Quote of the Day...11/22/2013

A forum not related to waterfowl for discussing the more controversial and hot topic issues in our world from immigration, politics, the war, etc..

Moderators: Smackaduck, MM

Re: Quote of the Day...11/22/2013

Postby Indaswamp » Thu Nov 28, 2013 8:00 pm

Glimmerjim wrote:
Indaswamp wrote: still amazes me the number of liberals that don't know about the 1921 depression.....

It was a rhetorical question, Inda, but it still amazes me the number of conservatives who believe they have the answers to questions that are both complex and still in question amongst multitudes of scholars that have devoted their lives to understanding them. That, indeed, is the Achille's Heel of Conservatism.

study monetary policy. Most liberals are die hard Keynesians.
The Cajun 7 Course Meal; 1 lb. of boudin and a six pack of Abita beer.

Save the Marsh, Eat a Nutria!

Never fart in your waders, it'll give you WORTS.
Indaswamp
Forum Moderator

Postby Glimmerjim » Thu Nov 28, 2013 8:08 pm

Indaswamp wrote:
Glimmerjim wrote:
Indaswamp wrote: still amazes me the number of liberals that don't know about the 1921 depression.....

It was a rhetorical question, Inda, but it still amazes me the number of conservatives who believe they have the answers to questions that are both complex and still in question amongst multitudes of scholars that have devoted their lives to understanding them. That, indeed, is the Achille's Heel of Conservatism.

I'm familiar with Keynesianism. My point is that there is simply no agreement that it was the cause of the Depression. Many learned people argue quite the opposite. I, too, could say "Study more and you'll understand." It's a tactic more of evasion than explanation. Further, we could post links back and forth supporting our own theories until the cows are comfortably bedded down. That does not make one superior in knowledge to the other, just more desperate to be felt to be right.
Glimmerjim
hunter

Postby Indaswamp » Thu Nov 28, 2013 8:39 pm

Glimmerjim wrote:
Indaswamp wrote:
Glimmerjim wrote:

I'm familiar with Keynesianism. My point is that there is simply no agreement that it was the cause of the Depression. Many learned people argue quite the opposite. I, too, could say "Study more and you'll understand." It's a tactic more of evasion than explanation. Further, we could post links back and forth supporting our own theories until the cows are comfortably bedded down. That does not make one superior in knowledge to the other, just more desperate to be felt to be right.

that was my short answer on thanksgiving at a party...
The Cajun 7 Course Meal; 1 lb. of boudin and a six pack of Abita beer.

Save the Marsh, Eat a Nutria!

Never fart in your waders, it'll give you WORTS.
Indaswamp
Forum Moderator

Postby Glimmerjim » Thu Nov 28, 2013 10:05 pm

Indaswamp wrote:
Glimmerjim wrote:
Indaswamp wrote:
Glimmerjim wrote:

that was my short answer on thanksgiving at a party...

I hear ya! :beer: Happy Thanksgiving, Inda!
Glimmerjim
hunter

Postby clampdaddy » Thu Nov 28, 2013 10:31 pm

SpinnerMan wrote:
clampdaddy wrote:
SpinnerMan wrote: .....I think the sheep dog/sheep analogy put forth by Vince, I think, applies......

My name is Matt. :thumbsup:

Oops. Sorry. But I think it is a good one.

Thanks.

SpinnerMan wrote: ......The Democrat leaders see themselves as the sheep dogs and their base as the sheep and they definitely feel the need to build a fence to keep their sheep community organized for their benefit. After all is the sheep dog really protecting the sheep or just making sure they stay safe until they are sheered and/or slaughtered by the right person? :huh:

I agree, if you go to the Democrat sheepdog communities, they are well trained, but if you go to the Democrat sheep communities they are horribly educated. So badly so that they don't realize that they are not part of the sheep dog class, yet they don't work for their dinner. They are dinner.

You pretty much hit what I was thinking with the main difference I see being that I think the progressive (big government republicans included) leaders are the shepherds. They use the sheep and keep them safe only for their advantage , whereas the sheepdog works to keep the sheep safe because that is what it cares about, not the profit from the fleecing.
clampdaddy
hunter

Postby assateague » Fri Nov 29, 2013 12:11 pm

Glimmerjim wrote:

And you think liberals do NOT "believe they have the answers to questions that are both complex and still in question amongst multitudes of scholars"?

******, please. You better go look in the mirror.

I would point to "reality" as the Achilles heel of liberalism.
WOLVERINES

Give a man a fish and he eats for a day. Let a man vote to give himself a fish and he eats until society collapses.
assateague
Emu hunter extraordinaire

Postby Glimmerjim » Fri Nov 29, 2013 1:30 pm

Glimmerjim wrote: It was a rhetorical question, Inda, but it still amazes me the number of conservatives who believe they have the answers to questions that are both complex and still in question amongst multitudes of scholars that have devoted their lives to understanding them. That, indeed, is the Achille's Heel of Conservatism.

assateague wrote: And you think liberals do NOT "believe they have the answers to questions that are both complex and still in question amongst multitudes of scholars"?

