Why are hunters bashing "Duck Dynasty hunters"

A forum not related to waterfowl for discussing the more controversial and hot topic issues in our world from immigration, politics, the war, etc..

Moderators: Smackaduck, MM

Re: Why are hunters bashing

Postby swampbilly 1980 » Wed Nov 06, 2013 11:50 am

Rat Creek wrote:Reality check time. The azzhats who are setting up too close to you, who sound terrible when calling and skybust (aka pass shoot) are not newbies or Duck Dynasty couch educated. They are average run of the mill hunters.


I agree 'Rat.
It's been going on looong before DD ever aired.

Do believe that DD could be responsible for the countless younger generation'ers who wear more face paint than a prostitute on West Broad street on Sat nite-

And they hunt out of a blind that's bushed up with tons of facepaint on , unlike in a swamp with natural cover like Phil and Co. do, where you'd really (really), want some on.
Some of those kids just don't know what they don't know.

It's silly.
Swampbilly1980- I got a feeva',..and the only cure is more Mergansers and face paint.
User avatar
swampbilly 1980
Forum & State Moderator
 
Posts: 9085
Joined: Fri Jan 09, 2009 5:53 am
Location: Gloucester,Va.


Re: Why are hunters bashing

Postby Rat Creek » Wed Nov 06, 2013 12:41 pm

swampbilly 1980 wrote:Some of those kids just don't know what they don't know.

It's silly.


:lol3: True.

But sometimes the youth come up with good ideas. In my youth, and before commercial layout blinds and goose-chairs, my goofy friends and I wanted to hunt this open field. With no good cover to drag out, we decided to simply sit on the ground and hold goose shells over our heads when birds were coming our way. The "expert and experienced" hunters thought we were idiots (which may have been accurate), and said we would ruin everyone's hunt with our antics, but there was one small problem. We killed a lot of geese which I now attribute to hiding in plain sight, and movement, because 16 year old hunters with goose shells held over their heads tend to move around a lot. :yes:

If only we were wise enough to realize this was the advent of the goose-chair, as well as motion decoys, I might have my own TV show called Gooseheads and would be selling $12 bags of Goosehead jerky. :yes:

So my guess is the Duck Dynasty youth will soon morph into more traditional hunters, but will also bring fresh ideas to the game. Some good, some not so good. :oops:
Last edited by Rat Creek on Wed Nov 06, 2013 1:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Rat Creek
Rat Creek
hunter
 
Posts: 4463
Joined: Sun Aug 01, 2004 4:11 pm
Location: Overland Park, KS

Re: Why are hunters bashing "Duck Dynasty hunters"

Postby Botiz630 » Wed Nov 06, 2013 1:09 pm

I dislike Duck Dynasty simply because it's a terrible show.

It's not funny or original, the plot-lines are nonexistent and the dialogue is so obviously canned and forced that the show is downright painful to sit through.

I do look down on fans of the show, but it has nothing to do with their sudden presence in the field and everything to do with the fact that they enjoy such drivel.
A year from now, you'll wish you had started today.
User avatar
Botiz630
Forum Moderator
 
Posts: 16774
Joined: Mon Dec 10, 2007 11:24 pm
Location: Indiana

Re: Why are hunters bashing

Postby blackduckdog2 » Wed Nov 06, 2013 1:20 pm

Botiz630 wrote:I dislike Duck Dynasty simply because it's a terrible show.

It's not funny or original, the plot-lines are nonexistent and the dialogue is so obviously canned and forced that the show is downright painful to sit through.

I do look down on fans of the show, but it has nothing to do with their sudden presence in the field and everything to do with the fact that they enjoy such drivel.

yep
"We have met the enemy, and he is us."
Walt Kelly, via Slow's avatar. Look it up
User avatar
blackduckdog2
hunter
 
Posts: 6290
Joined: Tue Nov 25, 2008 11:02 am

Re: Why are hunters bashing "Duck Dynasty hunters"

Postby Feelin' Fowl » Wed Nov 06, 2013 1:36 pm

blackduckdog2 wrote:
vincentpa wrote:I've said it before and I'll say it again, and again, and again...

