Why California is the way it is.

A forum not related to waterfowl for discussing the more controversial and hot topic issues in our world from immigration, politics, the war, etc..

Moderators: Smackaduck, MM

Re: Why California is the way it is.

Postby ScaupHunter » Wed Nov 27, 2013 2:19 pm

Exactly!

That is why it is awesome. Get into the cities in Cali and you might as well be in a war zone in some areas.
Bella's
Decoy Setting Pro Staff
Boat Operator Pro Staff
Duck Shooting Pro Staff
Warm Towel Pro Staff
Snack Supply Pro Staff

He works for free! Who's the B now?
ScaupHunter
hunter

Postby SpinnerMan » Wed Nov 27, 2013 2:31 pm

My wife and I stayed in Crescent City for a weekend. That's the only time I've been in the area, but it is an amazing beautiful place.
A politician thinks of the next election; a statesman of the next generation. A politician looks for the success of his party; a statesman for that of the country. The statesman wished to steer, while the politician was satisfied to drift.
SpinnerMan
hunter

Postby Glimmerjim » Wed Nov 27, 2013 2:32 pm

SpinnerMan wrote: So you are saying that Californians in general want the border enforced effectively, but wouldn't that kill all those greedy California businessmen that are unwilling to pay a living wage to Americans so they disregard the law and engaged in organized criminal activity?

Trust me, Spinner. That little quandary is being addressed daily. As is WalMart's unwillingness to do the same. WalMart has simply found legal methods to make everyone else pay for their employees. So, we are subsidizing WalMart while bemoaning taxes and entitlement programs. Interesting construct.
Glimmerjim
hunter

Postby Glimmerjim » Wed Nov 27, 2013 2:39 pm

SpinnerMan wrote:My wife and I stayed in Crescent City for a weekend. That's the only time I've been in the area, but it is an amazing beautiful place.

CA is an incredibly beautiful area of the world for the most part, with obviously more geographical diversity than any other place on earth that I can easily think of. What place in a free country with such attributes would not expect to have many issues based solely on the desirability of living there? To all those who say they would never live here, to me that's just one more check on the "To Do List". :yes:
Glimmerjim
hunter

Postby Glimmerjim » Wed Nov 27, 2013 2:41 pm

ScaupHunter wrote:Exactly!

That is why it is awesome. Get into the cities in Cali and you might as well be in a war zone in some areas.

But scaup, show me the states with large urban areas that are vastly different.
Glimmerjim
hunter

Postby SpinnerMan » Wed Nov 27, 2013 2:53 pm

Glimmerjim wrote:
SpinnerMan wrote: So you are saying that Californians in general want the border enforced effectively, but wouldn't that kill all those greedy California businessmen that are unwilling to pay a living wage to Americans so they disregard the law and engaged in organized criminal activity?

Trust me, Spinner. That little quandary is being addressed daily. As is WalMart's unwillingness to do the same. WalMart has simply found legal methods to make everyone else pay for their employees. So, we are subsidizing WalMart while bemoaning taxes and entitlement programs. Interesting construct.

How is it being addressed daily in California? Double speak, I suspect. :yes:

I have an easy solution to stop the subsidy of low paid employees. Stop subsidies in all forms. :thumbsup:

They do wildly more harm than good. Means testing sounds good, but when your pay goes up, they punish you by taking away your benefits and it creates a trap. If you are below the trap, working a second job, taking classes at night, etc. to make a slow steady economic advance has almost no value, so why put all this effort in when you net so little? On the other hand, if you are well past the trap, there is not a disincentive to make more money and when the really high tax rates start kicking in, you make so much it is easy to avoid paying these rates. This helps keep a gap between the have's and the have not's as you all like to refer to them. The last thing on earth the party of the poor can tolerate is people prospering. It will just kill their political base and no politician will ever do anything that endangers their power.

So who really wants to subsidize the Walmart workers? The ones that benefit from keeping them low skilled and low paid or the people that benefit from them moving up the economic ladder? :huh:

Follow the power because that is the currency of politics.

Now, of course, if they unionize, then paying them nothing would be fine and dandy, because they would be part of the organized community.

Follow the power and the paid protesters.

http://washingtonexaminer.com/labor-relations-board-oks-unions-paying-people-to-protest-walmart/article/2539825

In a Nov. 15 memorandum from the NLRB's general counsel office regarding the so-called “Black Friday” protests staged by United Food and Commercial Workers against the nonunion retailer last year, the NLRB lawyers determined that the UFCW's offer of $50 gift cards to anyone who showed up to protest “was a non-excessive strike benefit.”

I think there is a slang term for these faux-protesters that liberals like to throw around, but I can't remember it.

http://www.npr.org/blogs/money/2013/10/10/229126568/is-welfare-a-rational-alternative-to-work
For many people, says Michael Tanner, it pays not to work. People on welfare — that's everything from food stamps to Medicaid to heating assistance — can make more in 35 states than they would if they had a minimum wage job, according to Tanner. Even for someone who wants to work, he says, "welfare can actually be a rational alternative to work for many people." Choosing welfare may be a sound economic decision, Tanner argues in a recent report published by the libertarian Cato Institute, where he is a senior fellow.

"If someone came to me and said, 'I'll pay you everything you're making today but you don't have to work anymore,' I'm going to think about that," Tanner says. In Rhode Island, according to Tanner's report, a mother with two children can receive aid — cash assistance, Medicaid, housing, etc. — worth almost $39,000 a year, more than a starting teacher or secretary.

Nobody should ever make more by not working than working. And there is only one way that can be true.
A politician thinks of the next election; a statesman of the next generation. A politician looks for the success of his party; a statesman for that of the country. The statesman wished to steer, while the politician was satisfied to drift.
SpinnerMan
hunter

Postby ScaupHunter » Wed Nov 27, 2013 3:31 pm

Glimmerjim wrote:
ScaupHunter wrote:Exactly!

But scaup, show me the states with large urban areas that are vastly different.

There are two states just to the north of you that are good examples. Portland Metro has no where near the crime rates that many major California cities have. Neither do Seattle or other major metropolitan areas in Washington. Idaho, Montana, Wyoming, etc...... all have far lower crime rates in their cities. None of them have the high levels of gang crime, violent murders, etc... that are regular occurances in parts of Cali.

Every major metropolitan area has crime. It is the Rat Effect I described a while back. Some have far more crime than others. Compton comes to mind.
Last edited by ScaupHunter on Thu Nov 28, 2013 12:04 am, edited 1 time in total.
Bella's
Decoy Setting Pro Staff
Boat Operator Pro Staff
Duck Shooting Pro Staff
Warm Towel Pro Staff
Snack Supply Pro Staff

ScaupHunter
hunter

Postby clampdaddy » Wed Nov 27, 2013 4:52 pm

SpinnerMan wrote: ...Who built it up and who is tearing it down?.....

Nuff said.
clampdaddy
hunter

Postby Glimmerjim » Wed Nov 27, 2013 4:56 pm

clampdaddy wrote:

Nuff said.

Yeah, but you're from Hilmar. I wouldn't like CA so much if I was from there either! :lol3: :beer:
Glimmerjim
hunter

Postby clampdaddy » Wed Nov 27, 2013 5:05 pm

Glimmerjim wrote:
clampdaddy wrote:

Nuff said.

Yeah, but you're from Hilmar. I wouldn't like CA so much if I was from there either! :lol3: :beer:

Hell no Jimbo! I love California, I just hate the direction its going. The farmland of the central valley is my favorite thing about this state. :thumbsup:

And I live in the mega metropolis of Hilmar :wink: but the green fields of Crows Landing will always be home to me.
clampdaddy
hunter

Postby Glimmerjim » Wed Nov 27, 2013 6:19 pm

clampdaddy wrote:
Glimmerjim wrote:
clampdaddy wrote:

Nuff said.

Hell no Jimbo! I love California, I just hate the direction its going. The farmlands of the central valley is my favorite thing about this state. :thumbsup:

I'm just jiving, cd. I always think of Steinbeck when I see the central valley farmland! :thumbsup: Many things are frankly just TOO nice here. Everyone wants to live on the farmland. As far as Spinner's migration, it is due to cost of living, certainly not a lack of desire. It is high. It's going to get higher. If some don't like it and have to move they should keep repeating "Free Market....Free Market....Free Market". Businesses? Of course. There is also a more universal and pronounced migration for business to those areas of the world with relatively next to no labor costs or environmental regulations. Go figure!
Glimmerjim
hunter

Postby clampdaddy » Wed Nov 27, 2013 7:12 pm

Glimmerjim wrote:
clampdaddy wrote:
Glimmerjim wrote:
clampdaddy wrote:

Nuff said.

Hell no Jimbo! I love California, I just hate the direction its going. The farmlands of the central valley is my favorite thing about this state. :thumbsup:

I'm just jiving, cd. I always think of Steinbeck when I see the central valley farmland! :thumbsup: Many things are frankly just TOO nice here. Everyone wants to live on the farmland. As far as Spinner's migration, it is due to cost of living, certainly not a lack of desire. It is high. It's going to get higher. If some don't like it and have to move they should keep repeating "Free Market....Free Market....Free Market". Businesses? Of course. There is also a more universal and pronounced migration for business to those areas of the world with relatively next to no labor costs or environmental regulations. Go figure!