Nope. I don't believe that for a second.

assateague wrote: ******, please. You better go look in the mirror.

We can take it in a personal direction if so desired. 99% of the time that I post something in contradiction to another I explicitly state that it is simply my opinion. 99% of the time that I pose a question it is to see what others think of it and simply gain information.
And to generalize about liberals is pretty much a fool's errand to begin with. My wife has cookie cutters that produce more variance than the conservative outlook. Why does FOX News have a large viewership? Because their viewers all think EXACTLY the same. Why spread the viewership through two or more sources?
My mirror reflects me. Your mirror reflects one of a million. Welcome to the club, just be sure to mind the dress code.
Glimmerjim
hunter

Postby clampdaddy » Fri Nov 29, 2013 2:13 pm

Glimmerjim wrote: ....Why does FOX News have a large viewership?....

Because MSNBC has such a small viewership? :lol3: Seriously though, until Glenn Beck had his own network, Fox was the one and only network that wasn' biased toward the left. It's bound to pull high numbers just from people who don't want to see guys like Sharpton and Mathews.
clampdaddy
hunter

Postby assateague » Fri Nov 29, 2013 3:00 pm

Glimmerjim wrote:

Glimmerjim wrote: It was a rhetorical question, Inda, but it still amazes me the number of conservatives who believe they have the answers to questions that are both complex and still in question amongst multitudes of scholars that have devoted their lives to understanding them. That, indeed, is the Achille's Heel of Conservatism.

assateague wrote: And you think liberals do NOT "believe they have the answers to questions that are both complex and still in question amongst multitudes of scholars"?

We can take it in a personal direction if so desired. 99% of the time that I post something in contradiction to another I explicitly state that it is simply my opinion. 99% of the time that I pose a question it is to see what others think of it and simply gain information.
And to generalize about liberals is pretty much a fool's errand to begin with. My wife has cookie cutters that produce more variance than the conservative outlook. Why does FOX News have a large viewership? Because their viewers all think EXACTLY the same. Why spread the viewership through two or more sources?
My mirror reflects me. Your mirror reflects one of a million. Welcome to the club, just be sure to mind the dress code.

:lol3: :lol3: :lol3: :lol3: :lol3: :lol3:

So if you don't believe that liberals think they have the answers, why do you support so many of their solutions which they seek to impose?

And it's ok for you to generalize about conservatives, but not the other way around. Got it. Careful your unicorn doesn't crack his horn on your rainbow, Mr. Individual Free Spirit.
WOLVERINES

Give a man a fish and he eats for a day. Let a man vote to give himself a fish and he eats until society collapses.
assateague

Postby Glimmerjim » Fri Nov 29, 2013 5:54 pm

clampdaddy wrote:
Glimmerjim wrote: ....Why does FOX News have a large viewership?....

Because MSNBC has such a small viewership? :lol3: Seriously though, until Glenn Beck had his own network, Fox was the one and only network that wasn' biased toward the left. It's bound to pull high numbers just from people who don't want to see guys like Sharpton and Mathews.

I know, cd, but I sincerely believe that if the right wasn't so in lockstep there would be more platforms to express various nuances. Don't be rough on Mathews. I like him! (as if that lends him credibility! :lol3: ) He can without a doubt be an overbearing host that gives no opportunity for rebuttal, but he has a LOT of experience in the political world, is the most conservative of the MSNBC crew, has a brother that is a staunch and recognized Republican, and leads, from all outward signs, a moral life committed to his opinions and his family. He famously said, after the 2004 DNC, "We have just seen the first black president."
As opposed to some other heavyweight conservative TV commentator whose name I am in too much of a Rush to recall, that has NO political experience and No sense of morality that I have yet to witness.
Now, in re to the esteemed Rev Al Sharpton, I really hate to soil the page with my thoughts! How he graduated 6th grade is the most critical statement I will ever proffer regarding our educational system! :lol3:
Glimmerjim
hunter

Postby Glimmerjim » Fri Nov 29, 2013 6:13 pm

assateague wrote:
Glimmerjim wrote:

:lol3: :lol3: :lol3: :lol3: :lol3: :lol3:

So if you don't believe that liberals think they have the answers, why do you support so many of their solutions which they seek to impose?

And it's ok for you to generalize about conservatives, but not the other way around. Got it. Careful your unicorn doesn't crack his horn on your rainbow, Mr. Individual Free Spirit.

