The Taboo Cause of Income Inequality

A forum not related to waterfowl for discussing the more controversial and hot topic issues in our world from immigration, politics, the war, etc..

Moderators: Smackaduck, MM

The Taboo Cause of Income Inequality

Postby SpinnerMan » Mon Apr 21, 2014 12:30 pm

http://online.wsj.com/news/articles/SB10001424052702303603904579493612156024266

Suppose a scientific conference on cancer prevention never addressed smoking, on the grounds that in a free society you can't change private behavior, and anyway, maybe the statistical relationships between smoking and cancer are really caused by some other third variable. Wouldn't some suspect that the scientists who raised these claims were driven by something—ideology, tobacco money—other than science?

Yet in the current discussions about increased inequality, few researchers, fewer reporters, and no one in the executive branch of government directly addresses what seems to be the strongest statistical correlate of inequality in the United States: the rise of single-parent families during the past half century.

What would you expect when comparing a family headed by two adults versus a family headed by one adult?

Sacrifices must be made and a big part of that is income. Whether a single father of single mother, there are far less opportunities that exist. How many single parents move back to live near their parents in order to get help? How many single parents must forgo overtime and not just the income that comes with it, but the future promotions that go to those that work longer hours? How many single parents must choose security over opportunity since they don't have the financial backup of another adult? It's such a huge and obvious factor, but it is taboo.

More than 20% of children in single-parent families live in poverty long-term, compared with 2% of those raised in two-parent families, according to education-policy analyst Mitch Pearlstein's 2011 book "From Family Collapse to America's Decline."

Earlier this year, a team of researchers led by Harvard economist Raj Chetty reported that communities with a high percentage of single-parent families are less likely to experience upward mobility.

A 2006 article in the journal Demography by Penn State sociologist Molly Martin estimates that 41% of the economic inequality created between 1976-2000 was the result of changed family structure.

Is the shrinking middle class the result of the growth of single-parent families?

In 1960, more than 76% of African-Americans and nearly 97% of whites were born to married couples. Today the percentage is 30% for blacks and 70% for whites.
Sure looks like a big factor.

It's not the only cause, but it is clearly a big cause of the financial suffering of many children.

And it extends beyond just financial issues.

In an essay for the Institute for Family Studies last December, called "Even for Rich Kids, Marriage Matters," University of Virginia sociologist W. Bradford Wilcox reported that children in high-income households who experienced family breakups don't fare as well emotionally, psychologically, educationally or, in the end, economically as their two-parent-family peers.

Abuse, behavioral problems and psychological issues of all kinds, such as developmental behavior problems or concentration issues, are less common for children of married couples than for cohabiting or single parents, according to a 2003 Centers for Disease Control study of children's health. The causal pathways are about as clear as those from smoking to cancer.
A politician thinks of the next election; a statesman of the next generation. A politician looks for the success of his party; a statesman for that of the country. The statesman wished to steer, while the politician was satisfied to drift.
SpinnerMan
hunter

Re: The Taboo Cause of Income Inequality

Postby ScaupHunter » Mon Apr 21, 2014 12:59 pm

Let's not even get into subcultures and how they work to keep their own down while other subcultures work to build their own up. That would set a few folks here frothing at the mouth.
Bella's
Decoy Setting Pro Staff
Boat Operator Pro Staff
Duck Shooting Pro Staff
Warm Towel Pro Staff
Snack Supply Pro Staff

He works for free! Who's the B now?
ScaupHunter
hunter

Postby beretta24 » Mon Apr 21, 2014 2:46 pm

And what is the root cause of more single parent households?
beretta24
State Moderator

Postby ScaupHunter » Mon Apr 21, 2014 2:52 pm

Straight answer. Loss of religion as a core value, followed promptly by loss of morals, family values, and then toss in welfare and the ever present to push to increase it so deadbeats are being treated fairly.
Bella's
Decoy Setting Pro Staff
Boat Operator Pro Staff
Duck Shooting Pro Staff
Warm Towel Pro Staff
Snack Supply Pro Staff

ScaupHunter
hunter

Postby beretta24 » Mon Apr 21, 2014 2:58 pm

But what caused that? I have my theory.
beretta24
State Moderator

Postby SpinnerMan » Mon Apr 21, 2014 3:13 pm

beretta24 wrote:And what is the root cause of more single parent households?

Many different things.

I think the biggest is that we have become a self-centered society. How many people put the well-being of the children before themselves any more? How many are willing to make true sacrifices for their children?

Children are not the centralized focus of the lives of the parents.

And do you think that mindset changes one little bit after the child takes its first breath? :no:

Why should anyone be "punished" just because they made the mistake of having a baby?

However, that was not my point. My point being that if we believe income inequality is such a major problem, then basic science tells us we must understand all the contributing factors and their relative importance. That doesn't mean we have to try and change them or even should have the power to do so, but simply have the knowledge. Knowledge is power if you want to understand a problem. Knowledge is the enemy of the individuals that seek power by deception.
A politician thinks of the next election; a statesman of the next generation. A politician looks for the success of his party; a statesman for that of the country. The statesman wished to steer, while the politician was satisfied to drift.
SpinnerMan
hunter

Postby beretta24 » Mon Apr 21, 2014 3:15 pm

I think the root of the issue is cheap credit and the corresponding lack of hardship for multiple generations.

Who needs family, church, etc when money is so relatively easy to come by, whether you work for it or not.
beretta24
State Moderator

Postby dudejcb » Mon Apr 21, 2014 8:10 pm

ScaupHunter wrote:Straight answer. Loss of religion as a core value, followed promptly by loss of morals, family values, and then toss in welfare and the ever present to push to increase it so deadbeats are being treated fairly.

Maybe, but I think it's a loss of personal responsibility, with or without religion.

I already posted about Mormon welfare mothers and high school mother wanna be's. I won't say it's rampant at our local high school, but there are a lot of them.
What's so funny 'bout peace love and understanding?
dudejcb
hunter

Postby SpinnerMan » Tue Apr 22, 2014 8:51 am

dudejcb wrote:
ScaupHunter wrote:Straight answer. Loss of religion as a core value, followed promptly by loss of morals, family values, and then toss in welfare and the ever present to push to increase it so deadbeats are being treated fairly.

Maybe, but I think it's a loss of personal responsibility, with or without religion.

I already posted about Mormon welfare mothers and high school mother wanna be's. I won't say it's rampant at our local high school, but there are a lot of them.

How does the federal government address this part of the cause of income inequality if their goal is to reduce it?

Obama is big on the problems, but has he ever discussed this major contributing factor? Why? Is he ignorant or disingenuous?

BTW, if there was no income inequality, there would be no driving force to do anything but enjoy yourself.

Why do you work hard? Largely the expectation that there will be inequitably income between what you do and what you would have if you did not.

It is the inequality of income that drives the vast majority of people to get up and go to work, go to college, start businesses, and most importantly the end product is serving others in exchange for cash. If there is no income inequality associated with providing goods and services to others, why would anyone ever do anything but serve themselves?

The lack of inequality in income created by means tested welfare is another huge disincentive for people at the bottom to move up the ladder one rung at a time. Each rung requires more effort and more hours, but if you get no benefit until you have climbed rungs for years, few have the endurance and patients to delay gratification that long and simply slump back to the easier rung that has equal income to the many rungs in the foreseeable future. It's only if through "a big break" can they jump enough rungs until their is income inequality that comes from greater effort.
SpinnerMan
hunter

Postby ScaupHunter » Tue Apr 22, 2014 9:57 am

The very nature of being free means no one is truly equal. Those who work hard and dare are either rewarded with wealth or fail and have to start over. Fair? Not in the least. Then again, life is not and never will be fair. The idea that I am equal to a Harvard graduate with a billionaire daddy is laughable. I am going to have to work a lot harder to get funding, put together a plan, and impliment a company than the boy with the silver spoon. Unfair? Nope. It is just reality that I have to work a lot harder to get to the same level.

I don't cry about the reality that none of us are equals in any real way. Everyone has their own issues, challenges, and problems to face. I simply have to work hard and do the best that I can do to move forward with my goals in life. No one owes me anything. I don't expect others to give me a hand or help me succeed in life. That is entirely on me. This long running and seemingly stupid ideal that giving things away makes others lives better is beyond my comprehension. We all know a kid doesn't appreciate things that are given to them like they do something they earned. Despite this common knowledge our society just keeps trying to apply the reverse logic to adults in our society. We are busy creating, fostering, and supporting generations of entitled children instead of teaching these people to be accountable adults.

Paying someone to breathe and be useless is a waste of time, effort, and money.
Bella's
Decoy Setting Pro Staff
Boat Operator Pro Staff
Duck Shooting Pro Staff
Warm Towel Pro Staff
Snack Supply Pro Staff

ScaupHunter
hunter

Postby beretta24 » Tue Apr 22, 2014 10:11 am

dudejcb wrote:

All made possible with more private and government debt.
beretta24
State Moderator

Postby Rat Creek » Wed Apr 23, 2014 5:42 pm

The truth about this must never be spoken of again. :no:

It is no different than being able to predict with great accuracy the educational success of a brand new baby based solely upon the education level of the mother, and thus a great predictor of income inequality. :fingerhead:

In modern America, it is insensitive to point out the obvious. :huh:

And other than full employment for public sector voters...er...I mean workers, it is why the solution is always to throw money at the symptoms while never addressing the cause.

Cue the useful idiot to point out a rare exception to what everyone knows and sees as the truth. :bow:
Rat Creek
Rat Creek
hunter

Postby Indaswamp » Thu Apr 24, 2014 12:07 am

beretta24 wrote:I think the root of the issue is cheap credit and the corresponding lack of hardship for multiple generations.

Who needs family, church, etc when money is so relatively easy to come by, whether you work for it or not.

Bingo. One of the major contributing factors IMO. The number of people that confuse indebtedness with wealth is astonishing to me. It is simply unbelievable how much credit card debt some people have that they will never be able to pay off.
The Cajun 7 Course Meal; 1 lb. of boudin and a six pack of Abita beer.

Save the Marsh, Eat a Nutria!

Indaswamp
Forum Moderator

Postby nitram » Thu Apr 24, 2014 8:09 am

“The American middle class, long the most affluent in the world, has lost that distinction,” declares The New York Times in Tuesday's exposé on “high and rising income inequality” in America. The Times continues, “While the wealthiest Americans are outpacing many of their global peers, a New York Times analysis shows that across the lower- and middle-income tiers, citizens of other advanced countries have received considerably larger raises over the last three decades.”

You get the picture. Essentially, the story is a press release for the perpetual Obama campaign. And if you thought that campaign ended in 2012, think again.

When reading the Times' lament, it's important to remember that Obama has achieved nearly everything he set out to do. He got his massive “stimulus” boondoggle, which effectively raised baseline federal spending by nearly $1 trillion; he got his huge tax hikes on the “rich”; and he rammed through the biggest tax hike of all, ObamaCare. None of those things buoyed the economy or helped the “middle class” – in fact, all three things significantly hurt and penalized the average American. Yet, significantly, there's one word entirely absent in the Times' 1,700-word article: “Obama.”

Instead, the Times focuses blame on things like education – “educational attainment in the United States has risen far more slowly than in much of the industrialized world over the last three decades, making it harder for the American economy to maintain its share of highly skilled, well-paying jobs.” That's certainly not for a lack of spending. The U.S. spends more on education now than ever before, while achievement remains roughly unchanged. Yet the answer from the Left is always the same: Spend even more.

Primarily, however, the Times blames insufficient income redistribution. No kidding – an Obama campaign slogan now counts as news analysis. “[T]he American rich pay lower taxes than the rich in many other places, and the United States does not redistribute as much income to the poor as other countries do. As a result, inequality in disposable income is sharply higher in the United States than elsewhere.” As it stands now, the top 1% of income earners pay nearly 40% of income taxes, while the bottom 50% pay 2% of income taxes. In fact, the top 1% pays more than the bottom 90%. Nearly 50 million Americans are on food stamps, not to mention those on other welfare programs or unemployment benefits. That's a substantial amount of redistribution. But the Times' solution is to be more like Canada and Europe.

Mysteriously absent from the article is any mention of cost of living compared to other nations, or how high a standard of living Americans generally have. The truth is that even the poor in this country have things the rich in years past could only dream of. A little perspective is needed, not just leftist arrested development and the politics of envy.

To sum up, I'll close with this comment from columnist Burt Prelutsky: “A reader of mine we'll call Ray sent me six contradictions that sum up the thinking of Progressives, or at least what passes for thinking in those bizarre quarters. It begins: 'One, America is capitalist and greedy, and yet half the population is subsidized. Two, half the population is subsidized, yet they regard themselves as victims. Three, they think they are victims, yet their representatives run the government. Four, their representatives run the government, yet the poor keep getting poorer. Five, the poor keep getting poorer, yet they have things that people in other countries only dream about. Six, they have things that people in other countries only dream about, yet they want America to be more like those other countries.'”
Pain or damage don't end the world. Or despair or f-ing beatings. The world ends when you're dead. Until then, you got more punishment in store. Stand it like a man... and give some back.- Al Swearengen
nitram
hunter

Postby go get the bird » Thu Apr 24, 2014 8:33 am

Indaswamp wrote:
beretta24 wrote:I think the root of the issue is cheap credit and the corresponding lack of hardship for multiple generations.

Bingo. One of the major contributing factors IMO. The number of people that confuse indebtedness with wealth is astonishing to me. It is simply unbelievable how much credit card debt some people have that they will never be able to pay off.

Ramsey fan? :hammer:
MackieKnife wrote:The moral of the story is...I'm retarded.
go get the bird
hunter

Postby beretta24 » Thu Apr 24, 2014 9:44 am

Indaswamp wrote:

Credit cards for misc wants, home loans they can't afford with any margin, financing multiple vehicle/bikes/boats, financing secondary education with salary expectations that don't support the ability to meet debt obligations, and the list goes on.

If you can't pay cash, or there isn't a likely large ROI (ex. some college majors at some universities) chances are you can't afford it.
beretta24
State Moderator

Postby nitram » Thu Apr 24, 2014 11:27 am

beretta24 wrote:Credit cards for misc wants, home loans they can't afford with any margin, financing multiple vehicle/bikes/boats, financing secondary education with salary expectations that don't support the ability to meet debt obligations, and the list goes on.

If you can't pay cash, or there isn't a likely large ROI (ex. some college majors at some universities) chances are you can't afford it.

While absolutely true, this requires patience and self-discipline. Two very admirable character traits we as a society (in toto) are not only lacking but unwilling to foster.
Pain or damage don't end the world. Or despair or f-ing beatings. The world ends when you're dead. Until then, you got more punishment in store. Stand it like a man... and give some back.- Al Swearengen
nitram
hunter

Postby Rat Creek » Thu Apr 24, 2014 2:21 pm

Indaswamp wrote:The number of people that confuse indebtedness with wealth is astonishing to me.

:hammer: :hammer: :hammer: :hammer: :hammer:

I live in the pauper section of yuppieville and this is sooo true. The number of dual income yuppies with their dual leased BMWs and Range Rovers is astonishing. All in an effort to impress people they do not like or do not know. Leasing because they do not have a down payment nor enough to pay sales tax, but want to look like a celebrity. :rolleyes:

I have a couple close friends who work in real estate, and the number of dual income yuppies who borrow 100% of their qualification, plus a second mortgage (and sometimes borrowed money from parents) in order to keep up with their dual income yuppie friends is crazy. :help:

But it is seductive, especially to the shallow and immature. My kids constantly complained through middle school and high school, that we did not live sufficiently large compared to some of their friends at school. In 2008 and during these Obama years, when some of their friends have lost their homes when one of the dual incomes was lost or reduced, my kids began to understand my miser ways.

My 24 year old son has just come to the realization that not having a $600 per month student loan to payback is a pretty good thing. Guess we didn't need the 65 inch TV and Escalade in the driveway after all. :hi:
Rat Creek
Rat Creek
hunter

Postby Indaswamp » Thu Apr 24, 2014 4:28 pm

go get the bird wrote:
Indaswamp wrote:

Tell me you were kidding... HELL NO I am not a Ramsey fan!

Indaswamp
Forum Moderator

Postby Indaswamp » Thu Apr 24, 2014 4:31 pm

beretta24 wrote:
Indaswamp wrote:

Credit cards for misc wants, home loans they can't afford with any margin, financing multiple vehicle/bikes/boats, financing secondary education with salary expectations that don't support the ability to meet debt obligations, and the list goes on.

Yep. sadly though we live in an "I gotta have it now" society. People make extremely poor financial choices because of ignorance of how money and debt works. Not many big ticket items sold nowadays on a price, they are sold on a payment.
Walk on any car dealership and ask the price of a car and they will start sell you on monthly payments.

Indaswamp
Forum Moderator

Postby go get the bird » Thu Apr 24, 2014 7:27 pm

Indaswamp wrote:
go get the bird wrote:
Indaswamp wrote:

That's funny because you're right on par with what he preaches.
go get the bird
hunter

Postby Indaswamp » Thu Apr 24, 2014 8:25 pm

go get the bird wrote:
Indaswamp wrote:
go get the bird wrote:
Indaswamp wrote:

You have not been reading my posts for very long then....
I think mutual funds are a crock of crap. He Praises them. Guess he likes leading the sheeple to be fleeced.

Indaswamp
Forum Moderator

Postby SpinnerMan » Fri Apr 25, 2014 6:49 am

Rat Creek wrote:I have a couple close friends who work in real estate, and the number of dual income yuppies who borrow 100% of their qualification, plus a second mortgage (and sometimes borrowed money from parents) in order to keep up with their dual income yuppie friends is crazy. :help:

It's not fair. Not every couple with two Harvard law degrees can go to a corrupt power broker to buy a house they cannot afford.

SpinnerMan
hunter

Postby go get the bird » Fri Apr 25, 2014 8:15 am

Indaswamp wrote:
go get the bird wrote:
Indaswamp wrote:
go get the bird wrote:
Indaswamp wrote:

You have not been reading my posts for very long then....
I think mutual funds are a crock of crap. He Praises them. Guess he likes leading the sheeple to be fleeced.

I guess I don't recall ever reading from you much about mutual funds. :no:
go get the bird
hunter

Postby Indaswamp » Fri Apr 25, 2014 2:29 pm

@Spinnerman...

....“We may not know much about “Keynesian economics” (and neither does anyone else: they just plug and pray, literally), but we know one thing: when real disposable personal income drops by 0.2% from a month earlier, and plummets by 2.7% from a year ago, the biggest collapse since the semi-depression in 1974, something is wrong with the US consumer.” And, with central banks’ Zero Interest Rate Policies (ZIRP), those who could actually save earn practically nothing in interest.

http://www.zerohedge.com/news/2014-04-24/guest-post-demography-debt-doom

Indaswamp
Forum Moderator

Next

Return to Controversial Issues Forum