Sea Level Rise

A forum not related to waterfowl for discussing the more controversial and hot topic issues in our world from immigration, politics, the war, etc..

Moderators: Smackaduck, MM

Re: Sea Level Rise

Postby ohioboy » Thu Apr 24, 2014 9:39 am

I want to know how long before Spinner and Bluesky go on a date. :sarcmark:
User avatar
ohioboy
hunter
 
Posts: 2351
Joined: Mon Apr 06, 2009 9:28 pm
Location: MoCo, MD


Re: Sea Level Rise

Postby Bluesky2012 » Thu Apr 24, 2014 9:45 am

Huntemmup did you read any of my posts about feedback loops, really? Because that should suffice. We do not know if it would affect it significantly at all because of the natural buffering systems. How much would be absorbed into the ocean, how much would cause initial heat increases then a total net decrease after cloud production? We don't know. If you can prove it, then go jump on your beloved IPCC. I'd love to know your credentials for this argument though. What do you "know about the greenhouse effect"? 5th grade picture charts?

And cry about your graph? I just stated that we are in an overall cooling trend shown through an actual geological time scale. Not 15 years. That's the blink of an eye.

No bud, my science lays through research with the us naval research laboratories and NOAA. I have worked and studied for both during my life. What's you do? Read Wikipedia?
"There are only two kinds of people that understand Marines: Marines and the enemy. Everyone else has a second-hand opinion."

"If you don't chew big red, then f- you"
User avatar
Bluesky2012
hunter
 
Posts: 588
Joined: Sat Aug 11, 2012 12:14 pm

Re: Sea Level Rise

Postby Bluesky2012 » Thu Apr 24, 2014 9:45 am

ohioboy wrote:I want to know how long before Spinner and Bluesky go on a date. :sarcmark:


He's not my type. Sorry spinner
"There are only two kinds of people that understand Marines: Marines and the enemy. Everyone else has a second-hand opinion."

"If you don't chew big red, then f- you"
User avatar
Bluesky2012
hunter
 
Posts: 588
Joined: Sat Aug 11, 2012 12:14 pm

Re: Sea Level Rise

Postby go get the bird » Thu Apr 24, 2014 9:46 am

huntmmup wrote:go get the bird, oh youre a grammar and spelling Nazi? Only pretentious immature college kids have ever complained about my spelling and grammar on the internet, but I bet you feel good about yourself.

I've never overstated my importance, especially to this community, nor am I German.

I do, however, find it incredibly entertaining when someone plays the part of intelligence, only to turn around and open the curtains, revealing an empty set.

You, sir, are a master of your craft. Bravo!
MackieKnife wrote:The moral of the story is...I'm retarded.
User avatar
go get the bird
hunter
 
Posts: 3269
Joined: Tue Oct 18, 2011 1:12 pm

Re: Sea Level Rise

Postby huntmmup » Thu Apr 24, 2014 9:49 am

bluesky, your presumption that I have not studied atmospheric science and climatology just because I dont have a fancy degree like you do makes you look stupid.

The "solution" is very simple, hedge our bets. Reduce greenhouse gas emissions as much as possible, but dont go crazy with it. If all the scientists, governments, scientific organizations are all wrong and have been lying to us for some ridiculous reason, and all the science has been faked, then ok we lost some money and maybe a little standard of living. If they are right though, then we will have potentially saved our kids and grandkids from a terrible environmental problem. Not hedging when the upside is avoiding screwing the planet for our kids and grandkids and the downside is .06% of gdp just doesnt make any logical sense.
huntmmup
hunter
 
Posts: 55
Joined: Mon Apr 14, 2014 3:27 pm

Re: Sea Level Rise

Postby Bluesky2012 » Thu Apr 24, 2014 9:53 am

To add to your repertoire,

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Solar_cycle

That will fit nicely with your graph. Add in there the carbon dioxide and methane graphs and take a look.

Also read up on the global cooling scare prior to global warming.
"There are only two kinds of people that understand Marines: Marines and the enemy. Everyone else has a second-hand opinion."

"If you don't chew big red, then f- you"
User avatar
Bluesky2012
hunter
 
Posts: 588
Joined: Sat Aug 11, 2012 12:14 pm

Re: Sea Level Rise

Postby huntmmup » Thu Apr 24, 2014 9:56 am

You got the answer wrong. If CO2 in the atmosphere was increased 1000x, temperatures would certainly increase.

