Sick of PC Nonsense Rant

A forum not related to waterfowl for discussing the more controversial and hot topic issues in our world from immigration, politics, the war, etc..

Moderators: Smackaduck, MM

Sick of PC Nonsense Rant

Postby SpinnerMan » Thu Mar 27, 2014 10:23 am

I am in probably one of the most diverse work environments that exists anywhere in the world.

We just got a new Lab Directory and he just sent out his feel-good, hi from the new guy, letter to the entire staff.

This part just pissed me off.

I am committed to making Argonne a great place to work. That means we need a more diverse and inclusive workplace. For decades, Argonne has been a magnet for scientific and engineering talent. To continue to recruit and retain top-tier scientists and engineers, we must foster a laboratory-wide culture of inclusiveness, equal opportunity, and respect.

First, it IS a great place to work. However, I'll forgive the use of making instead of keeping or making it an even greater place to work.

It is the rest that bothers me. We are extremely diverse and extremely inclusive. This is just ridiculous and truly offense since apparently he believes that the people he just sent this e-mail to are NOT inclusive and don't respect each other. Maybe he is projecting his own personal bias, but this is ridiculous. I may not respect some of you douche's here in the CI forum, but at work, this is just silly.

It is typical for me to interact with coworkers who were born in South Korea, Nigeria, France, Italy, China, Canada, England, Spain, Mexico, Egypt, Japan, Russia, Romania, and others I can't think of off the top of my head. Men and women from all different races, religions, and backgrounds. This IS the work environment here. This is what the entire staff has done through their entire career.

A couple of my coworkers who show part of the range of diversity.

One of my coworkers you may have heard of.
http://www.cbs.com/shows/survivor/cast/214791/

Another one of my coworkers you may have heard of. Although, I have never worked directly with him. I do see those eyebrows all the time.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Marius_Stan_(actor)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xq0a2BWE3zA#t=19

He embodies the ever sage advice that if you don't know what to say, don't say anything. This PC BS just drives me nuts. If he is not reflecting reality in this regard, how will he do so in the rest of his roles?

Maybe all he means there are too many Asians and not enough white people :lol3:

I'm just sick of this crap. It fosters divisiveness and is an impediment to inclusiveness and respect.
A politician thinks of the next election; a statesman of the next generation. A politician looks for the success of his party; a statesman for that of the country. The statesman wished to steer, while the politician was satisfied to drift.
SpinnerMan
hunter

Re: Sick of PC Nonsense Rant

Postby TomKat » Thu Mar 27, 2014 10:29 am

My work place is very diverse. My supervisor was born in Puerto Rico, and we have black, whites, Mexicans, Native Americans, and one lady born in Russia. Over half the workers are women. Our head honcho is a lady from western KS.
TomKat
Dorothy

Postby ScaupHunter » Thu Mar 27, 2014 10:30 am

His just another cog in the PC machine. He not only does not know what he is talking about, he didn't bother to find out what the real world situation is at your work place before spouting drivel. Unfortunately he is the boss so you can't just ignore his DA and move on with life.
Bella's
Decoy Setting Pro Staff
Boat Operator Pro Staff
Duck Shooting Pro Staff
Warm Towel Pro Staff
Snack Supply Pro Staff

He works for free! Who's the B now?
ScaupHunter
hunter

Postby TomKat » Thu Mar 27, 2014 10:31 am

You know what? We all get along fine. Mostly because no do-gooder feels the need to stir up trouble.
TomKat
Dorothy

Postby SpinnerMan » Thu Mar 27, 2014 10:37 am

TomKat wrote:My work place is very diverse. My supervisor was born in Puerto Rico, and we have black, whites, Mexicans, Native Americans, and one lady born in Russia. Over half the workers are women. Our head honcho is a lady from western KS.

And if your new boss said that we need more diversity, it would be laughable.

ScaupHunter wrote:His just another cog in the PC machine.

It's mandatory BS included without thought, which isn't that what all great scientist do? :rolleyes:

ScaupHunter wrote:He not only does not know what he is talking about, he didn't bother to find out what the real world situation is at your work place before spouting drivel.

He was an Associate Lab Director before this. He was promoted from within :mad: :mad: :mad:
A politician thinks of the next election; a statesman of the next generation. A politician looks for the success of his party; a statesman for that of the country. The statesman wished to steer, while the politician was satisfied to drift.
SpinnerMan
hunter

Postby charlie beard » Thu Mar 27, 2014 12:20 pm

ScaupHunter wrote:He not only does not know what he is talking about, he didn't bother to find out what the real world situation is at your work place before spouting drivel.

He was an Associate Lab Director before this. He was promoted from within :mad: :mad: :mad:[/quote]

Seen this at my workplace. Not always the most qualified person gets the job.
The most popular person that can sell their pitch to management usually gets the job.
It's called politics.

Look what we have in the White House.
Glad I'm retired.
"If you put the Federal Government in charge of the Sahara desert,
in 5 years there'd be a shortage of sand"
charlie beard
hunter

Postby ScaupHunter » Thu Mar 27, 2014 12:36 pm

SpinnerMan wrote:
TomKat wrote:My work place is very diverse. My supervisor was born in Puerto Rico, and we have black, whites, Mexicans, Native Americans, and one lady born in Russia. Over half the workers are women. Our head honcho is a lady from western KS.

And if your new boss said that we need more diversity, it would be laughable.

ScaupHunter wrote:His just another cog in the PC machine.

It's mandatory BS included without thought, which isn't that what all great scientist do? :rolleyes:

He was an Associate Lab Director before this. He was promoted from within :mad: :mad: :mad:

Then his comment was asinine and uncalled for. I just gave him a very hard mental slap to the back of his ignorant head for you! :beer:
Last edited by ScaupHunter on Fri Mar 28, 2014 8:29 am, edited 2 times in total.
Bella's
Decoy Setting Pro Staff
Boat Operator Pro Staff
Duck Shooting Pro Staff
Warm Towel Pro Staff
Snack Supply Pro Staff

ScaupHunter
hunter

Postby SpinnerMan » Thu Mar 27, 2014 12:44 pm

That was certainly a relevant part that I left out.

He worked here. Does he not think it is a great place to work?

He was ALD, did he think the lab was not inclusive and respectful?

He was freaking top level management, what the hell was he doing about it? What a rip on the outgoing Director if he feels this way.

These kind of statements are just PC BS boilerplate that are not meant to be anymore than symbolic kissing of the PC ring. They are not meant to be taken literally. Who would think scientist's statements are meant to be taken literally?

We live in a society where our intellectuals are not intellectual. They do not reflect carefully upon their words even in prepared statements. Or worse yet, they do :eek:
SpinnerMan
hunter

Postby Botiz630 » Thu Mar 27, 2014 1:33 pm

SpinnerMan wrote:I am in probably one of the most diverse work environments that exists anywhere in the world.

We'll see if Vinny can resist the urge to one-up this statement.
B Squad Captain
If do right, no can defense
Botiz630
Forum Moderator

Postby ohioboy » Thu Mar 27, 2014 6:49 pm

If your boss wants diversity, tell your boss you know a not so smart teacher from maryland. :yes:
ohioboy
hunter

Postby Andy W » Fri Mar 28, 2014 6:13 am

I think I see the problem here:

That means we need a more diverse and inclusive workplace
= too many whites = good bye Spinnerman.
Andy W
hunter

Postby SpinnerMan » Fri Mar 28, 2014 7:50 am

Andy W wrote:I think I see the problem here:

That means we need a more diverse and inclusive workplace
= too many whites = good bye Spinnerman.

I think I'm the token white American in my section, so I'm probably good. :lol3:
SpinnerMan
hunter

Postby ScaupHunter » Fri Mar 28, 2014 8:30 am

Time to file an EO complaint to the new boss claiming discrimination because there aren't enough "white's" around. Let him figure out how to square that with more diversity.
Last edited by ScaupHunter on Fri Mar 28, 2014 8:50 am, edited 1 time in total.
Bella's
Decoy Setting Pro Staff
Boat Operator Pro Staff
Duck Shooting Pro Staff
Warm Towel Pro Staff
Snack Supply Pro Staff

ScaupHunter
hunter

Postby Nabs » Fri Mar 28, 2014 8:49 am

"Politically Correct" - The belief that you can pick a turd up by the clean end.
Nabs
hunter

Postby go get the bird » Fri Mar 28, 2014 9:39 am

Nabs wrote:"Politically Correct" - The belief that you can pick a turd up by the clean end.

:lol:
MackieKnife wrote:The moral of the story is...I'm retarded.
go get the bird
hunter

Postby Rat Creek » Fri Mar 28, 2014 11:14 am

If you do not pay homage to: inclusive and diversity, you will pay a heavy price. Hate to say it, but it is purely scare tactic stuff. All managers know it is better to mention it or have the one hour per year meeting, than to die on that hill. :no:

As a matter of coincidence, I have a team meeting today in which I have invited our diversity manager to present. When that hour meeting is over, we are good for the year. :thumbsup:

My team and our company are very diverse and inclusive. It has nothing to do with training, and everything to do with being greedy capitalists who want to win as much business as possible, so we recruit and retain the best. :fingerhead:
Rat Creek
Rat Creek
hunter

Postby ScaupHunter » Fri Mar 28, 2014 12:59 pm

Our entire staff spent two days on diversity training we have to take every year. Care to guess how much money it costs to pay 300 or so employees of all levels to sit in classes for two days?

