Why are hunters bashing "Duck Dynasty hunters"

A forum not related to waterfowl for discussing the more controversial and hot topic issues in our world from immigration, politics, the war, etc..

Moderators: Smackaduck, MM

Re: Why are hunters bashing

Postby Indaswamp » Mon Nov 18, 2013 1:43 pm

SpinnerMan wrote:
Indaswamp wrote:
SpinnerMan wrote:
Indaswamp wrote:to get this thread back on track...notice the title "Duck Dynasty hunters". As in it is a foregone conclusion (assumed) that there are more hunters around because of the show.

I have not seen it. However, my guess is that there is a large regional variation in the popularity of the show.

Slack Tide wrote:Hell no...I for one definitely do NOT want more guys into hunting.
And PETA agrees 100%. This is very short sighted thinking. I always have and will continue to try and get more people into hunting. Even at my hunting/fishing club that is often very crowded, I ask every new member if they hunt and tell them I'll be happy to show them the ropes if they want to get into it. It's just the right thing to do. There are safety in numbers applies to hunting in a huge way. There are large numbers of people that would like to do nothing less than regulate us out of existence. The answer is to grow our numbers at every opportunity. If DD is doing this, that is awesome. Even if these newbies aren't doing it the right way :sarcmark: Who did when they started anyways? :huh:

I don't begrudge anyone working through the stages of being a hunter. Of course, those of us at an "advanced" stage often looked down upon those at an earlier stage as age apparently causes to forget how we were.

http://www.nodakoutdoors.com/hunter-stages.php
Although I think I go through all these stages in a single season and may oscillate back and forth :huh: Well except the shooter stage, that I don't get. Go break clays if you want to shoot, but when I was young, I definitely went through it and all new hunters start at the beginning with no experience. As the article says "a hunter’s age, role models, and his years of hunting experience affect his ideas of “success” but none of us started with over 30 years of hunting like I know have :eek: Although I pray I am not close to half way and have another 40 or 50 years of getting out and I'll bet if I'm 80 and get an opportunity to hunting something I have never even seen before, I'll be like a kid and regress back to the limiting out stage. At least I hope so :yes:

I have witnessed it here. just like a dedicated golfer can spot young 'tiger woods' groupies, the young new DD hunters are easy to spot.

And you know they will learn, so you laugh and move on and lead by example. Who cares how they get into the sport? Welcome aboard and good luck :beer:

easy to say until they pull up less than 100 yards from you, 5 guys unload at everything 120 yards up-everytime- and basically screw it up for everyone within 1000 yards of them.
The Cajun 7 Course Meal; 1 lb. of boudin and a six pack of Abita beer.

Save the Marsh, Eat a Nutria!

Indaswamp
Forum Moderator

Postby Indaswamp » Mon Nov 18, 2013 1:45 pm

I'm old school. I HATE pop-up boat blinds, mojo's, face paint, and sky busting.

I was taught duck hunting ethics from the start and it is sad that many do not get that nowadays.

Indaswamp
Forum Moderator

Postby SpinnerMan » Mon Nov 18, 2013 2:02 pm

Indaswamp wrote:I'm old school. I HATE pop-up boat blinds, mojo's, face paint, and sky busting.

I was taught duck hunting ethics from the start and it is sad that many do not get that nowadays.

So do you use a semi-auto or do you have old school ethics?

Plastic mass produced decoys?

What's wrong with pop-up blinds?

The only thing related to ethics in that sentence is sky busting. Your tastes are yours and whatever floats your boat :beer:

Maybe its just that I grew up hunting in one of the most heavily hunted counties in one of the most heavily hunted state and all the idiots that come along with that that I have a much greater tolerance for that. Also, I remember running into a kid I went to school with in the woods deer hunting and he was wearing some sort of pinstriped jeans and looked totally out of place. That kid grew up to spend a fair amount of time running around the woods of Afghanistan and would probably laugh at me now if we crossed paths in the woods again, although I'd probably never know he was there unless he wanted me to.

Respect other hunters, they have as much right to be there as you, respect the animals, and respect the law. Beyond that, whatever floats your boat is what I was taught.
A politician thinks of the next election; a statesman of the next generation. A politician looks for the success of his party; a statesman for that of the country. The statesman wished to steer, while the politician was satisfied to drift.
SpinnerMan
hunter

Postby Rat Creek » Mon Nov 18, 2013 2:31 pm

Indaswamp wrote:I'm old school. I HATE pop-up boat blinds, mojo's, face paint, and sky busting.