Ocean absorption wouldn't make any sizable dent in that amount of CO2, and even if the entire planet were covered in clouds, the amount of solar radiation reflected is miniscule. The fact that people who call themselves scientists can say that a massive increase in greenhouse gases in the atmosphere might not cause warming is really scary. I would suggest reading about Venus.
huntmmup
hunter
 
Posts: 55
Joined: Mon Apr 14, 2014 3:27 pm

Re: Sea Level Rise

Postby go get the bird » Thu Apr 24, 2014 9:56 am

huntmmup wrote:bluesky, your presumption that I have not studied atmospheric science and climatology just because I dont have a fancy degree like you do makes you look stupid.


I've read magazines, VERY in depth books, and scientific publications on quantum physics and mechanics. That doesn't make me a physicist.
MackieKnife wrote:The moral of the story is...I'm retarded.
User avatar
go get the bird
hunter
 
Posts: 3269
Joined: Tue Oct 18, 2011 1:12 pm

Re: Sea Level Rise

Postby huntmmup » Thu Apr 24, 2014 10:00 am

go get the bird wrote:
huntmmup wrote:go get the bird, oh youre a grammar and spelling Nazi? Only pretentious immature college kids have ever complained about my spelling and grammar on the internet, but I bet you feel good about yourself.

I've never overstated my importance, especially to this community, nor am I German.

I do, however, find it incredibly entertaining when someone plays the part of intelligence, only to turn around and open the curtains, revealing an empty set.

You, sir, are a master of your craft. Bravo!


You might be interested to learn that there are devices called "tablets" some of which have very small screens, and correcting spelling mistakes/deleting auto-completes and retyping them is difficult and a waste of time. If it makes you feel better though I'll use proper spelling and grammar, delete all of the auto-completes of your/you're their/there/they're, use apostrophes everywhere they're necessary, etc.

No, no I won't. Stop whining about spelling and grammar, it's the internet, not a college classroom.
huntmmup
hunter
 
Posts: 55
Joined: Mon Apr 14, 2014 3:27 pm

Re: Sea Level Rise

Postby huntmmup » Thu Apr 24, 2014 10:02 am

go get the bird wrote:
huntmmup wrote:bluesky, your presumption that I have not studied atmospheric science and climatology just because I dont have a fancy degree like you do makes you look stupid.


I've read magazines, VERY in depth books, and scientific publications on quantum physics and mechanics. That doesn't make me a physicist.


But it does mean you don't know anything about physics, right? Wrong. You probably know a lot, which is why appealing to authority based on university degrees is outright stupid.
huntmmup
hunter
 
Posts: 55
Joined: Mon Apr 14, 2014 3:27 pm

Re: Sea Level Rise

Postby Bluesky2012 » Thu Apr 24, 2014 10:03 am

huntmmup wrote:You got the answer wrong. If CO2 in the atmosphere was increased 1000x, temperatures would certainly increase.

Ocean absorption wouldn't make any sizable dent in that amount of CO2, and even if the entire planet were covered in clouds, the amount of solar radiation reflected is miniscule. The fact that people who call themselves scientists can say that a massive increase in greenhouse gases in the atmosphere might not cause warming is really scary. I would suggest reading about Venus.



Hahaha is that a joke you tell at a bar? Where did you get figures to support that model?

Our atmosphere and climatological processes aren't Venus for one, also the amount of solar radiation hitting Venus is significantly higher there, also if that statement was 100% true no doubts, and we completely understood that mixed with the earths natural buffering systems, then there wouldn't be a debate about global climate change now would there?
"There are only two kinds of people that understand Marines: Marines and the enemy. Everyone else has a second-hand opinion."

"If you don't chew big red, then f- you"
User avatar
Bluesky2012
hunter
 
Posts: 588
Joined: Sat Aug 11, 2012 12:14 pm

Sea Level Rise

Postby Bluesky2012 » Thu Apr 24, 2014 10:04 am

Yea you're right, who needs college? I mean just because someone went to med school doesn't mean they know medicine, right? I'll go to a witch doctor or read about surgery on Wikipedia and I'll be fine.
"There are only two kinds of people that understand Marines: Marines and the enemy. Everyone else has a second-hand opinion."

"If you don't chew big red, then f- you"
User avatar
Bluesky2012
hunter
 
Posts: 588
Joined: Sat Aug 11, 2012 12:14 pm

Re: Sea Level Rise

Postby huntmmup » Thu Apr 24, 2014 10:06 am

The PhDs do know a lot! And a very large majority of the climatology PhDs say that global warming has been anthropogenic.