I wish I could sell out.

There's cashing in and there's selling out………and then there's making a damned fool of yourself. But I do like playing with their gadwall call (not that any birds ever tolled to it……it's just fun to croak like a gadwall)


What's the difference? Cashing in is cashing in. They may have to sell out a bit, or make fools of themselves to do it, but I'm not going to judge their business practices.

Bottom line is they have cashed in.
luie b wrote:I think you guys were right.
User avatar
Feelin' Fowl
hunter
 
Posts: 664
Joined: Tue Jun 28, 2011 11:12 am
Location: Northern IL

Re: Why are hunters bashing

Postby JuniorPre 360 » Wed Nov 06, 2013 1:55 pm

Drakenstien wrote:I have seen many people on this forum and other forums bashing the new flock of hunters due to the show Duck Dynasty. Why is this a big deal, I thought the goal was to get more people into hunting?

I would also like to see the duck stamp numbers for the last two years.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

-Poaching
-Breaking laws such as killing too many species, pelicans, hawks, and so on...
-Kids in the marsh referring to one another as Jack and Boy.
-New commers sneaking up on my decoys, realizing they are decoys, then hunting off of them.
-Skybusters, party blower callers, pro staffers, "experts," crews, teams, and kids wearing camo all the time now.
-Ignorant hunters wearing orange, shooting early and late, shooting without plugs, killing too many and so on...

I could go on but they make us look like a joke. A duck hunter is now a prebucent high school child with a painted face and a half grown beard (usually traveling in crews) or an extremely wealthy young guy with a huge boat and truck wearing orange with a lanyard covered in ebay bought bands.
A BAD DAY AT THE MARSH BEATS A GOOD DAY AT WORK.
killwoodies101 wrote:your a dudshe bag! You dont own the river your dont own any property around it.. Its just as mush mine and any other tom **** and harry's as it is yours !! get a life share what is yours or stop hunting
User avatar
JuniorPre 360
hunter
 
Posts: 2886
Joined: Sun May 15, 2011 12:40 pm
Location: Canal de Panama

Re: Why are hunters bashing "Duck Dynasty hunters"

Postby go get the bird » Wed Nov 06, 2013 2:01 pm

JuniorPre 360 wrote:
Drakenstien wrote:I have seen many people on this forum and other forums bashing the new flock of hunters due to the show Duck Dynasty. Why is this a big deal, I thought the goal was to get more people into hunting?

I would also like to see the duck stamp numbers for the last two years.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

-Poaching
-Breaking laws such as killing too many species, pelicans, hawks, and so on...
-Kids in the marsh referring to one another as Jack and Boy.
-New commers sneaking up on my decoys, realizing they are decoys, then hunting off of them.
-Skybusters, party blower callers, pro staffers, "experts," crews, teams, and kids wearing camo all the time now.
-Ignorant hunters wearing orange, shooting early and late, shooting without plugs, killing too many and so on...

I could go on but they make us look like a joke. A duck hunter is now a prebucent high school child with a painted face and a half grown beard (usually traveling in crews) or an extremely wealthy young guy with a huge boat and truck wearing orange with a lanyard covered in ebay bought bands.

You pretty much summed up my hunting. Prick.

:lol:
MackieKnife wrote:The moral of the story is...I'm retarded.
User avatar
go get the bird
hunter
 
Posts: 3372
Joined: Tue Oct 18, 2011 1:12 pm

Re: Why are hunters bashing

Postby Indaswamp » Wed Nov 06, 2013 2:08 pm

I was a duck hunter long before duck hunting was "cool". What DD has done for the hunting here is pulled a lot of previously retired duck hunters back out into the marshbecause they have nephews or cousins that watch DD and now want to start duck hunting. That and a lot of young hunters that just don't know what they are doing.
The Cajun 7 Course Meal; 1 lb. of boudin and a six pack of Abita beer.

