I want to scream.

A forum not related to waterfowl for discussing the more controversial and hot topic issues in our world from immigration, politics, the war, etc..

Moderators: Smackaduck, MM

I want to scream.

Postby go get the bird » Thu Nov 07, 2013 12:44 am

I, as well as the rest of my class, was tasked with determining if there was a bias against minorities in our court systems. I read most of the other student's responses. :fingerhead:

There are more "I feel.... because I feel...." arguments than you can shake a stick at, with almost NO evidence to back them up. In almost every single response, there is at LEAST one broad, sweeping statement that is easily shot down with little more than a dozen or so keystrokes in google.

The most comical response involved this argument - "I think blacks and mexicans should get extra legal representation from the government so that they are treated fairly." :lol3: :lol3:

For God sake, do some research. It took me no more than five minutes to come up with a logical argument and explanation.

I'm betting most of these kids will vote D. Damn liberal arts college hippies. :no:
MackieKnife wrote:The moral of the story is...I'm retarded.
User avatar
go get the bird
hunter
 
Posts: 3350
Joined: Tue Oct 18, 2011 1:12 pm


Re: I want to scream.

Postby slowshooter » Thu Nov 07, 2013 1:44 am

Was the question asked without regard to law enforcement?
All this for a bowl of borscht.
User avatar
slowshooter
hunter
 
Posts: 9011
Joined: Wed Apr 05, 2006 8:44 pm
Location: San Jose, CA

Re: I want to scream.

Postby go get the bird » Thu Nov 07, 2013 7:57 am

slowshooter wrote:Was the question asked without regard to law enforcement?

More or less, but it did not specifically disregard law enforcement.
MackieKnife wrote:The moral of the story is...I'm retarded.
User avatar
go get the bird
hunter
 
Posts: 3350
Joined: Tue Oct 18, 2011 1:12 pm

Re: I want to scream.

Postby vincentpa » Thu Nov 07, 2013 8:03 am

They looks suspicious to me.
In a free society, it is not the obligation of the citizen to prove to the government that he is a good person. It is the obligation of the government to prove to the rest of the citizenry that the citizen is a bad person, with probable cause.
User avatar
vincentpa
hunter
 
Posts: 7723
Joined: Wed Nov 10, 2010 6:50 am
Location: Pittsburgh, PA

Re: I want to scream.

Postby assateague » Thu Nov 07, 2013 8:44 am

Here's a novel concept- don't break the law, and you'll never have to deal with the court system. Black, brown, yellow, white, doesn't matter. There are tens of millions of people who have never had to worry about disparate treatment from the courts. Know why? because they didn't break the law. Simple.
WOLVERINES

Give a man a fish and he eats for a day. Let a man vote to give himself a fish and he eats until society collapses.
User avatar
assateague
Emu hunter extraordinaire
 
Posts: 21277
Joined: Tue Oct 06, 2009 12:25 pm
Location: Eastern Shore, People's Republic of Maryland

Re: I want to scream.

Postby Rat Creek » Thu Nov 07, 2013 9:23 am

assateague wrote:Here's a novel concept- don't break the law, and you'll never have to deal with the court system. Black, brown, yellow, white, doesn't matter. There are tens of millions of people who have never had to worry about disparate treatment from the courts. Know why? because they didn't break the law. Simple.


Seems so simple doesn't it. :huh:

Go Get The Bird, maybe you could introduce Chris Rock to bolster your argument.

Rat Creek
Rat Creek
hunter
 
Posts: 4439
Joined: Sun Aug 01, 2004 4:11 pm
Location: Overland Park, KS

Re: I want to scream.

Postby ScaupHunter » Thu Nov 07, 2013 9:53 am

Welcome to the idiots of the next generation. They have not been taught civics, patriotism, or belief in America. They have instead been coddled and taught to worry about how they feel in place of using their brains.
Bella's
Decoy Setting Pro Staff
Boat Operator Pro Staff
Duck Shooting Pro Staff
Warm Towel Pro Staff
Snack Supply Pro Staff

He works for free! Who's the B now?
User avatar
ScaupHunter
hunter
 
Posts: 6641
Joined: Sat Mar 17, 2012 5:57 am

Re: I want to scream.

Postby stackemhigh » Thu Nov 07, 2013 11:45 am

In my personal experience and discussions I remember from law school, the court system weighs heavily against the poor. Minorities just happen to make up a disproportionate share of that demographic. There's nothing I've seen or heard about in the court system that is inherently unfair to minorities due solely to their ethnicity.
stackemhigh
hunter
 
Posts: 34
Joined: Fri Feb 08, 2013 1:42 pm

Re: I want to scream.

Postby assateague » Thu Nov 07, 2013 12:27 pm

What exactly does "weighs heavily against the poor mean", from your personal experience in law school?
WOLVERINES

Give a man a fish and he eats for a day. Let a man vote to give himself a fish and he eats until society collapses.
User avatar
assateague
Emu hunter extraordinaire
 
Posts: 21277
Joined: Tue Oct 06, 2009 12:25 pm
Location: Eastern Shore, People's Republic of Maryland

Re: I want to scream.

Postby stackemhigh » Thu Nov 07, 2013 12:36 pm

assateague wrote:What exactly does "weighs heavily against the poor mean", from your personal experience in law school?


Just that if you can't afford a lawyer and are left with a public defender, the numbers show that you're not in good shape. I graduated with a few people that ended up with the public defender and they're smart people and seem like good lawyers. But the reality is that public defenders face a massive caseload compared to those of us in the private sector and that puts them at a huge disadvantage. I'm not saying it's a big problem, or even that it's a problem that can be addressed at all. But poor people definitely don't do as well in court as somebody who can afford private counsel.
stackemhigh
hunter
 
Posts: 34
Joined: Fri Feb 08, 2013 1:42 pm

Re: I want to scream.

Postby go get the bird » Thu Nov 07, 2013 2:03 pm

stackemhigh wrote:
assateague wrote:What exactly does "weighs heavily against the poor mean", from your personal experience in law school?


Just that if you can't afford a lawyer and are left with a public defender, the numbers show that you're not in good shape. I graduated with a few people that ended up with the public defender and they're smart people and seem like good lawyers. But the reality is that public defenders face a massive caseload compared to those of us in the private sector and that puts them at a huge disadvantage. I'm not saying it's a big problem, or even that it's a problem that can be addressed at all. But poor people definitely don't do as well in court as somebody who can afford private counsel.


That was my response to the question, with the addition of fewer available resources in less fortunate neighborhoods.
MackieKnife wrote:The moral of the story is...I'm retarded.
User avatar
go get the bird
hunter
 
Posts: 3350
Joined: Tue Oct 18, 2011 1:12 pm

Re: I want to scream.

Postby assateague » Thu Nov 07, 2013 2:53 pm

In the interest of fairness, there will be no more private defense attorneys. They will all work for the government, and be assigned cases on a rotational basis.

There. Now it's fair.
WOLVERINES

Give a man a fish and he eats for a day. Let a man vote to give himself a fish and he eats until society collapses.
User avatar
assateague
Emu hunter extraordinaire
 
Posts: 21277
Joined: Tue Oct 06, 2009 12:25 pm
Location: Eastern Shore, People's Republic of Maryland

Re: I want to scream.

Postby go get the bird » Thu Nov 07, 2013 3:05 pm

assateague wrote:In the interest of fairness, there will be no more private defense attorneys. They will all work for the government, and be assigned cases on a rotational basis.

There. Now it's fair.

Who is going to pay for all of those other WTNs? :lol3:

Essentially, that's like telling a person who makes a million dollars a year that they have to drive a 1988 Honda Civic coupe, because that's the only thing the poor can afford. I guess if you're ok with having the exact same service and products as everyone else, regardless of you income, then why shouldn't we all be?

Better yet, I'll quit working so that you have to have the same quality of service as me, a person who doesn't have a pot to piss in or a window to throw it out of. :lol3:
MackieKnife wrote:The moral of the story is...I'm retarded.
User avatar
go get the bird
hunter
 
Posts: 3350
Joined: Tue Oct 18, 2011 1:12 pm

Re: I want to scream.

Postby assateague » Thu Nov 07, 2013 3:14 pm

I don't believe in "fairness". That was for the liberals, or those who would cry about the treatment of minority criminals. Personally, I won't need a lawyer, though, because if it ever comes down to it, I'm going out in a blaze of glory. Jail terrifies me.
WOLVERINES

Give a man a fish and he eats for a day. Let a man vote to give himself a fish and he eats until society collapses.
User avatar
assateague
Emu hunter extraordinaire
 
Posts: 21277
Joined: Tue Oct 06, 2009 12:25 pm
Location: Eastern Shore, People's Republic of Maryland

Re: I want to scream.

Postby go get the bird » Thu Nov 07, 2013 3:58 pm

assateague wrote:I don't believe in "fairness". That was for the liberals, or those who would cry about the treatment of minority criminals. Personally, I won't need a lawyer, though, because if it ever comes down to it, I'm going out in a blaze of glory. Jail terrifies me.


Gotcha. :lol3:
MackieKnife wrote:The moral of the story is...I'm retarded.
User avatar
go get the bird
hunter
 
Posts: 3350
Joined: Tue Oct 18, 2011 1:12 pm

Re: I want to scream.

Postby Andy W » Fri Nov 08, 2013 7:21 am

go get the bird wrote:Essentially, that's like telling a person who makes a million dollars a year that they have to drive a 1988 Honda Civic coupe, because that's the only thing the poor can afford. I guess if you're ok with having the exact same service and products as everyone else, regardless of you income, then why shouldn't we all be?

Better yet, I'll quit working so that you have to have the same quality of service as me, a person who doesn't have a pot to piss in or a window to throw it out of. :lol3:

You've just described a socialist/leftist utopia.
Andy W
hunter
 
Posts: 614
Joined: Fri Feb 08, 2008 8:30 am
Location: KY


Return to Controversial Issues Forum

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest