The "New" SATs (Summed Up In One Cartoon)

A forum not related to waterfowl for discussing the more controversial and hot topic issues in our world from immigration, politics, the war, etc..

Moderators: Smackaduck, MM

The "New" SATs (Summed Up In One Cartoon)

Postby Indaswamp » Sun Apr 20, 2014 9:52 pm

The Cajun 7 Course Meal; 1 lb. of boudin and a six pack of Abita beer.

Save the Marsh, Eat a Nutria!

Indaswamp
Forum Moderator

Re: The "New" SATs (Summed Up In One Cartoon)

Postby ScaupHunter » Mon Apr 21, 2014 8:38 am

:lol3: :lol3: :lol3: :lol3: :lol3: :lol3:

Very relevant question in today's economy.
Bella's
Decoy Setting Pro Staff
Boat Operator Pro Staff
Duck Shooting Pro Staff
Warm Towel Pro Staff
Snack Supply Pro Staff

He works for free! Who's the B now?
ScaupHunter
hunter

Postby Rat Creek » Mon Apr 21, 2014 9:39 am

So true.

53% of students graduating from college have no jobs. By far, the highest on record.

Compared to BO (Before Obama), there are twice as many college graduates working for minimum wage, though most seem to think Obama is still the One. :bow: :bow: :bow:

The prospects for young adults has never been worse since The Great Depression. :mad:

I know of many recent graduates who are working for free (in an unpaid internship) or for far less than minimum wage as they are paid a very low stipend ($1200 per month) in an internship and then are working 60-70 hours per week in hopes of landing a real job. That is a :censored: economy.

But Moochelle is still living large and Obama knows Beyonce, so it's all good. :bow:
Rat Creek
Rat Creek
hunter

Postby Slack Tide » Thu Apr 24, 2014 11:42 am

There is a part of this issue that is not discussed often....

There are WAY too many "institutions" out there that we call "college" that are willing to accept kids with lousy grades to take their money and give them a diploma...now YOU call them "graduates" and they go into your statistic of people who "graduated" and couldn't get a job....
So here you have a lousy student, good kid or not, who got into Joe Blow College, who pays for and completes their program......and now they are in your demographic of "graduates who couldn't get a job"....they never should have been there at all....I have a lot of successful friends, you too, who are swinging a hammer, boat mechanics, bar owners, landscapers etc who are doing great and not part of your stat because they knew themselves, skipped college and got to work...
"I've been left for dead before but I'll still fight on, don't wait up, leave the light on, I'll be home soon"
Chris Smither
Slack Tide
hunter

Postby Rat Creek » Thu Apr 24, 2014 2:36 pm

I agree Slack Tide. And it will only get worse. The current administration has an obsession with College and Career ready, but when I attend these meetings, no one is talking about careers. it is 100% focused on sending kids to college.

A number of states are paying for all kids to take the ACT test which has one purpose, to gain entrance to college.

Education is one of the great liberators, but it is not just college. Show me a professionally trained plumber, IT technician or beautician, an I will show you an self sufficient and successful American. :hammer:
Rat Creek
Rat Creek
hunter

Postby go get the bird » Thu Apr 24, 2014 2:50 pm

If we were all surgeons, trash would pile up.
MackieKnife wrote:The moral of the story is...I'm retarded.
go get the bird
hunter

Postby MinnesotaDan » Thu Apr 24, 2014 2:53 pm

I shoulda went to a trade school... And I mean that.
Nobody cares about your season totals.
MinnesotaDan
hunter

Postby Indaswamp » Thu Apr 24, 2014 2:54 pm

The paradigm of college is changing with the advent of online learning. There is a move afoot to accredit the student and not the institutions, when that happens, there will no longer be an incentive to attend most universities and a large number of them will simply fold and close down.
The Cajun 7 Course Meal; 1 lb. of boudin and a six pack of Abita beer.

Save the Marsh, Eat a Nutria!

Indaswamp
Forum Moderator

Postby Slack Tide » Thu Apr 24, 2014 3:54 pm

Rat Creek wrote:I agree Slack Tide. And it will only get worse. The current administration has an obsession with College and Career ready, but when I attend these meetings, no one is talking about careers. it is 100% focused on sending kids to college.

A number of states are paying for all kids to take the ACT test which has one purpose, to gain entrance to college.

Education is one of the great liberators, but it is not just college. Show me a professionally trained plumber, IT technician or beautician, an I will show you an self sufficient and successful American. :hammer:

Wouldn't your opinion change if they simply changed that to College OR Career ready? I would.....
100% on the vocations......
"I've been left for dead before but I'll still fight on, don't wait up, leave the light on, I'll be home soon"
Chris Smither
Slack Tide
hunter

Postby Slack Tide » Thu Apr 24, 2014 3:54 pm

go get the bird wrote:If we were all surgeons, trash would pile up.

People forget that...... :thumbsup:
Chris Smither
Slack Tide
hunter

Postby Slack Tide » Fri Apr 25, 2014 5:42 am

Indaswamp wrote:The paradigm of college is changing with the advent of online learning. There is a move afoot to accredit the student and not the institutions, when that happens, there will no longer be an incentive to attend most universities and a large number of them will simply fold and close down.

The academics is only part of the "Education" you get when you go away to college. It's like ordering in dinner vs. going out to eat. There is more to it than just simply getting fed. I agree that some of the wayyyyyyyy smaller, second rate schools will fizzle, but no web site is going to take down Notre Dame, Gorgetown etc
Chris Smither
Slack Tide
hunter

Return to Controversial Issues Forum