Obama Really Mad About V.A. (no really)

A forum not related to waterfowl for discussing the more controversial and hot topic issues in our world from immigration, politics, the war, etc..

Moderators: Smackaduck, MM

Obama Really Mad About V.A. (no really)

Postby nitram » Wed May 21, 2014 5:49 pm

Barack Obama finally addressed the wait-time scandal at numerous Veteran Affairs facilities around the nation. “When I hear allegations of misconduct, any misconduct, whether it’s allegations of VA staff covering up long wait times or cooking the books, I will not stand for it, not as commander in chief, but also not as an American, none of us should,” Obama said. “So, if these allegations prove to be true, it is dishonorable, it is disgraceful, and I will not tolerate it – period.” But as for the 40 veterans who died while waiting in Phoenix, he argued there might not be “a link between the wait and them actually dying.” So far, the extent of “accountability” for Obama administration misdeeds has been denial, a statement of anger, and foot-dragging until the matter is old news. There is not one smidgeon of a reason to believe this will be different.

And furthermore; “The president, as we all know, has been talking about the issues and challenges facing VA since he was a candidate,” said White House Propaganda Minister Jay Carney aka "DC Bob". “And it was precisely those problems that had been identified and discussed in 2006, 2007 and 2008 that he spoke about as a candidate and that led him to commit to increased resources. So no, this is not a new issue to the president. That’s why he has been focused on it since he’s been president.” Wait, didn’t he just say that Obama found out from news reports? Are you confused yet…
Pain or damage don't end the world. Or despair or f-ing beatings. The world ends when you're dead. Until then, you got more punishment in store. Stand it like a man... and give some back.- Al Swearengen
nitram
hunter

Re: Obama Really Mad About V.A. (no really)

Postby SpinnerMan » Thu May 22, 2014 10:06 am

Of course he is and he has his administration working hard to find just the right hashtag to solve this serious problem.

Maybe we can help?

#BringBackOurDeadVets

#FauxOutrageIsGoodPolitics

#DoNotBlameMe

#IFeelYourPainToo

#WhyAreYouBotheringMeIHaveElectionsToWorryAbout
A politician thinks of the next election; a statesman of the next generation. A politician looks for the success of his party; a statesman for that of the country. The statesman wished to steer, while the politician was satisfied to drift.
SpinnerMan
hunter

Postby Slack Tide » Thu May 22, 2014 10:20 am

My dad swears by the coverage, care and attention he gets at the VA in Fort Myers FL....I was really surprised to hear this...
"I've been left for dead before but I'll still fight on, don't wait up, leave the light on, I'll be home soon"
Chris Smither
Slack Tide
hunter

Postby SpinnerMan » Thu May 22, 2014 10:53 am

Slack Tide wrote:My dad swears by the coverage, care and attention he gets at the VA in Fort Myers FL....I was really surprised to hear this...

Like most government run things, there is no consistency from place to place. If you get the right people that care and are competent, you get acceptable results. You get incompetent idiots and you get a mess. Unlike the private sector, there is no effective way to get rid of the idiots.

Think about any big nationwide franchise. The successful ones. You can go into any franchise in the country and you know what you will get.

Now think about that big nationwide franchise run by the government. Sure the best will still be as good, but the worst will be far far worse and they will stay that way for far longer. The feedback just is not there to maintain the quality and uniformity that is necessary. This is why government tries to institute incentive programs to try and mimic the free market, but as we saw with the VA, all that did is lead to fraud and what does the bureaucracy do to correct that?

http://abcnews.go.com/Politics/obama-allegations-va-misconduct-stand/story?id=23809975
Obama also announced that Nabors will conduct a broader review of the Veterans Health Administration, the part of the VA that delivers health care to veterans. That full report is expected to be completed next month.

And that report will be a political document that politicians, unions, and all other powerful people will get to review and edit. And by the time that month has passed, this will no longer be a headline and just like Obama was going to get those responsible for the Benghazi attack, and OJ pursuing the real killers, it will be forgotten and the bureaucracy expanded, which is all the bureaucrats ever care about. More bureaucrats, more managers, more money, bigger salaries, more power, more votes, and more of the things that really matter to the people in charge because it is clear what didn't matter before and it won't matter again and it will remain a crap shoot with some places run well and some places a disaster, especially since bankruptcy which is the ultimate feedback and motivator does not exist when there is no competition.
A politician thinks of the next election; a statesman of the next generation. A politician looks for the success of his party; a statesman for that of the country. The statesman wished to steer, while the politician was satisfied to drift.
SpinnerMan
hunter

Postby Slack Tide » Thu May 22, 2014 11:31 am

It is a disgrace that these people don't get THE best care in the world....at every single VA...it's embarrassing...how the hell do you expect people to want to join the military these days if you can't even ensure them proper care?
"I've been left for dead before but I'll still fight on, don't wait up, leave the light on, I'll be home soon"
Chris Smither
Slack Tide
hunter

Postby SpinnerMan » Thu May 22, 2014 11:46 am

Who, other than a diehard liberal, thinks the government will EVER provide the best care?

http://query.nytimes.com/gst/fullpage.html?res=F20717FC3A5B0C748EDDA80894DE404482

American health care is desperately in need of reform. But what form should change take? Are there any useful examples we can turn to for guidance?

Well, I know about a health care system that has been highly successful in containing costs, yet provides excellent care. And the story of this system's success provides a helpful corrective to anti-government ideology. For the government doesn't just pay the bills in this system -- it runs the hospitals and clinics.

No, I'm not talking about some faraway country. The system in question is our very own Veterans Health Administration, whose success story is one of the best-kept secrets in the American policy debate.

If it's too good to be true, that's because it probably is, but Paul Krugman just wanted it to be true, so he bought into the con.

Freedom and choice are how you get the best and never is it a monopoly, not even a government monopoly no matter how desperately liberals want to believe that next time they will finally get it right.

If the VA hospitals are the best, they stay in business. If they are not, then they either shape up or ship out because the Vets are not captive consumers.
SpinnerMan
hunter

Return to Controversial Issues Forum