race question

A forum not related to waterfowl for discussing the more controversial and hot topic issues in our world from immigration, politics, the war, etc..

Moderators: Smackaduck, MM

race question

Postby boney fingers » Fri Apr 25, 2014 12:48 pm

Signed my daughter and nephew for hunter safety class today; one of the REQUIRED responses was "what is your race". Can anyone tell me what the color of skin or shape of eyes have to do with hunters safety???
boney fingers
hunter

Re: race question

Postby Andy W » Fri Apr 25, 2014 12:50 pm

Absolutely nothing.
Andy W
hunter

Postby ScaupHunter » Fri Apr 25, 2014 1:17 pm

Should have put down NASCAR.
Bella's
Decoy Setting Pro Staff
Boat Operator Pro Staff
Duck Shooting Pro Staff
Warm Towel Pro Staff
Snack Supply Pro Staff

He works for free! Who's the B now?
ScaupHunter
hunter

Postby nitram » Fri Apr 25, 2014 7:06 pm

ScaupHunter wrote:Should have put down NASCAR.

or the third @ Pimlico
Pain or damage don't end the world. Or despair or f-ing beatings. The world ends when you're dead. Until then, you got more punishment in store. Stand it like a man... and give some back.- Al Swearengen
nitram
hunter

Postby beretta24 » Sat Apr 26, 2014 6:43 am

It's just for the purposes of research. They aren't going to drag you out back and shoot you if don't answer a certain way.

Nearly everyone is data mining now. It's extraordinarily effective in helping make business decisions, and developing statistics to be quoted by politicians. :)
beretta24
State Moderator

Postby 3200 man » Sat Apr 26, 2014 7:10 am

I would like that question to be ,

Native

OR

Brought in by Big Corp. Business investors

Now that would tell us something ? How people will vote or if they vote ?
3200 man
hunter

Postby boney fingers » Sat Apr 26, 2014 7:11 pm

beretta24 wrote:It's just for the purposes of research. They aren't going to drag you out back and shoot you if don't answer a certain way.

Nearly everyone is data mining now. It's extraordinarily effective in helping make business decisions, and developing statistics to be quoted by politicians. :)

It was an online registration; you could not complete it without answering.
boney fingers
hunter

Postby beretta24 » Sun Apr 27, 2014 2:46 am

boney fingers wrote:
beretta24 wrote:It's just for the purposes of research. They aren't going to drag you out back and shoot you if don't answer a certain way.

And?
beretta24
State Moderator

Postby boney fingers » Sun Apr 27, 2014 6:46 pm

beretta24 wrote:
boney fingers wrote:

And?

And the government should not be in the business of collecting personal information whether it be race, religion , sexual preference, or favorite color. Taxes paid by hunters and sportsman fund these programs, was just wondering how it was relevant to safe hunting.
boney fingers
hunter

Postby Glimmerjim » Sun Apr 27, 2014 11:02 pm

boney fingers wrote:
beretta24 wrote:
boney fingers wrote:

And?

And the government should not be in the business of collecting personal information whether it be race, religion , sexual preference, or favorite color. Taxes paid by hunters and sportsman fund these programs, was just wondering how it was relevant to safe hunting.

bf...you don't realize that every purchase you make at a grocery store paid with store loyalty discounts, every book in a library you check out, every purchase you make over the internet, every purchase you make with debit or credit card, every site you visit on your computer.....etc etc is doing the same thing? The whole Fed NSA "travesty" is not much more than individual corporations have been doing for years. Sorry. No conspiracy here.
Glimmerjim
hunter

Postby boney fingers » Mon Apr 28, 2014 5:00 am

Glimmerjim wrote:
boney fingers wrote:
beretta24 wrote:
boney fingers wrote:

And?

bf...you don't realize that every purchase you make at a grocery store paid with store loyalty discounts, every book in a library you check out, every purchase you make over the internet, every purchase you make with debit or credit card, every site you visit on your computer.....etc etc is doing the same thing? The whole Fed NSA "travesty" is not much more than individual corporations have been doing for years. Sorry. No conspiracy here.

