need help from the CI crew

A forum not related to waterfowl for discussing the more controversial and hot topic issues in our world from immigration, politics, the war, etc..

Moderators: Smackaduck, MM

Re: need help from the CI crew

Postby beretta24 » Mon Mar 31, 2014 9:14 am

Anyway.....Ohio, I got nothing for you. In my mind they should be encouraged to strive for not getting any special attention and work to produce to their capability. Knowing them, you are in the best place to judge what that will take.
beretta24
State Moderator

Postby WTN10 » Mon Mar 31, 2014 9:46 am

The Five Figure Club.
2014 Season Totals:
Mallards: 243
Redheads: 114
Woodducks: 119
Grebes: 36
Blue Geese: 134
Snow Geese: 178
Hawks: 4
WTN10
hunter

Postby TomKat » Mon Mar 31, 2014 11:05 am

Glimmerjim wrote:
beretta24 wrote:You're projecting what you want to be true again. I took no offense to what you said.

Of course not. It was obviously just an example of what I was explaining with no personal projection implied. Even a conservative should be able to see that. Well, the Limbaugh, Hannity and Beck acolytes excepted, of course.

Back hurting you again Jimmy?
I am glad you never dogged me like that. I sure I deserve it. Would it make you feel better to know I voted twice for Ronald Reagan?
TomKat
Dorothy

Postby Glimmerjim » Mon Mar 31, 2014 12:05 pm

beretta24 wrote:Anyway.....Ohio, I got nothing for you.

There's a shocker....a conservative with no idea.
Glimmerjim
hunter

Postby Glimmerjim » Mon Mar 31, 2014 12:11 pm

WTN10 wrote:The Five Figure Club.

I'm sure Mitt would consider that a real knee-slapper.
Glimmerjim
hunter

Postby Glimmerjim » Mon Mar 31, 2014 12:21 pm

TomKat wrote:
Glimmerjim wrote:
beretta24 wrote:You're projecting what you want to be true again. I took no offense to what you said.

Of course not. It was obviously just an example of what I was explaining with no personal projection implied. Even a conservative should be able to see that. Well, the Limbaugh, Hannity and Beck acolytes excepted, of course.

Back hurting you again Jimmy?
I am glad you never dogged me like that. I sure I deserve it. Would it make you feel better to know I voted twice for Ronald Reagan?

:lol3:
Glimmerjim
hunter

Postby beretta24 » Mon Mar 31, 2014 12:25 pm

Did someone with a Mitt bumper sticker piss in your cheerios this am?
beretta24
State Moderator

Postby aunt betty » Mon Mar 31, 2014 12:30 pm

Try to shoehorn "Not Ready for Prime-Time Players" into what you're doing.
"Not quite up to superior yet". Something like that.
INTERNET CREDIBILITY is...an OXYMORON. :moon:
aunt betty
hunter

Postby ohioboy » Mon Mar 31, 2014 12:34 pm

beretta24 wrote:Anyway.....Ohio, I got nothing for you. In my mind they should be encouraged to strive for not getting any special attention and work to produce to their capability. Knowing them, you are in the best place to judge what that will take.

they are getting attention in the way of a teacher, me, who will oversee and coax their hopeful progress. we as a school are hoping to unlock the capability. look at it this way-these kids are likely dropouts or living off your tax dollars if they dont get something out of school.
ohioboy
hunter

Postby ohioboy » Mon Mar 31, 2014 12:36 pm

I would be very happy if they make 5 figures legally in 10 years. a lot of their parents are not. thus the need for me.

wtn, keep in mind i make 5 figures and will until the very end of my career. :no:
ohioboy
hunter

Postby beretta24 » Mon Mar 31, 2014 12:46 pm

ohioboy wrote:
beretta24 wrote:Anyway.....Ohio, I got nothing for you. In my mind they should be encouraged to strive for not getting any special attention and work to produce to their capability. Knowing them, you are in the best place to judge what that will take.

they are getting attention in the way of a teacher, me, who will oversee and coax their hopeful progress. we as a school are hoping to unlock the capability. look at it this way-these kids are likely dropouts or living off your tax dollars if they dont get something out of school.

