Who wrote this

A forum not related to waterfowl for discussing the more controversial and hot topic issues in our world from immigration, politics, the war, etc..

Moderators: Smackaduck, MM

Who wrote this

Postby CJ » Sun Apr 27, 2014 12:09 pm

Do you agree?

[T]here was so much at stake in this election. I'd spent nearly twenty years fighting to level the playing field for the middle class, and I'd seen millions of working families go over the economic cliff -- and it was getting worse. What kind of country would my grandchildren grow up in? What if the conservatives and the big banks and the big-time CEOs got their way, and Washington kept helping the rich and powerful to get richer and more powerful? Could I really stand on the sidelines and stay out of this fight?
May the wind be always at your back
CJ
hunter

Re: Who wrote this

Postby beretta24 » Sun Apr 27, 2014 1:17 pm

The "conservative"is too partisan for me because the issue is driven by both democrats and republicans. The banks don't largely care what party the pres belongs to, they have and will continue to fun both sides as long as the candidate is supportive of the Fed.

By the way, I believe the quote is from Warrens book.
beretta24
State Moderator

Postby SpinnerMan » Mon Apr 28, 2014 8:18 am

CJ wrote:Do you agree?
It's so vague and general with no specifics about the solution, how can you not? It sounds like a typical hack politician quote, but I don't know who said it. It could be well intended, but it's too general to really be meaningful or enlightening.

CJ wrote:I'd spent nearly twenty years fighting to level the playing field for the middle class

There are two ways to level the playing field. The right way and the wrong way.

CJ wrote:What if the conservatives and the big banks and the big-time CEOs got their way, and Washington kept helping the rich and powerful to get richer and more powerful?
The government should not be helping any individual or any business. We must stop doing these things. That is the right way to level the playing field.

Steroids in baseball - do you level the playing field by letting everyone take them or put in effective enforcement so it is so risky that few take the gamble?

The American middle and lower class should not have to compete with cheap foreign labor. Yet who wants to allow the foreign nationals that came to the U.S. illegal to stay driving down income for the poorest Americans and profits up for the business owners that are breaking the law? That's probably the single largest way that government helps the crooked businesses at the expense of hard working Americans. Why do you think the business owners scream so loud and work so hard to keep anyone out of office that would enforce existing laws efficiently?

As the saying goes, the devil is in the details.
A politician thinks of the next election; a statesman of the next generation. A politician looks for the success of his party; a statesman for that of the country. The statesman wished to steer, while the politician was satisfied to drift.
SpinnerMan
hunter

Postby CJ » Mon Apr 28, 2014 2:05 pm

Wow Spinner, took me by surprise, I thought you pro big business and the rich all the way. We all know these big time CEOs are not getting a penny more than they're worth. Please spare me that they are the only person that can do that job, my personal opinion is there are easily 1,000s of others that could do it better. For taxes how about we try a trickle down, get the fat cats and corporations to quit cheating (using loopholes), give a fair portion and pay decent wages. With those for a start we can start paying down the deficit and make a better Country for all. PS I voted for Obama because I believed the change BS he was selling, he lied but I still lean progressive, hoping one day to get a government for all the people.
CJ
hunter

Postby beretta24 » Mon Apr 28, 2014 2:11 pm

CJ wrote:Wow Spinner, took me by surprise, I thought you pro big business and the rich all the way. We all know these big time CEOs are not getting a penny more than they're worth. Please spare me that they are the only person that can do that job, my personal opinion is there are easily 1,000s of others that could do it better. For taxes how about we try a trickle down, get the fat cats and corporations to quit cheating (using loopholes), give a fair portion and pay decent wages. With those for a start we can start paying down the deficit and make a better Country for all. PS I voted for Obama because I believed the change BS he was selling, he lied but I still lean progressive, hoping one day to get a government for all the people.

