Darwin wasn't always right

A forum not related to waterfowl for discussing the more controversial and hot topic issues in our world from immigration, politics, the war, etc..

Moderators: Smackaduck, MM

Re: Darwin wasn't always right

Postby Glimmerjim » Wed May 07, 2014 12:54 pm

Indaswamp wrote:BTW...what kind of a :censored: detour put you into that predicament anyways!?!?!

I started out on a pretty decent little trail at the riverside, Inda. Pretty soon I am running into brush and trees by the river and the trail heads upwards a bit. OK, no sweat. So I follow this trail that turns into a deer trail, but is still walkable. After a bit of scrambling I am about 20 feet from the top, but I had kicked or pulled out half the handholds on my way up and the bank was still moist from recent rains. So there I find myself, gaining a foot at a time with the top right in sight. I had hoisted my dog to a little shelf above me, and when she couldn't see me anymore she freaked and started crying and yapping. That's when the neighbor came out, saw us, and called 911. Pretty soon there's news choppers, rescue trucks, boats in the river....and I'm feeling pretty dam stupid! :lol3:
Glimmerjim
hunter
 
Posts: 10708
Joined: Fri Jan 28, 2011 10:41 am


Re: Darwin wasn't always right

Postby Glimmerjim » Wed May 07, 2014 12:56 pm

Andy W wrote:They rescued the dog first? :huh:

Jim, what the heck were you thinking? You're not an 18 year old. :fingerpt: Glad both of you are OK. :thumbsup:

Not physically an 18 year old, Andy. The head still has some growing up to do! :lol3:
Glimmerjim
hunter
 
Posts: 10708
Joined: Fri Jan 28, 2011 10:41 am

Re: Darwin wasn't always right

Postby Glimmerjim » Wed May 07, 2014 12:58 pm

Indaswamp wrote:
clampdaddy wrote:Holy hell, Jim! :lol3:

X2!!! :lol3:
That could have ended badly...BTW, not how I pictured you in my head jim!! :lol3:

I wondered about that when I posted it, Inda. I always form a picture of people in my mind when I have spoken to them but not seen them. Seldom do they match!
Glimmerjim
hunter
 
Posts: 10708
Joined: Fri Jan 28, 2011 10:41 am

Re: Darwin wasn't always right

Postby Indaswamp » Wed May 07, 2014 1:01 pm

Glimmerjim wrote:
Indaswamp wrote:BTW...what kind of a :censored: detour put you into that predicament anyways!?!?!

I started out on a pretty decent little trail at the riverside, Inda. Pretty soon I am running into brush and trees by the river and the trail heads upwards a bit. OK, no sweat. So I follow this trail that turns into a deer trail, but is still walkable. After a bit of scrambling I am about 20 feet from the top, but I had kicked or pulled out half the handholds on my way up and the bank was still moist from recent rains. So there I find myself, gaining a foot at a time with the top right in sight. I had hoisted my dog to a little shelf above me, and when she couldn't see me anymore she freaked and started crying and yapping. That's when the neighbor came out, saw us, and called 911. Pretty soon there's news choppers, rescue trucks, boats in the river....and I'm feeling pretty dam stupid! :lol3:

no way to turn around on the trail?
The Cajun 7 Course Meal; 1 lb. of boudin and a six pack of Abita beer.

Save the Marsh, Eat a Nutria!

Image
User avatar
Indaswamp
Forum Moderator
 
Posts: 56340
Joined: Thu Aug 07, 2008 8:40 pm
Location: South Louisiana

Re: Darwin wasn't always right

Postby Glimmerjim » Wed May 07, 2014 1:02 pm

clampdaddy wrote:
Indaswamp wrote:...BTW, not how I pictured you in my head jim!! :lol3:

Same here. I always pictured you as being older, thinner, balding. More grandfatherly looking I guess you'd say.

