Too white

A forum not related to waterfowl for discussing the more controversial and hot topic issues in our world from immigration, politics, the war, etc..

Moderators: Smackaduck, MM

Re: Too white

Postby dudejcb » Thu Apr 17, 2014 8:24 pm

On the X wrote:
beretta24 wrote:He doesn't deserve "leniency" anymore than anyone else, but the mindless lib bashing around here gets old. I've called Dude out on bs before, and he's called me out. I'm not giving you special treatment.

I'm not nor have been bashing anyone here there or anywhere else as I'm not a basher. Nor am I a pile-on but Dude chose not to debate (which now he is and very respectfully I may add) and instead acted out, what should I have done, debated with him whether I WAS an idiot? I don't think so, what if I'd lost lol.
X, I don;t think you're an idiot. I say those things form time to time to get the poster's attention.

As for my posting regularity: I work (consult) on a military base. I can read DHC but cannot post but if I try to post the firewall boots me, so I cannot carry one a dialogue unless I take the time to use my IPad, but ordinarily I'm too busy to become that involved until I get home, which is usually late in the day (the base is 60 miles from my house). However, I may be changing jobs so that much of my work will either be from home or on the road...in either case I should stick to work more, and play chat games less. That said I feel it's my duty as one of the few liberal progressive duck hunters to do my best to get you guys to consider things from another perspective.
What's so funny 'bout peace love and understanding?
dudejcb
hunter

Postby On the X » Thu Apr 17, 2014 8:48 pm

dudejcb wrote: That said I feel it's my duty as one of the few liberal progressive duck hunters to do my best to get you guys to consider things from another perspective.

May I ask why you're a liberal? Or can you give me reasons why you think liberalism is better than conservatism? Oh, and I've duck hunted with liberals, both were friends of mine and both wanted to talk politics the whole damn time. I like to talk duck hunting while duck hunting. I never discuss politics with my friends I would consider conservative but the two liberal friends sure waned to discuss it. Maybe because they both felt inclined as you do.
On the X
hunter

Postby ohioboy » Thu Apr 17, 2014 9:19 pm

On the X wrote:
dudejcb wrote: That said I feel it's my duty as one of the few liberal progressive duck hunters to do my best to get you guys to consider things from another perspective.

May I ask why you're a liberal? Or can you give me reasons why you think liberalism is better than conservatism? Oh, and I've duck hunted with liberals, both were friends of mine and both wanted to talk politics the whole damn time. I like to talk duck hunting while duck hunting. I never discuss politics with my friends I would consider conservative but the two liberal friends sure waned to discuss it. Maybe because they both felt inclined as you do.

stop talking. you will kill more birds.
ohioboy
hunter

Postby Glimmerjim » Thu Apr 17, 2014 10:23 pm

dude and beretta....dude, you are doing a great job of bringing valid information to the front against typical knee-jerk reaction to any take other than a jingoistic, ultra-conservative point of view which dominates the input on this forum. That is what debate is all about, seeing another side to an issue as opposed to simply extrapolating from a preconceived position.
And beretta, you are to be commended for simply giving someone with a different platform than the norm some respect for having a different take. You're right...this is what this forum should be about. In most cases it is not based on reasoning, but on proselytizing a position accepted long ago that in many minds requires vehement defense, regardless of the specific situation.
Kudos to you both. More of this type of interaction would lead to increased understanding, rather than a more staunch, mindless, position of "I'm right, you're wrong. and you're stupid to think as you do." :thumbsup:
Glimmerjim
hunter

Postby beretta24 » Fri Apr 18, 2014 7:46 am

Don't get too excited GJ. I just want a few of you goofballs to stick around so I have someone to throw rocks at. :hi:
beretta24
State Moderator