You have a PhD? Link to some of your papers, we would love to read them.
huntmmup
hunter
 
Posts: 55
Joined: Mon Apr 14, 2014 3:27 pm

Re: Sea Level Rise

Postby huntmmup » Thu Apr 24, 2014 10:08 am

I'm guessing you are the 1 paper, right?

http://www.weather.com/news/science/env ... g-20140122
huntmmup
hunter
 
Posts: 55
Joined: Mon Apr 14, 2014 3:27 pm

Re: Sea Level Rise

Postby Bluesky2012 » Thu Apr 24, 2014 10:12 am

Didn't say I have my phd yet, but the analogy stays the same. I have studied with professionals and worked with them. I would bet then that would make me a bit more knowledgeable at the subject at hand. And believe it or not, many PhDs do not concur with the IPCC. I'd suggest researching it.

As they say though, you can push against a wall all day but it won't move.
"There are only two kinds of people that understand Marines: Marines and the enemy. Everyone else has a second-hand opinion."

"If you don't chew big red, then f- you"
User avatar
Bluesky2012
hunter
 
Posts: 588
Joined: Sat Aug 11, 2012 12:14 pm

Re: Sea Level Rise

Postby Bluesky2012 » Thu Apr 24, 2014 10:14 am

Also in order to get funding, typically the government has to approve and support it. Don't think in the past many years, a lot of funding has gone towards work to disprove the liberal agenda.
"There are only two kinds of people that understand Marines: Marines and the enemy. Everyone else has a second-hand opinion."

"If you don't chew big red, then f- you"
User avatar
Bluesky2012
hunter
 
Posts: 588
Joined: Sat Aug 11, 2012 12:14 pm

Re: Sea Level Rise

Postby huntmmup » Thu Apr 24, 2014 10:18 am

Ok, name some of the scientists you have worked with. Really, name some names.

Are they all part of the 9,136 authors of peer reviewed papers on global warming who agreed it is antropogenic, or is one of them the 1 author who disagreed?
huntmmup
hunter
 
Posts: 55
Joined: Mon Apr 14, 2014 3:27 pm

Re: Sea Level Rise

Postby Bluesky2012 » Thu Apr 24, 2014 10:21 am

Haha dude were you bullied in school? You get really emotional about it. How are you even this involved with this topic at this time of day? Do you not have a job? I know liberals hate work but still...

And I worked with people on both sides of that argument.
"There are only two kinds of people that understand Marines: Marines and the enemy. Everyone else has a second-hand opinion."

"If you don't chew big red, then f- you"
User avatar
Bluesky2012
hunter
 
Posts: 588
Joined: Sat Aug 11, 2012 12:14 pm

Re: Sea Level Rise

Postby huntmmup » Thu Apr 24, 2014 10:26 am

I'm libertarian and retired. Name some names so that we can read their research. You worked with people on both sides of the argument, but I only see 1 PhD on the "other" side of the argument. So who did you work with?
huntmmup
hunter
 
Posts: 55
Joined: Mon Apr 14, 2014 3:27 pm

Re: Sea Level Rise

Postby go get the bird » Thu Apr 24, 2014 10:28 am

huntmmup wrote:
go get the bird wrote:
huntmmup wrote:bluesky, your presumption that I have not studied atmospheric science and climatology just because I dont have a fancy degree like you do makes you look stupid.


I've read magazines, VERY in depth books, and scientific publications on quantum physics and mechanics. That doesn't make me a physicist.


But it does mean you don't know anything about physics, right? Wrong. You probably know a lot, which is why appealing to authority based on university degrees is outright stupid.


Should I be allowed to perform surgery on infants simply because I've read medical journals? Would you be willing to put your childs life in the hands of anyone OTHER than a degree-holding professional?

Should I be allowed to practice law because I've read every word of every legal finding ever written? Would you take legal advice from someone who frequents the courtroom, simply because they've been there more than you?

No. You wouldn't, or at least I hope you wouldn't.

Why should we trust the words, or findings, of someone who does not have an education in the specific field in question?

The same goes for any field. There are a few people here that I would consider doctors of trapping. These are people who not only know ALL the tricks in the books, they practice them, and constantly find better, more efficient ways of trapping. They are successful at capturing critters. You can read all you want. Until you enter the field, until you participate on the leading edge, until you educate yourself, you're no different than the homeless man that sits on the corner proclaiming the sky is falling.
MackieKnife wrote:The moral of the story is...I'm retarded.
User avatar
go get the bird
hunter
 
Posts: 3269
Joined: Tue Oct 18, 2011 1:12 pm

Re: Sea Level Rise

Postby Bluesky2012 » Thu Apr 24, 2014 10:33 am

I don't think you understand being libertarian if you want to force the market to drop .6% of its GDP through government regulation. Cool story though bud.

