China to Overtake U.S.

A forum not related to waterfowl for discussing the more controversial and hot topic issues in our world from immigration, politics, the war, etc..

Moderators: Smackaduck, MM

China to Overtake U.S.

Postby nitram » Wed Apr 30, 2014 7:25 pm

“The US is on the brink of losing its status as the world’s largest economy, and is likely to slip behind China this year, sooner than widely anticipated, according to the world’s leading statistical agencies,” reports the Financial Times. “The US has been the global leader since overtaking the UK in 1872. Most economists previously thought China would pull ahead in 2019.” I suppose “most economists” didn’t fully account for the destructive nature of Barack Obama’s economic policies. Obama isn’t solely to blame, though. There are long-time policies in the U.S. that have sent manufacturing jobs to China and have aided in China’s incredible growth over recent decades. The key to keeping the U.S. in first place is to free the market.
Pain or damage don't end the world. Or despair or f-ing beatings. The world ends when you're dead. Until then, you got more punishment in store. Stand it like a man... and give some back.- Al Swearengen
User avatar
nitram
hunter
 
Posts: 540
Joined: Tue Dec 24, 2013 5:54 pm
Location: West OK on the South Canadian Riviera


Re: China to Overtake U.S.

Postby beretta24 » Thu May 01, 2014 7:30 am

The Fed would need to be addressed, or people have to boycott Chinese products, otherwise its a forgone conclusion that has little to do with Obama.
User avatar
beretta24
State Moderator
 
Posts: 5356
Joined: Sun Oct 26, 2008 6:54 pm
Location: MN

Re: China to Overtake U.S.

Postby SpinnerMan » Thu May 01, 2014 8:24 am

With 4.5 times as many people, having the some total economic out put means the country is still piss poor in a major way. The average American is 4.5 times more productive than the average Chinese. This is a silly inevitable milestone.

Did it get here sooner because Obamacare, porkulus, and all the insanely expensive regulations added by the Obama administration? Of course. Obama and the Congressional Democrats have probably shaved at least 2% per year off of the economic growth since he took office in the U.S. Senate 7 years ago which makes our economic output about 15% less per year than it should be at this point. Integrated over those seven years, That's a loss of economic output of around $30,000 for every man, woman, and child living legally and illegally in the U.S. over that time. Have the Democrats made people's lives that much better over that time period? :lol3: :lol3: :lol3:

This is exactly why Democrats best intentions lead to poverty. Economic growth matters dramatically. Democrats always dramatically under value its importance relative to their micromanaging goals. It is the failure of all top down governments because top down governments are inevitably horribly economically inefficient. China grows faster because they have made a small step toward a less top down economy. If they ever move totally away from that, their people will move from being 1/4.5 as prosperous as us to near 1/1 in a half century. However, that would be a great thing. Prosperous people don't risk that to screw with their neighbors military. They are not parasitic and need to expand. They are fat, dumb, and happy. As opposed to hungry, dumb, and pissed off.
A politician thinks of the next election; a statesman of the next generation. A politician looks for the success of his party; a statesman for that of the country. The statesman wished to steer, while the politician was satisfied to drift.
User avatar
SpinnerMan
hunter
 
Posts: 15793
Joined: Mon Dec 12, 2005 11:24 am
Location: Joliet, IL

Re: China to Overtake U.S.

Postby dudejcb » Thu May 01, 2014 8:42 am

No. This has nothing to do with Obama care or the size of our economy. Rather this statistic is about the relative purchasing power of the population. Our economy still dwarfs all others.

This is what happens when there is only quantitative analysis without qualitative ... or any explanation .. and is symptomatic of conservatives' rush to judgement at the slightest hint of an opportunity to bash this administration.
What's so funny 'bout peace love and understanding?
User avatar
dudejcb
hunter
 
Posts: 5242
Joined: Thu Nov 30, 2006 8:29 am
Location: SW Idaho

Re: China to Overtake U.S.

Postby ScaupHunter » Thu May 01, 2014 8:48 am

Liberal Conspiracy Theory 101 by DUDE. :beer:
Bella's
Decoy Setting Pro Staff
Boat Operator Pro Staff
Duck Shooting Pro Staff
Warm Towel Pro Staff
Snack Supply Pro Staff

He works for free! Who's the B now?
User avatar
ScaupHunter
hunter
 
Posts: 6395
Joined: Sat Mar 17, 2012 5:57 am

Re: China to Overtake U.S.

Postby ScaupHunter » Thu May 01, 2014 8:49 am

The real question is why it took so long for a billion people to become a match in income to roughly 1/3 their number.
Bella's
Decoy Setting Pro Staff
Boat Operator Pro Staff
Duck Shooting Pro Staff
Warm Towel Pro Staff
Snack Supply Pro Staff

He works for free! Who's the B now?
User avatar
ScaupHunter
hunter
 
Posts: 6395
Joined: Sat Mar 17, 2012 5:57 am

Re: China to Overtake U.S.

Postby SpinnerMan » Thu May 01, 2014 9:10 am

dudejcb wrote:Our economy still dwarfs all others.

No it does not. The economy of the 310 million Americans is roughly the same size as the economy of the 1,400 million Chinese.

dudejcb wrote:Rather this statistic is about the relative purchasing power of the population.
Isn't purchasing power the right way to measure economic output? :huh: Yes, it is difficult to calculate accurately, so there is a lot of uncertainty but not so much to argue we dwarf them.

http://www.ft.com/cms/s/0/d79ffff8-cfb7-11e3-9b2b-00144feabdc0.html#axzz30TcYHN96
The estimates of the real cost of living, known as purchasing power parity or PPPs, are recognised as the best way to compare the size of economies rather than using volatile exchange rates, which rarely reflect the true cost of goods and services: on this measure the IMF put US GDP in 2012 at $16.2tn, and China’s at $8.2tn.

In 2005, the ICP thought China’s economy was less than half the size of the US, accounting for only 43 per cent of America’s total. Because of the new methodology – and the fact that China’s economy has grown much more quickly – the research placed China’s GDP at 87 per cent of the US in 2011.

Image

dudejcb wrote:and is symptomatic of conservatives' rush to judgement at the slightest hint of an opportunity to bash this administration.

Is this the rush to judgement that your refer to?
SpinnerMan wrote:This is a silly inevitable milestone.

Or did you just do what you claim others do? :yes:
A politician thinks of the next election; a statesman of the next generation. A politician looks for the success of his party; a statesman for that of the country. The statesman wished to steer, while the politician was satisfied to drift.
User avatar
SpinnerMan
hunter
 
Posts: 15793
Joined: Mon Dec 12, 2005 11:24 am
Location: Joliet, IL

Re: China to Overtake U.S.

Postby dudejcb » Thu May 01, 2014 9:28 am

What's so funny 'bout peace love and understanding?
User avatar
dudejcb
hunter
 
Posts: 5242
Joined: Thu Nov 30, 2006 8:29 am
Location: SW Idaho

Re: China to Overtake U.S.

Postby SpinnerMan » Thu May 01, 2014 9:58 am


Really what? :huh:

Your link says the same as mine at first glance, so who and what was meant by really? :huh:
A politician thinks of the next election; a statesman of the next generation. A politician looks for the success of his party; a statesman for that of the country. The statesman wished to steer, while the politician was satisfied to drift.
User avatar
SpinnerMan
hunter
 
Posts: 15793
Joined: Mon Dec 12, 2005 11:24 am
Location: Joliet, IL

Re: China to Overtake U.S.

Postby don novicki » Thu May 01, 2014 12:58 pm

You can thank NAFTA and Bill Clinton for starting this downward spiral................."THAT GIANT SUCKING SOUND" as H Ross once said, but no one wanted to listen to him......... :fingerhead:
don novicki
hunter
 
Posts: 693
Joined: Mon Aug 01, 2011 8:16 am

Re: China to Overtake U.S.

Postby SpinnerMan » Thu May 01, 2014 1:14 pm

don novicki wrote:You can thank NAFTA and Bill Clinton for starting this downward spiral................."THAT GIANT SUCKING SOUND" as H Ross once said, but no one wanted to listen to him......... :fingerhead:

NAFTA came into effect in 1994. Things were pretty good for quite awhile after that. Sorry, NAFTA did not hurt. What has hurt is that we had a recession, that happens, but we have not had the normal robust recovery to get back to normal. After NAFTA the economy was solid until the internet bubble burst, then we had the ENRON and other accounting scandals (after shocks to the internet bubble), then the terror attacks on 9/11/01, yet we still did OK until the housing bubble burst. If you look at past major downturns, they are followed by a big boom. There has been no boom and that is because of all the onerous regulations added since then.

Image

Image
Don't forget the Democrats took over Congress in 2007. As bad as Bush was, there was a big step change after the Dems had control of writing new laws.
A politician thinks of the next election; a statesman of the next generation. A politician looks for the success of his party; a statesman for that of the country. The statesman wished to steer, while the politician was satisfied to drift.
User avatar
SpinnerMan
hunter
 
Posts: 15793
Joined: Mon Dec 12, 2005 11:24 am
Location: Joliet, IL


Return to Controversial Issues Forum

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 7 guests