate pastor skwacking about "God - given rights." Sadly so many if them are also Anglo-Saxon (a pox on my dear grandma's people).

Where are the fine Filson clothes?
No one should hunt with a gun any cheaper than $1200.00. I also question the tres déclassé semi-automatic.
Land Rover is the only acceptable vehicle. Trucks are for lower class folk.

Social class and manners in the blind. Nothing less will do.

These dynasty boys should best end the show, enjoy their ill-gotten gains, and do something better suited to the lower classes, like field hunting geese.

:lol3: :lol3: :lol3:
I'm the guy your Mother Goose warned you about.
macdaddy
hunter

Re: Why are hunters bashing "Duck Dynasty hunters"

Postby assateague » Sun Nov 17, 2013 9:17 am

slowshooter wrote:
Indaswamp wrote:
clampdaddy wrote:

That happens out here a lot. The scions of a few valley greats buy up land and then post it.

Here it's the Nature Conservancy, buying up big and small tracts and making them sanctuaries. Pisses me off.
WOLVERINES

Give a man a fish and he eats for a day. Let a man vote to give himself a fish and he eats until society collapses.
assateague
Emu hunter extraordinaire

Postby API » Sun Nov 17, 2013 10:41 am

macdaddy wrote:I absolutely hate it as well. They are, well, pretentious.
Duck hunting is a sport for gentlemen & the occasional lady - but surely not the "average joe." We all know that it is "Six-pack Joe" who is skybusting over cheap plastic decoys (if any) from his Cabela's johnboat tossed in a fancy pickup.

Is it okay to cuss and spit?

Those of us born and bred in a polite society rightly should eschew such people. They are ill-bred hicks. They no doubt have never knelt in church; instead listening to a barely literate pastor skwacking about "God - given rights." Sadly so many if them are also Anglo-Saxon (a pox on my dear grandma's people).

Not only that, those hicks might wear waders to church.

No one should hunt with a gun any cheaper than $1200.00. I also question the tres déclassé semi-automatic.

Gotta admit, I'm keeping my SBE II. :lol3:

Cussing and spitting is not okay?
:eek:

These dynasty boys should best end the show, enjoy their ill-gotten gains, and do something better suited to the lower classes, like field hunting geese.

What would we do without the sky carp? :lol3:
It's okay to take your meds with beer!

“People don’t work to pay taxes, people work to get what they can after taxes.” Arthur Laffer
API
hunter

Postby macdaddy » Sun Nov 17, 2013 12:48 pm

API wrote:
macdaddy wrote:I absolutely hate it as well. They are, well, pretentious.

Is it okay to cuss and spit?

Not only that, those hicks might wear waders to church.

Gotta admit, I'm keeping my SBE II. :lol3:

Cussing and spitting is not okay?
:eek:

What would we do without the sky carp? :lol3:

A scion of the British Isles? Mahvelous!!!

But I too will keep that low class SP10!

API - you really got laughing. :lol3: :lol3:
I'm the guy your Mother Goose warned you about.
macdaddy
hunter

Postby Slack Tide » Sun Nov 17, 2013 5:51 pm

API wrote:
boney fingers wrote:

You forgot #4

You really think that was the spirit behind my post? Hardly..
"I've been left for dead before but I'll still fight on, don't wait up, leave the light on, I'll be home soon"
Chris Smither
Slack Tide
hunter

Postby boney fingers » Sun Nov 17, 2013 7:39 pm

Slack Tide wrote:
API wrote:
boney fingers wrote:

You forgot #4

You really think that was the spirit behind my post? Hardly..

It definitely comes off that way, I thought you made the spirit of the post clear. I would certainly be interested in hearing your real intent.
boney fingers
hunter

Postby Slack Tide » Mon Nov 18, 2013 6:45 am

Well first, lets notice that we are on page 9 of a this thread, so I can't be alone.

I don't begrudge these guys for amassing a fortune and a niche...good for them. My ire is more aimed at the cult that has developed around them where people think that getting face paint and a beard and some DC gear is going to make them a duck hunter.
"I've been left for dead before but I'll still fight on, don't wait up, leave the light on, I'll be home soon"
Chris Smither
Slack Tide
hunter

Re: Why are hunters bashing "Duck Dynasty hunters"

Postby xtrema13 » Mon Nov 18, 2013 6:57 am

JuniorPre 360 wrote:
xtrema13 wrote: .....Because I promise you we put more birds on the ground then you....

THEN if you kill more birds THAN me how come there are 4 hunters and 8 birds? So you kill 2 ducks? GREAT! I shoot 2 at a time out of puddles in my back yard when the snow melts. And are you accompanied by an adult when you hunt? If not, you are breaking the law. If you would have posted just the picture, I would have given you props because those are full colored birds and a good bunch of hunters. But when you call someone out, expect the rest of everyone to fire back. Once you have a job, limited income, and a family, you will hopefully realize that hunting is a lot more THAN just killing birds.

Sent from my PH-2
xtrema13
hunter

Postby SpinnerMan » Mon Nov 18, 2013 7:00 am

Slack Tide wrote:Well first, lets notice that we are on page 9 of a this thread, so I can't be alone.

I don't begrudge these guys for amassing a fortune and a niche...good for them. My ire is more aimed at the cult that has developed around them where people think that getting face paint and a beard and some DC gear is going to make them a duck hunter.

What does it take to be a duck hunter? :huh:

I thought I was hunting ducks and therefore a duck hunter when I was a kid and my dog walked at heal while we sneaked along the shoreline and jumpshot ducks.

What else did I need to do? :huh:

I'm pretty simple. I thought to be a duck hunter, you hunted ducks.

To be a successful duck hunter, you don't even need to kill a duck. You just have to have a good time because it is purely entertainment, so if you are entertained, you must be doing it right.

Now, to be a decent person, you still must respect your fellow hunters, follow the law, respect the birds, etc. I've watched a grand total of about 30 minutes of DD and thought the show was really dumb, but I don't think there is anything they say or do that suggests they are not decent people and the people that imitate them will be decent people. Of course, as we all know there are too many hunters and too many people in general that are too self-centered to have any respect for others. I don't see how DD takes any blame for that. I blame Obama :sarcmark:
A politician thinks of the next election; a statesman of the next generation. A politician looks for the success of his party; a statesman for that of the country. The statesman wished to steer, while the politician was satisfied to drift.
SpinnerMan
hunter

Postby Slack Tide » Mon Nov 18, 2013 9:05 am

SpinnerMan wrote:I thought I was hunting ducks and therefore a duck hunter

So if someone belittled what you do as "just going out and shooting ducks"...you wouldn't correct them at how much more there is (and should be) to it??
If you have been hunting for years...you learned to call, maybe built or restored a few boats...played with carving decoys...enjoy reading duck hunting books etc...
Now you loan a buddy your extra jacket and hat and take him out for the first time and BAM...you are equals? He's the same as you?
Chris Smither
Slack Tide
hunter

Postby JuniorPre 360 » Mon Nov 18, 2013 9:37 am

xtrema13 wrote:
JuniorPre 360 wrote:
xtrema13 wrote: .....Because I promise you we put more birds on the ground then you....

THEN if you kill more birds THAN me how come there are 4 hunters and 8 birds? So you kill 2 ducks? GREAT! I shoot 2 at a time out of puddles in my back yard when the snow melts. And are you accompanied by an adult when you hunt? If not, you are breaking the law. If you would have posted just the picture, I would have given you props because those are full colored birds and a good bunch of hunters. But when you call someone out, expect the rest of everyone to fire back. Once you have a job, limited income, and a family, you will hopefully realize that hunting is a lot more THAN just killing birds.

Sent from my PH-2

I'm confused. Do I post pictures too then? Mine won't have any face paint though. Sorry... Just 2 people and 14 ducks that include an average of 6 species. Deffinately not my point, but deffinately don't put more on the ground than I. Nice shootin though :thumbsup:
A BAD DAY AT THE MARSH BEATS A GOOD DAY AT WORK.
killwoodies101 wrote:your a dudshe bag! You dont own the river your dont own any property around it.. Its just as mush mine and any other tom **** and harry's as it is yours !! get a life share what is yours or stop hunting
JuniorPre 360
hunter

Postby SpinnerMan » Mon Nov 18, 2013 9:50 am

Slack Tide wrote:
SpinnerMan wrote:I thought I was hunting ducks and therefore a duck hunter

So if someone belittled what you do as "just going out and shooting ducks"...you wouldn't correct them at how much more there is (and should be) to it??
If you have been hunting for years...you learned to call, maybe built or restored a few boats...played with carving decoys...enjoy reading duck hunting books etc...
Now you loan a buddy your extra jacket and hat and take him out for the first time and BAM...you are equals? He's the same as you?

Equals :lol3: It's funny you used that word. Who cares if they think they are your equals? Equal at what? Having a good time hunting ducks? Hell, they are probably your superior in that regard. The joy of being a newbie always fades.

Nobody can belittle me if I have self confidence. They can try, but how you feel is on you. And how could I correct them for being entertained wrong? :huh: This is a recreational activity. And beyond having respect for other people, respect for the birds (don't cripple too many, don't waste them, make an effort to recover them, etc.), and respect for the law, which I will correct them, what is their to correct? I might tell them what I enjoy about it and why, but if they want to stand on a refuge boundary and pass shoot, I'll pass (pun intended) unless it's for something I've never got because it doesn't interest me to shoot more of the same that way, but they need no correction if they enjoy it.

Sorry, your way is only the right way for you.
A politician thinks of the next election; a statesman of the next generation. A politician looks for the success of his party; a statesman for that of the country. The statesman wished to steer, while the politician was satisfied to drift.
SpinnerMan
hunter

Postby Slack Tide » Mon Nov 18, 2013 11:16 am

Forget it....it's not that important
Chris Smither
Slack Tide
hunter

Postby Indaswamp » Mon Nov 18, 2013 11:19 am

to get this thread back on track...notice the title "Duck Dynasty hunters". As in it is a foregone conclusion (assumed) that there are more hunters around because of the show.

