I want a month too!!!

A forum not related to waterfowl for discussing the more controversial and hot topic issues in our world from immigration, politics, the war, etc..

Moderators: Smackaduck, MM

Postby SpinnerMan » Mon Jun 09, 2008 9:13 am

You guys miss the point. You must divide yourself into smaller groups. Everybody is in a minority group when you divide things fine enough. Then you can blame others for your failings and use it as an excuse to take on no resposibilities for your own life.

As a hunter, I really can make a lot of people that I work with squirm in the their seats talking about it. I know some of them talk badly about me behind my back. I have to close my garage door whenever I clean something. When my dog was young, I really prayed none of my neighbors were looking out their windows, when tossing a dead bird around for my puppy. We already are an oppressed minority and need to feel that we are not welcome in some segments of society.

Everybody runs into quite a few a-holes in their life. Granted if you are an effeminent (dude how do you spell it?), fat, gay, black man, living in a small town, you will probably run into way more of them than the rest of us, but you can still succeed in America if you tell them to F--- off and keep plowing ahead (no pun intended).

If we work really hard, everybody is part of some misunderstood and oppressed group that somebody else doesn't like for no good reason. It's hopeless. Let the sectarian violence begin.
SpinnerMan
hunter

Postby wackemstackem » Mon Jun 09, 2008 9:32 am

Tangier Island Slacker wrote:
Preacher1011 wrote:
Tangier Island Slacker wrote:is are childrin lerning?????

I swear that Tyler kid keeps getting past us Moderators, we really have to start doing a better job. :rofl:

Clowns to the left of me... and, well, that's it. Just clowns.

My man jehler's the jester,he's got the pointy shoes with bells the hat,the whole 9yrds,If you want I can hook you up with some big shoes and red nose.But we really should ask the other guys if its ok first.
It's my Island.
wackemstackem
muppet paster

Postby Fowlercon » Mon Jun 09, 2008 9:53 am

If you want your own month that bad then start writing your congressman.

Ask yourself, Does "other peoples months" adversely affect my life? Why am I angered by Puerto Rican pride? Why is it threatening to me if gays want to get married? Do you think whites have it worse than the aforementioned minorities?

I think people are threatened somehow by someone or some group that is different from them. Ignorance is the foundation of fear. Why are some of you so afraid? Do you feel that somehow by honoring a great man like Martin Luther King Jr for one day out a year that his apparent "blackness" may rub off on you and your family? Enjoy your free holiday! I'm classified as an Italian/German American based on blood lines alone. Guess what? Not only do I not give a crap about Columbus Day but I don't honor or celebrate it in any way whatsoever. Do I feel any sense of pride or belonging to my German heritage? No. In fact I can't think of anything a German could be proud of in the last 100 years. If you insist on painting me and everybody else into a very small corner, that has nothing to do with the kind of man that I am, then call me a Kentuckian. I love this state and I love the city I live in. Call me a Louisvillian Kentuckian. It's as meaningless and as simple minded as wedding rings, burials, yellow ribbons, red ribbons and whatever other simple minded SYMBOLS we have created to keep the truth hidden. But we sure feel warm and fuzzy when we see these things don't we? We love to build monuments to ourselves and tend to do nothing to solve the actual problem.

White americans have it easier than minorities, period. That's why they have their special days or months. It gives themselves a sense of belonging. It gives them a day or month of pride when they are otherwise being crap on. Let's be honest with ourselves. Doesn't everyone in here think that everyday is white pride day?
"It is not the function of our Government to keep the citizen from falling
into error; it is the function of the citizen to keep the Government from
falling into error."
Fowlercon
hunter

Postby HotDog » Mon Jun 09, 2008 10:10 am

Tangier Island Slacker wrote:Clowns to the left of me... and, well, that's it. Just clowns.

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl:
WTN10 wrote:
"Why do you assume I'm a genius? Have you ever considered that I'm average and that you're retarded?"
HotDog
hunter

Postby SpinnerMan » Mon Jun 09, 2008 10:14 am

When you say minorities, do you include women? White women are the largest single group of people, but they would argue that they are a minority because they have it a lot worse than white men. Look at some of Hillary's supporters who believe she lost solely because she's a woman. The government shouldn't sanction any of this us versus them nonsense.

