Paying College football players..

A forum not related to waterfowl for discussing the more controversial and hot topic issues in our world from immigration, politics, the war, etc..

Moderators: Smackaduck, MM

Re: Paying College football players..

Postby i_willie12 » Fri Mar 28, 2014 10:59 am

Indaswamp wrote:
i_willie12 wrote:
Slack Tide wrote:But these are expenses that ALL kids in college have, and they have even less money left over because they are paying tuition on top of all the incidentals...

Its laughable that you all keep saying students are paying their tuition!! :lol3: They are signing on the dotted line just like everyone else and paying for it for the rest of their life!! Differance is they can work.. If some super smart kid comes up with some new formula in biology they can sell that formula and make money!

Only if they can find a job to pay the student loan debt upon graduation. A large number of graduates are ending up unemployed currently.

Saying they can work while in school... ONly DI offers all Full ride scholarships. DIAA under can split the scholarships how they want http://www.active.com/football/articles ... holarships They normally split most of them and only offer 15-20 full rides for the top players that way they can give out more scholarships Most of the team is on a particle
"Some people pride themselves on how far they can shoot ducks others pride themselves on how close they can get them. I'm an other!!! "
John Stephens RNT

HRCH Wilson's Grand Priarie Pintail "Sprig"
i_willie12
hunter

Postby TomKat » Fri Mar 28, 2014 10:59 am

When one of these prima donnas gets a diploma it degrades the value of mine. I think its crap that they are getting a free education in the first place.

Money ruins everything it touches. NBA and NFL need to set up a minor league system the way MLB does. Associating education with atheletic prowess is
TomKat
Dorothy

Postby TomKat » Fri Mar 28, 2014 11:00 am

Sorry got mad and posted early. I am with GKR. Why should we have sports in college at all?
TomKat
Dorothy

Postby Rat Creek » Fri Mar 28, 2014 11:00 am

If a fine education, room, board, travel and worship from the general public is not enough, I guess they can just turn down the scholarship, and pay their own way. :yes: If they need to know how much it will cost them, they can call me. I have put two kids through college. Kid 3 is a sophomore. :crying:

People should stop looking at scholarship recipients as victims, but then again, everyone is a victim in the current political environment. :no:
Rat Creek
Rat Creek
hunter

Postby Indaswamp » Fri Mar 28, 2014 11:11 am

i_willie12 wrote:
Indaswamp wrote:
i_willie12 wrote:
Slack Tide wrote:But these are expenses that ALL kids in college have, and they have even less money left over because they are paying tuition on top of all the incidentals...

Its laughable that you all keep saying students are paying their tuition!! :lol3: They are signing on the dotted line just like everyone else and paying for it for the rest of their life!! Differance is they can work.. If some super smart kid comes up with some new formula in biology they can sell that formula and make money!

Only if they can find a job to pay the student loan debt upon graduation. A large number of graduates are ending up unemployed currently.

Saying they can work while in school... ONly DI offers all Full ride scholarships. DIAA under can split the scholarships how they want http://www.active.com/football/articles ... holarships They normally split most of them and only offer 15-20 full rides for the top players that way they can give out more scholarships Most of the team is on a particle

DI?
DIAA?

What do the acronyms stand for?
The Cajun 7 Course Meal; 1 lb. of boudin and a six pack of Abita beer.

Save the Marsh, Eat a Nutria!

Indaswamp
Forum Moderator

Postby razorback » Fri Mar 28, 2014 11:17 am

TomKat wrote:When one of these prima donnas gets a diploma it degrades the value of mine. I think its crap that they are getting a free education in the first place.

Money ruins everything it touches. NBA and NFL need to set up a minor league system the way MLB does. Associating education with atheletic prowess is

So my 100% paid for diplomas in BS in Chemistry and Biology and the MBA that I was able to start the last three semesters of my eligibility degrades yours? Still found a few minutes to practice and earn a couple All American honors.

There are plenty of people that that are getting their education paid for whether through grants, private scholarships or private industry paying their way in return for a few years of service after graduation.

Money doesn't ruin things, people's greed do. I am not an advocate of the school or NCAA paying athletes, but if the private sector sees a potential return on investment why not let a kid benefit.
razorback
hunter

Postby razorback » Fri Mar 28, 2014 11:18 am

Swamp....

D1 and D1 AA
razorback
hunter

Postby SpinnerMan » Fri Mar 28, 2014 12:15 pm

Slack Tide wrote:
SpinnerMan wrote:
ScaupHunter wrote:They get room, board, and their education paid for. Just exactly what more does a college student need to live? Answer is nothing. Toss in being taken all over the country to play ball, free exposure to scouts, etc.... They get paid plenty already. If they want more money, mommy and daddy can foot the bill, or get a job.

They need to eat when they are away from campus. They need clothing. Not sure how books work, but I suspect they pay for them themselves. They need other school supplies. Transportation too and from campus during breaks. Any decent athlete will never have to pay for beer, so that's something they don't have that I did. There are not a lot of other expenses, but they are not negligible either, particular if you come from a family that has nothing. I'm sure you could hit your mommy and daddy up, but not everybody can do that and that seems more common than average among scholarship athletes. I'm quite sure there is a correlation of priorities there.

But these are expenses that ALL kids in college have, and they have even less money left over because they are paying tuition on top of all the incidentals...
You get the meal plan in the cafeteria....you drink at bars that have deals....$5 at the door and drink all day...etc...you hit cheap happy hours with free food and wear the close you bought at the end of the summer after you mowed lawns and waited tables....

That was what I was taking issue with. This is what I said already.
SpinnerMan wrote:Most college students take a job if they need cash. This is much more difficult if you are a serious athlete. Obviously, it is not necessary as people have managed.

However, there are a lot of communities where unemployment is very high and there is not a lot to be made mowing lawns, if there are any, and waiting tables is not a big source of labor.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not saying whoa are those that get these huge scholarships. Far from it. What I am saying, or more accurately raising the question, is that it does not cover 100% of their costs. A large fraction, but there is a sizable piece left. Travel expenses can be quite substantial depending on where the kid goes to school. There are significant expenses when they are on the road, the coach can't pay for a single meal as I understand it. There are expenses during break when the campus is closed. I would have been very unhappy if I would have had to live on what they have covered. I was fortunate to get a very high paying job for a college student during the summer and then after my sophomore year I took a co-op job and worked every other semester making good money in the process. I also got a decent amount of support from my mom's unmarried sisters who had good jobs. I know do the same for their children to help them out a bit. But many do not have this support structure. Supporting them beyond how they do doesn't seem unreasonable. Most scholarship athletes cannot and will never make money off of their skills. This is the end of the line for them in sports and they no it.

A university investing the huge resources they invest in these athletes, a small stipend for some student, it could even be need based if you want. It's just silly for the university to be able to invest maybe as much as $100k per year in the case of an elite university with high tuition, room and board, and all the cost of the training staff and equipment invested, and not be able to give them even $2k in financial support.

TomKat wrote:Money ruins everything it touches.

Good thing you have never touched money.

TomKat wrote:Why should we have sports in college at all?

Why not? I say the good old free market works just fine. Some will and some will not.

The problem is all the BS regulations and government involvement that screw everything up.

Rat Creek wrote:People should stop looking at scholarship recipients as victims, but then again, everyone is a victim in the current political environment. :no:

I don't see anyone looking at them a s victims. Not a bad strawman, though.
A politician thinks of the next election; a statesman of the next generation. A politician looks for the success of his party; a statesman for that of the country. The statesman wished to steer, while the politician was satisfied to drift.
SpinnerMan
hunter

Postby i_willie12 » Fri Mar 28, 2014 12:17 pm

Indaswamp wrote:
i_willie12 wrote:
Indaswamp wrote:
i_willie12 wrote:

DI?
DIAA?

Please tell me you know what DI DIAA DII DIII NAIA stand for!! If you dont probably shouldnt be having a pay college athletes debate :wink:
"Some people pride themselves on how far they can shoot ducks others pride themselves on how close they can get them. I'm an other!!! "
John Stephens RNT

i_willie12
hunter

Postby WTN10 » Fri Mar 28, 2014 12:23 pm

AKWoody wrote:I'll be the first to take a stand here. I think (and have always thought) the idea of paying college athletes is insane. They are being paid by being give a quality education, and in some cases a DAMN good education. While I understand that not all college athletes are on a scholarship, a majority of the high profile football and basketball starters are. So the school is making a killing selling jerseys, tickets and TV rights. Big deal, they are also out a ton of money in free scholarships, have to pay coaches, but equipment, facility maintenance etc.