I'm a Great-grandfather twice over, cd! We're like rabbits! :lol3:
Glimmerjim
hunter
 
Posts: 10708
Joined: Fri Jan 28, 2011 10:41 am

Re: Darwin wasn't always right

Postby Indaswamp » Wed May 07, 2014 1:04 pm

I found a better picture of Jim out on the ledge...



































































Image
The Cajun 7 Course Meal; 1 lb. of boudin and a six pack of Abita beer.

Save the Marsh, Eat a Nutria!

Image
User avatar
Indaswamp
Forum Moderator
 
Posts: 56340
Joined: Thu Aug 07, 2008 8:40 pm
Location: South Louisiana

Re: Darwin wasn't always right

Postby Glimmerjim » Wed May 07, 2014 1:05 pm

Indaswamp wrote: no way to turn around on the trail?

No, I had broken too many of my handholds going up, and made too many "jump for the next one" decisions on the way up.
Glimmerjim
hunter
 
Posts: 10708
Joined: Fri Jan 28, 2011 10:41 am

Re: Darwin wasn't always right

Postby Glimmerjim » Wed May 07, 2014 1:08 pm

Indaswamp wrote:I found a better picture of Jim out on the ledge...


Image


:lol3: Except they land pretty gently on all fours, Inda. I would have landed like a gunnysack of jello and broken glass! :lol3:
Glimmerjim
hunter
 
Posts: 10708
Joined: Fri Jan 28, 2011 10:41 am

Re: Darwin wasn't always right

Postby Glimmerjim » Wed May 07, 2014 1:10 pm

Slack Tide wrote:Take a look at the exact moment that they video stops....your dog is shooting you a look with a little smile....funny....
Glad you are ok...

She was probably in amazement I was still alive> The FD said she acted like she was looking for a new home! :lol3:
Thanks Slack! :thumbsup:
Glimmerjim
hunter
 
Posts: 10708
Joined: Fri Jan 28, 2011 10:41 am

Re: Darwin wasn't always right

Postby Glimmerjim » Wed May 07, 2014 1:13 pm

buckmeister wrote::clapping: :clapping: Sometimes you just gota do it because its there! Anybody can sit on the front porch, love the story, glad your Ok, and you have a great looking lab. :beer:


Bingo, Buck!! :thumbsup: and thanks for the compliment on my dog. She's a good girl.
Glimmerjim
hunter
 
Posts: 10708
Joined: Fri Jan 28, 2011 10:41 am

Re: Darwin wasn't always right

Postby Gunnysway » Wed May 07, 2014 1:18 pm

No lecture from me Jim. Just glad you and your good lookin' pup made it back home safely.

Give her a biscuit for me... :thumbsup:
Setting up meetings between geese and God since 1992...

Gud till ära, oss till gagn...
User avatar
Gunnysway
hunter
 
Posts: 2709
Joined: Fri May 25, 2012 11:46 am
Location: Somewhere between Heaven and Hell

Re: Darwin wasn't always right

Postby Indaswamp » Wed May 07, 2014 1:27 pm

Ditto...glad you are alright Jim.
The Cajun 7 Course Meal; 1 lb. of boudin and a six pack of Abita beer.

Save the Marsh, Eat a Nutria!

Image
User avatar
Indaswamp
Forum Moderator
 
Posts: 56340
Joined: Thu Aug 07, 2008 8:40 pm
Location: South Louisiana

Re: Darwin wasn't always right

Postby Glimmerjim » Wed May 07, 2014 1:48 pm

Thanks very much, guys! All's well that ends well, huh? Plus the F Dept had a grand time. Good guys, all of 'em!
Glimmerjim
hunter
 
Posts: 10708
Joined: Fri Jan 28, 2011 10:41 am

Re: Darwin wasn't always right

Postby ScaupHunter » Wed May 07, 2014 1:53 pm

I think the first time you have to grab something to pull yourself up should be your sign it is time to head back from now on. That and having to lift your dog up to the next level is a really good indicator.
Bella's
Decoy Setting Pro Staff
Boat Operator Pro Staff
Duck Shooting Pro Staff
Warm Towel Pro Staff
Snack Supply Pro Staff

He works for free! Who's the B now?
User avatar
ScaupHunter
hunter
 
Posts: 6453
Joined: Sat Mar 17, 2012 5:57 am

Re: Darwin wasn't always right

Postby SpinnerMan » Wed May 07, 2014 1:56 pm

Indaswamp wrote:I found a better picture of Jim out on the ledge...
Image

:lol3:

Although I think this looks more like Jim.