Postby ScaupHunter » Fri Apr 18, 2014 8:28 am

Glimmerjim wrote:dude and beretta....dude, you are doing a great job of bringing valid information to the front against typical knee-jerk reaction to any take other than a jingoistic, ultra-conservative point of view which dominates the input on this forum. That is what debate is all about, seeing another side to an issue as opposed to simply extrapolating from a preconceived position.
And beretta, you are to be commended for simply giving someone with a different platform than the norm some respect for having a different take. You're right...this is what this forum should be about. In most cases it is not based on reasoning, but on proselytizing a position accepted long ago that in many minds requires vehement defense, regardless of the specific situation.
Kudos to you both. More of this type of interaction would lead to increased understanding, rather than a more staunch, mindless, position of "I'm right, you're wrong. and you're stupid to think as you do." :thumbsup:

Yes Jim, Liberals everywhere are just expanding our minds. They are all so selfless and just looking to be understood. :wink:

All while shoving crap we don't want down our throats, telling us to just accept it, and then expecting us to believe it is for our best interest. :tongue:
Bella's
Decoy Setting Pro Staff
Boat Operator Pro Staff
Duck Shooting Pro Staff
Warm Towel Pro Staff
Snack Supply Pro Staff

He works for free! Who's the B now?
ScaupHunter
hunter

Re: To white

Postby cartervj » Fri Apr 18, 2014 9:40 am

dudejcb wrote:Yurn idiot.

BTW" it should be "Too White" and "You're and idiot.

Feel free to ban me. DHC kinda sucks these days. :grooving:

did you listen to the video or read the link?

X showed who was the bigot, the guy saying the university needed to be NOT as white in the future

A school-wide questionnaire at Western Washington University (WWU) asked the community “How do we make sure that in future years ‘we are not as white as we are today?’”

The question, released through the communications and marketing department's daily newsletterWestern Today, comes on the heels of admonishments given in multiple convocation addresses by WWU President Bruce Shepard for the university’s “failure” to be less white.

“Every year, from this stage and at this time, you have heard me say that, if in decades ahead, we are as white as we are today, we will have failed as university,” Shepard said in the 2012 speech.

And in a recent blog post on WWU’s website, Shepard echoes these sentiments, saying those who do not agree “have not thought through the implications of what is ahead for us or, more perniciously, assume we can continue unchanged.”

“In the decades ahead, should we be as white as we are today, we will be relentlessly driven toward mediocrity; or, become a sad shadow of our current self,” he wrote.

The six question survey, inspired by Shepard, is meant to combat a recent decline in Washington high school graduation numbers, the pool from which the university draws 90 percent of its students.

The university has already replaced standard performance reviews with sensitivity training and hosts workshops to better serve undocumented students. WWU also provides literature on how to better “recruit and retain faculty and staff of color.”
“Nothing makes me more certain of the victory of our ideas than our success in the universities” – Adolf H, 1930
cartervj
hunter

Postby dudejcb » Fri Apr 18, 2014 6:16 pm

On the X wrote:May I ask why you're a liberal? ...
Two things: 1)Jesus; 2) I'm a natural optimist.

I'm not religious. I was pretty involved in church stuff when I was young, but the hypocrisy exhibited by most who presented themselves as church leaders on Sunday and then were A-holes all week turned me off.

I'm far from perfect. In fact, that word should not be used in connection with me in any way because I've done many things I'm ashamed of. But I try to be more tolerant, understanding, and forgiving as a way of living my life every day...but I stumble a lot and have to remind myself all the time.

BTW: most of my friends are pretty conservative. We don't go very far into our political discussions because they are my friends, they're entitled to their opinions, and they know where I stand. Instead we talk about how we caught that last fish (was it on the fall, jigging, or just leaving the lure still for a moment or three), or, are the decoys not set right for the wind, does the blind need sprucing up, is this the wrong day to call very much, or, at least we won't have to clean very many. There's always a silver lining.

Plan for the worst. Hope for the best. Make the best of whatever comes.
dudejcb
hunter

Postby go get the bird » Fri Apr 18, 2014 6:57 pm

dudejcb wrote:

I'm not religious. I was pretty involved in church stuff when I was young, but the hypocrisy exhibited by most who presented themselves as church leaders on Sunday and then were A-holes all week turned me off.

I'm far from perfect. In fact, that word should not be used in connection with me in any way because I've done many things I'm ashamed of. But I try to be more tolerant, understanding, and forgiving as a way of living my life every day...but I stumble a lot and have to remind myself all the time.