Does it give you a sense of pride when some straight white guy does something because I presume you are a straight white guy?

We are all Americans from George Washington to Oprah Winfrey to Ellen Degenerous to whoever and all in between. There are great guys that did great things and all of them did some dumb things. That doesn't mean we should highlight their successes or flaws because of some arbitrary group we decide to put them in.

If doing something good reflects positively on your arbitrary group, then doing something poorly would have to reflect negatively on your arbitrary group. You can't have the good without the bad. The more people look at other people as a part of a different group, the worse things will be. It will never be an idealistic world, but we should head in that direction and not the other way.

The future of America. What do you mean we don't have it as bad as they do?
http://www.iht.com/articles/ap/2007/06/05/asia/AS-GEN-India-Caste-Conflict.php
SpinnerMan
hunter

Postby don taylor » Mon Jun 09, 2008 10:15 am

Too late. You drank the Kool-aid.

My problem is them force feeding me with all of their culture and diversity. I can go on and on about the differences between the races. 4000 years ago africans were living in huts. so were europeans. Guess what? Africans are still in huts. They have very little to offer in the way of substantial contributions to the world, but I'm forced to learn about swahili mosquito dances. Unequal contributions deserves unequal study. I sat through 5 february's of black history month in school. Not 1 hour on slovakia or Russia or a host of other parts of the world. Our history is optional Their's is mandatory.

BTW MLK day is great? Take my day off? What about the 250,000 federal, state and local employees who get a PAID day off on our bill?

You don't really think that day was for anything other than appeasement and to give the feds a paid day off, do you? Cause I got news for you...

Rosa Parks did more.
BIGGER WATER DECOYS

Chairman- The Allegheny Chapter of Delta Waterfowl.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/4277478 ... 6859634909
don taylor
Forum & State Moderator

Postby Rat Creek » Mon Jun 09, 2008 10:20 am

I tend to think that the special months are a bad idea. There are important contributions to our country’s history from all ethnic and cultural backgrounds, and those contributions should be noted in proper context. For example, if you are discussing agriculture, it makes perfect sense to include George Washington Carver (the peanut guy) in the discussion. Having been born into slavery, his life story is very interesting and his contributions to agriculture are significant. If you relegate him to Black History Month, it is as if his contributions are not enough on their own. I think separating history by ethnicity demeans it, rather than elevates it.

And I think it further separates Americans by demographic factors driving more wedges between people.
Rat Creek
Rat Creek
hunter

Postby Rat Creek » Mon Jun 09, 2008 10:21 am

And no, there shouldn’t be a White month or any other special month. Just doesn’t seem right or decent.
Rat Creek
Rat Creek
hunter

Postby carsonr2 » Mon Jun 09, 2008 12:01 pm

Hey don,
I don't disagree with you, but I love MLK day. I'm a local government employee that gets to go hunting on a paid vacation day. The funding for my position, and the entire department in my county does not come from taxpayers monies. This is the case with our type of department, and is similar in most States. The money comes from direct fines, acquired from people within the county, this money is paid out to our department employees strictly. So be correct when you label that government jobs are supported by the taxpayer, most are, but their many that are not. My paycheck does not have an affect on you, or anyone else on this forum, unless you live in my county and are breaking the law. Which is a different subject.

I do agree in that there should be an option for studying certain subjects in school. I have spent enough of my time studying subjects that did not interest me, and did not lead onto anything that I could say progressively led to furthering my education within a certain realm. This goes for middle/high school and undergraduate college. It was not until graduate school that I felt each course was something that I enjoyed, and provided information that directly impacted my future employment. I will contradict myself on one point, in that many individuals don't know exactly what they would like to pursue in school, so an introduction into many things (even minority groups, i.e. cultural studies) provides a way of assisting them in making a decision in the future.
carsonr2
hunter

Postby Fowlercon » Mon Jun 09, 2008 12:08 pm

Rat Creek wrote:I tend to think that the special months are a bad idea. There are important contributions to our country’s history from all ethnic and cultural backgrounds, and those contributions should be noted in proper context. For example, if you are discussing agriculture, it makes perfect sense to include George Washington Carver (the peanut guy) in the discussion. Having been born into slavery, his life story is very interesting and his contributions to agriculture are significant. If you relegate him to Black History Month, it is as if his contributions are not enough on their own. I think separating history by ethnicity demeans it, rather than elevates it.

