How Man-Made Global Warming Rapes You

A forum not related to waterfowl for discussing the more controversial and hot topic issues in our world from immigration, politics, the war, etc..

Moderators: Smackaduck, MM

Re: How Man-Made Global Warming Rapes You

Postby ScaupHunter » Fri Mar 14, 2014 4:36 pm

You do make an excellent point. He has nothing better to do with his time.

I have to say I regularly troll the liberal sites. I get them built up to a full frothing rage then disappear only to reappear under a new alias. It is highly amusing!
Bella's
Decoy Setting Pro Staff
Boat Operator Pro Staff
Duck Shooting Pro Staff
Warm Towel Pro Staff
Snack Supply Pro Staff

He works for free! Who's the B now?
ScaupHunter
hunter

Postby High Sierras » Fri Mar 14, 2014 5:13 pm

dhunt wrote:
ScaupHunter wrote:Then tell us again how many hundreds of thousands / millions of scientists all agree on something. Guess what Bubba. They are not scientists.

In the more than 12,000 peer-reviewed climate science papers, 97% have come to the same scientific conclusion : that their funding will dry up significantly if they can't convince enough water-headed liberal legislators that humans are causing Global Warming / Climate Change / Climate Variability and we that have the technology to do something to stop it.

So, yes, there is a small chance 97% are wrong. The IPCC itself says there is a 5% chance that the global warming seen over the last century is not man-made.

Yet you dumbos keep crying "I'm SURE they're wrong. There's NO WAY they're right." :fingerhead:

Fixed it for ya, You're welcome!

And what a gem you quoted about the IPCC leaving themselves that little 5% wiggle room... right up until they stopped calling it Global warming. Whoops. Did they remember to update that part of the script as well.. that they say there's now a 5% chance that 'Climate Variability is not man made either? :lol3:

Anytime 97% of a population agrees, it means only one thing... Just like the elections in North Korea. Ubfortunately, you've fallen for the hype hhok, line, & sinker. Now who's looking like the "dumbo", bee-otch?
High Sierras
hunter

Postby waterfowlman » Fri Mar 14, 2014 6:49 pm

dhunt wrote:
waterfowlman wrote:This.

1.) The 48% is completely untrue (really -- go try and find the source of the figure)
2.) 31,000 represents less than 0.3% of OISM scientists. Also, it's an online petition that anyone can sign...

Before blindly spewing out these things, do a minimum amount of research. You'll sound less stupid.

Aren't you the person that just comes over to DHC from the Vegan LGBT Atheist's website to tell us how the world works from time to time?
Rule Number One: Always use a sledge hammer to kill an ant.
waterfowlman
SIR

Postby nitram » Fri Mar 14, 2014 8:41 pm

By the same reasoning (or lack thereof) that says man is responsible for the warming of the planet. Is man not also responsible for the more recent cooling trend?
Pain or damage don't end the world. Or despair or f-ing beatings. The world ends when you're dead. Until then, you got more punishment in store. Stand it like a man... and give some back.- Al Swearengen
nitram
hunter

Postby dudejcb » Fri Mar 14, 2014 9:13 pm

ScaupHunter wrote:You do make an excellent point. He has nothing better to do with his time.

I have to say I regularly troll the liberal sites. I get them built up to a full frothing rage then disappear only to reappear under a new alias. It is highly amusing!
I think you missed Beretta's point. Further, I'll assert without fear of contradiction that you know less about Dhunt and how he occupies his time, and less about those liberals whom you think you're pimping into a frothing rage on some dweeb website, than you think.
What's so funny 'bout peace love and understanding?
dudejcb
hunter

Postby Indaswamp » Fri Mar 14, 2014 11:44 pm

dudejcb wrote:
ScaupHunter wrote:You do make an excellent point. He has nothing better to do with his time.

