Paying College football players..

A forum not related to waterfowl for discussing the more controversial and hot topic issues in our world from immigration, politics, the war, etc..

Moderators: Smackaduck, MM

Paying College football players..

Postby Indaswamp » Thu Mar 27, 2014 5:00 pm

The Cajun 7 Course Meal; 1 lb. of boudin and a six pack of Abita beer.

Save the Marsh, Eat a Nutria!

Never fart in your waders, it'll give you WORTS.
Indaswamp
Forum Moderator

Re: Paying College football players..

Postby Gj325 » Thu Mar 27, 2014 5:45 pm

This is not good news for Ala and Auburn. Their players will have to take a pay cut.
Gordon WPS
Gj325
hunter

Postby cartervj » Thu Mar 27, 2014 5:51 pm

Gj325 wrote:This is not good news for Ala and Auburn. Their players will have to take a pay cut.

sad but true, especially Bammers :welcome:
“Nothing makes me more certain of the victory of our ideas than our success in the universities” – Adolf H, 1930
cartervj
hunter

Postby Indaswamp » Thu Mar 27, 2014 5:52 pm

Gj325 wrote:This is not good news for Ala and Auburn. Their players will have to take a pay cut.

:lol3:

Indaswamp
Forum Moderator

Postby AKWoody » Thu Mar 27, 2014 6:14 pm

I'll be the first to take a stand here. I think (and have always thought) the idea of paying college athletes is insane. They are being paid by being give a quality education, and in some cases a DAMN good education. While I understand that not all college athletes are on a scholarship, a majority of the high profile football and basketball starters are. So the school is making a killing selling jerseys, tickets and TV rights. Big deal, they are also out a ton of money in free scholarships, have to pay coaches, but equipment, facility maintenance etc.

In my opinion, this is a what we will see more of in the future, with the Y2K/ millennial and there me first give what I want and right now attitude. :crying:

I only wish I had a shred of athletic ability and was given the opportunity to go to school for free. Then maybe I wouldn't have had to join the military. Not that I regret that, because with military experience, I was bale to get a pretty good job, but having a degree would open a lot more doors for me.

And besides, football player are being paid.... by the athletic boosters!!! :yes:
AKWoody
hunter

Postby Indaswamp » Thu Mar 27, 2014 8:35 pm

one other thing to consider is that not all college football programs make money...

Indaswamp
Forum Moderator

Postby Bill Herian » Thu Mar 27, 2014 9:07 pm

Watch "Schooled". Pretty interesting documentary on this subject.
Bill Herian
hunter

Postby SpinnerMan » Fri Mar 28, 2014 6:06 am

AKWoody wrote:I'll be the first to take a stand here. I think (and have always thought) the idea of paying college athletes is insane. They are being paid by being give a quality education, and in some cases a DAMN good education. While I understand that not all college athletes are on a scholarship, a majority of the high profile football and basketball starters are. So the school is making a killing selling jerseys, tickets and TV rights. Big deal, they are also out a ton of money in free scholarships, have to pay coaches, but equipment, facility maintenance etc.

I'm generally opposed to it, but could be convinced otherwise.

Many of these athletes come from poor families. To live, you need more than room and board. If certain people give them money to get a hamburger while out of town, to get clothes, repair a car, etc., it could be a major violation of NCAA rules. I think a small stipend is not unreasonable. It's not like many of them have time to go to school, train for their sport, AND work a job. I was fortunate, I had a good summer job that carried me through the entire school year and didn't have to work during the school year. I don't think it is unreasonable that on top of the huge investment made in these athletes, that a small stipend on top so when not in school and not training, they don't also have to have a job.

This whole unionization thing is insane. The argument is too. If we compensate you, then the rules are completely different than if you are not compensated while doing the same thing :fingerhead: Like most thinking of the left, this is assbackwards at best. Everybody can quit if they don't like the deal. That's all the protection any of them needs beyond the other laws that exist.
A politician thinks of the next election; a statesman of the next generation. A politician looks for the success of his party; a statesman for that of the country. The statesman wished to steer, while the politician was satisfied to drift.
SpinnerMan
hunter

Postby Slack Tide » Fri Mar 28, 2014 6:17 am

Getting a free education is only part of the deal.....
Here's my experience:
I lived with 4 guys at Fordham who were on the basketball team. While they don't ever make it too far, they are a Division One team who regularly do well and have gone to the dance.
First off, these guys never EVER went to class...they always had girls do their papers, laundry and cleaning....all of them. The slept all day until practice time....then came home and played video games until a Lincoln Town car would come and whisk them off to Manhattan to go to dinner with wealthy alum...upon graduation, they either became scouts, went to work for ESPN or mayyyyybe got hooked up at a firm with another alum....but in any case, the gravy train kept on....
When I tell you that this was EVERY guy, EVERY day for 4 years.....I mean it...
Now imagine what happens at a real, top tier powerhouse school....
It's such a racket....these guys are celebrities in a small pond...to pay them on top of that is insult to injury to anyone taking their education seriously and paying their own way....
In the end.....they run with a ball.....that's it....they run with a ball
"I've been left for dead before but I'll still fight on, don't wait up, leave the light on, I'll be home soon"
Chris Smither
Slack Tide
hunter