Save the Marsh, Eat a Nutria!

Never fart in your waders, it'll give you WORTS.
User avatar
Indaswamp
Forum Moderator
 
Posts: 57636
Joined: Thu Aug 07, 2008 8:40 pm
Location: South Louisiana

Re: Why are hunters bashing

Postby Indaswamp » Wed Nov 06, 2013 2:17 pm

I also have a bunch of "SI" tea cups....long before they were cool and he made them famous. Been having them for oh, 10 years or so.....
The Cajun 7 Course Meal; 1 lb. of boudin and a six pack of Abita beer.

Save the Marsh, Eat a Nutria!

Never fart in your waders, it'll give you WORTS.
User avatar
Indaswamp
Forum Moderator
 
Posts: 57636
Joined: Thu Aug 07, 2008 8:40 pm
Location: South Louisiana

Re: Why are hunters bashing

Postby JuniorPre 360 » Wed Nov 06, 2013 2:25 pm

Indaswamp wrote:I also have a bunch of "SI" tea cups....long before they were cool and he made them famous. Been having them for oh, 10 years or so.....

I've had a DD beard and been "catchin ducks" long before I knew it was cool. I even built a swamp people motor.

I guess the most positive thing to come of all of this is that ALL of my co workers let me know everytime they see ducks so I don't have to scout. "I saw a duck or a goose flying when I was driving down I-89." BOOM! I got a spot now! And I also get to know their family as well. "Yeah I have a cousin that went hunting once. Caught 2 ducks." Sweet man! :thumbsup:
A BAD DAY AT THE MARSH BEATS A GOOD DAY AT WORK.
killwoodies101 wrote:your a dudshe bag! You dont own the river your dont own any property around it.. Its just as mush mine and any other tom **** and harry's as it is yours !! get a life share what is yours or stop hunting
User avatar
JuniorPre 360
hunter
 
Posts: 2886
Joined: Sun May 15, 2011 12:40 pm
Location: Canal de Panama

Re: Why are hunters bashing

Postby Andy W » Wed Nov 06, 2013 2:42 pm

I've never seen an episode but I don't see any reason for the bashing. Heck, I would like to be as successful in my business as they seem to be.
Andy W
hunter
 
Posts: 614
Joined: Fri Feb 08, 2008 8:30 am
Location: KY

Re: Why are hunters bashing

Postby blackduckdog2 » Wed Nov 06, 2013 2:47 pm

Feelin' Fowl wrote:
blackduckdog2 wrote:
vincentpa wrote:I've said it before and I'll say it again, and again, and again...

I wish I could sell out.

There's cashing in and there's selling out………and then there's making a damned fool of yourself. But I do like playing with their gadwall call (not that any birds ever tolled to it……it's just fun to croak like a gadwall)


What's the difference? Cashing in is cashing in. They may have to sell out a bit, or make fools of themselves to do it, but I'm not going to judge their business practices.

Bottom line is they have cashed in.

Their business practices are clearly sound. Doesn't mean they're not fools, and some folks (like me) have no trouble calling them so. Rich fool, poor fool, it's all the same to me
"We have met the enemy, and he is us."
Walt Kelly, via Slow's avatar. Look it up
User avatar
blackduckdog2
hunter
 
Posts: 6290
Joined: Tue Nov 25, 2008 11:02 am

Re: Why are hunters bashing

Postby Indaswamp » Wed Nov 06, 2013 2:50 pm

blackduckdog2 wrote:
Feelin' Fowl wrote:
blackduckdog2 wrote:
vincentpa wrote:I've said it before and I'll say it again, and again, and again...

I wish I could sell out.