In my opinion, this is a what we will see more of in the future, with the Y2K/ millennial and there me first give what I want and right now attitude. :crying:

I only wish I had a shred of athletic ability and was given the opportunity to go to school for free. Then maybe I wouldn't have had to join the military. Not that I regret that, because with military experience, I was bale to get a pretty good job, but having a degree would open a lot more doors for me.

And besides, football player are being paid.... by the athletic boosters!!! :yes:

You think those top schools are only pulling in enough money to cover overhead?

Where did you graduate from college? :lol3:
2014 Season Totals:
Mallards: 243
Redheads: 114
Woodducks: 119
Grebes: 36
Blue Geese: 134
Snow Geese: 178
Hawks: 4
WTN10
hunter

Postby Indaswamp » Fri Mar 28, 2014 12:25 pm

i_willie12 wrote:
Indaswamp wrote:
i_willie12 wrote:
Indaswamp wrote:
i_willie12 wrote:

DI?
DIAA?

Please tell me you know what DI DIAA DII DIII NAIA stand for!! If you dont probably shouldnt be having a pay college athletes debate :wink:

I do not see the acronyms often, but I know the difference between the divisions.
The Cajun 7 Course Meal; 1 lb. of boudin and a six pack of Abita beer.

Save the Marsh, Eat a Nutria!

Indaswamp
Forum Moderator

Postby Botiz630 » Fri Mar 28, 2014 1:03 pm

SpinnerMan wrote:They need to eat when they are away from campus. They need clothing. Not sure how books work, but I suspect they pay for them themselves.

No they don't, at least not the ones I've known. They also got weekly stipends...that they spent on clothes.
Holy Molly
Botiz630
Forum Moderator

Postby SpinnerMan » Fri Mar 28, 2014 1:08 pm

Botiz630 wrote:
SpinnerMan wrote:They need to eat when they are away from campus. They need clothing. Not sure how books work, but I suspect they pay for them themselves.

No they don't, at least not the ones I've known. They also got weekly stipends...that they spent on clothes.

If they get stipends, which I really didn't think they did, that's all I would support. Really nothing different than you would consider doing for any other student that you recruit to your school for any reason whether academic or athletic. I got paid to go to school for quite a few years. While I actually did work, it was nothing compared to the time the athletes put in nor the revenue the football team and the basketball team brought into the university.
A politician thinks of the next election; a statesman of the next generation. A politician looks for the success of his party; a statesman for that of the country. The statesman wished to steer, while the politician was satisfied to drift.
SpinnerMan
hunter

Postby ibedamn » Fri Mar 28, 2014 1:38 pm

These are questions I have.

1. If they get paid, will it be taxable?

2. If taxable a student getting a 50,000.00 scholarship would have to be paid dam near 80 grand.

3. Title 9?

4. Would private schools be able to outbid state owned schools?

5. Does the quarterback get more than a left guard?

6. I heard (radio yesterday) that less than 30 colleges actually made money from their athletic department.
ibedamn
hunter

Postby ibedamn » Fri Mar 28, 2014 1:51 pm

goodkarmarising wrote:Why is there even sports in college and high school?

I can't speak for college, I was never good enough to play at that level. But, I will say high school football taught me a lot about off the field life. I'm sure it does not help everybody, but it did have a big impact on my life.
ibedamn
hunter

Postby Slack Tide » Fri Mar 28, 2014 1:53 pm

i_willie12 wrote:

I don't know what you mean.....pay now or pay later....you pay....
If you mean loans...sure...I'm 42 and I have $12k left in loans down from about $60k.... What's your point?
"I've been left for dead before but I'll still fight on, don't wait up, leave the light on, I'll be home soon"
Chris Smither
Slack Tide
hunter

Postby Slack Tide » Fri Mar 28, 2014 1:54 pm

Indaswamp wrote:
i_willie12 wrote:

Remember the thread is about athletes.....but I'll go with this...
You are right....and that's because they should have not gone to college in the first place....OR.....they went to some "13th grade" college that promised nothing but taking your money....
"I've been left for dead before but I'll still fight on, don't wait up, leave the light on, I'll be home soon"
Chris Smither
Slack Tide
hunter

Postby i_willie12 » Fri Mar 28, 2014 2:00 pm

Slack Tide wrote:
i_willie12 wrote:

I don't know what you mean.....pay now or pay later....you pay....
If you mean loans...sure...I'm 42 and I have $12k left in loans down from about $60k.... What's your point?