BTW: most of my friends are pretty conservative. We don't go very far into our political discussions because they are my friends, they're entitled to their opinions, and they know where I stand. Instead we talk about how we caught that last fish (was it on the fall, jigging, or just leaving the lure still for a moment or three), or, are the decoys not set right for the wind, does the blind need sprucing up, is this the wrong day to call very much, or, at least we won't have to clean very many. There's always a silver lining.

Here us one thing that I don't understand, and I'm asking with the sincerest attitude.

Why do liberals, typically, preach that everyone is entitled to the same things, like the right to be different because diversity is good, and then turn a corner and completely and vehemently reject anyone who decides to be different from them?

I am surrounded by the most conservative of all conservatives, and I can mildly attribute my beliefs to my surroundings, but I'm not obtuse enough to not see the hypocrisy of the Democratic Party.
MackieKnife wrote:The moral of the story is...I'm retarded.
go get the bird
hunter

Postby nitram » Fri Apr 18, 2014 7:25 pm

Jingoistic

Well played Jim :hi:
Pain or damage don't end the world. Or despair or f-ing beatings. The world ends when you're dead. Until then, you got more punishment in store. Stand it like a man... and give some back.- Al Swearengen
nitram
hunter

Postby On the X » Fri Apr 18, 2014 8:27 pm

dudejcb wrote:

The brief history lesson on the life of dudejcb was intriguing but the question remained un-answered.

The brief history lesson on the life of dudejcb was intriguing to say the least, but my question went un-answered.
On the X
hunter

Postby beretta24 » Fri Apr 18, 2014 9:00 pm

On the X wrote:
dudejcb wrote:

The brief history lesson on the life of dudejcb was intriguing but the question remained un-answered.

The brief history lesson on the life of dudejcb was intriguing to say the least, but my question went un-answered.

He answered, just not how you wanted him too. Look again.

I could, however, claim the same two things as reasons why I tend to be more conservative, albeit with a different background/justification.
beretta24
State Moderator

Postby On the X » Fri Apr 18, 2014 9:34 pm

I know he answered Beretta, I was just having fun, and I see his and your correlation to both 1 and 2. As far as 1, I believe he sees Jesus as a caring, forgiving, love for all men, Savior. I see him as the same but include Jesus as a condemner of sin, which the liberal agenda tends to accept much of. No.2, being an optimist is fine and dandy but you can't let optimism distract from reality.
On the X
hunter

Postby ohioboy » Fri Apr 18, 2014 11:27 pm

On the X wrote:I know he answered Beretta, I was just having fun, and I see his and your correlation to both 1 and 2. As far as 1, I believe he sees Jesus as a caring, forgiving, love for all men, Savior. I see him as the same but include Jesus as a condemner of sin, which the liberal agenda tends to accept much of. No.2, being an optimist is fine and dandy but you can't let optimism distract from reality.

jesus?
ohioboy
hunter

Postby SpinnerMan » Sat Apr 19, 2014 7:54 am

dudejcb wrote:
ScaupHunter wrote:Not sure why he is an idiot for posting what someone said. Particularly when it has a racist slant. Not saying the content or comment were racist without better information. It just sounds like it.

Apparently you two don't recognize that diversity is an advantage and that as a country we have not achieved equality for all.

What if judging people by the content of their character and not the color of their skin does not lead to your definition of equality? Do you then reject that dream as the ideal and we must judge people by their skin color?

Will the NBA ever look like the exact cross section of America? No, probably not. So what. Do under represented groups need special government regulation to reduce this statistical difference?

Would anyone say that the NBA lacks diversity because there are statistically under represented groups? Of course not. There may not be a lot of Hispanics or Native Americans in the NBA, but there is still plenty of diversity and they all have the opportunity if they choose to pursue that path and can demonstrate the ability to do so.

The modern liberal arrogance is that they want to impose their view of what people should pursue and have a religious belief that there is no variation in desire and ability among their binning of people which is based primarily on superficial characteristics which is not surprising based on the superficial views on most things.