I think you missed Beretta's point. Further, I'll assert without fear of contradiction that you know less about Dhunt and how he occupies his time, and less about those liberals whom you think you're pimping into a frothing rage on some dweeb website, than you think.

Oh, I just figured out exactly who dhunt is...a formerly banned member trolling DHC.
The Cajun 7 Course Meal; 1 lb. of boudin and a six pack of Abita beer.

Save the Marsh, Eat a Nutria!

Indaswamp
Forum Moderator

Postby beretta24 » Sat Mar 15, 2014 5:15 am

Figured....which one?
beretta24
State Moderator

Postby nitram » Sat Mar 15, 2014 3:11 pm

dudejcb wrote:hi Spinner, err nitram.

who doesn't talk about the weather? have you taken any science classes? Are you familiar with the concepts like conservation of mass, conservation of energy, energy balance?

Yessir(?), somewhat. It's been almost 30 years since I earned a minor in chemistry and physics. I still refer to them occasionally in I H.

Ever heard of acid rain? How about mercury in most of our waters? Why do these things happen?

Yes, but neither have to do with man causing the earth to warm or cool. Speaking of acid rain, again I point to volcanoes, lightning strikes, and other 'natural' phenomena. How else are there signs of acid rain in glacial and petrified samplings? Those dog-gone pygmies and Incan's with their CO2 emissions.

sounds like you wasted 7 hours thinking you were thinking while driving, but what you were really doing was trying to make evidence conform to your beliefs.

I know and understand the reason this is actually debatable. But please remember there are two major indicators -- stratospheric cooling and the outgoing radiation measurements -- that support the idea of a slowly warming troposphere. Whether that is natural or man-made is impossible to call, for Earth has warmed before ... and has also cooled. How one could possibly know this is CO2-driven given the history of CO2 and temperatures that show there is no correlation, yet alone causation, is beyond me.
Last edited by nitram on Sat Mar 15, 2014 8:48 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Pain or damage don't end the world. Or despair or f-ing beatings. The world ends when you're dead. Until then, you got more punishment in store. Stand it like a man... and give some back.- Al Swearengen
nitram
hunter

Postby Indaswamp » Sat Mar 15, 2014 4:41 pm

beretta24 wrote:Figured....which one?

whistlingwings...
The Cajun 7 Course Meal; 1 lb. of boudin and a six pack of Abita beer.

Save the Marsh, Eat a Nutria!

Indaswamp
Forum Moderator

Postby beretta24 » Sat Mar 15, 2014 7:30 pm

Indaswamp wrote:
beretta24 wrote:Figured....which one?

whistlingwings...

What a racist thing to say.

@
beretta24
State Moderator

Postby nitram » Wed Mar 19, 2014 8:08 pm

You may have never heard of Lawrence Torcello, but he wants to put you in prison. Torcello is an assistant philosophy professor at Rochester Institute of Technology, and he wrote recently that the "well documented funding of global warming denialism" is not only wrong but "ought to be considered criminally negligent." He complains that "climate denial remains a serious deterrent against meaningful political action in the very countries most responsible for the crisis." And his solution is, "The charge of criminal and moral negligence ought to extend to all activities of the climate deniers who receive funding as part of a sustained campaign to undermine the public's understanding of scientific consensus." And here I thought science was forming and testing hypotheses, not burning heretics at the stake.
http://patriotpost.us/opinion/24143
nitram
hunter

Postby ScaupHunter » Thu Mar 20, 2014 7:44 am

Freedom is not on his list of important things for others. I for one am not surprised by that attitude at all. More than a few years ago I dealt with the same attituded from a few professors when I was in college. It comes down to arrogance, desperation by denial as their belief and system and science fails, and a deep seated inadequacy that comes from being insulated from the real world in academia.
Bella's
Decoy Setting Pro Staff
Boat Operator Pro Staff
Duck Shooting Pro Staff
Warm Towel Pro Staff
Snack Supply Pro Staff

He works for free! Who's the B now?
ScaupHunter
hunter

Postby SpinnerMan » Thu Mar 20, 2014 8:30 am

I have only run across one person that after investing their life in an idea admitted that it was probably wrong. It is beyond the ego of people who believe they are the smartest people on the planet to think that they spent their life researching something that is unworkable or wrong. It is not at all unusual to see old professors stuck on their flawed ideas after time has passed them by. And those people are typically the ones that control the money based on their experience and connections that they have cultivated over their career.