Did you vote for him in 2012?
beretta24
State Moderator

Postby SpinnerMan » Mon Apr 28, 2014 3:13 pm

CJ wrote:Wow Spinner, took me by surprise, I thought you pro big business and the rich all the way.
I'm pro right and wrong. Do I think Gazprom does it right? :lol3:

Big business loves big government and vice versa. This is why you end up with state run companies or de facto state run companies when government gets too big. It's often not intentional. Massive regulations have a huge economy of scale benefit which forces the small businesses and medium size businesses out of the market which stifles innovation and the big businesses of the future cease to be a possibility and you get a progressively more corrupt system.

CJ wrote:We all know these big time CEOs are not getting a penny more than they're worth.
Just like all employees are worth what they are paid, every athlete is worth his big contract, ever ... Of course people screw up and when there is real competition that has not be squelched by big government, those screw ups are one way you get the next big business to replace the old failed big businesses.

You are kidding yourself if you think NONE of them are worth more than they are paid. The CEOs in most cases are paid a tiny fraction of what the company is worth. How much do you pay for insurance to protect your home? Probably somewhere in the neighborhood of 0.5% or a little less per year.

The Walmart CEO is paid around 0.01% of the value of Walmart. It's trivial. Given how easily a boneheaded decision can wipe out 10%, 20%, 50% or even 100% of the value of a company, it is easy to see how paying someone 0.01% per year of the value of the company can easily make sense.

All he needs to do is increase the value of Walmart by 0.01% more than the next best guy available and all that money he got was a wise investment on the part of the shareholders and that's not accounting for the risk any company is taking when they hire a CEO.

CJ wrote:Please spare me that they are the only person that can do that job, my personal opinion is there are easily 1,000s of others that could do it better.
And there is probably a reason you aren't super rich.

CJ wrote:For taxes how about we try a trickle down, get the fat cats and corporations to quit cheating (using loopholes), give a fair portion and pay decent wages. With those for a start we can start paying down the deficit and make a better Country for all. PS I voted for Obama because I believed the change BS he was selling, he lied but I still lean progressive, hoping one day to get a government for all the people.

Are union teachers that make many times what the prevailing free market wage is getting a fair salary or are they overpaid because of their monopoly power? It's not just crony capitalism that screws the people. Big governement leads to big value in being a big political player. Big business, big unions, big special interests of all kinds get to benefit from their influence on big government.

Loopholes are not cheating. Following the law is NOT cheating. I agree that the only thing the biggest business down to the poorest individual should be able to deduct is legitimate business expenses and they should be able to do it the year they spend it. None of this depreciation BS. If you spend money on a legitimate expense, you deduct it. Anything else, one standard deduction to reduce taxes to the poor and nothing else. One flat rate on all net income above that.

All we have to do to pay down the deficit is cut spending to less than $24,000 per household. Do we really need to spend almost $30,000 for every single household in the country. Seriously, is your family getting anywhere close to $30,000 in benefit? Yet, in one form or another you are paying that bill unless you are too damned poor and you got nothing or you are so rich, you can simply pass it along. The people in the middle pay the bills. Always have and always will. No matter how complicated the schemes get to change that, there will never be a large enough army of bureaucrats to micromanage the planet to do anything but put the burden of government on the vast middle class. Why do you think it shrinks as the government grows?
A politician thinks of the next election; a statesman of the next generation. A politician looks for the success of his party; a statesman for that of the country. The statesman wished to steer, while the politician was satisfied to drift.
SpinnerMan
hunter

Postby CJ » Mon Apr 28, 2014 5:05 pm

beretta24 wrote:
CJ wrote:Wow Spinner, took me by surprise, I thought you pro big business and the rich all the way. We all know these big time CEOs are not getting a penny more than they're worth. Please spare me that they are the only person that can do that job, my personal opinion is there are easily 1,000s of others that could do it better. For taxes how about we try a trickle down, get the fat cats and corporations to quit cheating (using loopholes), give a fair portion and pay decent wages. With those for a start we can start paying down the deficit and make a better Country for all. PS I voted for Obama because I believed the change BS he was selling, he lied but I still lean progressive, hoping one day to get a government for all the people.

Yes I did, not because I think he did a good job, but because the alternative was a worse choice for most of the USA, in my opinion
CJ
hunter

Postby beretta24 » Mon Apr 28, 2014 5:13 pm

CJ wrote:
beretta24 wrote:

Yes I did, not because I think he did a good job, but because the alternative was a worse choice for most of the USA, in my opinion

So a proven liar, thus someone you can't trust, was better than the alternative how? Because he is a liberal liar?
beretta24
State Moderator

Postby CJ » Mon Apr 28, 2014 6:58 pm

beretta24 wrote:
CJ wrote:
beretta24 wrote:

So a proven liar, thus someone you can't trust, was better than the alternative how? Because he is a liberal liar?

Better than the alternative, like GW said, this is my base. Romney & republicans feel it is the rich and powerful we must pander to. Don't look behind the screen, nothing to see there. Spinner, that is ridiculous to say that big business wants big gov. They would rather buy off a couple politicians than many. Who needs clean air, water or someone to help the middle class working Americans
CJ
hunter

Postby boney fingers » Mon Apr 28, 2014 7:43 pm

CJ wrote:Better than the alternative, like GW said, this is my base. Romney & republicans feel it is the rich and powerful we must pander to. Don't look behind the screen, nothing to see there. Spinner, that is ridiculous to say that big business wants big gov. They would rather buy off a couple politicians than many. Who needs clean air, water or someone to help the middle class working Americans

Who benefited most from stimulus, QE, green energy money? If you said big business, go to the front of the class. What is big business's most powerful weapon against competition? If you said regulation , go to the front of the class. Who benefit from Obama care the most? If you said large insurance companies, got to the front of the class. Who benefits most from food stamps? If you said Wal Mart, go to the front of the class. Who stands to make billions of common core? If you said huge computer companies, go to the front of the class. Who benefits when companies are deemed "too big to fail"? If you said the big companies deemed as such, go to the front of the class. Who traded political favor for a job for his wife and discounted real estate? If you said Obama, go to the front of the class. Its so obvious, but yet people continue to be blinded by ideologies.
boney fingers
hunter

Postby SpinnerMan » Tue Apr 29, 2014 8:23 am

CJ wrote:Spinner, that is ridiculous to say that big business wants big gov. They would rather buy off a couple politicians than many.

Exactly.

How many Presidents are there? 1
How many Governors are there? 50
How many Mayors, Council Presidents, or other local government chief executives are there? Image Probably more than 5,000.

So yes, they would rather buy off a few than many to have the same impact :thumbsup:

How many U.S. legislators are there? 535
How many state legislators are there? 7,382 (if my quick look is correct)
How many aldermen, councilers, board memers, or other local legislators are there? Image Probably more than 500,000.

So yes, they would rather buy off a few than many to have the same impact :thumbsup:

Do you understand what the term economy and diseconomy of scale mean? It means that there is an optimum size where a business is most efficient. It is the tradeoff between benefits that come from being larger (economies of scale) and the penalties of becoming larger (diseconomies of scale). For each particular business this varies. If a great amount of local knowledge, personal relationships, etc. is needed to be efficient, the most efficient size will be pretty small and we see that play out by mom and pop businesses and sole proprietorship dominating the market. If large investments, vast distribution networks, etc. increases efficiency, then we see the market dominated by large corporations such as Walmart. Of course, things are not static, technology and innovation are constantly upsetting the apple cart, there are many specialized niches within the larger market, etc. which is why we see what we see play out over time.

Heavily regulated industries have a large economy of scale. How much does it cost to fight in court? How much does it cost to pay a regulator compliance officer? How much does the paperwork, etc. cost to comply with regulations? Much of the cost is essentially constant with the size of the operation, so this gives a large advantage to grow bigger. If regardless of size, you will have a million dollars of compliance costs, a mom and pop operations is not viable while Exxon Mobil or Walmart that cost is essentially zero. Now, let's say regulations are proposed that would take that million dollars and make it 10 million. Will it hurt the biggest companies are the smallest companies? Of course, it will crush many of the smaller companies and make them no longer viable, while Exxon Mobil and Walmart will barely notice and with less competition, they will pass all that extra cost along, plus profit on top. Sustainable businesses ALWAYS pass ALL costs on to the consumer PLUS a profit. In the long-run, that is the only way they are sustainable. Sure temporarily, they don't do it instantly, but over time, efficiency leads them to where the incentives drive them.