:lol3: No, seriously, I agree. We both (cons and libs) tend to way over-generalize about each other. I do feel, however, by their very definitions that liberals are less inclined to follow the company line than conservatives. Why do I support so many issues that the liberals want to impose? I do some, I don't some. I will paraphrase an old saying that expresses my feelings...."Anyone 18 that is not a liberal doesn't have a heart. Anyone 35 that is not a conservative still has his heart."
Glimmerjim
hunter

Postby clampdaddy » Fri Nov 29, 2013 6:43 pm

I don't think that's how that quote went Jim. :lol3:

The "company line" that you see on the conservative side is easy to explain. When the left is charging off in five different directions at the same time, most conservatives would rather we slow down, look at history, see what works and what doesn't, maybe actually try enforcing the laws that are already on the books before we go changing things again.
clampdaddy
hunter

Postby Glimmerjim » Fri Nov 29, 2013 7:21 pm

clampdaddy wrote:I don't think that's how that quote went Jim. :lol3:

The "company line" that you see on the conservative side is easy to explain. When the left is charging off in five different directions at the same time, most conservatives would rather we slow down, look at history, see what works and what doesn't, maybe actually try enforcing the laws that are already on the books before we go changing things again.

Were conservatism as sane and simple and humanitarianly purpose-directed as that, Matt, I would have a tattoo of RReagan on my forehead! :lol3: Not to say that liberals stick to the gist or the best of their platforms, either! Therefore, my forehead is tattoo free! Except for the Stones tongue, of course! :lol3: Took a trip a couple of weekends ago to see Ronnie Wood and Mick Taylor in a little bar in NYC. Good show dedicated to the music of a recently deceased bluesman. Ronnie's a lovable goof! Mick Taylor? Aloof at best.
Glimmerjim
hunter

Postby clampdaddy » Fri Nov 29, 2013 8:26 pm

Glimmerjim wrote:

Were conservatism as sane and simple and humanitarianly purpose-directed as that, Matt, I would have a tattoo of RReagan on my forehead! :lol3: Not to say that liberals stick to the gist or the best of their platforms, either! Therefore, my forehead is tattoo free! Except for the Stones tongue, of course! :lol3: Took a trip a couple of weekends ago to see Ronnie Wood and Mick Taylor in a little bar in NYC. Good show dedicated to the music of a recently deceased bluesman. Ronnie's a lovable goof! Mick Taylor? Aloof at best.

I'd like to see NYC one day........but hell, I've only been to Frisco a couple times and its only a stones throw away so I doubt I'll ever hit the big apple. :lol3:
clampdaddy
hunter

Postby Glimmerjim » Fri Nov 29, 2013 8:55 pm

clampdaddy wrote:
Glimmerjim wrote:

I'd like to see NYC one day........but hell, I've only been to Frisco a couple times and its only a stones throw away so I doubt I'll ever hit the big apple. :lol3:

Central Park is really amazingly beautiful. Everything in NYC seems to have a story. Wandering around you are just whisked from one thought to another because almost every stone, walk, or tree in it has been in a movie or a novel or a song or just part of common dialogue. Just be sure to take a credit card with a decent balance! Went into a pretty well-known cheesecake shop and picked one up. About $40 later! Fish and chips for two with a Guinness in an old Irish pub? Around $50 after tip. It's a bit of culture shock even for a Californian!
You're a young guy, Matt. You can see anything you want to. :thumbsup:
Glimmerjim
hunter

Postby blackduckdog2 » Fri Nov 29, 2013 9:19 pm

Glimmerjim wrote:
clampdaddy wrote:
Glimmerjim wrote:

Central Park is really amazingly beautiful. Everything in NYC seems to have a story. Wandering around you are just whisked from one thought to another because almost every stone, walk, or tree in it has been in a movie or a novel or a song or just part of common dialogue. Just be sure to take a credit card with a decent balance! Went into a pretty well-known cheesecake shop and picked one up. About $40 later! Fish and chips for two with a Guinness in an old Irish pub? Around $50 after tip. It's a bit of culture shock even for a Californian!

The most amazing thing about NYC to me is how in hell in hell so many beautiful things can exist in a place so basically ugly (imho, of course. But it's like you say, Central Park is beautiful, the Met's beautiful, the bridges are beautiful even if the Brooklyn Bridge is overrated as architecture……. the list goes on and on but that city, in its totality as an urban landscape, is one of the ugliest places I've ever been)
"We have met the enemy, and he is us."
Walt Kelly, via Slow's avatar. Look it up
blackduckdog2
hunter

Postby blackduckdog2 » Fri Nov 29, 2013 9:46 pm

Wait………The skyline's pretty awesome (but even that's just a 2 dimensional misrepresentation of the most god-awful urban canyons in the world)
blackduckdog2
hunter

Postby beretta24 » Fri Nov 29, 2013 9:58 pm

blackduckdog2 wrote:Wait………The skyline's pretty awesome (but even that's just a 2 dimensional misrepresentation of the most god-awful urban canyons in the world)

Don't forget the people...a few cuties, and some of the most God forsaken people on earth.
beretta24
State Moderator

Postby assateague » Fri Nov 29, 2013 10:00 pm

Never had a big desire to go to NYC. For me, certain times "click" with certain places. While I'm certain it's idealized, and only personal opinion, I would've liked to go to Chicago in the 20s, New York in the 30s, Hollywood in the 40s, suburbia in the 50s, and San Fran in the 60s. While I've been to most of these places, and enjoyed them, the times and places in my "ideal" visits aren't interchangeable, at least in my mind.

