Immigration vs. History

A forum not related to waterfowl for discussing the more controversial and hot topic issues in our world from immigration, politics, the war, etc..

Moderators: Smackaduck, MM

Postby Pumpgunner » Sat May 24, 2008 3:23 pm

Good story Dude, for more examples of So Cal cops beating up middle class white kids at the time check out Henry Rollins's biography Get In The Van, about when he was the singer of Black Flag in the early 80's. Their shows in LA and Orange counties were pretty much guaranteed to be well attended by the cops busting heads!
Pumpgunner
hunter

Postby Chris Bishop » Sat May 24, 2008 4:08 pm

I'd rather give them back California. What good is it? I'm not saying you're a left wing liberal dude, you're more of a right wing liberal. I'm sure you'd agree that CA is too liberal for even you. Look at all the lead bans/ ammo bans/ gun restrictions they have. Texas is the opposite. Let's keep TX and let CA go

Preacher, you may want to reconsider about giving Cali back.......it has the 7th largest economy on the planet......that about 15% of US GDP. :thumbsup: [/quote]
Chris Bishop
hunter

Postby mrbigtexan » Sat May 24, 2008 6:10 pm

Preacher1011 wrote:I'd rather give them back California. What good is it? I'm not saying you're a left wing liberal dude, you're more of a right wing liberal. I'm sure you'd agree that CA is too liberal for even you. Look at all the lead bans/ ammo bans/ gun restrictions they have. Texas is the opposite. Let's keep TX and let CA go.
thank you preacher
mrbigtexan
hunter

Postby mrbigtexan » Sat May 24, 2008 6:11 pm

dudejcb wrote:
captainduckhead wrote:
Preacher1011 wrote:Here is my problem with illegal immigration on the side of Mexicans. They will come from our country and take from it and not accept our values and our customs. Instead they impose their values and customs onto us Americans. Don't believe me? Look at California. There are a few instances where Mexicans have flown their flag over ours. That's what gets me. Not that they are illegal or they don't try, but they refuse to accept American culture. Not to mention they are forming new gangs every single day, but that's another "controversial issue."

Bravo Preacher! You just redeemed yourself 100% for that abortion malarcky.
That's the exact problem I have with immigration. Back when Ellis Island was in operation, we NEEDED the people, and they NEEDED us. Immigrants from Italy, Holland, Ireland, England, Mexico, China, Japan, all had a dream. The dream was to come to America and become AMERICAN. People would pass through the gates at Ellis Island and literally kiss the ground out of thankfulness. They worked hard to SHED their ethnic cultural differences and BLEND in and become AMERICAN. During WWII, How many thousands of Japanese American solderiers, marched proudly, fought bravely, and died gloriously in the name of the Red, White, and Blue? They wouldn't have dreamed of flying their home countries flag benieth the American flag just to show their heritage, They LOVED AMERICA. and anyone who doesn't LOVE America can get the hell out, and go straight back to where they came from. Thes Chicano gangbangers, with the mexican flag, or those Heroin shooting raft riders down in florida with the Cuban flag on their dashboard. They aren't Americans and do not deserve the rights that my Grandfathers fought to provide them with, so to hell with them all.
CDH you alwasy crack me up. Tis is an intersting thread cuz I agree with almost everyone.

I don't get why we cannot make it possible for illegals to come here legally. I think the mojority are hard working and looking for a better life... but what is it that make the illegal entry route the preferred choice over the legal route. Does it take too long, cost too much?

Also, most immigrants in the past did blend in as "Americans" but they still held on to their heritage to a degree. (tho only ones who don't all that much are the Germans (I'm part German) due to their shame over WW1 and WW2. Or at least taht's why my gramps celbrated his Irish side and ignored his German side... his brother was killed in WW1... fighting on our side BTW.)

Norwegians, Pols, Swiss, etc. still do some stuff to commemorate their heritage... get dressed up in their funny clothes and dance around eating fish preserved in lye! so I don't mind the Hispanics doing some of that... but I would prefer it if they (those that do this) dropped the La Raza attitude and the notion of taking back California and texas... although I might be willing to let texas go.

now that I think about it... why do we have texas? we've already used up most of their oil, isn't time we let 'em go? kinda like catch & release.
easy there dude, you need to come and visit and i know that you will like texas and texans
mrbigtexan
hunter

Postby dudejcb » Sun May 25, 2008 10:21 am

you're right mrbigtexan... I pretty much like everyone until I have a good reason to go otherwise.

As far as me picking on texas... You have to understand that I grew up in Green Bay, used to have season Packer tickets during the Lombardi days (actually my dad had 'em--he and my mom sat on the 50-yard line and my brother and I were in the "chidlrens's section" on the 10-yard line about 12 rows up) so I have a natural disdain for the Cowboys just out of history (plus Jerry makes it easy)... especially since they dumped the Pack so routinely in the '90's... but back to the point about regional bashing.

I was pretty much joking and think it's important to rotate our regional bias so everyone gets thier chance in the barrel. Idaho's up next... and I can say this with out fear of contradiction... lot's of big arses around here. whacko's, religious fanatics, governmental graft... the whole gammit, but without the dilution that comes with a larger population that tends to make it more balanced. That's probably what has driven me further to the left over the last 15 years. But I do love Idaho's geography and wide open public lands. But then again, I'm wierd.

None of you guys would like it here! Fishing and hunting suck. It's just a flat dusty high desert and there's only one tree in the whole state, and they're thinking about chopping it down! We even have a website about it... will post it later after I find it again....
What's so funny 'bout peace love and understanding?
dudejcb
hunter

Re: Immigration vs. History

Postby Littlejohnny29 » Tue May 27, 2008 8:14 am

[quote="Pumpgunner"]I've known and worked with many illegals over the years (was a professional chef for 10 years, now I work as a carpenter) and almost to a man they were hard-working, law-abiding family men who personified the American Dream of working hard, providing for your family, and making a better place in the world for their kids. America is the richest country in the world, and if we can't make room at the table and share the wealth with the less fortunate, then something in our core values as a society is wrong. History has proven that immigrants enrich a culture, and every mass wave of immigration in our nation's history has had the end effect of enriching our culture and making our nation a stronger, more balanced country. (except maybe the 1st, just ask the Indians.)[quote]

Thank you. My mom and dad immigrated here from Italy to give their children the best, to live better than they did.

They took advantage of opportunity and did very well, all three of us went onto college and grad school.

They took jobs that no one would ever consider. Mom worked in a sweat shop sewing dresses at night. My dad, a mason that worked 7 days a week.

To this day, we never stop - if there is opportunity to make money and give our children the best, we'll go for it.

Where most immigrants come from, they cannot make the money they make back home. My parents never would of thought that at the end of the week, you get a pay check and on the weekend, you can make more money working extra - unheard of in Italy when they were living the.

My dad owns his own company, and many times his employees would yell at him b/c they claim that my dad was "making a ton of money off them and he was a dumb illiterate Italian."

Each time, my dad would give them the same answer: "There is a lot of room out there, you can even read, write and speak the American language. By all means, please go and do not come back. Here is your pay for the day. I do not need you and don't waste my f#*king time."

That is the beautiful thing about this country. If you have the drive and will power, regardless of who you are, you can do well.
"One day before I die, I am going to hunt flooded timber in Arkansas"
Littlejohnny29
hunter

Postby bluewing77 » Tue May 27, 2008 10:11 am

my wife's maternal grandparents came here illegally from mexico, ~ 1935. her dad's family has been in N. NM since before it was "illegal".

in northern NM, spanish is still spoken in many homes in smaller towns/villages in rural mountain areas, where hispanic families have lived since the 1700s - 1800s.

i'm scottish/irish/spanish, and 100% legal :biggrin:
bluewing77
hunter

Postby captainduckhead » Tue May 27, 2008 10:14 am

bluewing, you know what I think...
Mojo Mallards are gay
captainduckhead
hunter

Postby Pumpgunner » Wed May 28, 2008 2:26 pm

Bluewing, my wife's family has a really similar story-they were Mexican all the way, living near Taos, NM and when the border between the US and Mexico was redrawn they ended up on the US side.
Pumpgunner
hunter

Postby Willie » Thu May 29, 2008 3:01 pm

I'm sick of watching the news and the lead story being about an illegal driving drunk down the beltline against traffic and killing a car load of people. Happened 3 times in NC already this year...
Willie
hunter

Postby LIGHT12 » Thu May 29, 2008 3:28 pm

Willie, move down here. You'll really get sick of new like that. Scottsdale police pulled over an illegal for speeding a few months back. Can't take him in they are not ICE. So he goes on his way. Is being followed for suspicion of drunk driving a few weeks later in Phoenix. The same guy. He pulls over. The officer gets out and approaches the car. He pulls out with a .22 pistol and shoots the officer.

Similar stories weekly sometime daily here.
Have you ever woke up one day and said. Damn when does the season start.
LIGHT12
hunter

Previous

Return to Controversial Issues Forum