Would Exxon Mobil or Walmart say their goal is to drive up regulation costs so they will face less competition or will the do like Brer Rabbit and plead not to be thrown in the regulator Briar Patch? Of course, they are going to use the emotions of those that hate them to get what they want. They don't get to be that big without knowing how to take advantage of the suckers.

Of course, your emotions will not let you see the obvious. Look at all countries with powerful central governments. Are they dominated by large monopolies or quasi-monopolies or a dynamic system?

Of course, a few big companies appeals to the control-freak mentality. Companies coming and going and all the dynamic behavior of a competitive market freaks out the control-freaks. They want the status quo, stability, and a sense of control. This is why they don't want 500,000 local legislators deciding the rules, let alone over 310,000,000 different people making their own decisions, most of which the control-freak finds unsatisfactory and therefore intolerable to their personality. They just cannot tolerate seeing people do stupid $hit, so they have to ban the Big Gulp and control everything down to the tiniest level and they try to do that by creating an army of bureaucrats, which for some reason that baffles me they believe they can control and won't do the same dumb $hit, but harm not just themselves by huge numbers of innocent people in the process.
SpinnerMan
hunter

Postby ScaupHunter » Tue Apr 29, 2014 8:44 am

CJ wrote:
beretta24 wrote:
CJ wrote:
beretta24 wrote:

Better than the alternative, like GW said, this is my base. Romney & republicans feel it is the rich and powerful we must pander to. Don't look behind the screen, nothing to see there. Spinner, that is ridiculous to say that big business wants big gov. They would rather buy off a couple politicians than many. Who needs clean air, water or someone to help the middle class working Americans

Obama is the single biggest pandering fool to the rich this nation has ever seen. You voted for him because you thought the R's would pander to the rich? Seriously? Do you actually give much thought to your voting decisions?
Bella's
Decoy Setting Pro Staff
Boat Operator Pro Staff
Duck Shooting Pro Staff
Warm Towel Pro Staff
Snack Supply Pro Staff

He works for free! Who's the B now?
ScaupHunter
hunter

Postby CJ » Tue Apr 29, 2014 10:49 am

boney fingers wrote:
CJ wrote:Better than the alternative, like GW said, this is my base. Romney & republicans feel it is the rich and powerful we must pander to. Don't look behind the screen, nothing to see there. Spinner, that is ridiculous to say that big business wants big gov. They would rather buy off a couple politicians than many. Who needs clean air, water or someone to help the middle class working Americans

Who benefited most from stimulus, QE, green energy money? If you said big business, go to the front of the class. What is big business's most powerful weapon against competition? If you said regulation , go to the front of the class. Who benefit from Obama care the most? If you said large insurance companies, got to the front of the class. Who benefits most from food stamps? If you said Wal Mart, go to the front of the class. Who stands to make billions of common core? If you said huge computer companies, go to the front of the class. Who benefits when companies are deemed "too big to fail"? If you said the big companies deemed as such, go to the front of the class. Who traded political favor for a job for his wife and discounted real estate? If you said Obama, go to the front of the class. Its so obvious, but yet people continue to be blinded by ideologies.

Green energy got a small portion of the package. The whole idea behind the stimulus was to get the economy going again, add and save jobs. Get people back to work, they'll start spending more which means companies get to busy and have to hire more. I think the stimulus was a good idea it just had a horrible distribution plan and very few set up and ready to go programs and projects.

Don't lecture me, you got something to say speak up, but do it with class. If you can do this take one step forward from the very back of the class.
CJ
hunter

Postby SpinnerMan » Tue Apr 29, 2014 11:21 am

CJ wrote:The whole idea behind the stimulus was to get the economy going again, add and save jobs. Get people back to work, they'll start spending more which means companies get to busy and have to hire more. I think the stimulus was a good idea it just had a horrible distribution plan and very few set up and ready to go programs and projects.
It was a stupid idea.

You cannot take money out of the economy and put it back and expect that there will magically be more.

Where did they get it? The money tree? Nope. Every penny of stimulus spending was taken from somewhere else in the economy which is anti-stimulus. It's a zero sum game to first order. It's fatally flawed. That is why it failed this time and every other time it has been tried.

No matter how much better it makes you feel to "do something" the fact is that sometimes there is nothing you can do but wait and let nature take its course no matter how unsatisfactory that makes you feel.

There are simply very limited things the government can do. If they worked, why would we ever stop doing them? If more spending led to more prosperity, I'd be all on board for spending 2,000% of GDP. It doesn't. Not in good times or bad. We are far beyond optimum, so at the margin more is a little less and less is a little more. Nothing is going to do something dramatic.
SpinnerMan
hunter

Postby clampdaddy » Tue Apr 29, 2014 11:25 am

I always figured that handing large sums of money over to big business is exactly what a "progressive" would rally against. You want to get people to spend more money, how 'bout taking less of it so they have more to spend? The fact is that Obama helped the big business man, didn't help the regular man, and his minions still line up to praise his administrations failed plan. And GW doesn't get a pass either. The auto bailout was his baby and Obama helped raise it to maturity. Rather than hand that money over to the companies (Chrysler is foreign owned so why did they even get anything? Oh yeah, the UAW.), why not give an incentive for people to buy a new vehicle? Cut the tax rates on the middle class and offer handsome rebates on brand new, American made vehicles, so they could them afford to BUY a new vehicle? The common man gets a killer deal on a new truck, with less taxes taken out of his check the payments are much easier to make, his old polluting clunker gets taken off the road, the salesman gets his commission, the loan carrier gets their cut, the trucker makes his check off the transport, the assembly line worker gets his hourly wage to build the new vehicles, the dealership technicians do repairs, etc., etc., etc., and then company gets theirs.........Nah.
clampdaddy
hunter

Postby ScaupHunter » Tue Apr 29, 2014 12:05 pm

CJ wrote:
boney fingers wrote:

Green energy got a small portion of the package. The whole idea behind the stimulus was to get the economy going again, add and save jobs. Get people back to work, they'll start spending more which means companies get to busy and have to hire more. I think the stimulus was a good idea it just had a horrible distribution plan and very few set up and ready to go programs and projects.

Don't lecture me, you got something to say speak up, but do it with class. If you can do this take one step forward from the very back of the class.

Typical liberal response. You were not nice! WAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAH! Lets just ignore the facts and simple logic of the explination since it doesn't fit my ideals and views! :fingerhead: Your in the CI Forum, get tough or get run over. PC BS and foolishness does not play here. When someone is being silly the will get called on it every last time. If you want a bunch of like minded folks to play nicey nice and chat about the theoretical wonders of progressivism and how it will save the world for us all you are in the wrong place.
Last edited by ScaupHunter on Tue Apr 29, 2014 1:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Bella's
Decoy Setting Pro Staff
Boat Operator Pro Staff
Duck Shooting Pro Staff
Warm Towel Pro Staff
Snack Supply Pro Staff

ScaupHunter
hunter

Postby SpinnerMan » Tue Apr 29, 2014 12:48 pm

Where I agree with him earlier is that he's like a hunter on a PETA forum. His views are the minority view here in general so it's easy to get piling on.

Of course, telling someone to be classy is pretty classless in my opinion and not a path to persuasion. Lecture over :grooving:
SpinnerMan
hunter

Postby boney fingers » Tue Apr 29, 2014 12:56 pm

CJ wrote:Don't lecture me, you got something to say speak up, but do it with class. If you can do this take one step forward from the very back of the class.