Postby cartervj » Fri Mar 28, 2014 7:38 am

A+

ScreenSnapz010-620x362.jpg
“Nothing makes me more certain of the victory of our ideas than our success in the universities” – Adolf H, 1930
cartervj
hunter

Postby SpinnerMan » Fri Mar 28, 2014 7:40 am

I went to Penn State and lived with and knew a few football players of note. While the young children were not safe, this kind of abuse and violation of all kinds of rules and laws was not the norm at all.

Slack Tide wrote:Now imagine what happens at a real, top tier powerhouse school....
They get a lot more scrutiny, so I really don't think there is a correlation and the abuses may be inverse to the success. There is more to lose and a bigger name to be made from punishing them. Not saying it does not happen at all, but just that I think it is a case by case basis. This was what was so unbelievably shocking about Paterno. All indications were that when it came to football, he lived by and enforced very high ethical standards and the kids did got class, did do their work, did not take money, and all of that. I never saw any thing that concerned me.
A politician thinks of the next election; a statesman of the next generation. A politician looks for the success of his party; a statesman for that of the country. The statesman wished to steer, while the politician was satisfied to drift.
SpinnerMan
hunter

Postby Slack Tide » Fri Mar 28, 2014 7:42 am

SpinnerMan wrote: I never saw any thing that concerned me.

Just shows you how well it's hidden...
"I've been left for dead before but I'll still fight on, don't wait up, leave the light on, I'll be home soon"
Chris Smither
Slack Tide
hunter

Postby Slack Tide » Fri Mar 28, 2014 7:45 am

It seeps down even lower than college.....here's one:
We had a few HS kids in a neighboring district who were charged with a gang rape with a gun involved....when the cops came to take them away at school....it was in the middle of a championship basketball game.....the coach actually said to the cops..."can they finish the game first?"
Chris Smither
Slack Tide
hunter

Postby tknight006 » Fri Mar 28, 2014 8:05 am

If they get compensated for playing... they should lose their scholarships that fund them to attend the school and have to pay for it out of their own pocket.

Trey
Prostaff application pending
tknight006
hunter

Postby SpinnerMan » Fri Mar 28, 2014 8:14 am

tknight006 wrote:If they get compensated for playing
They ARE getting compensated a whole lot. Tuition, Room, on campus food.

The question is in regards to a small increment to that compensation in the form of cash. Most college students take a job if they need cash. This is much more difficult if you are a serious athlete. Obviously, it is not necessary as people have managed. Although many have managed by cheating and accepting illegal gifts.
SpinnerMan
hunter

Postby ScaupHunter » Fri Mar 28, 2014 8:23 am

They get room, board, and their education paid for. Just exactly what more does a college student need to live? Answer is nothing. Toss in being taken all over the country to play ball, free exposure to scouts, etc.... They get paid plenty already. If they want more money, mommy and daddy can foot the bill, or get a job.
Bella's
Decoy Setting Pro Staff
Boat Operator Pro Staff
Duck Shooting Pro Staff
Warm Towel Pro Staff
Snack Supply Pro Staff

He works for free! Who's the B now?
ScaupHunter
hunter

Postby tknight006 » Fri Mar 28, 2014 8:38 am

I'm not advocating for players getting compensated in the form of cash by any means, but most athletes (atleast the ones who are on scholarship) are not allowed to get jobs. I have no doubt its not the case in some places, but it is very common.

Players get paid, that is a fact. Their parents often get hooked up as well... Reggie Bush etc.
Prostaff application pending
tknight006
hunter

Postby SpinnerMan » Fri Mar 28, 2014 8:41 am

ScaupHunter wrote:They get room, board, and their education paid for. Just exactly what more does a college student need to live? Answer is nothing. Toss in being taken all over the country to play ball, free exposure to scouts, etc.... They get paid plenty already. If they want more money, mommy and daddy can foot the bill, or get a job.

They need to eat when they are away from campus. They need clothing. Not sure how books work, but I suspect they pay for them themselves. They need other school supplies. Transportation too and from campus during breaks. Any decent athlete will never have to pay for beer, so that's something they don't have that I did. There are not a lot of other expenses, but they are not negligible either, particular if you come from a family that has nothing. I'm sure you could hit your mommy and daddy up, but not everybody can do that and that seems more common than average among scholarship athletes. I'm quite sure there is a correlation of priorities there.
SpinnerMan
hunter

Postby goodkarmarising » Fri Mar 28, 2014 9:43 am

Why is there even sports in college and high school?
Only number that matters, retrieves by the pup: 176
Cooper: 15
Proud owner of 2 non hunt trial/field trial fire breathers
goodkarmarising
hunter

Postby Indaswamp » Fri Mar 28, 2014 9:47 am

goodkarmarising wrote:Why is there even sports in college and high school?