Your/they are making it sound like the kids that dont get athletic scholarships are paying for their school right then....
I'm saying that more of us took out student loans to pay for our schooling than got free rides! Not everyone gets a full ride that % is low
John Stephens RNT

i_willie12
hunter

Postby SpinnerMan » Fri Mar 28, 2014 2:12 pm

ibedamn wrote:6. I heard (radio yesterday) that less than 30 colleges actually made money from their athletic department.

How many colleges make money at all? I think you have to be careful. Almost none of these are for profit institutions, so the incentives do not exist for the athletic department to net a profit. Also, how do they account for alumni and booster donations? Would they go down without these programs? You betcha. How much? Image

Also Title 9. If you separate out the men's athletic department and the women's, what would you find out? The law forces universities to offset positive value men's programs with negative value women's programs? If it didn't, then we can eliminate the law and no women's programs would be cut :lol3: :lol3: :lol3:

If the athletic department didn't spend all it took in, then it would not provide the excuse for the PC BS academic programs to ask the taxpayers to foot the bill for them. It's a win-win for the bureaucrats because it leads to overall bigger budgets when they spend it all.
SpinnerMan
hunter

Postby vincentpa » Fri Mar 28, 2014 5:02 pm

The cost will be passed onto students with higher fees. All the douche's arguing for paying these azz wipes will be crying at the true cost to send their kids to school after college,turns into a professional paid sports league. This is a naked wealth redistribution play for minorities. Go ahead suckers, support it.
In a free society, it is not the obligation of the citizen to prove to the government that he is a good person. It is the obligation of the government to prove to the rest of the citizenry that the citizen is a bad person, with probable cause.
vincentpa
hunter

Postby Duck_Stank » Sat Mar 29, 2014 12:21 am

vincentpa wrote:The cost will be passed onto students with higher fees. All the douche's arguing for paying these azz wipes will be crying at the true cost to send their kids to school after college,turns into a professional paid sports league. This is a naked wealth redistribution play for minorities. Go ahead suckers, support it.

I like this notion.
Master of Reality
Duck_Stank
hunter

Postby Botiz630 » Sat Mar 29, 2014 2:08 am

Slack Tide wrote:It seeps down even lower than college.....here's one:
We had a few HS kids in a neighboring district who were charged with a gang rape with a gun involved....when the cops came to take them away at school....it was in the middle of a championship basketball game.....the coach actually said to the cops..."can they finish the game first?"

Look up the Steubenville, Ohio rape case. It made national news when it was going on, pretty much the whole town tried to cover up for the football team.

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Steubenv ... _rape_case
Holy Molly
Botiz630
Forum Moderator

Paying College football players..

Postby Botiz630 » Sat Mar 29, 2014 2:18 am

As for the subject of paying college athletes, any argument you make for it could pretty much be made about high school athletes. I think it's silly.

The vast majority of college athletes aren't on TV, aren't going to go pro, only receive a fraction of their education costs in scholarship and play at a level below NCAA D1. It's funny that you never hear them complain about compensation. The only ones that are throwing a fit over it are the small percentage at the top who are getting a full ride scholarship to a top program with room, board, transportation, books, clothing and food taken care of.
Holy Molly
Botiz630
Forum Moderator

Postby beretta24 » Sat Mar 29, 2014 6:51 am

Botiz630 wrote:As for the subject of paying college athletes, any argument you make for it could pretty much be made about high school athletes. I think it's silly.

The vast majority of college athletes aren't on TV, aren't going to go pro, only receive a fraction of their education costs in scholarship and play at a level below NCAA D1. It's funny that you never hear them complain about compensation. The only ones that are throwing a fit over it are the small percentage at the top who are getting a full ride scholarship to a top program with room, board, transportation, books, clothing and food taken care of.

85 of the 115 at NW had scholarships, and that was the basis for allowing them to unionize. The rest were left off.

Personally, I see no value in having collegiate sports beyond intramural sports, funded by athletes. The NBA and NFL can fund their own minors league systems if they need them. The focus of a university should be on education.
beretta24
State Moderator

Postby cartervj » Sat Mar 29, 2014 8:35 am

Title 9 will stop it
“Nothing makes me more certain of the victory of our ideas than our success in the universities” – Adolf H, 1930
cartervj
hunter

PreviousNext

Return to Controversial Issues Forum