Maybe doesn't make sense.
WOLVERINES

assateague

Postby blackduckdog2 » Fri Nov 29, 2013 11:16 pm

assateague wrote:Never had a big desire to go to NYC. For me, certain times "click" with certain places. While I'm certain it's idealized, and only personal opinion, I would've liked to go to Chicago in the 20s, New York in the 30s, Hollywood in the 40s, suburbia in the 50s, and San Fran in the 60s. While I've been to most of these places, and enjoyed them, the times and places in my "ideal" visits aren't interchangeable, at least in my mind.

Where do you think it's happening right now, in 2013? Seattle's been on a pretty definitive tear for awhile now, and while I don't expect it'll achieve the sort of iconoclastic stature you've linked up in your examples, I've definitely had the feeling that I'm sitting in the middle of some serious American history in the making, although I can't guess what its ultimate significance might be
blackduckdog2
hunter

Postby clampdaddy » Fri Nov 29, 2013 11:28 pm

Another place I really want to see is New Bedford Mass.. It's where some of my family first settled when they came over. I hear its a rough neighborhood but what the hell, if I'm going all the way across the country I might as well get the full experience and duke it out with some drunk Irishman in a sh!thole pub, like my grandma's brothers used to do. :lol3:
clampdaddy
hunter

Postby clampdaddy » Fri Nov 29, 2013 11:34 pm

assateague wrote:Never had a big desire to go to NYC. For me, certain times "click" with certain places. While I'm certain it's idealized, and only personal opinion, I would've liked to go to Chicago in the 20s, New York in the 30s, Hollywood in the 40s, suburbia in the 50s, and San Fran in the 60s. While I've been to most of these places, and enjoyed them, the times and places in my "ideal" visits aren't interchangeable, at least in my mind.

Totally makes sence. Only thing I'd change is that I'd rather see San Fran in the 1840's.
clampdaddy
hunter

Postby blackduckdog2 » Fri Nov 29, 2013 11:39 pm

clampdaddy wrote:Another place I really want to see is New Bedford Mass.. It's where some of my family first settled when they came over. I hear its a rough neighborhood but what the hell, if I'm going all the way across the country I might as well get the full experience and duke it out with some drunk Irishman in a sh!thole pub, like my grandma's brothers used to do. :lol3:

Brush up on your Portuguese if you're going to New Bedford……..and I could give you a list of great Southie bars in Boston to get beat up in. (leave your orange Cabela's hat at home, trust me…)
blackduckdog2
hunter

Postby clampdaddy » Sat Nov 30, 2013 12:02 am

blackduckdog2 wrote:
clampdaddy wrote:Another place I really want to see is New Bedford Mass.. It's where some of my family first settled when they came over. I hear its a rough neighborhood but what the hell, if I'm going all the way across the country I might as well get the full experience and duke it out with some drunk Irishman in a sh!thole pub, like my grandma's brothers used to do. :lol3:

Brush up on your Portuguese if you're going to New Bedford……..and I could give you a list of great Southie bars in Boston to get beat up in. (leave your orange Cabela's hat at home, trust me…)

Nah, I'll try to find a Irishman to fight while I'm in New Bedford. That way at least I'll have a bar room full of Portagees on my side if sh!t goes really bad. Taking some lumps is one thing, but I don't want my head sitting on a Southie bar while the rest of me is in the alley. :lol3:
clampdaddy
hunter

Postby Glimmerjim » Sat Nov 30, 2013 12:04 am

blackduckdog2 wrote:
Glimmerjim wrote:
clampdaddy wrote:
Glimmerjim wrote:

The most amazing thing about NYC to me is how in hell in hell so many beautiful things can exist in a place so basically ugly (imho, of course. But it's like you say, Central Park is beautiful, the Met's beautiful, the bridges are beautiful even if the Brooklyn Bridge is overrated as architecture……. the list goes on and on but that city, in its totality as an urban landscape, is one of the ugliest places I've ever been)

I think it boils down to taste, wealth and culture, BDD2. No matter what Mick says, poverty ain't that picturesque! :lol3:
Glimmerjim
hunter

PreviousNext

Return to Controversial Issues Forum