So, let's go old school. Go to the garage and get rid of thinsulate, gortex, semi automatic and pump guns, plastic hull shotgun shells, plastic decoys, nylon decoy bags, spinners, chemical hand warmers, fleece anything, plastic calls (plastic reeds in the wood calls), flashlights, camouflage, smart-wool, wicking layers and neoprene. Oh, that outboard motor? Get rid of it.

All of those things were or are new, unnecessary and unethical to some. Oh well. :rolleyes: What is old school for you might be new wave yuppie to those who came before you.

I do not face paint or use pop-up blinds, but I really do not care who does.

As for sky busting, just consider it pass shooting. Its all semantics. :umm: I know that will light some up because sky busting is what others do. :wink:
Rat Creek
Rat Creek
hunter

Postby Indaswamp » Mon Nov 18, 2013 2:35 pm

Rat Creek wrote:

So, let's go old school. Go to the garage and get rid of thinsulate, gortex, semi automatic and pump guns, plastic hull shotgun shells, plastic decoys, nylon decoy bags, spinners, chemical hand warmers, fleece anything, plastic calls (plastic reeds in the wood calls), flashlights, camouflage, smart-wool, wicking layers and neoprene. Oh, that outboard motor? Get rid of it.

All of those things were or are new, unnecessary and unethical to some. Oh well. :rolleyes: What is old school for you might be new wave yuppie to those who came before you.

I do not face paint or use pop-up blinds, but I really do not care who does.

As for sky busting, just consider it pass shooting. Its all semantics. :umm: I know that will light some up because sky busting is what others do. :wink:

I'm not going to debate my definition of old school here...

Indaswamp
Forum Moderator

Postby SpinnerMan » Mon Nov 18, 2013 2:37 pm

Rat Creek wrote:I do not face paint or use pop-up blinds, but I really do not care who does.

I don't get the problem with pop up blinds and face paint.

I'm about 20 yards away in a pop up blind wearing face paint when this picture was taken. :yes:

doe.jpg
A politician thinks of the next election; a statesman of the next generation. A politician looks for the success of his party; a statesman for that of the country. The statesman wished to steer, while the politician was satisfied to drift.
SpinnerMan
hunter

Postby Indaswamp » Mon Nov 18, 2013 2:42 pm

SpinnerMan wrote:
Rat Creek wrote:I do not face paint or use pop-up blinds, but I really do not care who does.

I don't get the problem with pop up blinds and face paint.

I'm about 20 yards away in a pop up blind wearing face paint when this picture was taken. :yes:

doe.jpg

pop up boat blinds spinner....for duck hunting...

though I have a strong dislike for pop-up blinds turkey hunting as well....does not take much skill to draw a bow on a turkey from a pop up blind, do it without one and I'll be impressed.

Indaswamp
Forum Moderator

Postby ScaupHunter » Mon Nov 18, 2013 2:43 pm

SpinnerMan wrote:

O/U for everything. I never miss so an auto would shorten the hunt to much.
:biggrin:

Home Made Foamers :smile:

To heavy to bother carrying. Nautral brush works better.

The only thing related to ethics in that sentence is sky busting. Your tastes are yours and whatever floats your boat :beer:

Sky busting is always fun when some azzhat thinks he owns the river and gets pissy when I set up 120 yards downwind of him. Besides a guy is gonna get bored waiting for ducks to come in feet down. Those high flyers need an education too. :lol3:

Bella's
Decoy Setting Pro Staff
Boat Operator Pro Staff
Duck Shooting Pro Staff
Warm Towel Pro Staff
Snack Supply Pro Staff

He works for free! Who's the B now?
ScaupHunter
hunter

Postby Indaswamp » Mon Nov 18, 2013 2:47 pm

ScaupHunter wrote:
SpinnerMan wrote:

O/U for everything. I never miss so an auto would shorten the hunt to much.
:biggrin:

Home Made Foamers :smile:

To heavy to bother carrying. Nautral brush works better.