It was a complete waste of taxpayer dollars!
Bella's
Decoy Setting Pro Staff
Boat Operator Pro Staff
Duck Shooting Pro Staff
Warm Towel Pro Staff
Snack Supply Pro Staff

ScaupHunter
hunter

Sick of PC Nonsense Rant

Postby vincentpa » Fri Mar 28, 2014 4:55 pm

Botiz630 wrote:
SpinnerMan wrote:I am in probably one of the most diverse work environments that exists anywhere in the world.

We'll see if Vinny can resist the urge to one-up this statement.

The true test is if Spinner has any black friends. :lol3:

I think Spinner's boss sent the email around with him in mind but had to send it to everyone so as not be accused of singling him out.
In a free society, it is not the obligation of the citizen to prove to the government that he is a good person. It is the obligation of the government to prove to the rest of the citizenry that the citizen is a bad person, with probable cause.
vincentpa
hunter

Postby Dingbatter 2 » Sun Mar 30, 2014 8:41 pm

I had to attend a HR "diversity class" for the government agency I work for. I have a tendency to roam around and snoop when I get the chance. So, at lunch I would sneak around the building checking things out. What struck me odd was that all of the people who worked there, developing "diversity" and EEO programs, materials, lectures, and workshops were women. The only guy that worked in a 6 story office building dedictated to all of this crap was the janitor!

Well, at the end of the two days of being told how I should treat people, and to abstain from raping, pillaging, and plundering, the instructor (a woman, of course) opened the floor to questions. No one spoke, mainly because everyone wanted to get the hell out of there, but I had to open my big mouth and ask why every one working there hated men? The instructor got this weird pissed-off look on her face and said what do you mean? I told her that in the two days I had spent there, canvassing the entire building and seeing hundreds of people working I only met one male and his duties were basically relegated to the basement. Her reply was "thank you for your participation in our HR programs".

I found out later that she had a girlfriend... :lol3:
"When I get to heaven, tie me to a tree
For I'll begin to roam and soon you'll know where I will be..."
Dingbatter 2
hunter

Postby beretta24 » Sun Mar 30, 2014 9:15 pm

I guess I don't entirely see the issue. Until there's an action that relates to his statements it's nothing but an email. All new want to say "we need to be more ______". Fill it in with efficient, profitable, faster, safer, or more diverse. It's all words until they try changing the way you do your job.
beretta24
State Moderator

Postby assateague » Tue Apr 01, 2014 9:04 am

My workplace is 100% Mexican. I need to write a memo to myself.
WOLVERINES

Give a man a fish and he eats for a day. Let a man vote to give himself a fish and he eats until society collapses.
assateague
Emu hunter extraordinaire

Postby TomKat » Tue Apr 01, 2014 9:28 am

assateague wrote:My workplace is 100% Mexican. I need to write a memo to myself.

How do you stand being with them all the time?
At least they are no threat to the pintail population on the Eastern Shore. :)
TomKat
Dorothy

Postby ohioboy » Tue Apr 01, 2014 10:10 am

assateague wrote:My workplace is 100% Mexican. I need to write a memo to myself.

Actually from Mexico? Very rare around here.

Or do they just speak Spanish?
ohioboy
hunter

Postby SpinnerMan » Tue Apr 01, 2014 11:02 am

beretta24 wrote:I guess I don't entirely see the issue. Until there's an action that relates to his statements it's nothing but an email. All new want to say "we need to be more ______". Fill it in with efficient, profitable, faster, safer, or more diverse. It's all words until they try changing the way you do your job.

It was PC BS. So we should just assume all the e-mails from the boss are PC BS. :huh:

There are so many things wrong with this.

Being a scientist, it is your moral and ethical responsibility to be as rigorously faithful to the truth as possible. His first e-mail says :fingerpt: We have to be rigorously faithful to the PC police. I guess we are all global warming scientists now.

Has there ever been a work environment where it is acceptable to say that we are the model of diversity, inclusiveness, and respect? :no:

Never has been and never will be. Why is that?

Maybe we should do a little objective scientific research into what is the OPTIMUM diversity. What should the goal be? What population are we trying to represent? Would an elite research institution look like the graduation class at your average American Kindergarten or would it look like the graduation class at your elite research universities around the world? :huh:

Either you are dedicated to seeking the truth or you are dedicated to something else.

I am sick of this crap because it is clear. We are no longer a society dedicated to what is right. We are dedicated to what is correct. And there is a world of difference between the two.
SpinnerMan
hunter

Postby dudejcb » Tue Apr 01, 2014 8:59 pm

beretta24 wrote:I guess I don't entirely see the issue. Until there's an action that relates to his statements it's nothing but an email. All new want to say "we need to be more ______". Fill it in with efficient, profitable, faster, safer, or more diverse. It's all words until they try changing the way you do your job.

I agree with Beretta. What was the new guy in a leadership position supposed to say? In fact , that sort of PC reinforcement is pretty standard, and expected, stuff. His promotion is safe for now.
What's so funny 'bout peace love and understanding?
dudejcb
hunter

Next

Return to Controversial Issues Forum