Sea Level Rise

A forum not related to waterfowl for discussing the more controversial and hot topic issues in our world from immigration, politics, the war, etc..

Moderators: Smackaduck, MM

Re: Sea Level Rise

Postby huntmmup » Fri Apr 25, 2014 10:07 am

Duck_Stank wrote:And guys, as mentioned earlier any decreases in CO2 take a long, long time to show any results. Please consider this, do you and everyone you know care to chuck spears and wear animals again? Highly doubt it, so nothing will really change.

So what you say is since the CO2 takes a long time to decrease, we should say screw it dont do anything just keep putting more and more and more into the atmosphere! That again is just stupid.

And if we replace coal power plants with nuclear and natural gas (the IPCC even backs fracking, so there goes your "they are all anti capitalism") you wont have to chuck spears and wear animals, that is just asinine.
huntmmup
hunter

Postby ScaupHunter » Fri Apr 25, 2014 11:01 am

Asinine : When someone says knee jerk and freak out because there might some day be a problem and CO2 doesn't dispiate quickly. With no proof of said supposition. While totally missing the counterpoint in his own argument that if it takes forever to go away. Just exacltly how quickly does it build up? More importantly what are the real parameters and warming.

Thought you might need that help there buddy! :lol3:

Lets chat about China and Russia and how much CO2 they are producing. Lets talk about billions wasted because you are a panicker. Lets talk about the fact that you don't get to shove your ideas down our throats at the cost of billions of dollars. :thumbsup:
Bella's
Decoy Setting Pro Staff
Boat Operator Pro Staff
Duck Shooting Pro Staff
Warm Towel Pro Staff
Snack Supply Pro Staff

He works for free! Who's the B now?
ScaupHunter
hunter

Postby SpinnerMan » Fri Apr 25, 2014 11:24 am

huntmmup wrote:So what you say is since the CO2 takes a long time to decrease, we should say screw it dont do anything just keep putting more and more and more into the atmosphere! That again is just stupid.

And if we replace coal power plants with nuclear and natural gas (the IPCC even backs fracking, so there goes your "they are all anti capitalism") you wont have to chuck spears and wear animals, that is just asinine.

How do you propose to force China to do this? How about India? How about Russia?

I have not seen ANY credible plan that would get China on board and China may well be producing half of the CO2 by mid century. Do we go to war if they refuse to get on board? Do we hamstring ourselves economically while an aggressive national like China expands militarily and economically? If you are serious, and I've been seriously involved with this for quite awhile now, it is very tough to see how we really change the course we are on. Like it or not, sometimes prayer is all you have.

Now, the biggest reason it seems like we are doing nothing is because the morons in DC. We cannot build a damn thing in this country. If the administration cannot build a damn website, do you think they can build a next generation nuclear power plant?

Things that should have been built and operating so we can learn how to make them better.

http://www.inl.gov/research/next-generation-nuclear-plant/
This is a terrible floundering project that I have had peripheral involvement with. I don't know the current status, but for something that is supposed to be such a priority, why is the government not acting like it. They build lots of token wind and solar, but that is inadequate and does not help you in transportation. This is one path. And if successful, it would be a source of cheaper electricity as well. I like the concept for many reasons. Like all of them. Cost is a big challenge.

http://www.ne.anl.gov/About/reactors/integral-fast-reactor.shtml
Clinton killed this one. This should have been built and operating. There are challenges with recycling nuclear fuel and keeping the cost reasonable. Nothing I have seen indicates that that is even absolutely necessary. It may be and this is one path to get there. The fast reactor opens up a lot of options. I have been heavily involved in variations of this concept for more than a decade.

It looks like the South Koreans are going to build this in cooperation with the U.S. I just started working a very minimal amount on that project.

http://terrapower.com/
Of course, probably the best thing to do is get government out of the way. These guys will likely be building reactors in China in the future. They are not going to waste their time with the U.S. bureaucracy. I know a lot of people that work for this company. I've flirted with the idea of working with this company. If I were much younger, I think this is where I'd be.

We need to build things and those things are expensive and risky (financially). This is the limited role for the federal government, but they cannot even build a freaking website, so as much as we try to do things, I fear it is not going to happen. Not exactly exciting prospects for my future. Now personally, I think the reason for doing these things is less about CO2 and more about other environment and health and safety issues, but two birds with one stone.
A politician thinks of the next election; a statesman of the next generation. A politician looks for the success of his party; a statesman for that of the country. The statesman wished to steer, while the politician was satisfied to drift.
SpinnerMan
hunter

Postby Duck_Stank » Fri Apr 25, 2014 2:38 pm

huntmmup wrote:
Duck_Stank wrote:And guys, as mentioned earlier any decreases in CO2 take a long, long time to show any results. Please consider this, do you and everyone you know care to chuck spears and wear animals again? Highly doubt it, so nothing will really change.

So what you say is since the CO2 takes a long time to decrease, we should say screw it dont do anything just keep putting more and more and more into the atmosphere! That again is just stupid.

I like coal. Loads of jobs. And calm down, my attachment is a hundred percent correct :) you get upset easily, I see. Want to help the environment? Don't have kids, chuck spears and wear animal skins. That's the best you can do.
Master of Reality
Duck_Stank
hunter

Previous

Return to Controversial Issues Forum