There's cashing in and there's selling out………and then there's making a damned fool of yourself. But I do like playing with their gadwall call (not that any birds ever tolled to it……it's just fun to croak like a gadwall)


What's the difference? Cashing in is cashing in. They may have to sell out a bit, or make fools of themselves to do it, but I'm not going to judge their business practices.

Bottom line is they have cashed in.

Their business practices are clearly sound. Doesn't mean they're not fools, and some folks (like me) have no trouble calling them so. Rich fool, poor fool, it's all the same to me

I say, let them get it while they can. They have expanded their market to the non hunters. more non hunters are buying their calls now than hunters. I have met Phil and knew him from way beck when he first started, he is as down to earth as they come.
The Cajun 7 Course Meal; 1 lb. of boudin and a six pack of Abita beer.

Save the Marsh, Eat a Nutria!

Never fart in your waders, it'll give you WORTS.
User avatar
Indaswamp
Forum Moderator
 
Posts: 57636
Joined: Thu Aug 07, 2008 8:40 pm
Location: South Louisiana

Re: Why are hunters bashing

Postby assateague » Wed Nov 06, 2013 2:51 pm

Indaswamp wrote:
assateague wrote:Everyone was the same way, much as they might like to think they came out of the womb as duck killing machines.

not me....I was taught how to hunt ducks at my families lease. I was told the rules up front, and learned to call ducks by watching someone that knew what the hell they were doing.



But you WERE the same before you were taught. You just had teachers who held you accountable. Doesn't mean you were any different than the newbs out there now- the only difference is whether or not they have someone good to help them out.
WOLVERINES

Give a man a fish and he eats for a day. Let a man vote to give himself a fish and he eats until society collapses.
User avatar
assateague
Emu hunter extraordinaire
 
Posts: 21277
Joined: Tue Oct 06, 2009 12:25 pm
Location: Eastern Shore, People's Republic of Maryland

Re: Why are hunters bashing

Postby Indaswamp » Wed Nov 06, 2013 2:53 pm

assateague wrote:
Indaswamp wrote:
assateague wrote:Everyone was the same way, much as they might like to think they came out of the womb as duck killing machines.

not me....I was taught how to hunt ducks at my families lease. I was told the rules up front, and learned to call ducks by watching someone that knew what the hell they were doing.



But you WERE the same before you were taught. You just had teachers who held you accountable. Doesn't mean you were any different than the newbs out there now- the only difference is whether or not they have someone good to help them out.

noted...I see your point.
The Cajun 7 Course Meal; 1 lb. of boudin and a six pack of Abita beer.

Save the Marsh, Eat a Nutria!

Never fart in your waders, it'll give you WORTS.
User avatar
Indaswamp
Forum Moderator
 
Posts: 57636
Joined: Thu Aug 07, 2008 8:40 pm
Location: South Louisiana

Re: Why are hunters bashing

Postby assateague » Wed Nov 06, 2013 3:02 pm

Granted, you can't reach everyone, but it would be a far better thing to at least TRY and help these guys out rather than run them down for not knowing anything. (Not you specifically, just in general). The more numbers we have out there, the better off we'll all be in the long run. I could care less if they're out there because of Duck Dynasty or because of Ted Nugent or because they can't stand to spend time with their wife. I try and do what I can to help, because ultimately three guys out hunting because of Duck Dynasty are three more guys to add to the total numbers when it comes time to make sure our voices are heard. It's our responsibility to at least make the effort to help, to keep it enjoyable for everyone, because that is ultimately what will benefit us. Having only 100 really, really, REALLY excellent, ethical hunters in the country is a quick way to make sure hunting is legislated away due to lack of interest. I'd rather have 10,000,000 marginal hunters, some who are worthless and some who could maybe be mentored. 10,000,000 voices will always get more respect than 100.
WOLVERINES

Give a man a fish and he eats for a day. Let a man vote to give himself a fish and he eats until society collapses.
User avatar
assateague
Emu hunter extraordinaire
 
Posts: 21277
Joined: Tue Oct 06, 2009 12:25 pm
Location: Eastern Shore, People's Republic of Maryland

Re: Why are hunters bashing

Postby slowshooter » Wed Nov 06, 2013 3:08 pm

vincentpa wrote:Slow would like a Hispanic Hunt day, not just a youth hunt day. He believes Mexicans are disadvantaged because they are generally too short to see over the front rail of a blind built for white folk.