While I do believe there are a lot of problems with education, just like if you believed there were problems with the NBA, you don't make life better for the vast majority of people by the NBA changing the rules of how they select players, you do it by ensuring better education and training starting at the bottom when the children are young so that by the time they are adults, and those accepted into college are adults, they will be more successful if they are judged by their abilities and not their skin color and is that not the dream we should all aspire to? Is that not what MLK was saying? Was MLK not right?

That is why I am largely a classical liberal and that is why I reject most of modern liberalism. If the individual is free and the classical liberal focuses on securing the freedom of the individual, we have to accept the results of that freedom. There will never be equality of outcome of there is individual freedom. There will always be heterogeneity in society if there is freedom. Classic liberals accept this as a fact of life. The neofascists wish to control this via the central government in complete rejection of classical liberalism.
A politician thinks of the next election; a statesman of the next generation. A politician looks for the success of his party; a statesman for that of the country. The statesman wished to steer, while the politician was satisfied to drift.
SpinnerMan
hunter

Postby Glimmerjim » Sat Apr 19, 2014 9:31 am

beretta24 wrote:Don't get too excited GJ. I just want a few of you goofballs to stick around so I have someone to throw rocks at. :hi:

I've seen you're ERA, beretta.....I ain't scairt! :lol3:
Glimmerjim
hunter

Postby dudejcb » Sat Apr 19, 2014 7:03 pm

go get the bird wrote:Why do liberals, typically, preach that everyone is entitled to the same things, like the right to be different because diversity is good, and then turn a corner and completely and vehemently reject anyone who decides to be different from them?

I am surrounded by the most conservative of all conservatives, and I can mildly attribute my beliefs to my surroundings, but I'm not obtuse enough to not see the hypocrisy of the Democratic Party.

Hmmm. Not sure who is preaching, but I guess you're thinking of me. Not sure I know how to answer this, but here's an attempt.

I don't think everyone is entitled to the have the same things. Rather, I think we're all entitled to fairness and an equal shot. Whether they can attain it is up to the individual. Life is not fair, but we can try. Then it's up to the individual to do good work and be ready when good luck (opportunities) arise.

When it comes to blacks, we have a poor track record in this country. I don't know when the scales will be balanced so we can just forget about all that, nor do I know when the Germans will not be responsible for the holocaust. (BTW: Switching gears a bit ... I don't hold the German people totally responsible for WW2 as much of it was set up by their harsh treatment with the Treaty of Versailles, which made it easy for Hitler's group of thugs to sell themselves early on.)
dudejcb
hunter

Postby go get the bird » Sat Apr 19, 2014 8:05 pm

dudejcb wrote:
go get the bird wrote:Why do liberals, typically, preach that everyone is entitled to the same things, like the right to be different because diversity is good, and then turn a corner and completely and vehemently reject anyone who decides to be different from them?

Hmmm. Not sure who is preaching, but I guess you're thinking of me. Not sure I know how to answer this, but here's an attempt.

I don't think everyone is entitled to the have the same things. Rather, I think we're all entitled to fairness and an equal shot. Whether they can attain it is up to the individual. Life is not fair, but we can try. Then it's up to the individual to do good work and be ready when good luck (opportunities) arise.

When it comes to blacks, we have a poor track record in this country. I don't know when the scales will be balanced so we can just forget about all that, nor do I know when the Germans will not be responsible for the holocaust. (BTW: Switching gears a bit ... I don't hold the German people totally responsible for WW2 as much of it was set up by their harsh treatment with the Treaty of Versailles, which made it easy for Hitler's group of thugs to sell themselves early on.)

I wasn't singling you out, I'm speaking in generalities.

So spinning your off of your statement, explain to me how, you believe, that the playing field isn't level. Aside from money/income, what do you believe to be the most uneven area of the playing field.
MackieKnife wrote:The moral of the story is...I'm retarded.
go get the bird
hunter

Postby Indaswamp » Sat Apr 19, 2014 10:38 pm

dudejcb wrote:Scaup,

Diversity is about more than skin color. Diversity of opinion, background and experience are important as well. Your writing about this makes me wonder where you received whatever diversity training you may have had. Were the members of your military unit all white?