There is a reason most Nobel Prize winning ideas in science are ideas that the person developed early in their career. Scientists like most people often get stuck in their ways as they get older. Combine that with huge egos. Why do you think most of them got Ph.D.'s and didn't settle for an ordinary job? I tried to quit school at every level, but the job market kept dragging me back.

A politician thinks of the next election; a statesman of the next generation. A politician looks for the success of his party; a statesman for that of the country. The statesman wished to steer, while the politician was satisfied to drift.
SpinnerMan
hunter

Postby Andy W » Thu Mar 20, 2014 11:10 am

Sorry if this is a repost:

Climate Change / Global Warming

The Arctic Ocean is warming up, icebergs are growing scarcer and in some places the seals are finding the water too hot, according to a report to the Commerce Department yesterday from Consultant at Bergen, Norway.
Reports from fishermen, seal hunters and explorers all point to a radical change in climate conditions and hitherto unheard-of temperatures in the Arctic zone. Exploration expeditions report that scarcely any ice has been met as far north as 81 degrees 29 minutes.
Soundings to a depth of 3,100 meters showed the Gulf Stream still very warm. Great masses of ice have been replaced by moraines of earth and stones, the report continued, while at many points well known glaciers have entirely disappeared.
Very few seals and no white fish are found in the eastern Arctic, while vast shoals of herring and smelts which have never before ventured so far north, are being encountered in the old seal fishing grounds. Within a few years it is predicted that due to the ice melt the sea will rise and make most coastal cities uninhabitable.

By the way, I neglected to mention that this report was dated November 2, 1922, as reported by the AP, and published in The Washington Post.

The above confirmed by Snopes
Andy W
hunter

Postby Duck_Stank » Thu Mar 20, 2014 12:19 pm

Andy W wrote:Sorry if this is a repost:

Climate Change / Global Warming

The Arctic Ocean is warming up, icebergs are growing scarcer and in some places the seals are finding the water too hot, according to a report to the Commerce Department yesterday from Consultant at Bergen, Norway.
Reports from fishermen, seal hunters and explorers all point to a radical change in climate conditions and hitherto unheard-of temperatures in the Arctic zone. Exploration expeditions report that scarcely any ice has been met as far north as 81 degrees 29 minutes.
Soundings to a depth of 3,100 meters showed the Gulf Stream still very warm. Great masses of ice have been replaced by moraines of earth and stones, the report continued, while at many points well known glaciers have entirely disappeared.
Very few seals and no white fish are found in the eastern Arctic, while vast shoals of herring and smelts which have never before ventured so far north, are being encountered in the old seal fishing grounds. Within a few years it is predicted that due to the ice melt the sea will rise and make most coastal cities uninhabitable.

By the way, I neglected to mention that this report was dated November 2, 1922, as reported by the AP, and published in The Washington Post.

The above confirmed by Snopes

It'll be interesting to see what the future holds that's for sure.
Master of Reality
Duck_Stank
hunter

Postby dudejcb » Thu Mar 20, 2014 7:01 pm

ScaupHunter wrote:Freedom is not on his list of important things for others. I for one am not surprised by that attitude at all. More than a few years ago I dealt with the same attituded from a few professors when I was in college. It comes down to arrogance, desperation by denial as their belief and system and science fails, and a deep seated inadequacy that comes from being insulated from the real world in academia.