Because pro teams need players/employees, and it is a major cash cow for some schools.

Indaswamp
Forum Moderator

Postby ScaupHunter » Fri Mar 28, 2014 9:51 am

SpinnerMan wrote:
ScaupHunter wrote:They get room, board, and their education paid for. Just exactly what more does a college student need to live? Answer is nothing. Toss in being taken all over the country to play ball, free exposure to scouts, etc.... They get paid plenty already. If they want more money, mommy and daddy can foot the bill, or get a job.

They need to eat when they are away from campus. They need clothing. Not sure how books work, but I suspect they pay for them themselves. They need other school supplies. Transportation too and from campus during breaks. Any decent athlete will never have to pay for beer, so that's something they don't have that I did. There are not a lot of other expenses, but they are not negligible either, particular if you come from a family that has nothing. I'm sure you could hit your mommy and daddy up, but not everybody can do that and that seems more common than average among scholarship athletes. I'm quite sure there is a correlation of priorities there.

I paid my own way through a private ( expensive ) college to get my engineering degree. I asked for and got exactly zero help from mommy and daddy! I have zero sympathy for kids with full ride scholarships. They get more than they need to survive on. The colleges don't leave them hanging out to dry in crappy clothes, etc...... They want more money get a damn job! Violates your contract? Then suck it up there buttercup. The millions you will make in the NFL will make up for a bit of doing without in college.
Bella's
Decoy Setting Pro Staff
Boat Operator Pro Staff
Duck Shooting Pro Staff
Warm Towel Pro Staff
Snack Supply Pro Staff

He works for free! Who's the B now?
ScaupHunter
hunter

Postby Slack Tide » Fri Mar 28, 2014 9:56 am

SpinnerMan wrote:

But these are expenses that ALL kids in college have, and they have even less money left over because they are paying tuition on top of all the incidentals...
You get the meal plan in the cafeteria....you drink at bars that have deals....$5 at the door and drink all day...etc...you hit cheap happy hours with free food and wear the close you bought at the end of the summer after you mowed lawns and waited tables....
Chris Smither
Slack Tide
hunter

Postby i_willie12 » Fri Mar 28, 2014 10:33 am

Played football in college... It was small college but still same amount of hours spent on football and work

1) there are very few guys on any team that are getting a FULL ride! Most still owe $k's after school like everyone else
2) we couldnt apply for other grants, we were already on school scholarship I knew more students getting better money than most of the football players!
3) werent able to work during season! Heck there was no time They say 20 hours a week.. BULL!! Couple hours in Am for weights, then "meetings" 1-1.5 hours before practice that "werent manditory" RIGHT Then 2.5-3 hours practice some times so late that the cafe was already closed!! then back for "study hall" (meetings) for another 1-1.5 hours till about 10PM
Heck we barely had time for class!! Now i know they couldnt have paid us or been able to We werent DI... But some of the guys on the team could have made money off their likeness.. Thats what they need to do If some guy on team can sell himself and make money should be able too!! We won National champsion wrestling 3 out of 5 years those guys could have made money in different ways.. Put on camps, advertisment etc.. I dont feel school should cut a monthly pay check to players but let them make money
"Some people pride themselves on how far they can shoot ducks others pride themselves on how close they can get them. I'm an other!!! "
John Stephens RNT

HRCH Wilson's Grand Priarie Pintail "Sprig"
i_willie12
hunter

Postby i_willie12 » Fri Mar 28, 2014 10:40 am

Slack Tide wrote:But these are expenses that ALL kids in college have, and they have even less money left over because they are paying tuition on top of all the incidentals...

Its laughable that you all keep saying students are paying their tuition!! :lol3: They are signing on the dotted line just like everyone else and paying for it for the rest of their life!! Differance is they can work.. If some super smart kid comes up with some new formula in biology they can sell that formula and make money!
"Some people pride themselves on how far they can shoot ducks others pride themselves on how close they can get them. I'm an other!!! "
John Stephens RNT

HRCH Wilson's Grand Priarie Pintail "Sprig"
i_willie12
hunter

Postby Indaswamp » Fri Mar 28, 2014 10:44 am

i_willie12 wrote:
Slack Tide wrote:But these are expenses that ALL kids in college have, and they have even less money left over because they are paying tuition on top of all the incidentals...

Its laughable that you all keep saying students are paying their tuition!! :lol3: They are signing on the dotted line just like everyone else and paying for it for the rest of their life!! Differance is they can work.. If some super smart kid comes up with some new formula in biology they can sell that formula and make money!

Only if they can find a job to pay the student loan debt upon graduation. A large number of graduates are ending up unemployed currently.

Indaswamp
Forum Moderator

Next

Return to Controversial Issues Forum