But Jim, (according to Forbes) on the list of unfriendly business states we rank #3. That is horrible. People are leaving in droves and they are leaving to take jobs that pay less than they make here but they come out ahead in the long run due to the lower cost of living. Texas is taking on a huge amount of the tech business that used to be done in our silicon valley. And they have to smog their vehicles twice as often as we have to so I don't think that we can call them gross polluters. Our bureaucrats are just out of control.

My dad spent his whole life working for other people but about five years ago he inherited 25 acres that he decided to plant in almonds. He spent every minute and dime he had on the land work and trees. He has a big, nice rv trailer so he figured he'd quit renting a house and live in it until his trees started producing, and then he'd build the house he always wanted.........along comes a county man. Can't do that, not even on your own property. Long story short, $11,000 in fees and permits and he's still living the way he was before that county man showed up. That's a problem.
clampdaddy
hunter

Postby Glimmerjim » Wed Nov 27, 2013 9:21 pm

clampdaddy wrote:
Glimmerjim wrote:
clampdaddy wrote:
Glimmerjim wrote:
clampdaddy wrote:

Nuff said.

But Jim, (according to Forbes) on the list of unfriendly business states we rank #3. That is horrible. People are leaving in droves and they are leaving to take jobs that pay less than they make here but they come out ahead in the long run due to the lower cost of living. Texas is taking on a huge amount of the tech business that used to be done in our silicon valley. And they have to smog their vehicles twice as often as we have to so I don't think that we can call them gross polluters. Our bureaucrats are just out of control.

My dad spent his whole life working for other people but about five years ago he inherited 25 acres that he decided to plant in almonds. He spent every minute and dime he had on the land work and trees. He has a big, nice rv trailer so he figured he'd quit renting a house and live in it until his trees started producing, and then he'd build the house he always wanted.........along comes a county man. Can't do that, not even on your own property. Long story short, $11,000 in fees and permits and he's still living the way he was before that county man showed up. That's a problem.

As a fellow Californian I agree that the cost of living and the regulatory prohibitions are spiraling out of control. Bureaucacy has just run amock. It just chaffs my hide when non-Ca's, from places like TN (for the OP) sit around the still, drooling through the gaps where their teeth should be and talk about how "stuped dem californeyens be wit all dem froots an nuts. Heuck yuk. Pazz me dat ladle, Eustice. Ay got a awful thirse" until one loudly passes gas and they all fall about the place laughing until they puke. :lol3:
Glimmerjim
hunter

Postby clampdaddy » Wed Nov 27, 2013 10:09 pm

Ah, gotcha..........but I'd betcha there are more farm boys running stills over here than you'd think. :wink: :yes:
clampdaddy
hunter

Postby ScaupHunter » Thu Nov 28, 2013 12:06 am

More like growing Mary Jane.
Bella's
Decoy Setting Pro Staff
Boat Operator Pro Staff
Duck Shooting Pro Staff
Warm Towel Pro Staff
Snack Supply Pro Staff

ScaupHunter
hunter

Postby SpinnerMan » Thu Nov 28, 2013 7:09 am

Glimmerjim wrote:As far as Spinner's migration, it is due to cost of living, certainly not a lack of desire. It is high. It's going to get higher.
But that is precisely because of bimbos like the woman in that video. :fingerhead:

Glimmerjim wrote:If some don't like it and have to move they should keep repeating "Free Market....Free Market....Free Market".

It is because the market is NOT free that the prices are so high :fingerhead:

It's all the restriction on when, where, and how can build that prohibits the free market from meeting demand at a more affordable price.

Glimmerjim wrote:There is also a more universal and pronounced migration for business to those areas of the world with relatively next to no labor costs or environmental regulations. Go figure!

If you don't want low labor costs to be necessary for profitability, you need high productive. High productivity requires capital investment. The way to maximize capital investment is to maximize the profitability in investing in new capital. This is generally the exact opposite of especially what the people in California wish to do. We should do everything we can to make America the safest and most profitable place in the world to invest in new capital, but who wants all those damn dirty factories and power plants to keep them running? Not California, that is for sure.
SpinnerMan
hunter

Postby Glimmerjim » Thu Nov 28, 2013 2:25 pm

clampdaddy wrote:Ah, gotcha..........but I'd betcha there are more farm boys running stills over here than you'd think. :wink: :yes:

In actuality, that story was from experience, not imagination! :lol3: :beer:
Glimmerjim
hunter

Previous

Return to Controversial Issues Forum