Oprah spews hatred on BBC

A forum not related to waterfowl for discussing the more controversial and hot topic issues in our world from immigration, politics, the war, etc..

Moderators: Smackaduck, MM

Re: Oprah spews hatred on BBC

Postby macdaddy » Thu Nov 28, 2013 7:20 am

Glimmerjim wrote:
cartervj wrote: The younger generation is becoming more racist thanks to this administration and mass media. Hang with some young folks from bigger cities and you'll see. Polar bear hunting is and has been around for some time even if the MSM doesn't like the narrative, therefore ignoring it or white washing it.

Interesting take that I had never considered, carter. So, basically, a segment of the black population is taking the heat on Obama as having no rationale other than rascism? Wow. Even MY glasses aren't that "tinted", and I still like the guy. :lol3:

Glimmer:
I struggle to see O's point. PTSD? Perhaps. But would it not have been better for her - as all of us - to deal w/ it in private? Must she "air her dirty laundry" in public?
I cannot help but think that there are politics involved. Castigate me - no, I did not go to see "The Butler." But the previews were enough to anger me so much that I couldn't go to see it. And Oprah shouted from the mountain tops about this flick; she endorsed it. My gripes over "The Butler:"
1) History shows John F. Kennedy's commitment to civil rights. He did not need White House staff to "egg him on." JFK's only problem was w/ Southern Democrats - who battled him tooth & nail;

2) The "evil" gun toting Black Panthers never ambushed police, as per the movie. Indeed, it exactly was the other way around (thanks Daryl Gates & LAPD). This I believe was the moviemaker's swipe at lawful private gun ownership - on the rise in the Black community.

This is politics, pure & simple. I have problems (we all do!!) some possibly apparent in my posts. But any big things don't leave my head, let alone my house. And certainly not on a public forum.

And should I become rich & famous :lol3: :lol3: I still will not use the airwaves as my "psychiatrist's couch."

Happy Thanksgiving
I'm the guy your Mother Goose warned you about.
macdaddy
hunter

Postby SpinnerMan » Thu Nov 28, 2013 7:56 am

macdaddy wrote: I struggle to see O's point. PTSD? Perhaps. But would it not have been better for her - as all of us - to deal w/ it in private? Must she "air her dirty laundry" in public?
That is what she does for a living.

Did you go and see the Butler? I did with my wife and our friends that happen to be a mixed race couple. It is very emotional. I was disappointed in the overall quality of the movie. They tried to do too much in the time available. For people that lived through that, I am sure it stirred up all kinds of deep emotions. Oprah spent how many months making that movie and now she spends probably part of every day talking about the movie, so I'm sure the deep emotions from her youth are constantly being brought back up.

While Oprah is a very successful entertainer, she is not a deep thinker. She expresses her emotions and that is what attracts her audience. It is also what allowed her to be conned by Obama and why she has said so many other stupid things. She is an emotion driven liberal. No doubt about it. However, given that she is a billionaire, she is a public figure and especially one that many people are jealous of or think she is not deserving because in their mind they are better than she is or for whatever reason just do not like her. Instead of looking to rip on her when an opportunity presents itself, why not put some thought into what she said, as inarticulate as it was. Is the rignt now going to become the PC police like the left? I hope not.

I believe she has a point, if I correctly interpreted what she was trying to say. And it is a good point. There is no reason to keep that trauma and those scars under the surface. They are real and airing them in the right way is cathartic for the country. Of course, she didn't do it the right way and those scars will continue to be hidden.

The one thing that Eric Holder said that I agree with was he said the nation is cowards when it comes to race issues. Which is absolutely true, but it is people like him that take political advantage as soon as some chooses their words poorly or can twist them to look as if they are despicable. I just don't want to do the same thing with what Oprah said. i think we should give her the benefit of the doubt. It's not hard to see that there is a way to interpret them such that they are not offensive, political, or anything more than a poor statement of a fact that I think most people would agree with.