I wasn't trying to knock what you're doing, but I think the ultimate goal should be to instill a sense of pride that says I don't need to be raised up because I am there, and I think you're in the best position to see what next steps are needed. I don't know those kids so it would be pure conjecture on my part.
beretta24
State Moderator

Postby ohioboy » Mon Mar 31, 2014 12:50 pm

beretta24 wrote:
ohioboy wrote:

I wasn't trying to knock what you're doing, but I think the ultimate goal should be to instill a sense of pride that says I don't need to be raised up because I am there, and I think you're in the best position to see what next steps are needed. I don't know those kids so it would be pure conjecture on my part.

not taken as a knock at all. pride is what most lack. nothing much to be proud of-yet. let's see if i can do something about that.
ohioboy
hunter

Postby Glimmerjim » Mon Mar 31, 2014 1:02 pm

ohioboy wrote:

I would be very happy if they make 5 figures legally in 10 years. a lot of their parents are not. thus the need for me.

wtn, keep in mind i make 5 figures and will until the very end of my career. :no:

Good on ya, ohio! You have one of the most important careers in the nation, and the fact that you do it for a dollar less or more than some other professions only makes it that more admirable. There are certainly plenty out there who contribute little to society but acrimony and greed for any squeezable buck and consider income as the measure of a man. As demonstrated explicitly just a short bit ago.
Glimmerjim
hunter

Postby Botiz630 » Mon Mar 31, 2014 4:42 pm

How about the established group? Sort of implies that they've achieved something but at the same time doesn't necessarily mean they've really excelled. What do you think?
Holy Molly
Botiz630
Forum Moderator

Postby dudejcb » Mon Mar 31, 2014 8:19 pm

How about The Wrecking Crew. A catchy name that ironically describes how they wreck misconceptions about them and their life trajectory.

Back in the day there was a group of professional musicians that produced an awful lot of "hit" music that went out under different names and for different things: advertizing jingles, TV show theme songs, and hit songs for everyone from Sinatra to Leonard Cohen. (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Wrecki ... 28music%29)

I think kids would like the name--it's got some gravitas--and the implication they are wrecking stereotypes by knocking out academics and achieving hard fought successes that no one, maybe even themselves, thought likely.
What's so funny 'bout peace love and understanding?
dudejcb
hunter

Postby ohioboy » Mon Mar 31, 2014 8:36 pm

dudejcb wrote:How about The Wrecking Crew. A catchy name that ironically describes how they wreck misconceptions about them and their life trajectory.

Back in the day there was a group of professional musicians that produced an awful lot of "hit" music that went out under different names and for different things: advertizing jingles, TV show theme songs, and hit songs for everyone from Sinatra to Leonard Cohen. (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Wrecki ... 28music%29)

I think kids would like the name--it's got some gravitas--and the implication they are wrecking stereotypes by knocking out academics and achieving hard fought successes that no one, maybe even themselves, thought likely.

like it. dont know if admin will. i will ask regardless. wrecking crew has some swagger to it. that group might like it.
ohioboy
hunter

Postby Glimmerjim » Mon Mar 31, 2014 8:57 pm

ohioboy wrote:

Some are still wading in the shallow end of the pool of humanity, ohio. They think they're taller because more of them sticks out of the water.
Glimmerjim
hunter

Postby ohioboy » Mon Mar 31, 2014 9:01 pm

Glimmerjim wrote:
ohioboy wrote:

Some are still wading in the shallow end of the pool of humanity, ohio. They think they're taller because more of them sticks out of the water.

some do not realize how arrogant they sound. old argument. maybe if i made 6 figures i would be happy....we all know money buys happiness. :fingerhead:
ohioboy
hunter

Postby clampdaddy » Mon Mar 31, 2014 9:42 pm

beretta24 wrote:Wow, did I inadvertently hit a nerve? It wasn't intended as a personal attack, any more than what Vinny said, but per your usual form you overly react...have a nice day Jim.

Well, you did question his mothers integrity by suggesting that she may have taken drugs while pregnant. Not really a joke most would use with anyone other than a close friend. Guys fist fight over much less.
clampdaddy
hunter

Postby beretta24 » Mon Mar 31, 2014 11:11 pm

Well first, I don't think smoking, whether a joint or otherwise, was particularly frowned upon in the timeframe in which Jim was born, nor did I explicitly say I thought it was a bad thing.