Image
A politician thinks of the next election; a statesman of the next generation. A politician looks for the success of his party; a statesman for that of the country. The statesman wished to steer, while the politician was satisfied to drift.
User avatar
SpinnerMan
hunter
 
Posts: 15867
Joined: Mon Dec 12, 2005 11:24 am
Location: Joliet, IL

Re: Darwin wasn't always right

Postby Glimmerjim » Wed May 07, 2014 2:58 pm

SpinnerMan wrote:
Indaswamp wrote:I found a better picture of Jim out on the ledge...
Image

:lol3:

Although I think this looks more like Jim.

Image

:lol3: Man, if I'd only had a tail!
Glimmerjim
hunter
 
Posts: 10708
Joined: Fri Jan 28, 2011 10:41 am

Re: Darwin wasn't always right

Postby Glimmerjim » Wed May 07, 2014 3:01 pm

ScaupHunter wrote:I think the first time you have to grab something to pull yourself up should be your sign it is time to head back from now on. That and having to lift your dog up to the next level is a really good indicator.

I do that stuff all the time scaup. The best fishing hole is always just around and over the next hill. Just never got in quite this predicament! Plus, I used to have pretty decent arm strength to weight....that sure flipped! :lol3:
Glimmerjim
hunter
 
Posts: 10708
Joined: Fri Jan 28, 2011 10:41 am

Re: Darwin wasn't always right

Postby Indaswamp » Wed May 07, 2014 4:35 pm

SpinnerMan wrote:
Indaswamp wrote:I found a better picture of Jim out on the ledge...
Image

:lol3:

Although I think this looks more like Jim.

Image

:lol3: :lol3: :lol3: :lol3: :lol3: :lol3:
The Cajun 7 Course Meal; 1 lb. of boudin and a six pack of Abita beer.

Save the Marsh, Eat a Nutria!

Image
User avatar
Indaswamp
Forum Moderator
 
Posts: 56340
Joined: Thu Aug 07, 2008 8:40 pm
Location: South Louisiana

Re: Darwin wasn't always right

Postby On the X » Wed May 07, 2014 6:47 pm

Indaswamp wrote:
clampdaddy wrote:Holy hell, Jim! :lol3:

X2!!! :lol3:
That could have ended badly...BTW, not how I pictured you in my head jim!! :lol3:

I pictured him with dreadlocks wearing sandals and tie-dye.....and Jim, just because smoking that sh$t makes you think you can fly doesn't mean you really can, not vertically anyways lol
On the X
hunter
 
Posts: 270
Joined: Mon Jan 27, 2014 7:34 pm

Re: Darwin wasn't always right

Postby ohioboy » Wed May 07, 2014 6:50 pm

Glimmerjim wrote:
SpinnerMan wrote:
Indaswamp wrote:I found a better picture of Jim out on the ledge...
Image

:lol3:

Although I think this looks more like Jim.

Image

:lol3: Man, if I'd only had a tail!

oh, that is a tail? :lol3:
User avatar
ohioboy
hunter
 
Posts: 2324
Joined: Mon Apr 06, 2009 9:28 pm
Location: MoCo, MD

Re: Darwin wasn't always right

Postby cartervj » Wed May 07, 2014 6:51 pm

You're a good sport GJ, always able to laugh at yourself :thumbsup:

not as I pictured you, but close, glad ya made it :beer: :lol3:
“Nothing makes me more certain of the victory of our ideas than our success in the universities” – Adolf H, 1930
User avatar
cartervj
hunter
 
