Why are hunters bashing "Duck Dynasty hunters"

A forum not related to waterfowl for discussing the more controversial and hot topic issues in our world from immigration, politics, the war, etc..

Moderators: Smackaduck, MM

Re: Why are hunters bashing "Duck Dynasty hunters"

Postby whaknstak » Fri Nov 08, 2013 8:25 am

When has duck dynasty ever given any tips on duck hunting? When have they showed guys skyblasting, hunting too close, acting like a jackass at the ramp, hunting out of an orange kayak, or using blow up decoys? They don't. So why does everyone blame the Robertson family and their record setting show for the actions of ignorant hunters? Its ridiculous. Its a funny, scripted show of a family that happens to make duck calls. Nothing more.

I would argue that they're a positive influence on today's culture. Nothing on tv anymore is wholesome. DD is full of good morals, intact families, clean language, and solid Christian principles. Makes me "happy happy" to see that kind of stuff on tv, and even happier when young kids look up to that and think its cool.

I just don't understand the hate.....
"Do you care about freedom? Dreams may have inspired it, and wishes prompted it, but only war and weapons have made it yours."

Col Jeff Cooper
whaknstak
hunter

Re: Why are hunters bashing

Postby JuniorPre 360 » Fri Nov 08, 2013 10:41 am

whaknstak wrote:When has duck dynasty ever given any tips on duck hunting? When have they showed guys skyblasting, hunting too close, acting like a jackass at the ramp, hunting out of an orange kayak, or using blow up decoys? They don't. So why does everyone blame the Robertson family and their record setting show for the actions of ignorant hunters? Its ridiculous. Its a funny, scripted show of a family that happens to make duck calls. Nothing more.

I would argue that they're a positive influence on today's culture. Nothing on tv anymore is wholesome. DD is full of good morals, intact families, clean language, and solid Christian principles. Makes me "happy happy" to see that kind of stuff on tv, and even happier when young kids look up to that and think its cool.

I just don't understand the hate.....

Swamp people doesn't advertise poaching gators either. But people want to be like them and go out to kill gators. I read an article about the gator poaching problems. I could name a few tv shows that have ruined a lot of things for others because of their influence. This generation of children copy everything they see on TV and video games. They play Call of Duty and they are automatically gun experts. They watch DD and they are now expert hunters. Go to a gun store and you'll most likely see high school kids asking to see "sniper rifles," M16's, and desert eagles. Of course these tv shows and games aren't telling them to do this. But these children don't wake up one day and decide randomly to do what they do.
A BAD DAY AT THE MARSH BEATS A GOOD DAY AT WORK.
killwoodies101 wrote:your a dudshe bag! You dont own the river your dont own any property around it.. Its just as mush mine and any other tom **** and harry's as it is yours !! get a life share what is yours or stop hunting
JuniorPre 360
hunter

Postby whaknstak » Fri Nov 08, 2013 10:54 am

Its not Troy's fault someone else poaches alligators, just like its not Willie's fault someone shoots after legal in the marsh. The idea that they are responsible for someone else's actions is ridiculous.
"Do you care about freedom? Dreams may have inspired it, and wishes prompted it, but only war and weapons have made it yours."

Col Jeff Cooper
whaknstak
hunter

Postby assateague » Fri Nov 08, 2013 11:04 am

whaknstak wrote:Its not Troy's fault someone else poaches alligators, just like its not Willie's fault someone shoots after legal in the marsh. The idea that they are responsible for someone else's actions is ridiculous.

x2
WOLVERINES

Give a man a fish and he eats for a day. Let a man vote to give himself a fish and he eats until society collapses.
assateague
Emu hunter extraordinaire

Postby JuniorPre 360 » Fri Nov 08, 2013 11:13 am

whaknstak wrote:Its not Troy's fault someone else poaches alligators, just like its not Willie's fault someone shoots after legal in the marsh. The idea that they are responsible for someone else's actions is ridiculous.

Not saying it is a fault or faulty. I'm saying because of these shows and video games, these children with identity issues want to be what they see on TV or on video games. So they go out and introduce their stupidity to everyone in a community advertised through media.
killwoodies101 wrote:your a dudshe bag! You dont own the river your dont own any property around it.. Its just as mush mine and any other tom **** and harry's as it is yours !! get a life share what is yours or stop hunting
JuniorPre 360
hunter

Postby ohioboy » Fri Nov 08, 2013 11:27 am

JuniorPre 360 wrote:

Not saying it is a fault or faulty. I'm saying because of these shows and video games, these children with identity issues want to be what they see on TV or on video games. So they go out and introduce their stupidity to everyone in a community advertised through media.

I blame Bonanza for my dad wanting to be a cowboy.
ohioboy
hunter

Postby whaknstak » Fri Nov 08, 2013 11:36 am

JuniorPre 360 wrote:

If they want to be what they see on tv then go for it. Move to LA and buy a trapper license and tags, a boat and gear, and do it legal to grow a successful business. Or learn how to build duck calls, buy a warehouse, hire staff, put out a quality product and be successful in the free market. That's what they see on tv. Successful people doing business legally and ethically.

This notion that footage of them conducting their business within the law causes people in other states to poach and violate the law is nothing but nonsense. People violate the law on their own accord and should be held responsible for their own actions.

Col Jeff Cooper
whaknstak
hunter

Postby JuniorPre 360 » Fri Nov 08, 2013 11:47 am

ohioboy wrote:
JuniorPre 360 wrote:

I blame Bonanza for my dad wanting to be a cowboy.

:lol: :clapping:
JuniorPre 360
hunter

Postby JuniorPre 360 » Fri Nov 08, 2013 12:03 pm

whaknstak wrote:
JuniorPre 360 wrote:

If they want to be what they see on tv then go for it. Move to LA and buy a trapper license and tags, a boat and gear, and do it legal to grow a successful business. Or learn how to build duck calls, buy a warehouse, hire staff, put out a quality product and be successful in the free market. That's what they see on tv. Successful people doing business legally and ethically.

This notion that footage of them conducting their business within the law causes people in other states to poach and violate the law is nothing but nonsense. People violate the law on their own accord and should be held responsible for their own actions.

Again, I'm not saying because of media stars people go out and poach. I'm saying we have a lot of ignorant hunters, gun owners, and so on because of media. Because they are so ignorant, they begin to poach and do unlawful things because they have no idea. I posted a story about a guy that dropped a pelican in my area and another hunter grabbed him, the pelican, and took them both to the DNR officer in the area. How much you want to bet it was his first year hunting? I'm also wondering what influenced him to go out by himself and hunt. I could be wrong though. Maybe he did wake up that morning and randomly decide he should go hunting.

What influenced the guy at the gun counter (true story) that said "I want a 9mm I saw on TV." The worker asked, "What kind was it?" He replied, "Well, it was black and really big." The worker told him to come back and he can handle a pistol when he learns exactly what he's looking for. I saw this while filling out paper work at Sportsman's Warehouse for my wife's Glock 36. Even my wife laughed and the guy said they get that a lot.

I can honestly say that hunting 4 years ago and earlier was a lot different than it is now. I hunt a lot of public land. If it's not because of the media, why is there more face paint, ignorant hunters breaking laws, child gun experts, and crews out roaming the marshes?
JuniorPre 360
hunter

Postby ohioboy » Fri Nov 08, 2013 12:16 pm

i am a face paint painting hipster. my waders are an ironic plaid too. :sarcmark:
ohioboy
hunter

Postby Andy W » Fri Nov 08, 2013 1:09 pm

ohioboy wrote:I blame Bonanza for my dad wanting to be a cowboy.

:lol3: :lol3:

How'd it work out for him? Did he ever make it to cowboy status?
Andy W
hunter

Postby SpinnerMan » Fri Nov 08, 2013 1:29 pm

JuniorPre 360 wrote:I'm saying we have a lot of ignorant hunters, gun owners, and so on because of media.
Or the media likes to play up the ignorant hunters, gun owners because it serves their agenda? :huh:

There are MILLIONS of hunters. Simple common sense tells you that there are some idiots in any population that large.

As a group, hunters are pretty damn good people. Perfect they are not.

JuniorPre 360 wrote:I'm also wondering what influenced him to go out by himself and hunt.
Rugged individualism. It used to be admired.

People make mistakes. I'm sure you never did, but the rest. Some are pretty boneheaded, but when the population numbers in the millions, chit is just going to happen. It's not an excuse to condemn huge numbers of newbies trying to learn the sport we love.