Clearly Mr. Torcello's rhetoric is over the top. It may be he's trying to make a point that you are missing, or don't wish to consider.

First, let's put aside and forget the blather that liberals or moderates don't like freedom, or are dumb, or believe in magic, so we can discuss/explore our thoughts about Mr. Torcello's statements without the usual DHC stereotypical baggage.

We're all free to do as we please pretty much unfettered in this country, unless what we're doing affects others negatively, in a real sense damaging others. You can drive your car how you wish so long as you don't put others at risk, hence laws against speeding, drunk or reckless driving; restrictions are placed on our freedoms all the time for good reasons that we all understand, and if the situation is serious enough incarceration is one of the standard punishments.

So, do you suppose that perhaps Torcello is over-playing his argument to make a point? What about the company manager who authorized the release of benzene fumes in Buffalo's air shed and was just sentenced to a year in jail plus a $20,000 fine. All he did was exercise his freedoms to do as he thought best. and now he's going to jail for it. http://www.ohio.com/news/nation/new-york-coke-plant-fined-12-5-million-for-polluting-1.474595?comments=n

Benzene is bad stuff, and we use a lot of in various industrial processes. From the American cancer society: "Benzene is known to cause cancer, based on evidence from studies in both people and lab animals. The link between benzene and cancer has largely focused on leukemia and cancers of other blood cells."

Carbon Dioxide obviously is not toxic itself and certainly not in the same class as benzene. Perhaps however, Torcello is just connecting the widely dispersed dots that he feels make a compelling case for climate change (CC), and pointing to the potential negative impacts that it is predicted to impose on many people, if said dire predictions materialize. And, if it becomes clear the anthropomorphic CO2 emissions are the root culprit causing the damage, and it can be shown that certain companies, countries, or persons are guilty of especially egregious actions that harm others, then applying the our well worn pattern of our laws the guilty party or parties, is the usual procedure. So the logic is well established in law. Torcelli is perhaps being a bit hyperbolic to make a point about the seriousness of CC and how we all contribute to the problem to one degree or another.

He exaggerating to make a point about carbon, it's potentially deadly, game changing potential, and applying the same rules as in the willful release of benzene case.
What's so funny 'bout peace love and understanding?
dudejcb
hunter

Postby cartervj » Fri Mar 21, 2014 10:37 am

dudejcb wrote:First, let's put aside and forget the blather that liberals or moderates don't like freedom, or are dumb, or believe in magic, so we can discuss/explore our thoughts about Mr. Torcello's statements without the usual DHC stereotypical baggage.

We're all free to do as we please pretty much unfettered in this country, unless what we're doing affects others negatively, in a real sense damaging others. You can drive your car how you wish so long as you don't put others at risk, hence laws against speeding, drunk or reckless driving; restrictions are placed on our freedoms all the time for good reasons that we all understand, and if the situation is serious enough incarceration is one of the standard punishments.

Then who are those politicians that are trying to take the rights of law abiding citizens away? You know the ones proposing gun restrictions, magazine capacity etc.........

one big guess, they have a D beside their name

Did you know the Westboro wacko preacher was a Democrat? check it out :welcome:

Hey thanks Connecticut, we just landed Remington Arms in Madison, AL :thumbsup:
“Nothing makes me more certain of the victory of our ideas than our success in the universities” – Adolf H, 1930
cartervj
hunter

Postby SpinnerMan » Fri Mar 21, 2014 11:05 am

Unlike Benzene, nobody KNOWS if CO2 is bad stuff or good stuff on aggregate.

Do you know what the optimum global average temperature is?

Actually, what we do know is that there is not one optimum for every person or every country. We also know that most of the determination of what is good and bad is based on a subjective value judgment.

Even benzene emission standards are set based on subjective value judgments. If the factory that is releasing the benzene or could release it in the case of an accident had no value to the community, then the standard would be ZERO emissions and ZERO risk of accidental releases. If the factory has astronomical value to the community and no practical way to achieve low standards, a much higher release will be the standard for that community. Of course, violation of those standards is criminal activity and the punishment should be sufficient to be an effective deterrent, but there is nothing that is the perfect deterrent.