Not claiming conspiracy; just saying it isn't the governments place to collect personal info whether it is used for nefarious reasons or not. As someone who owns a vacation rental house, should I be able to ask a potential renters race or sexual preference?
boney fingers
hunter

Postby beretta24 » Mon Apr 28, 2014 6:00 am

boney fingers wrote:
Glimmerjim wrote:
boney fingers wrote:
beretta24 wrote:
boney fingers wrote:

And?

Not claiming conspiracy; just saying it isn't the governments place to collect personal info whether it is used for nefarious reasons or not. As someone who owns a vacation rental house, should I be able to ask a potential renters race or sexual preference?

I believe you can ask whatever you want as long as your decision to rent is not based on their answer. I don't know if you can make them answer though.
beretta24
State Moderator

Postby boney fingers » Mon Apr 28, 2014 6:12 am

beretta24 wrote:
boney fingers wrote:
Glimmerjim wrote:
boney fingers wrote:
beretta24 wrote:
boney fingers wrote:

And?

I believe you can ask whatever you want as long as your decision to rent is not based on their answer. I don't know if you can make them answer though.

I think there is variation among the states and some blanket federal laws. In CA, where Jim is from, I don't believe you can even ask, but I could be wrong.
boney fingers
hunter

Postby MinnesotaDan » Wed Apr 30, 2014 12:27 pm

I had to fill out instructor evaluations today. For one I said I was a black male over 41 years if age. For the other I said I was a female Pacific Islander under the age if 20.

#Badass
Nobody cares about your season totals.
MinnesotaDan
hunter

Postby Rat Creek » Thu May 01, 2014 7:07 am

As glimmerjim stated, the biggest collectors of personal information are retailers where you use a discount, points or credit card that is associated with them. Target has taken this to the ultimate level which is why they were freaking out when they were hacked. It was not credit card numbers, but the ease by which someone can steal a person’s identity with everything they collected.

The issue I have is Big Gov does not give you a choice. It is your choice to go to a retailer and use their card. When Big Gov does it, you have to lie or comply. And just because they claim they want to do research is not sufficient reason to violate your Fourth Amendment.

Unfortunately, Big Gov does not care if you get your hunter safety card or not. You are just one person. So your choices are: give up your Fourth, lie on the application or hunt without a license/hunter safety. Not good choices.
Rat Creek
Rat Creek
hunter

Postby Glimmerjim » Thu May 01, 2014 1:43 pm

boney fingers wrote:
beretta24 wrote:
boney fingers wrote:
Glimmerjim wrote:
boney fingers wrote:
beretta24 wrote:
boney fingers wrote:

And?

I think there is variation among the states and some blanket federal laws. In CA, where Jim is from, I don't believe you can even ask, but I could be wrong.

You're right, boney. I was in the Real Estate business for a while and there are a lot of things you are not suppose to ask, or if questioned, answer. I have had people I am sure were from some regulatory dept. come in, incognito, to the office and start asking about race ratios etc. in certain areas they were thinking of looking for a home in. You had to be quite careful how you answered. I usually simply directed them to the internet if I was uncomfortable with the question. And they would abruptly leave as though their job here was done.
Glimmerjim
hunter

Postby Glimmerjim » Thu May 01, 2014 1:43 pm

MinnesotaDan wrote:I had to fill out instructor evaluations today. For one I said I was a black male over 41 years if age. For the other I said I was a female Pacific Islander under the age if 20.

#Badass

:lol3: :thumbsup:
Glimmerjim
hunter

Postby dudejcb » Thu May 01, 2014 2:21 pm

BF: It could be they're interested if the Hmong are taking hunter safety. Or not. But I do recall a deer hunting altercation a few years back in Wisconsin that left several dead.

More seriously, it might be instructive to know the demographic of new upcoming hunters. Perhaps, with our dwindling numbers, they are interested in targeting outreach efforts more effectively. Just a guess.
What's so funny 'bout peace love and understanding?
dudejcb
hunter

Postby ScaupHunter » Thu May 01, 2014 2:37 pm

Or focusing anti hunting and anti gun education their way.
Bella's
Decoy Setting Pro Staff
Boat Operator Pro Staff
Duck Shooting Pro Staff
Warm Towel Pro Staff
Snack Supply Pro Staff

He works for free! Who's the B now?
ScaupHunter
hunter

Postby Glimmerjim » Thu May 01, 2014 2:41 pm

ScaupHunter wrote:Or focusing anti hunting and anti gun education their way.

Ya know, scaup, I think I've got you down well enough now to respond for you at times! If you ever need a break, or go a vacation or something, let me know and I'll fill in for you. I promise I will represent your positions faithfully, and probably verbatim! :lol3: :beer:
Glimmerjim
hunter

Postby SpinnerMan » Thu May 01, 2014 3:40 pm

We can never have a color blind society if we don't care what color people are :fingerhead:

Wait that doesn't make any sense at all :huh:
A politician thinks of the next election; a statesman of the next generation. A politician looks for the success of his party; a statesman for that of the country. The statesman wished to steer, while the politician was satisfied to drift.
SpinnerMan
hunter

Postby Glimmerjim » Thu May 01, 2014 4:26 pm

SpinnerMan wrote:We can never have a color blind society if we don't care what color people are :fingerhead:

What's the advantage in having a color blind society? It's just a description like tall, red haired, or fat as a freakin' sea walrus.
Now, should it have any effect on the manner in which they are treated? Not really, except possibly in race specific medical conditions and picking teams for basketball! :lol3:
Glimmerjim
hunter

Postby SpinnerMan » Fri May 02, 2014 7:23 pm

Glimmerjim wrote:
SpinnerMan wrote:We can never have a color blind society if we don't care what color people are :fingerhead:

What's the advantage in having a color blind society? It's just a description like tall, red haired, or fat as a freakin' sea walrus.
Now, should it have any effect on the manner in which they are treated? Not really, except possibly in race specific medical conditions and picking teams for basketball! :lol3:

Sports is the most color blind part of America. The teams don't give a rat's ass what color the players are. All black, all white, or some mix who cares if they win? Not the owners, not the players, not the fans. Not the vast majority of the people.

So why don't they ask hair color or height and weight instead of race? Clearly somebody cares what race people are when you are spot on and skin color should be no more important than eye color.
A politician thinks of the next election; a statesman of the next generation. A politician looks for the success of his party; a statesman for that of the country. The statesman wished to steer, while the politician was satisfied to drift.
SpinnerMan
hunter

Postby Glimmerjim » Fri May 02, 2014 9:26 pm

SpinnerMan wrote:
Glimmerjim wrote:

Sports is the most color blind part of America. The teams don't give a rat's ass what color the players are. All black, all white, or some mix who cares if they win? Not the owners, not the players, not the fans. Not the vast majority of the people.

So why don't they ask hair color or height and weight instead of race? Clearly somebody cares what race people are when you are spot on and skin color should be no more important than eye color.

Listen once to a police BOLO of a wanted individual, Spinner. it's hair color AND height AND weight AND race. I agree race SHOULD be no more important than eye color, but let me ask you a question.....Joe Montana....what race was he? What color eyes? DOH!
Glimmerjim
hunter

Postby clampdaddy » Fri May 02, 2014 11:28 pm

Glimmerjim wrote: ......let me ask you a question.....Joe Montana....what race was he? What color eyes? DOH!

Joe Montana is like Hercules. Part human, part immortal.
clampdaddy
hunter

Next

Return to Controversial Issues Forum