Are you for religious diversity as well? Have you seen what happens in countries where >20% of the population is of the Islamic faith? Do you want that here?
The Cajun 7 Course Meal; 1 lb. of boudin and a six pack of Abita beer.

Save the Marsh, Eat a Nutria!

Indaswamp
Forum Moderator

Postby Glimmerjim » Sat Apr 19, 2014 10:43 pm

nitram wrote:Jingoistic

Well played Jim :hi:

it was the word of the day in my remedial reading class, nitram. I get extra points for using it in conversation. :thumbsup: At first I was going to use it to refer to people that act like my old mutt terrier, JIngo, but my tutor made me look it up! :beer:
Glimmerjim
hunter

Postby SpinnerMan » Sun Apr 20, 2014 6:39 am

dudejcb wrote:I don't think everyone is entitled to the have the same things. Rather, I think we're all entitled to fairness and an equal shot. Whether they can attain it is up to the individual. Life is not fair, but we can try. Then it's up to the individual to do good work and be ready when good luck (opportunities) arise.

"I know black contractors who have gone out of business because their black workers were not prompt or had negative attitudes. I know black workers who take pride about going to work any hour they feel like it, taking the day off when they feel like it. . . . Many leaders who are black and many white liberals will object to my discussing these things in public. But the decadence in the black community . . . is already in the headlines; the only question is what we should do about it" Jesse Jackson in 1976.

Are you sure that black individuals do not have an equal shot? There is strong anecdotal evidence that individual by individual, there is nothing that black individuals cannot achieve if they put their mind to it. Liberals will never open their mind to the possibility that racism and bigotry are secondary to the success of black individuals. I know when the scales will be balanced in the mind of pandering black politicians - NEVER. To succeed would make them unnecessary. It is why politicians never solve a problem and why modern liberals that love big government never believe a problem is ever solved sufficiently to descope and defund that part of the central government - well except for the one thing that will never be solved which is why we need a military that everyone fears.

We all know education, a solid K-12 education, for all kids is how you change the community and not giving a small fraction a spot they did not earn and taking it from the person he did. That is how you create racial animosity and not improve society. Taking from one and giving to another is a zero sum game initially and down hill from there. The one who did not earn it, does not value it and it tells others that you do not have to work harder to earn more. The one who it was taken from resents the one who has what was rightly his. A wise man said "life is not fair, but we can try." And try we must to not use practices that are unfair to one person in the name of making it fair for another.

http://online.wsj.com/news/articles/SB10001424052702304441304579481593325577488
But Mr. Woodson saves his most passionate disdain for those on the black left who all but abandon the black poor except to exploit them. "Around 70 cents of every dollar designated to relieve poverty goes not to poor people but to people who serve the poor—social workers, counselors, et cetera," he says. "We've created a poverty industry, turned poor people into a commodity. And the race hustlers play a bait-and-switch game where they use the conditions of low-income blacks to justify remedies"—such as racial education preferences—"that only help middle-income blacks."

Mr. Woodson broke with the traditional civil-rights movement in the 1970s over forced busing. In the Supreme Court's 1954 Brown decision, Chief Justice Earl Warren suggested that all-black classrooms were inherently inferior, and liberals convinced themselves that ending legal segregation wasn't enough. "The left assumes that if you're not for forced integration, then you support segregation, but that's a false dichotomy," Mr. Woodson says. "I believe we should have fought for desegregation, but forced integration is a separate issue, especially in education."

A majority of black parents always opposed this social engineering and said they wanted better neighborhood schools, "but the civil-rights leadership pushed busing for the poor. Of course, none of their kids were on the bus," says Mr. Woodson. To this day, the left's obsession with the racial composition of a school trumps its concern with whether kids are learning.

While nobody disputes that diversity has value in any intellectual setting, it is such a distant second that it is laughable to focus on it under the situation that existed then and now, unless you believe black communities are inherently inferior and must be eliminated and the black people can only prosper if they are spread throughout the white community.

A recent study from UCLA's Civil Rights Project criticized charter schools for being too racially segregated. Never mind that many of these charters outperform the surrounding neighborhood schools and that excellent all-black schools have long existed and predate Brown. Liberals remain convinced that black children must sit next to white children in order to learn. The Obama Justice Department currently is trying to shut down a Louisiana voucher program for low-income families on the grounds that it may upset the racial balance of public schools in the state.

Why do liberals attack charter schools? Clearly, the political agenda and using tax dollars to fund union teachers trumps educating the children, even black children who suffer the most on average because of poor K-12 education. Who on the left does the current system not work? It worked for Obama. It works for Jackson and Sharpton. It works for Democrats. They have a lock. Why would they want to change that? It would be a huge risk for them if black people got a rock solid K-12 education in a low crime environment.

What would they need the party of the poor for if they become prosperous?

Of course, Democrat politicians are all saints and not humans that clearly see where their bread is buttered. No matter how many get arrested for corruption, there is no corruption in the Democrat party. Democrat politicians are the path to prosperity, just look at what they have done where they have absolute control, especially in black communities.
A politician thinks of the next election; a statesman of the next generation. A politician looks for the success of his party; a statesman for that of the country. The statesman wished to steer, while the politician was satisfied to drift.
SpinnerMan
hunter

Postby dudejcb » Sun Apr 20, 2014 9:31 am

go get the bird wrote:I wasn't singling you out, I'm speaking in generalities.

So spinning your off of your statement, explain to me how, you believe, that the playing field isn't level. Aside from money/income, what do you believe to be the most uneven area of the playing field.

I'm not a scholar in this arena, but as one of my earlier statements alluded, for whatever reasons I don't think many minorities have enjoyed the same early education and atmosphere that's conducive to putting them on a equal footing later on. It's not necessarily our fault, and their parents are accountable for much if not all of that. Nonetheless, that's the way things are and have been for a very long time. Many schools in the south are more segregated now than they were a generation ago.

BTW: this is not to imply I think anyone is due a free ride, and those who abuse the system and do not contribute are trash IMO, whether black, white, Hispanic, whatever. Also, here in Idaho I see a lot of young white Mormons who are welfare mothers or aspire to be. High school girls who cannot wait to get pregnant (they're taught that's their role in life ... to have babies) knowing full well they'll be taken care of by the State and the Church.
dudejcb
hunter

Postby dudejcb » Sun Apr 20, 2014 9:32 am

Indaswamp wrote:
dudejcb wrote:Scaup,

Diversity is about more than skin color. Diversity of opinion, background and experience are important as well. Your writing about this makes me wonder where you received whatever diversity training you may have had. Were the members of your military unit all white?

Are you for religious diversity as well? Have you seen what happens in countries where >20% of the population is of the Islamic faith? Do you want that here?
Not really. I am very skeptical of religions in general. Here in the US I am especially skeptical of Mormons and bible thumpers.
dudejcb
hunter

Postby dudejcb » Sun Apr 20, 2014 9:40 am

SpinnerMan wrote:... Why do liberals attack charter schools? ...
First, let me say that I am amazed at how you consistently are able to dig up and present a lot of information for whatever point you're trying to drive home. Wish I was better at that. That said, I don't have the time (or desire) to read, cogitate, and refute all that you put out there.

The reason I am skeptical of charter schools is that don;t play on a level field, yet pretend that they do. Their students (parents) take advantage of all the programs and activities ordinary public schools provide and pay for (sports, etc.) and focus their funds/efforts strictly on their charter. So they're not shouldering the full cost of providing an educational experience, yet when they tout their accomplishments they conveniently forget to mention it. They're disingenuous.
dudejcb
hunter

Postby Nabs » Sun Apr 20, 2014 10:22 am

As a husband of a charter school teacher, I see how my wifes charter school works. First; they are a public school, meaning there is no tuition for students to attend. Second; they are not unionized, which allows them to hire a teacher based on their potential and release them (read fire) based on their performance. They are also able to raise funds (and do) through various charity events to provide technology, close to a 1 to 1 ratio of IPad/MacBook per student.

If anyone can explain why a charter school that meets or exceeds the state and local test scores should not receive the same reimbursement per student that a normal public school receives I would be happy to entertain it.
Nabs
hunter

PreviousNext

Return to Controversial Issues Forum