Now when it comes to race hustlers and dumbasses and ignorant fools, I have no tolerance. Oprah does not fall into this category. She really does not. She is an emotional liberal and race is an issue for her, albeit not a big one, but she is not scum like the unreverend Baby-Daddy Jackson, Sharpton, Obama, or the others that desire to get rich and powerful by keeping people down and under their control.
A politician thinks of the next election; a statesman of the next generation. A politician looks for the success of his party; a statesman for that of the country. The statesman wished to steer, while the politician was satisfied to drift.
SpinnerMan
hunter

Postby charlie beard » Thu Nov 28, 2013 9:16 am

Interesting thread.
Obama care "death panels" will take care of the old.
Dr. Howard Dean, he of the stupid rant, who once railed against Sarah Palin for using term "death panels" changed his tune 11-26-2013. He now says that the un-elected panel WILL be able to make life and death decision over whole groups of Americans simply by manipulating the reimbursements for doctors and hospitals.
They can make reimbursements so low that no doctor or hospital will do the procedures hence, death to those who need them to save lives. Others who need these procedures to give them a modicum of relief and an improved life will be condemned.

Palin was right and is correct. In the name of saving money, American citizens will be condemned to death or to reduced life comfort. How come the Obama government does not care about the other ways it squanders the tax payers money?
Maybe fewer food stamps spent on beer and cigarettes would save enough money to give someone a new heart.

The truth is that the Obama administration echoes Oprah's call for older Americans to die off.
"If you put the Federal Government in charge of the Sahara desert,
in 5 years there'd be a shortage of sand"
charlie beard
hunter

Postby SpinnerMan » Thu Nov 28, 2013 9:33 am

charlie beard wrote:The truth is that the Obama administration echoes Oprah's call for older Americans to die off.
I just don't believe she was calling for them to die. I think she was just stating the obvious that old people are set in their ways and they do not change, so they will hold their views until the day they die.

Granted like Obama wanting to kill off subpar insurance policies and you only get to keep them if Obama likes them, subpar humans should be judged by their utilitarian value and you get to keep your grandparents if Obama likes your grandparents.

I believe Oprah wants you to keep your racist grandparents even though they will remain racists. Obama, well, depends on the other priorities that he has in his budget for your money. Your life is now a line item in the Federal budget. And isn't that what America is all about as we celebrate Thanksgiving because the Pilgrims rejected the collective nonsense and were so prosperous that they had much to be thankful for. Collectivism gave them little and free markets gave them plenty and for that they were thankful.
A politician thinks of the next election; a statesman of the next generation. A politician looks for the success of his party; a statesman for that of the country. The statesman wished to steer, while the politician was satisfied to drift.
SpinnerMan
hunter

Postby Glimmerjim » Thu Nov 28, 2013 1:38 pm

macdaddy wrote:
Glimmerjim wrote:
cartervj wrote: The younger generation is becoming more racist thanks to this administration and mass media. Hang with some young folks from bigger cities and you'll see. Polar bear hunting is and has been around for some time even if the MSM doesn't like the narrative, therefore ignoring it or white washing it.

Interesting take that I had never considered, carter. So, basically, a segment of the black population is taking the heat on Obama as having no rationale other than rascism? Wow. Even MY glasses aren't that "tinted", and I still like the guy. :lol3:

Glimmer:
I struggle to see O's point. PTSD? Perhaps. But would it not have been better for her - as all of us - to deal w/ it in private? Must she "air her dirty laundry" in public?
I cannot help but think that there are politics involved. Castigate me - no, I did not go to see "The Butler." But the previews were enough to anger me so much that I couldn't go to see it. And Oprah shouted from the mountain tops about this flick; she endorsed it. My gripes over "The Butler:"
1) History shows John F. Kennedy's commitment to civil rights. He did not need White House staff to "egg him on." JFK's only problem was w/ Southern Democrats - who battled him tooth & nail;

2) The "evil" gun toting Black Panthers never ambushed police, as per the movie. Indeed, it exactly was the other way around (thanks Daryl Gates & LAPD). This I believe was the moviemaker's swipe at lawful private gun ownership - on the rise in the Black community.

This is politics, pure & simple. I have problems (we all do!!) some possibly apparent in my posts. But any big things don't leave my head, let alone my house. And certainly not on a public forum.

And should I become rich & famous :lol3: :lol3: I still will not use the airwaves as my "psychiatrist's couch."

Happy Thanksgiving

Thanks,macd, same to you! I haven't seen "The Butler" myself, for a very good reason. I just don't go see movies too much! :biggrin: I'm not in a hurry, not that fond of crowds (except at concerts!), and like watching movies from my home. I think it is different for a person in Oprah's position than one in ours. Her entire life is essentially a public forum. From what perfume she wears to her relationship with .....uh...whoever that invisible guy is. I don't begrudge public figures from stating their opinions. From Sean Penn to Hank Williams Jr to Ted Nugent to The Dixie Chicks. We all have our considered opinions and wish we had more ability to make the world a better place as we interpret it. They have just somehow accumulated a following that makes their opinions more public. Not more "noteworthy", or "correct", just more in the public eye (for better or worse). Their doing so does make subjects more open for public discussion, however, which is always a good thing. We still have the judgmental ability to either agree or disagree with their points, regardless of whether we enjoy their music or movies. Except for the Kardashians of course. Duct tape the crap out of them! :beer:
Hope you have a great Thanksgiving yourself, macd! It's a great time of year, and the list of what we all have to be thankful for is endless! It's a shame we can't focus more on that. But that's just my opinion :lol3:

PS: I just went back and read Spinner's post. Could have saved myself a lot of typing! :lol3:
Glimmerjim
hunter

Postby Glimmerjim » Thu Nov 28, 2013 1:51 pm

charlie beard wrote: In the name of saving money, American citizens will be condemned to death or to reduced life comfort.

WHAT???? This is now a condemnation of Obamacare? This has been the mantra of the right for decades. If you can't afford better health care, you don't deserve it. No different than the size of the rock in your wedding ring. NOW we're going to go on a crusade for equal care for all. Regardless of whether Obamacare is a national health program or an answer to a Jeopardy question in the category of words with three "a's", if you have the money you can have the best health care that money can buy. Since when did the right start caring about anyone else?
Glimmerjim
hunter

Postby Glimmerjim » Fri Nov 29, 2013 7:26 pm

Is that a bad ballast or have the lights always been that loud? :lol3:
Glimmerjim
hunter

Postby blackduckdog2 » Fri Nov 29, 2013 11:22 pm

Glimmerjim wrote:Is that a bad ballast or have the lights always been that loud? :lol3:

I'm pretty sure the right thinks the ACA Death Panels will call for the deaths of billionaires first, as part of their "share the wealth" scheme. Also Fox News anchors :lol3: :lol3:
"We have met the enemy, and he is us."
Walt Kelly, via Slow's avatar. Look it up
blackduckdog2
hunter

Postby blackduckdog2 » Fri Nov 29, 2013 11:27 pm

Major kudos to Spinner for A: articulating the fact that this is a very contemporary issue for black folks, not something out of a history class, and
B: Sussing Oprah's actual intent instead of jumping to a fearful conclusion that she's calling for death to Whitey. :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:
"We have met the enemy, and he is us."
Walt Kelly, via Slow's avatar. Look it up
blackduckdog2
hunter

Postby Glimmerjim » Sat Nov 30, 2013 12:13 am

blackduckdog2 wrote:
Glimmerjim wrote:Is that a bad ballast or have the lights always been that loud? :lol3:

I'm pretty sure the right thinks the ACA Death Panels will call for the deaths of billionaires first, as part of their "share the wealth" scheme. Also Fox News anchors :lol3: :lol3:

Jeez. Hope they're right! :lol3: They can be a little selective about the billionaires, though. I just hope the the Koches go first! Toss Sheldon Adelson in with the first group too. He creeps me out! Trump? He's too much fun to laugh at to kill. Too bad he doesn't get the joke!
Glimmerjim
hunter

Previous

Return to Controversial Issues Forum