Sky busting is always fun when some azzhat thinks he owns the river and gets pissy when I set up 120 yards downwind of him. Besides a guy is gonna get bored waiting for ducks to come in feet down. Those high flyers need an education too. :lol3:

you might get popped with hunter harassment if you tried that here...
http://www.animallaw.info/statutes/stuslars648.htm
§ 648.1. Harassment and disturbance prohibited

No person shall engage in any of the following activities on lands or waters managed by the state pursuant to R.S. 56:781 through R.S. 56:787, or upon private lands or waters where a hunter, trapper, or fisherman has been given permission by the owner or his agent to take wild animals:

(1) Interfere with the lawful taking of a wild animal by a hunter, trapper, or fisherman or interfere with the process of taking, with intent to prevent the taking.

(2) Disturb a wild animal, or engage in any activity or place any object or substance that will tend to disturb or otherwise affect the behavior of a wild animal, with intent to prevent or hinder its lawful taking.

(3) Disturb any hunter, trapper, or fisherman who is engaged in the lawful taking of a wild animal or who is engaged in the process of taking, with intent to dissuade or otherwise prevent the taking, or to prevent such person's enjoyment of the outdoors.

(4) Enter or remain upon state-managed lands or waters or upon private lands or waters with intent to violate the provisions of this Section.

(5) Enter or remain upon any private property, including nonnavigable water, owned by another through the use of a floating duck blind or any other float or boat used for the purpose of hunting migratory waterfowl without the express, written permission of the landowner, lessee, lessor, or hunting club or organization authorized to hunt on the land.

Indaswamp
Forum Moderator

Re: Why are hunters bashing "Duck Dynasty hunters"

Postby Drakenstien » Mon Nov 18, 2013 4:18 pm

Pop-up blinds?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Drakenstien
hunter

Postby Indaswamp » Mon Nov 18, 2013 4:22 pm

Drakenstien wrote:Pop-up blinds?

Boat pop up blinds....

Indaswamp
Forum Moderator

Postby Drakenstien » Mon Nov 18, 2013 4:26 pm

Yea I know, I got one on my boat, I just don't see what's wrong with pop-up blind

Drakenstien
hunter

Postby Indaswamp » Mon Nov 18, 2013 4:27 pm

Drakenstien wrote:Image
Yea I know, I got one on my boat, I just don't see what's wrong with pop-up blind

what state do you hunt in?

Indaswamp
Forum Moderator

Postby Drakenstien » Mon Nov 18, 2013 5:25 pm

Gulf coast of mississippi

Drakenstien
hunter

Postby clampdaddy » Mon Nov 18, 2013 7:29 pm

Scauphunter wrote:Sky busting is always fun when some azzhat thinks he owns the river and gets pissy when I set up 120 yards downwind of him. Besides a guy is gonna get bored waiting for ducks to come in feet down. Those high flyers need an education too. :lol3:

Tell me you're joking.
clampdaddy
hunter

Postby Indaswamp » Mon Nov 18, 2013 7:30 pm

clampdaddy wrote:
Indaswamp wrote:Sky busting is always fun when some azzhat thinks he owns the river and gets pissy when I set up 120 yards downwind of him. Besides a guy is gonna get bored waiting for ducks to come in feet down. Those high flyers need an education too. :lol3:

Tell me you're joking.

not me who typed that cd....

Indaswamp
Forum Moderator

Postby clampdaddy » Mon Nov 18, 2013 7:31 pm

Indaswamp wrote:
clampdaddy wrote:
Indaswamp wrote:Sky busting is always fun when some azzhat thinks he owns the river and gets pissy when I set up 120 yards downwind of him. Besides a guy is gonna get bored waiting for ducks to come in feet down. Those high flyers need an education too. :lol3:

Tell me you're joking.

Just caught it and edited. Sorry Inda.
clampdaddy
hunter

Postby ScaupHunter » Mon Nov 18, 2013 8:51 pm

clampdaddy wrote:
Indaswamp wrote:
clampdaddy wrote:

Tell me you're joking.

Just caught it and edited. Sorry Inda.