LOL! I'm taller than you and all the other guys in my family are taller than me. All the way up to 6'7".

You shouldn't throw stones if your tiny arms can only launch them 12 feet. :lol3: :lol3: :lol3:
All this for a bowl of borscht.
User avatar
slowshooter
hunter
 
Posts: 9011
Joined: Wed Apr 05, 2006 8:44 pm
Location: San Jose, CA

Re: Why are hunters bashing "Duck Dynasty hunters"

Postby Feelin' Fowl » Wed Nov 06, 2013 3:19 pm

assateague wrote:Granted, you can't reach everyone, but it would be a far better thing to at least TRY and help these guys out rather than run them down for not knowing anything. (Not you specifically, just in general). The more numbers we have out there, the better off we'll all be in the long run. I could care less if they're out there because of Duck Dynasty or because of Ted Nugent or because they can't stand to spend time with their wife. I try and do what I can to help, because ultimately three guys out hunting because of Duck Dynasty are three more guys to add to the total numbers when it comes time to make sure our voices are heard. It's our responsibility to at least make the effort to help, to keep it enjoyable for everyone, because that is ultimately what will benefit us. Having only 100 really, really, REALLY excellent, ethical hunters in the country is a quick way to make sure hunting is legislated away due to lack of interest. I'd rather have 10,000,000 marginal hunters, some who are worthless and some who could maybe be mentored. 10,000,000 voices will always get more respect than 100.


^ This

There are too many "awesome" duck hunters out there that need to read, understand, and practice this...
luie b wrote:I think you guys were right.
User avatar
Feelin' Fowl
hunter
 
Posts: 664
Joined: Tue Jun 28, 2011 11:12 am
Location: Northern IL

Re: Why are hunters bashing

Postby blackduckdog2 » Wed Nov 06, 2013 3:48 pm

assateague wrote:Granted, you can't reach everyone, but it would be a far better thing to at least TRY and help these guys out rather than run them down for not knowing anything. (Not you specifically, just in general). The more numbers we have out there, the better off we'll all be in the long run. I could care less if they're out there because of Duck Dynasty or because of Ted Nugent or because they can't stand to spend time with their wife. I try and do what I can to help, because ultimately three guys out hunting because of Duck Dynasty are three more guys to add to the total numbers when it comes time to make sure our voices are heard. It's our responsibility to at least make the effort to help, to keep it enjoyable for everyone, because that is ultimately what will benefit us. Having only 100 really, really, REALLY excellent, ethical hunters in the country is a quick way to make sure hunting is legislated away due to lack of interest. I'd rather have 10,000,000 marginal hunters, some who are worthless and some who could maybe be mentored. 10,000,000 voices will always get more respect than 100.

Check……I hate the stupid show, but I'm obviously about hangin' with waterfowlers. FAct is, I don't know of anyone who wants in because of DD. But there's a pro-hunt movement among younger (than 40) urban folks, based mainly on high quality table fare, and a horror of mainstream slaughterhouse practices. My step-son and his friend (both chefs) are taking a firearms safety class and want me to take them scattergun shopping, then on to the duck blind. More hunters=good
"We have met the enemy, and he is us."
Walt Kelly, via Slow's avatar. Look it up
User avatar
blackduckdog2
hunter
 
Posts: 6290
Joined: Tue Nov 25, 2008 11:02 am

Re: Why are hunters bashing

Postby clampdaddy » Wed Nov 06, 2013 5:08 pm

blackduckdog2 wrote: ....More hunters=good


Yup. And more non hunters who realize that we aren't heartless, bloodthirsty lunatics = good too.
User avatar
clampdaddy
hunter
 
Posts: 3637
Joined: Tue May 24, 2011 9:23 pm
Location: Where spoonies go to die

Re: Why are hunters bashing "Duck Dynasty hunters"

Postby Blue Falcon » Wed Nov 06, 2013 5:24 pm

I can't wait for all those used once decoys to hit craigslist.