And I think it further separates Americans by demographic factors driving more wedges between people.

Great post RC!
falling into error."
Fowlercon
hunter

Postby don taylor » Mon Jun 09, 2008 12:09 pm

Seems like we should have black history for 30 minutes not the entire month of february. Peanuts and stoplights. What else?
Gangsta rap?
Bustin a sag?
Scratchin records?
Breakdancing?
The cabbage patch?
Or the high water point of black creativity, The Electric Slide?
What else is there?
BIGGER WATER DECOYS

don taylor
Forum & State Moderator

Postby carsonr2 » Mon Jun 09, 2008 12:12 pm

I vote for the cabbage patch. :biggrin:
carsonr2
hunter

Postby don taylor » Mon Jun 09, 2008 12:20 pm

Ok that's 1 vote for the Cabbage patch as the most signifigant contribution blacks have made to society. I mean who hasn't done the cabbage patch, dice roll, or lawnmower drunk on the dance floor?
BIGGER WATER DECOYS

don taylor
Forum & State Moderator

Postby SpinnerMan » Mon Jun 09, 2008 12:23 pm

carsonr2 wrote:The funding for my position, and the entire department in my county does not come from taxpayers monies. This is the case with our type of department, and is similar in most States. The money comes from direct fines, acquired from people within the county, this money is paid out to our department employees strictly. So be correct when you label that government jobs are supported by the taxpayer, most are, but their many that are not.
However, assuming no one violated the law and there were no fine money to fund your job would you be laid off? If the answer is no, then I would say it's taxpayer funds and it's just a book keeping thing. If yes, then it's not, but I'll bet there would never be a shortage of "violations" committed :eek:

However, you are correct that all government employees are not funded by taxpayer funds. Many of them are funded by fees charged to the people being regulated. Although a lot of times it's just a shell game, such as the lottery paying for education and then tax money is shifted to pay for other things.
SpinnerMan
hunter

Postby Fowlercon » Mon Jun 09, 2008 12:24 pm

I had some responses ready.....................until I checked back to find this intolerable idiocy. Somebody create an argument not just retoric........................... :no:

I guess all blacks are just lazy and stupid because all they have managed to contribute is the electric slide. Are you serious? Not even worth my time in typing.........
falling into error."
Fowlercon
hunter

Postby don taylor » Mon Jun 09, 2008 12:31 pm

What did MLK do? His greatest accomplishment, besides getting shot, was a speech JFK's writers wrote. Besides you say that like MLK planned his own assaination. He didn't kill himself for other blacks. He's not a messiah who gave himself up so others could go on. Rosa took a HUGE risk on that bus. She didn't have courage from a podium, she had it on the street.

Rosa Parks did more.
BIGGER WATER DECOYS

don taylor
Forum & State Moderator

Postby carsonr2 » Mon Jun 09, 2008 12:33 pm

Spinner, I understand that if the funds went directly to the accounts for the county, that our department would have it's hands mixed in with other taxpayers monies. This is not the case, all fines come in house and stay here. We would start to lay off people if the funds were to stop, (never has happened, actually the dept. keeps growing, even with the current economic status). It is a good thing, (I think?), that developers and residents alike are always trying to sneak things by and not conform to the current county laws. I should also mention that not all money coming in is from fines. We also receive payment for plat approvals, building permits, and special use permits, etc. So we feel pretty safe with job security. :wink:
carsonr2
hunter

Postby don taylor » Mon Jun 09, 2008 12:33 pm

Ok I'm serious now. What have they done?
BIGGER WATER DECOYS

don taylor
Forum & State Moderator

Postby Fowlercon » Mon Jun 09, 2008 12:35 pm

SpinnerMan- hell yes I include women in the minority.

I have no sense of pride for anyone but me or my kids. As a rule, I usually don't give a damn what anyone else is up to.

BTW, we are talking about america, not India. We have our own religious zealots to control that stuff from happening here.
falling into error."
Fowlercon
hunter

Postby SpinnerMan » Mon Jun 09, 2008 12:36 pm

Don,

You need to get out of the city. It's warping your mind. Are you a prison guard? You sound like someone that spends way too much time working with scumbags that hate you.