It was me and of course I was joking. I hunt where I don't have to worry about other hunters much.
Bella's
Decoy Setting Pro Staff
Boat Operator Pro Staff
Duck Shooting Pro Staff
Warm Towel Pro Staff
Snack Supply Pro Staff

He works for free! Who's the B now?
ScaupHunter
hunter

Postby JustStartin' » Tue Nov 19, 2013 7:31 pm

Hell yeah friend them, have them buy everything and if they decide not to hunt and your friends you got all that gear they will give or sell to you cheap.
JustStartin'
hunter

Postby dudejcb » Tue Nov 19, 2013 8:32 pm

Drakenstien wrote:But aren't we all going to break the commandments. That's how I got into duck hunting( sure Id been deer hunting for a while and known some boundaries ) but as far as following when I started I new nothing but the common deer "morals". We just got our duck stamps and a few decoys and went. We did not know anyone that did it just someone who happened to have some decoys and a buddy who had a mullet boat. I loved it, didn't kill much, but as an every weekend and holiday deer hunter I will be hunting for duck opening weekend of deer season. Because I could finally afford the time and money for it. Oh by the way I was 15 when I started hunting duck so you can understand my point. But wasn't I the same way.

I first hunted ducks primarily jump shooting from a canoe, the shooter sitting in front, the other paddling silently, hugging the inside curve of small rivers winding along wide marshes traversing the big woods of northern Wisconsin. Occasionally we'd set up for divers (mostly Blue-bills) on a lake, but not too often as the canoeing offered a chance to scout deer and shoot the occasional partridge.

I decided to become a very serious duck hunter about age 14 and began reading books and magazines, and bought a 45 rpm instructional duck calling record from Herters mail order. It was on. Now I'm the best duck hunter that ever lived. Thanks Herters.
What's so funny 'bout peace love and understanding?
dudejcb
hunter

Postby dudejcb » Tue Nov 19, 2013 8:40 pm

Oh, I forgot my initial reason for posting.

The problem I see, if any, with the Duck Dynasty thing is that it reminds me of of a hybrid cross between the movie A River Runs Through It and The Three Stooges. On the one hand it may encourage some newbies to go for it duck-hunting-wise, on the other they may get in my way as has oft happened over the years ... and the last thing we need is even more demand (read that scarcity and more costly) for shot shells, guide employees showing up in my spots to "hold" it for when the rich and clueless show up to shoot.
dudejcb
hunter

Postby macdaddy » Wed Nov 20, 2013 6:32 am

dudejcb wrote:Oh, I forgot my initial reason for posting.

The problem I see, if any, with the Duck Dynasty thing is that it reminds me of of a hybrid cross between the movie A River Runs Through It and The Three Stooges. On the one hand it may encourage some newbies to go for it duck-hunting-wise, on the other they may get in my way as has oft happened over the years ... and the last thing we need is even more demand (read that scarcity and more costly) for shot shells, guide employees showing up in my spots to "hold" it for when the rich and clueless show up to shoot.

At least the Robertsons don't wear black sweatshirts.

Take heart, Dude - many of the "newbees" will disappear after the first year. Disappointment settles in fast.

Your "hybrid cross between...A River Runs Through It and the Three Stooges" has me laughing as I type this; the mental picture is hysterical. :lol3: :lol3: :lol3:
I'm the guy your Mother Goose warned you about.
macdaddy
hunter

Postby Hbnel5on » Wed Nov 20, 2013 7:46 am

I think Bryce and Kirk should be introduced to this thread...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free
OHIODUCKA5 wrote:Hookers and blow.
Hbnel5on
hunter

Postby shoveler_shooter » Wed Nov 20, 2013 4:40 pm

Botiz630 wrote:
clampdaddy wrote:I want to hear the details of the fight with the skybusters.

This is what I want to hear more about. Who in the world is going to fight a pack of 15 year olds?

Still waiting to hear about this...
UmatillaJeff wrote:This load would drop ducks and geese like thors hammer in my hands, I would bet the equity in my house on it.
shoveler_shooter
hunter

Postby dudejcb » Wed Nov 20, 2013 4:41 pm

macdaddy wrote:
dudejcb wrote:Oh, I forgot my initial reason for posting.

At least the Robertsons don't wear black sweatshirts.

Take heart, Dude - many of the "newbees" will disappear after the first year. Disappointment settles in fast.

Your "hybrid cross between...A River Runs Through It and the Three Stooges" has me laughing as I type this; the mental picture is hysterical. :lol3: :lol3: :lol3:

I thought the funny part was in the first post "I decided to become a very serious duck hunter about age 14 and began reading books and magazines, and bought a 45 rpm instructional duck calling record from Herters mail order. It was on. Now I'm the best duck hunter that ever lived. Thanks Herters." Hard to believe no one jumped on that.
dudejcb
hunter

PreviousNext

Return to Controversial Issues Forum