Sent from my MB860 using Tapatalk 2
Blue Falcon
hunter
 
Posts: 11
Joined: Mon Oct 07, 2013 7:58 pm

Re: Why are hunters bashing

Postby clampdaddy » Wed Nov 06, 2013 5:43 pm

Blue Falcon wrote:I can't wait for all those used once decoys to hit craigslist.

Sent from my MB860 using Tapatalk 2

Why? Most of them will be those crappy blow up decoys they sell at Walmart. :lol3:
User avatar
clampdaddy
hunter
 
Posts: 3637
Joined: Tue May 24, 2011 9:23 pm
Location: Where spoonies go to die

Re: Why are hunters bashing

Postby Indaswamp » Wed Nov 06, 2013 5:52 pm

clampdaddy wrote:
Blue Falcon wrote:I can't wait for all those used once decoys to hit craigslist.

Sent from my MB860 using Tapatalk 2

Why? Most of them will be those crappy blow up decoys they sell at Walmart. :lol3:

and they want $1000 for them on CL!!! :lol3: :lol3: :lol3:
The Cajun 7 Course Meal; 1 lb. of boudin and a six pack of Abita beer.

Save the Marsh, Eat a Nutria!

Never fart in your waders, it'll give you WORTS.
User avatar
Indaswamp
Forum Moderator
 
Posts: 57636
Joined: Thu Aug 07, 2008 8:40 pm
Location: South Louisiana

Re: Why are hunters bashing

Postby blackduckdog2 » Wed Nov 06, 2013 6:12 pm

clampdaddy wrote:
blackduckdog2 wrote: ....More hunters=good


Yup. And more non hunters who realize that we aren't heartless, bloodthirsty lunatics = good too.

That may be even bigger than just adding hunters. I've been serving some pretty fancy-schmancy game dishes to my liberal friends for decades now, and believe me, the quickest way to a pro-hunt convert is through his stomach. I'm waiting for some of the local laws to change so that locally shot wild game can served at Seattle restaurants, and boy howdy, do I expect THAT to change attitudes (it will also attract some protest (obviously) but I think I know who'll win that one
"We have met the enemy, and he is us."
Walt Kelly, via Slow's avatar. Look it up
User avatar
blackduckdog2
hunter
 
Posts: 6290
Joined: Tue Nov 25, 2008 11:02 am

Re: Why are hunters bashing

Postby Indaswamp » Wed Nov 06, 2013 6:15 pm

blackduckdog2 wrote:
clampdaddy wrote:
blackduckdog2 wrote: ....More hunters=good


Yup. And more non hunters who realize that we aren't heartless, bloodthirsty lunatics = good too.

That may be even bigger than just adding hunters. I've been serving some pretty fancy-schmancy game dishes to my liberal friends for decades now, and believe me, the quickest way to a pro-hunt convert is through his stomach. I'm waiting for some of the local laws to change so that locally shot wild game can served at Seattle restaurants, and boy howdy, do I expect THAT to change attitudes (it will also attract some protest (obviously) but I think I know who'll win that one

that will never happen BDD2...they will not sell wild duck in a restaurant ever again.
The Cajun 7 Course Meal; 1 lb. of boudin and a six pack of Abita beer.

Save the Marsh, Eat a Nutria!

Never fart in your waders, it'll give you WORTS.
User avatar
Indaswamp
Forum Moderator
 
Posts: 57636
Joined: Thu Aug 07, 2008 8:40 pm
Location: South Louisiana

PreviousNext

Return to Controversial Issues Forum

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests