Quote of the Day...11/22/2013

A forum not related to waterfowl for discussing the more controversial and hot topic issues in our world from immigration, politics, the war, etc..

Moderators: Smackaduck, MM

Re: Quote of the Day...11/22/2013

Postby SpinnerMan » Sat Nov 30, 2013 8:12 am

Glimmerjim wrote:I do feel, however, by their very definitions that liberals are less inclined to follow the company line than conservatives.
You will never see a Tea Party type movement within the liberals. It is NOT in their nature. It is how they like to see themselves, but you simply will not see the kind of civil war that is going on in the Republican party between the establishment and the RINOs that you see. You mentioned how Matthews seems moral and I agree, but what about Ted Kennedy, Bill Clinton, or so many other heroes of the Democrats. Was there some liberal outrage over these people? What about the wholesale destruction of Detroit? Were liberals outraged? Liberals by their emotional nature have the ability to ignore facts that are difficult for them. Their views are personal. Holding those views are part of their self-identity and their "goodness" and caring. For conservatives, our views are not personal, they are practical. Do they work? Will they work? Holding a position that does not work, does not make us a bad person. It just makes us wrong and everybody is wrong, learn and move on. Granted many self-styled conservatives are just as emotional and being wrong is tough for the same reason.

The problem is that politicians by their nature want power and the only problems they see as top priority is how do they get it, keep it, and expand it. We too often equate politicians with those engaged like people here (as opposed to the mindless low to zero information voters). That's true regardless of whether they run a Republican, Democrat, Libertarian, etc. and we all get duped by these liars, as I said we are all wrong from time to time, and we are not as skeptical as we should be especially when being told what we want to hear and we really believe a good looking guy when he says he is going to transform things, but you can keep what you have if you like it even though they are contradictory.

blackduckdog2 wrote:Wait………The skyline's pretty awesome (but even that's just a 2 dimensional misrepresentation of the most god-awful urban canyons in the world)

Have you ever driven in the city? I did it once. Holy freakin' crap. I drive in Chicago all the time. First time in NYC :eek: Everybody is aggressive.The cars, the bikes, the pedestrians, ... Freaking insane.

However, I do think everybody should go at least once. DC, San Fran, Chicago, NYC, New Orleans, Boston, Philadelphia, am I forgetting any? I love DC. That's definitely #1. Somebody needs to get me a tour of the White House. That's the one thing that I really want to do and never have.

I was in DC for a conference before 9/11/01 and they had public tours of the White House. I looked at the schedule and decided I could blow of Tuesday AM, so I got up early and was going to be first in line for the White House tour. Yep, I was first in line standing right in front of the sign that said No Tours on Tuesday :sad: Oh well, next time. Next time was after 9/11/01 and now there are no public tours ever without being part of a preplanned group. So it's still possible, but much harder. I want to do this so badly that I may one day volunteer for the nuclear professional society that has their big conference in DC every other year so I can organize the social tours and guess where we will go :yes: Too busy to do that right now, but some day.
A politician thinks of the next election; a statesman of the next generation. A politician looks for the success of his party; a statesman for that of the country. The statesman wished to steer, while the politician was satisfied to drift.
SpinnerMan
hunter

Postby Glimmerjim » Sat Nov 30, 2013 12:14 pm

assateague wrote:Never had a big desire to go to NYC. For me, certain times "click" with certain places. While I'm certain it's idealized, and only personal opinion, I would've liked to go to Chicago in the 20s, New York in the 30s, Hollywood in the 40s, suburbia in the 50s, and San Fran in the 60s. While I've been to most of these places, and enjoyed them, the times and places in my "ideal" visits aren't interchangeable, at least in my mind.

Maybe doesn't make sense.

No. It makes perfect sense. The only one I actually saw that you referred to was SF in the sixties, but I was too young to really capture and understand the ambiance. That's true of many things in my life. I just didn't appreciate and savor them enough at the time. I'm sure that's true for everyone, though. Some authors, the ones I most appreciate, seem to be able to transport themselves to a place and a time and express the nuances that allow us to "visit" them in their days of fame or infamy. Wish I had that talent!
Glimmerjim
hunter

Postby assateague » Sat Nov 30, 2013 2:18 pm

It may not even be possible to savor them at the moment, I suspect. I fully realize I have mental images which are idealized constructs. With me at least, often the passage of time is the seasoning which makes things taste better.
WOLVERINES

Give a man a fish and he eats for a day. Let a man vote to give himself a fish and he eats until society collapses.
assateague
Emu hunter extraordinaire

Postby Glimmerjim » Sat Nov 30, 2013 3:17 pm

assateague wrote:It may not even be possible to savor them at the moment, I suspect. I fully realize I have mental images which are idealized constructs. With me at least, often the passage of time is the seasoning which makes things taste better.

You've got a point there, AT. It's like watching the highlights of a football game and thinking "that must have been the most exciting 3 hours in history!" Well, no, but those were 30 exciting seconds! :lol3:
Glimmerjim
hunter

Postby Glimmerjim » Sat Nov 30, 2013 3:28 pm

assateague wrote:Never had a big desire to go to NYC. For me, certain times "click" with certain places. While I'm certain it's idealized, and only personal opinion, I would've liked to go to Chicago in the 20s, New York in the 30s, Hollywood in the 40s, suburbia in the 50s, and San Fran in the 60s. While I've been to most of these places, and enjoyed them, the times and places in my "ideal" visits aren't interchangeable, at least in my mind.

Maybe doesn't make sense.

Suburbia in the 50's. Sometime take a look at a book called "Populace" by Thomas Hine. "The look and life of America in the '50s and '60s, from tailfins and TV dinners to Barbie dolls and fallout shelters." Pretty fascinating and insightful view, with just a few little commentaries tucked in to keep it fun reading.
Glimmerjim
hunter

Previous

Return to Controversial Issues Forum