My boss is a black guy with a Ph.D. from MIT. Some of my favorite columnist are Walter Williams and Thomas Sowell, who also happen to be black. As you well know, "they" have done all kinds of things good and bad. Just like "us." You really need to find a different crowd because your frustration is getting the best of your brain.

Ed
SpinnerMan
hunter

Postby captainduckhead » Mon Jun 09, 2008 12:41 pm

Who really cares, why do we have to have a black history month? or a Puerto Rican appreciation week or a Gay appreciation week? We actually had a gay appreciation week at the college I attended. I asked when we were going to have an appreciation week for guys who nail anything that moves. I wanted my own parade.

If you ask me, the black community owes us (the caucasians) a debt of gratitude. They should all get right down on their knees and thank white people for enslaving them. Then allowing them to attend college for less money, get preferance points on civil service exams, and allowing them to take up more valueable space in our prisons than any other race.
If blacks were never made to be slaves they would still be living in the filthy squaller that the tribal black people in Africa are living in today. By making them slaves we have enabled them to live here, go to school, wear clothes, vote, hold a job that pays, and enjoy all of the perks of our society that everyone else enjoys. So what they were slaves. Boo-Hoo. My people, (the Irish) were treated like crap, for a long time too. You don't hear me asking for a handout because of it.
Mojo Mallards are gay
captainduckhead
hunter

Postby don taylor » Mon Jun 09, 2008 12:44 pm

Lots of you guys don't live or have dealings with the general population blacks. If I wasn't subjected to all the experiences I have been maybe I'd be different. But I know far too much. Blacks I know don't have PHD's they have Escalades and Glocks.
BIGGER WATER DECOYS

don taylor
Forum & State Moderator

Postby Fowlercon » Mon Jun 09, 2008 12:44 pm

don taylor wrote:What did MLK do?

Here is a SMALL chronological picture for you................

Graduated from Booker T. Washington High School and was admitted to Morehouse College at age 15.

Graduates from Morehouse College and enters Crozer Theological Seminary.
Ordained to the Baptist ministry, February 25, 1948, at age 19.

Enters Boston University for graduate studies.

Received Doctorate of Philosophy in Systematic Theology from Boston University, Boston, Massachusetts on June 5, 1955.
Dissertation Title: A Comparison of God in the Thinking of Paul Tillich and Henry Wiseman.

Joins the bus boycott after Rosa Parks was arrested on December 1. On December 5, he is elected president of the Montgomery Improvement Association, making him the official spokesman for the boycott.

On November 13, the Supreme Court rules that bus segregation is illegal, ensuring victory for the boycott.

King forms the Southern Christian Leadership Conference to fight segregation and achieve civil rights. On May 17, Dr. King speaks to a crowd of 15,000 in Washington, D.C.

The U.S. Congress passed the first Civil Rights Act since reconstruction. King's first book, Stride Toward Freedom, is published.

On a speaking tour, Martin Luther King, Jr. is nearly killed when stabbed by an assailant in Harlem. Met with President Dwight D. Eisenhower, along with Roy Wilkins, A. Philip Randolph, and Lester Grange on problems affecting black Americans.

Visited India to study Mohandas Gandhi's philosophy of nonviolence.

Resigns from pastoring the Dexter Avenue Baptist Church to concentrate on civil rights full time. He moved to Atlanta to direct the activities of the Southern Christian Leadership Conference.

Becomes co-pastor with his father at the Ebenezer Baptist Church in Atlanta, Georgia.

Lunch counter sit-ins began in Greensboro, North Carolina. In Atlanta, King is arrested during a sit-in waiting to be served at a restaurant. He is sentenced to four months in jail, but after intervention by John Kennedy and Robert Kennedy, he is released.

Student Non-Violent Coordinating Committee founded to coordinate protests at Shaw University, Raleigh, North Carolina.

In November, the Interstate Commerce Commission bans segregation in interstate travel due to work of Martin Luther King, Jr. and the Freedom Riders.

Congress on Racial Equality (CORE) began first Freedom Ride through the South, in a Greyhound bus, after the U.S. Supreme Court outlawed segregation in interstate transportation.

During the unsuccessful Albany, Georgia movement, King is arrested on July 27 and jailed.