All that aside, he's stated worse to me in PMs without me taking offense so I honestly didn't see my comments as crossing the proverbial line he chose to draw in the sand this time.
beretta24
State Moderator

Postby Glimmerjim » Tue Apr 01, 2014 1:13 am

clampdaddy wrote:
beretta24 wrote:Wow, did I inadvertently hit a nerve? It wasn't intended as a personal attack, any more than what Vinny said, but per your usual form you overly react...have a nice day Jim.

Well, you did question his mothers integrity by suggesting that she may have taken drugs while pregnant. Not really a joke most would use with anyone other than a close friend. Guys fist fight over much less.

Thank you, cd. Right or wrong, that's how it struck....as a direct, maliciously intended impugnment of my deceased parents. I just finished spending a week with my brother in AZ, discussing among things who my parents were. They were of the WWII generation, during which, I am sure I must explain to beretta, taking drugs in any form except alcohol and nicotine was a self-centered weakness for a decadent class. Had you suggested anything resembling that statement to my father you would have spent one hell of a stretch at the orthodontist, and the rest of your life wishing you had done what he accomplished in a few minutes......keeping your mouth shut.
Further, I researched every interaction you and I had through pm's since the day I started on this forum. There was one interaction. I called you a punk. A statement of fact is far different than a derogatory insinuation of one's relatives. If you think I am misstating the reality, post my supposedly "far worse" pm I addressed to you. If you can't do it you're just a liar, and I can only wish that I could tell you to your face.
Last edited by Glimmerjim on Tue Apr 01, 2014 3:06 am, edited 2 times in total.
Glimmerjim
hunter

Postby Glimmerjim » Tue Apr 01, 2014 1:21 am

ohioboy wrote:
Glimmerjim wrote:
ohioboy wrote:

some do not realize how arrogant they sound. old argument. maybe if i made 6 figures i would be happy....we all know money buys happiness. :fingerhead:

Well, considering the actual character in question, ohio, I doubt that a lot of paralegal assistants and substitute receptionists actually attain the 6 figure goal. Unless, of course, they are counting the two numerals after the decimal point.
Glimmerjim
hunter

Postby beretta24 » Tue Apr 01, 2014 4:29 am

Glimmerjim wrote:
clampdaddy wrote:

Thank you, cd. Right or wrong, that's how it struck....as a direct, maliciously intended impugnment of my deceased parents. I just finished spending a week with my brother in AZ, discussing among things who my parents were. They were of the WWII generation, during which, I am sure I must explain to beretta, taking drugs in any form except alcohol and nicotine was a self-centered weakness for a decadent class. Had you suggested anything resembling that statement to my father you would have spent one hell of a stretch at the orthodontist, and the rest of your life wishing you had done what he accomplished in a few minutes......keeping your mouth shut.
Further, I researched every interaction you and I had through pm's since the day I started on this forum. There was one interaction. I called you a punk. A statement of fact is far different than a derogatory insinuation of one's relatives. If you think I am misstating the reality, post my supposedly "far worse" pm I addressed to you. If you can't do it you're just a liar, and I can only wish that I could tell you to your face.

It was a joke Jim. Forgive me for assuming you would see it as just that. I viewed our previous exchange as worse because there was no joking on your part. I thought we were passed that and beyond getting worked up over a joke. I'm done hijacking Ohio's thread.
beretta24
State Moderator

Postby Andy W » Tue Apr 01, 2014 7:16 am

ohioboy wrote:I am looking for a word to describe average students-not scholars, not the failures. BUT I am looking to frame average in a positive light as these are students who have not been average to this point.

It sounds like they have shown signs of improvement. If that's the case, something with "climbers" or "achievers" may be a good name.
Andy W
hunter

Postby Glimmerjim » Tue Apr 01, 2014 8:42 am

beretta24 wrote: It was a joke Jim. Forgive me for assuming you would see it as just that. I viewed our previous exchange as worse because there was no joking on your part. I thought we were passed that and beyond getting worked up over a joke. I'm done hijacking Ohio's thread.

Fair enough, beretta. I have a lot of experience in posting what I thought was a joke only to having it taken very wrongly. Perhaps there are remnants of a raw nerve lurking in there somewhere. As far as I am concerned our exchange never occured, and no hard feelings remain. I apologize for getting more carried away than I should have. Sometimes the internet simply does not convey the spirit in which statements are meant. I hope we can get back to civil disagreement! :lol3:
Glimmerjim
hunter

PreviousNext

Return to Controversial Issues Forum