Posts: 7240
Joined: Mon Jul 06, 2009 3:01 pm
Location: NW AL

Re: Darwin wasn't always right

Postby Glimmerjim » Wed May 07, 2014 7:41 pm

cartervj wrote:You're a good sport GJ, always able to laugh at yourself :thumbsup:

not as I pictured you, but close, glad ya made it :beer: :lol3:

Thanks carter! The situations I get myself into, I get a lot of practice laughing at myself! :lol3:
Glimmerjim
hunter
 
Posts: 10708
Joined: Fri Jan 28, 2011 10:41 am

Re: Darwin wasn't always right

Postby ohioboy » Wed May 07, 2014 8:10 pm

Glimmerjim wrote:
cartervj wrote:You're a good sport GJ, always able to laugh at yourself :thumbsup:

not as I pictured you, but close, glad ya made it :beer: :lol3:

Thanks carter! The situations I get myself into, I get a lot of practice laughing at myself! :lol3:

i did something similar on the bluffs above the Mississippi in St. Paul a couple years back, but with my 18 month old niece on my back. she giggled the whole way down....then we had to go back up. no choppers came for me though.

walking on the frozen river was surreal. it was 13 degrees that day for a high. that kid wanted to stay out all day.

Jim, where were are the gay hippies i hear of in Cali? i thought they would just be all over...i saw none in the video. :umm:
User avatar
ohioboy
hunter
 
Posts: 2324
Joined: Mon Apr 06, 2009 9:28 pm
Location: MoCo, MD

Re: Darwin wasn't always right

Postby Glimmerjim » Wed May 07, 2014 10:29 pm

ohioboy wrote:
Glimmerjim wrote:
cartervj wrote:You're a good sport GJ, always able to laugh at yourself :thumbsup:

not as I pictured you, but close, glad ya made it :beer: :lol3:

Thanks carter! The situations I get myself into, I get a lot of practice laughing at myself! :lol3:

i did something similar on the bluffs above the Mississippi in St. Paul a couple years back, but with my 18 month old niece on my back. she giggled the whole way down....then we had to go back up. no choppers came for me though.

walking on the frozen river was surreal. it was 13 degrees that day for a high. that kid wanted to stay out all day.

Jim, where were are the gay hippies i hear of in Cali? i thought they would just be all over...i saw none in the video. :umm:

Are you SURE you saw none in the video???? :lol3: Just kidding!!! Holey moley, ohio! Even I wouldn't do it with an 18 month old! I'd be so terrified for the kid I couldn't think. Not, obviously, that I think that well without one! :lol3: I'm in Sacramento, ohio. Most of it is really just a big, small town. They ring cattle bells at our basketball stadium! We are certainly not LA or San Fran. There's still a lot of horses on my side of town. My son lives near me and he has goats, chickens, 4 dogs and three kids! It's a freakin' menagerie! :lol3:
Glimmerjim
hunter
 
Posts: 10708
Joined: Fri Jan 28, 2011 10:41 am

Re: Darwin wasn't always right

Postby Gunnysway » Thu May 08, 2014 5:11 am

ohioboy wrote:
Glimmerjim wrote:
cartervj wrote:You're a good sport GJ, always able to laugh at yourself :thumbsup:

not as I pictured you, but close, glad ya made it :beer: :lol3:

Thanks carter! The situations I get myself into, I get a lot of practice laughing at myself! :lol3:

i did something similar on the bluffs above the Mississippi in St. Paul a couple years back, but with my 18 month old niece on my back. she giggled the whole way down....then we had to go back up. no choppers came for me though.

walking on the frozen river was surreal. it was 13 degrees that day for a high. that kid wanted to stay out all day.

Jim, where were are the gay hippies i hear of in Cali? i thought they would just be all over...i saw none in the video. :umm:



That's because kids in MN are tougher than kids from the rest if the country... :hammer:



:wink:

(kinda'...)
Setting up meetings between geese and God since 1992...

Gud till ära, oss till gagn...
User avatar
Gunnysway
hunter
 
Posts: 2709
Joined: Fri May 25, 2012 11:46 am
Location: Somewhere between Heaven and Hell

PreviousNext

Return to Controversial Issues Forum

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 23 guests