And I'm not going to be dropping names of guys I've worked with on a duck hunting forum. Poor etiquette. But if that gets your panties in a wad, sorry.
"There are only two kinds of people that understand Marines: Marines and the enemy. Everyone else has a second-hand opinion."

"If you don't chew big red, then f- you"
User avatar
Bluesky2012
hunter
 
Posts: 588
Joined: Sat Aug 11, 2012 12:14 pm

Re: Sea Level Rise

Postby huntmmup » Thu Apr 24, 2014 10:35 am

go get the bird then fine, lets only trust the experts who have done significant research. http://www.weather.com/news/science/env ... g-20140122 In the last year 9,136 out of 9,137 of the climatology experts agreed that global warming is real and man made. So argument over.

bluesky so you say you have a degree and have worked with scientists on "both sides" of the argument, I tell you that only 1 of over 9,000 is actually on the "other side", but you won't even list the supposed PhDs you worked with who are on the other side. Right, we believe you.
huntmmup
hunter
 
Posts: 55
Joined: Mon Apr 14, 2014 3:27 pm

Re: Sea Level Rise

Postby Bluesky2012 » Thu Apr 24, 2014 10:49 am

Sorry for being polite and not throwing out names. It's ok if you don't believe me or what information you can learn in a classroom or books.

But you're right, scientists are always right and are never subtly strong armed by political needs. Believe the same ones who prior to the 90's believed global freezing would kill us all. There is a much higher lack of consensus than what your article admits. Like I said, do some research and think about who is receiving the grants from the current administration.
"There are only two kinds of people that understand Marines: Marines and the enemy. Everyone else has a second-hand opinion."

"If you don't chew big red, then f- you"
User avatar
Bluesky2012
hunter
 
Posts: 588
Joined: Sat Aug 11, 2012 12:14 pm

Re: Sea Level Rise

Postby SpinnerMan » Thu Apr 24, 2014 10:54 am

huntmmup wrote:Just answer this one question: in a hypothetical world where all else stayed the same, if the levels of CO2 in our atmosphere increased 1000x, would the temperature of the planet increase or decrease?
It would go up.

Can you answer, how much it would go up if we increased it by 0.02%?

Are we in trouble when CO2 gets to 0.045% or 0.05% or 0.1% or what is the level where we are in trouble?

Nobody disputes that everything else being equal, which it never is because the climate has varied and will continue to vary no matter what we do, that CO2 puts upward pressure on the average temperature. They question that is unknowable is how much and the equally important question is what are the effects of that upward pressure.

huntmmup wrote:The "solution" is very simple, hedge our bets. Reduce greenhouse gas emissions as much as possible, but dont go crazy with it. If all the scientists, governments, scientific organizations are all wrong and have been lying to us for some ridiculous reason, and all the science has been faked, then ok we lost some money and maybe a little standard of living. If they are right though, then we will have potentially saved our kids and grandkids from a terrible environmental problem. Not hedging when the upside is avoiding screwing the planet for our kids and grandkids and the downside is .06% of gdp just doesnt make any logical sense.

It is an extremely costly hedge. That is the problem. It is easy to say, hey it's only .06% of gdp. Well that is 10,000 million dollars just in the U.S. Think what can be done with $10,000,000,000. And that is just one year. It is 10 times that without including the compounded growth. That is a huge cost.

Bluesky2012 wrote:
ohioboy wrote:I want to know how long before Spinner and Bluesky go on a date. :sarcmark:


He's not my type. Sorry spinner

How do you know, you've never met me? Image

For all I know, you could be a hot chick. Although, my wife would have something to say about it Image
A politician thinks of the next election; a statesman of the next generation. A politician looks for the success of his party; a statesman for that of the country. The statesman wished to steer, while the politician was satisfied to drift.
User avatar
SpinnerMan
hunter
 
Posts: 16029
Joined: Mon Dec 12, 2005 11:24 am
Location: Joliet, IL

Re: Sea Level Rise

Postby Bluesky2012 » Thu Apr 24, 2014 10:59 am

Haha not a hot chick. Hunk of man meat maybe...
"There are only two kinds of people that understand Marines: Marines and the enemy. Everyone else has a second-hand opinion."

"If you don't chew big red, then f- you"
User avatar
Bluesky2012
hunter
 
Posts: 588
Joined: Sat Aug 11, 2012 12:14 pm

PreviousNext

Return to Controversial Issues Forum

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 3 guests