Thanks for the lecture on lecturing, it gave me a chuckle. It sort of reminds me of people who say "its wrong to judge".
boney fingers
hunter

Postby CJ » Tue Apr 29, 2014 3:19 pm

boney fingers wrote:
CJ wrote:Don't lecture me, you got something to say speak up, but do it with class. If you can do this take one step forward from the very back of the class.

Thanks for the lecture on lecturing, it gave me a chuckle. It sort of reminds me of people who say "its wrong to judge".

G
Boney and Spinner, class might have been a poor choice of words but you get my drift. From now on I will attack you, your wife, children and your church ( yes I am Christian), then we can get into our different beliefs as to how to better the Country for all.
CJ
hunter

Postby ScaupHunter » Tue Apr 29, 2014 4:14 pm

And off we go on another tangent no one here has broached, approached, etc..... :no:

Are you really here looking for a beating or are you here to actually discuss things of import?
Bella's
Decoy Setting Pro Staff
Boat Operator Pro Staff
Duck Shooting Pro Staff
Warm Towel Pro Staff
Snack Supply Pro Staff

ScaupHunter
hunter

Postby SpinnerMan » Tue Apr 29, 2014 4:17 pm

CJ wrote:
boney fingers wrote:

G
Boney and Spinner, class might have been a poor choice of words but you get my drift. From now on I will attack you, your wife, children and your church ( yes I am Christian), then we can get into our different beliefs as to how to better the Country for all.

I don't care what you think of me or my wife. We don't have to agree, if we don't try to force our views on others. What is wrong with live and let live? Why is it not better if I let you live your life as you see fit and I do the same? I believe Prunetucky is in CA. Let CA be CA and let GA be GA and most of the anger and vitriol goes away. Obama as governor of Illinois can put in place Obamacare and all the domestic programs he wants and if they work, great. If they fail, then only IL is screwed and boy are we screwed. If they are a matter of personal preference, then less people are forced to accept something they do not like. Why does it have to be one size fits all? That will never be the best for a country so vast and so diverse. It's a silly notion.

Do everything at the lowest level possible and then you and I can be neighbors and best friends no matter how much we disagree? I'd love to hunt and fish with you, but I'd hate for your views to be imposed on me. I hope you feel the same, except my beliefs are clearly better for the country. :wink: But, I'm willing to let you be free to be wrong.
SpinnerMan
hunter

Postby boney fingers » Tue Apr 29, 2014 7:29 pm

CJ wrote:
boney fingers wrote:

G

Its the internet, I think Ill survive. The funny part is, I didn't even think I said anything to hurt any ones feelings, but I guess that's the internet. Ive been called a retard, stupid, moron, you name it on the CI forum, and that is by the people I generally agree with; put on your big boy pants and pull up a chair.
boney fingers
hunter

Postby ScaupHunter » Wed Apr 30, 2014 9:06 am

Welcome to the party, pull up a chair. Just don't expect to not get backhanded off that chair every now and then.
Last edited by ScaupHunter on Wed Apr 30, 2014 11:43 am, edited 2 times in total.
Bella's
Decoy Setting Pro Staff
Boat Operator Pro Staff
Duck Shooting Pro Staff
Warm Towel Pro Staff
Snack Supply Pro Staff

ScaupHunter
hunter

Postby Glimmerjim » Wed Apr 30, 2014 11:33 am

boney fingers wrote: Ive been called a retard, stupid, moron, you name it on the CI forum, and that is by the people I generally agree with

:lol3: :thumbsup:
Glimmerjim
hunter

Postby dudejcb » Wed Apr 30, 2014 1:03 pm

beretta24 wrote:
CJ wrote:
beretta24 wrote:

It could easily be said and proven the Romney is also a "proven Liar." He "didn't remember" holding a guy down to cut his hair in college?... Come on man. I'm surprised he remembers how to put his pants on every morning.
What's so funny 'bout peace love and understanding?
dudejcb
hunter

Next

Return to Controversial Issues Forum