Indaswamp
Forum Moderator

Postby Slack Tide » Mon Nov 18, 2013 11:35 am

Indaswamp wrote:to get this thread back on track...notice the title "Duck Dynasty hunters". As in it is a foregone conclusion (assumed) that there are more hunters around because of the show.

Yes..thank you...
To that end (and the original post)...
If I played golf, would I want more people into golf to make Tee times longer? Hell no...I for one definitely do NOT want more guys into hunting.
Chris Smither
Slack Tide
hunter

Postby Indaswamp » Mon Nov 18, 2013 11:36 am

Slack Tide wrote:
Indaswamp wrote:to get this thread back on track...notice the title "Duck Dynasty hunters". As in it is a foregone conclusion (assumed) that there are more hunters around because of the show.

Yes..thank you...
To that end (and the original post)...
If I played golf, would I want more people into golf to make Tee times longer? Hell no...I for one definitely do NOT want more guys into hunting.

to your point-how many kids bought golf clubs because of tiger woods? answer-a lot.

Indaswamp
Forum Moderator

Postby SpinnerMan » Mon Nov 18, 2013 1:36 pm

I have not seen it. However, my guess is that there is a large regional variation in the popularity of the show.

Slack Tide wrote:Hell no...I for one definitely do NOT want more guys into hunting.
And PETA agrees 100%. This is very short sighted thinking. I always have and will continue to try and get more people into hunting. Even at my hunting/fishing club that is often very crowded, I ask every new member if they hunt and tell them I'll be happy to show them the ropes if they want to get into it. It's just the right thing to do. There are safety in numbers applies to hunting in a huge way. There are large numbers of people that would like to do nothing less than regulate us out of existence. The answer is to grow our numbers at every opportunity. If DD is doing this, that is awesome. Even if these newbies aren't doing it the right way :sarcmark: Who did when they started anyways? :huh:

I don't begrudge anyone working through the stages of being a hunter. Of course, those of us at an "advanced" stage often looked down upon those at an earlier stage as age apparently causes to forget how we were.

http://www.nodakoutdoors.com/hunter-stages.php
Although I think I go through all these stages in a single season and may oscillate back and forth :huh: Well except the shooter stage, that I don't get. Go break clays if you want to shoot, but when I was young, I definitely went through it and all new hunters start at the beginning with no experience. As the article says "a hunter’s age, role models, and his years of hunting experience affect his ideas of “success” but none of us started with over 30 years of hunting like I know have :eek: Although I pray I am not close to half way and have another 40 or 50 years of getting out and I'll bet if I'm 80 and get an opportunity to hunting something I have never even seen before, I'll be like a kid and regress back to the limiting out stage. At least I hope so :yes:
SpinnerMan
hunter

Postby Indaswamp » Mon Nov 18, 2013 1:39 pm

SpinnerMan wrote:

I have not seen it. However, my guess is that there is a large regional variation in the popularity of the show.

Slack Tide wrote:Hell no...I for one definitely do NOT want more guys into hunting.
And PETA agrees 100%. This is very short sighted thinking. I always have and will continue to try and get more people into hunting. Even at my hunting/fishing club that is often very crowded, I ask every new member if they hunt and tell them I'll be happy to show them the ropes if they want to get into it. It's just the right thing to do. There are safety in numbers applies to hunting in a huge way. There are large numbers of people that would like to do nothing less than regulate us out of existence. The answer is to grow our numbers at every opportunity. If DD is doing this, that is awesome. Even if these newbies aren't doing it the right way :sarcmark: Who did when they started anyways? :huh:

I don't begrudge anyone working through the stages of being a hunter. Of course, those of us at an "advanced" stage often looked down upon those at an earlier stage as age apparently causes to forget how we were.

Although I think I go through all these stages in a single season and may oscillate back and forth :huh: Well except the shooter stage, that I don't get. Go break clays if you want to shoot, but when I was young, I definitely went through it and all new hunters start at the beginning with no experience. As the article says "a hunter’s age, role models, and his years of hunting experience affect his ideas of “success” but none of us started with over 30 years of hunting like I know have :eek: Although I pray I am not close to half way and have another 40 or 50 years of getting out and I'll bet if I'm 80 and get an opportunity to hunting something I have never even seen before, I'll be like a kid and regress back to the limiting out stage. At least I hope so :yes:

I have witnessed it here. just like a dedicated golfer can spot young 'tiger woods' groupies, the young new DD hunters are easy to spot.

Indaswamp
Forum Moderator

Postby SpinnerMan » Mon Nov 18, 2013 1:41 pm

Indaswamp wrote:
SpinnerMan wrote:

I have witnessed it here. just like a dedicated golfer can spot young 'tiger woods' groupies, the young new DD hunters are easy to spot.

And you know they will learn, so you laugh and move on and lead by example. Who cares how they get into the sport? Welcome aboard and good luck :beer:

Or hope they will learn. There are a few that never learn, but most do.
SpinnerMan
hunter

PreviousNext

Return to Controversial Issues Forum