On Good Friday, April 12, King is arrested with Ralph Abernathy by Police Commissioner Eugene "Bull" Connor for demonstrating without a permit.

On April 13, the Birmingham campaign is launched. This would prove to be the turning point in the war to end segregation in the South.

During the eleven days he spent in jail, MLK writes his famous Letter from Birmingham Jail

On May 10, the Birmingham agreement is announced. The stores, restaurants, and schools will be desegregated, hiring of blacks implemented, and charges dropped.

On June 23, MLK leads 125,000 people on a Freedom Walk in Detroit.

The March on Washington held August 28 is the largest civil rights demonstration in history with nearly 250,000 people in attendance.

At the march, King makes his famous I Have a Dream speech.

On November 22, President Kennedy is assassinated.

On January 3, King appears on the cover of Time magazine as its Man of the Year.

King attends the signing ceremony of the Civil Rights Act of 1964 at the White House on July 2.

During the summer, King experiences his first hurtful rejection by black people when he is stoned by Black Muslims in Harlem.

King is awarded the Nobel Peace Prize on December 10. Dr. King is the youngest person to be awarded the Nobel Peace Prize for Peace at age 35.

On February 2, King is arrested in Selma, Alabama during a voting rights demonstration.

After President Johnson signs the Voting Rights Act into law, Martin Luther King, Jr. turns to socioeconomic problems.

On January 22, King moves into a Chicago slum tenement to attract attention to the living conditions of the poor.

In June, King and others begin the March Against Fear through the South.

On July 10, King initiates a campaign to end discrimination in housing, employment, and schools in Chicago.

The Supreme Court upholds a conviction of MLK by a Birmingham court for demonstrating without a permit. King spends four days in Birmingham jail.

On November 27, King announces the inception of the Poor People's Campaign focusing on jobs and freedom for the poor of all races.

King announces that the Poor People's Campaign will culminate in a March on Washington demanding a $12 billion Economic Bill of Rights guaranteeing employment to the able-bodied, incomes to those unable to work, and an end to housing discrimination.

Dr. King marches in support of sanitation workers on strike in Memphis, Tennessee.

On March 28, King lead a march that turns violent. This was the first time one of his events had turned violent.

Delivered I've Been to the Mountaintop speech.

At sunset on April 4, Martin Luther King, Jr. is fatally shot while standing on the balcony of the Lorraine Motel in Memphis, Tennessee.

There are riots and disturbances in 130 American cities. There were twenty thousand arrests.

King's funeral on April 9 is an international event.

Within a week of the assassination, the Open Housing Act is passed by Congress.
falling into error."
Fowlercon
hunter

Postby SpinnerMan » Mon Jun 09, 2008 12:45 pm

Fowlercon wrote:SpinnerMan- hell yes I include women in the minority.

I have no sense of pride for anyone but me or my kids. As a rule, I usually don't give a damn what anyone else is up to.

BTW, we are talking about america, not India. We have our own religious zealots to control that stuff from happening here.

How can women be a "minority" when they are the majority?

How can we control the caste system from happening in America when we have "minority" set asides and other laws that favor one group over another. Since we all are in a minority of some type, why can't I ask "where is mine?" Basically the point of the original post of this thread.

Diversity, affirmative action, and many anti-discrimination programs choose favorites by picking which minorities get benefits and which don't. This is exactly what spawned the riots in India. We just have a much smaller program at this time. Do you see it growing or shrinking in scope over time? Have you ever seen a group say that they don't need the goverenment benefits anymore or do they always say our group needs more? Is there anywhere this ends that isn't violent?

The whole idea is completely irrational, if you think were are all individuals that are created equal. It will never work perfectly, but all this stuff makes it worse and not better.
SpinnerMan
hunter

Postby Fowlercon » Mon Jun 09, 2008 12:48 pm

Fowlercon wrote:I had some responses ready.....................until I checked back to find this intolerable idiocy. Somebody create an argument not just retoric........................... :no:

I guess all blacks are just lazy and stupid because all they have managed to contribute is the electric slide. Are you serious? Not even worth my time in typing.........

captainduckhead, I'll quote myself........ :no:
falling into error."
Fowlercon
hunter

PreviousNext

Return to Controversial Issues Forum