The same reason we allow some benzene emissions is the same reason we will always allow CO2 emissions at some level. There is benefits of using or creating the material. That has to be traded off against the harm.

Unlike benzene, CO2 has some positive benefits as well as potential negative effects. These effects are simply not well understood. Maybe the chicken littles will be proven correct, but it is not sound science to treat the worst case scenario as if it were scientific fact. It is a risk and different people have different opinions of the acceptable level of risk.

Arrogant asses like this clown Torello mistake their opinion and preferences for facts. Opinions are like a$$holes, everyone has one. A$$holes think their opinions are the only ones.
A politician thinks of the next election; a statesman of the next generation. A politician looks for the success of his party; a statesman for that of the country. The statesman wished to steer, while the politician was satisfied to drift.
SpinnerMan
hunter

Postby SpinnerMan » Mon Mar 24, 2014 6:09 am

Another way that man-made global warming is raping us.

http://www.motherjones.com/environment/2014/03/climate-change-malaysia-airlines-370-search
One Reason It May Be Harder to Find Flight 370: We Messed Up the Currents

It's actually not a bad article despite the headline.

Oceans are important to predicting global warming and look how little the understand about them.
"Over the 20 years, since 1993, we've seen the current shift southward by about half a degree of latitude, or about 30 or 40 miles or so, on average," Rintoul says. That may not sound like a lot, but it has substantially altered our understanding of the oceans here. Previously, it was thought these mega-currents were locked into the trenches and mountains of the deep sea floor, says Rintoul, in the same way poured molten metal must conform to a mold. "It was a surprise to see them shifting at all. In some regions the shifts are much greater, up to 400 miles."

Yet, they are certain that catastrophe is going to ensue despite such a lack of fundamental understanding of important features. :fingerhead:

All models are wrong, but some are useful. In this case their model was useless :huh:

But it's that very deepness, coldness, and power that allows these oceans to absorb so much of the heat that manmade climate change is generating. "The Southern Ocean takes up something like 70 percent—plus or minus 30 percent—of all the anthropogenic heat that goes under the ocean," says Russell. "This is one of the few areas of the global ocean that is immediately and definitely playing a role in the temperature on land, because it's taking up all this anthropogenic heat and carbon. The whole ocean is doing that, but here it's doing it more than it ought to, which is giving us a moment of grace."

This may well turn out to be true. Which would be unfortunate because they never learned their childhood lessons about running around crying wolf because once your credibility is shot, if the wolf does come, no one will believe you.

But Russell warns there still so many more secrets to unlock before we can truly understand how we are changing some of Earth's most powerful systems.

If that was the message put forth by the warmers, we would be in a much better place. While I don't believe the aggregate effect will be catastrophic or even significantly negative, but most likely slightly positive. However, I am not so arrogant to say we can rule out much with the level of certainty that we should. Not knowing with certainty something so important to daily life, weather and climate are undoubtedly important to daily life, it is the kind of thing that we should be researching with government funds because the societal benefits are very broad and the ability to capitalized those benefits is essentially negligible.
SpinnerMan
hunter

Postby assateague » Mon Mar 24, 2014 7:56 am

It was a shock to me about 6 months ago when I learned that there were now 5 oceans, instead of only 4.
WOLVERINES

Give a man a fish and he eats for a day. Let a man vote to give himself a fish and he eats until society collapses.
assateague
Emu hunter extraordinaire

Postby SpinnerMan » Mon Mar 24, 2014 8:16 am

We lost a planet, but we got an ocean.

Seems like a good trade. I was never going to go to Pluto, but I might make it to all the oceans some day.
SpinnerMan
hunter

Previous

Return to Controversial Issues Forum