JuniorPre 360 wrote:I can honestly say that hunting 4 years ago and earlier was a lot different than it is now. I hunt a lot of public land. If it's not because of the media, why is there more face paint, ignorant hunters breaking laws, child gun experts, and crews out roaming the marshes?
Because you are 4 years older and starting to become a grumpy old man yearning for the good old days. It's the natural course of life old man.
A politician thinks of the next election; a statesman of the next generation. A politician looks for the success of his party; a statesman for that of the country. The statesman wished to steer, while the politician was satisfied to drift.
SpinnerMan
hunter

Postby blackduckdog2 » Fri Nov 08, 2013 3:10 pm

SpinnerMan wrote:Because you are 4 years older and starting to become a grumpy old man yearning for the good old days. It's the natural course of life old man.

No doubt and I am certainly a case in point. But this is America in the 21st century……..let's not pretend that media has no impact.
"We have met the enemy, and he is us."
Walt Kelly, via Slow's avatar. Look it up
blackduckdog2
hunter

Postby SpinnerMan » Fri Nov 08, 2013 3:32 pm

blackduckdog2 wrote:
SpinnerMan wrote:Because you are 4 years older and starting to become a grumpy old man yearning for the good old days. It's the natural course of life old man.

No doubt and I am certainly a case in point. But this is America in the 21st century……..let's not pretend that media has no impact.

The media has been a part of American life for generations. It is more a follower than a leader, but not always and often kind of circular.

Of course, it depends on what do you mean by it has an impact?

You see something on TV and say, I'd like to give that a try is one thing. I will shoot an alligator some day. I like the show Swamp People. My interest in alligator hunting predates the show, but it certainly keeps it more in my mind as I live up here long from alligator country about ready to start breaking ice to chase ducks. It doesn't make me want to be a criminal. Spending a lot of time in Florida, especially in the Everglades, is what piqued my interest. I remember easing up to an alligator and flipping his tail for a better picture :eek:

My point, however, was mostly :umm: but secondarily that we really aren't good judges of these things. There are so many things that change including our perception. Is there any data to support that there really are more new hunters and why they started hunting?

There are a whole lot of people with more free time than 4 years ago. I used to work with a guy that got harrassed by the welfare recipients as he waited for his ride to work. They say "oh you're going to work today, I think I'll go fishing." They had the time to do it and we know there are a lot more people with the time now.

A politician thinks of the next election; a statesman of the next generation. A politician looks for the success of his party; a statesman for that of the country. The statesman wished to steer, while the politician was satisfied to drift.
SpinnerMan
hunter

Postby whaknstak » Fri Nov 08, 2013 3:42 pm

Spinner makes a good point. I see more people now being issued disability/welfare/unemployment licenses for hunting and fishing than ever before. Significantly more. folks will fish all day everyday for two weeks until they are tired of fishing. Once hunting season starts, they live in the woods. The rest of us go to work to pay for them to play

Col Jeff Cooper
whaknstak
hunter

Postby Rat Creek » Fri Nov 08, 2013 4:32 pm

assateague wrote:Holy hell there's some self-righteous bastards around here.

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

I was thinking the same thing.

To the people griping about the new hunters and how Duck Dynasty has caused all these problems, need I remind you that Duck Dynasty is NOT a hunting show? It is a show about a family that happens to be in the hunting supplies business. It is about the unique chemistry of the family and the silly antics. Rarely, do they show them hunting and when they do, it is not about the hunting, but about the theme of that episode. If it was about hunting, the show would be a flop.

If some inexperienced hunter is not up to par for you, it is a far stretch to blame it on Duck Dynasty. Personally, I would just blame Bush. :yes:
Rat Creek
Rat Creek
hunter

Postby ohioboy » Fri Nov 08, 2013 4:34 pm

Andy W wrote:
ohioboy wrote:I blame Bonanza for my dad wanting to be a cowboy.

:lol3: :lol3:

How'd it work out for him? Did he ever make it to cowboy status?

depends on if you ask him or anyone else.

he does have a .44.......and likes to eat chili. guess so.
ohioboy
hunter

Postby whaknstak » Fri Nov 08, 2013 7:12 pm

Rat Creek wrote:
assateague wrote:Holy hell there's some self-righteous bastards around here.

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

I was thinking the same thing.

To the people griping about the new hunters and how Duck Dynasty has caused all these problems, need I remind you that Duck Dynasty is NOT a hunting show? It is a show about a family that happens to be in the hunting supplies business. It is about the unique chemistry of the family and the silly antics. Rarely, do they show them hunting and when they do, it is not about the hunting, but about the theme of that episode. If it was about hunting, the show would be a flop.

If some inexperienced hunter is not up to par for you, it is a far stretch to blame it on Duck Dynasty. Personally, I would just blame Bush. :yes:

Bingo. The argument that CSI is to blame for the murder rate in Chicago makes about as much sense. after all its the media influencing ignorant people. They only do what they see on tv.....

Col Jeff Cooper
whaknstak
hunter

Postby jaegerfisherman » Sun Nov 10, 2013 10:44 am

Yea its a fad but everyone wants to grow there company and increase sales. If it increases hunters u just work harder. Get in there early, hunt smart, and usually u come out getting more birds than all the other hunters. I wouldn't mind more hunters being introduced to the sport if there was more public land. But with a lot of land being leased by guides and plowed under for houses there is only so much public land left . Not too many people can just go out and purchase land for duck hunting. They should set aside more public land for hunting. The thing that will kill the sport is no areas to hunt, big money for land and leased land being bought up for clubs. In my area land is being bought up more for hunt clubs.
jaegerfisherman
hunter

Postby clampdaddy » Sun Nov 10, 2013 12:17 pm

jaegerfisherman wrote: ....Not too many people can just go out and purchase land for duck hunting. They should set aside more public land for hunting. The thing that will kill the sport is no areas to hunt, big money for land and leased land being bought up for clubs. In my area land is being bought up more for hunt clubs.

Problem in my area is duck clubs being bought up and turned into closed zones.
clampdaddy
hunter

Postby ohioboy » Sun Nov 10, 2013 12:29 pm

clampdaddy wrote:
jaegerfisherman wrote: ....Not too many people can just go out and purchase land for duck hunting. They should set aside more public land for hunting. The thing that will kill the sport is no areas to hunt, big money for land and leased land being bought up for clubs. In my area land is being bought up more for hunt clubs.

Problem in my area is duck clubs being bought up and turned into closed zones.

we need some zombies to kill off a few million people, that would clear up some land. lets say, 30 million. 10% is a good start.
ohioboy
hunter

Postby boney fingers » Sun Nov 10, 2013 12:53 pm

jaegerfisherman wrote:Yea its a fad but everyone wants to grow there company and increase sales. If it increases hunters u just work harder. Get in there early, hunt smart, and usually u come out getting more birds than all the other hunters. I wouldn't mind more hunters being introduced to the sport if there was more public land. But with a lot of land being leased by guides and plowed under for houses there is only so much public land left . Not too many people can just go out and purchase land for duck hunting. They should set aside more public land for hunting. The thing that will kill the sport is no areas to hunt, big money for land and leased land being bought up for clubs. In my area land is being bought up more for hunt clubs.

In your opinion, what should a license cost to hunt? Purchasing and maintaining public land is expensive, how much are you willing to pay for that luxury (hunting is a luxury)? Whos land should we take to set aside for public hunting?
boney fingers
hunter

Postby jaegerfisherman » Sun Nov 10, 2013 1:09 pm

Im willing to pay a affordable fee. License costs keep going up because state government wastes money. Hunting is a luxery in my opinion because its big money. It doesnt have to be a luxury. I don't spend a lot on hunting. Hunt clubs costs are enormous. More and more people want to shoot a boone and crocket and could care less about the meat. Horn hunting more than going after meat to eat. All this drives the cost of hunting up. Buying quality land and making it public for hunting is the way to go
jaegerfisherman
hunter

Postby ohioboy » Sun Nov 10, 2013 1:43 pm

jaegerfisherman wrote:Im willing to pay a affordable fee. License costs keep going up because state government wastes money. Hunting is a luxery in my opinion because its big money. It doesnt have to be a luxury. I don't spend a lot on hunting. Hunt clubs costs are enormous. More and more people want to shoot a boone and crocket and could care less about the meat. Horn hunting more than going after meat to eat. All this drives the cost of hunting up. Buying quality land and making it public for hunting is the way to go

holy hell man. your ducks have horns?
ohioboy
hunter

Postby clampdaddy » Sun Nov 10, 2013 2:37 pm

jaegerfisherman wrote: ....More and more people want to shoot a boone and crocket and could care less about the meat. Horn hunting more than going after meat to eat....

I wish this were the case in where I hunt. Every shlub in the hills is ready to dirt the first barely legal buck they see.
clampdaddy
hunter

PreviousNext

Return to Controversial Issues Forum