The D.C. ban is gone

A forum not related to waterfowl for discussing the more controversial and hot topic issues in our world from immigration, politics, the war, etc..

Moderators: Smackaduck, MM

The D.C. ban is gone

Postby jaysweet3 » Thu Jun 26, 2008 9:51 am

I think the most disspointing part of the ruling, is that 4 of the judges voted against. Party lines can be found in the SCOTUS. Very sad.
jaysweet3
hunter

Re: The D.C. ban is gone

Postby ohsay » Thu Jun 26, 2008 4:33 pm

jaysweet3 wrote:Party lines can be found in the SCOTUS. Very sad.

Since when is that new?

If the court decided in strong favor one way or the other of an issue that the American people are so divided on, that's when we'd have an actual problem.
say what?
ohsay
hunter

Postby don taylor » Thu Jun 26, 2008 5:37 pm

OK here is where we get to say ' Nice goin Bush!' and thank him for the nominees that made this possible. This sets the stage for every other ban to fall under heavy scrutiny. God bless America on this great day.

BTW does the NRA deserve some credit?
BIGGER WATER DECOYS

Chairman- The Allegheny Chapter of Delta Waterfowl.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/4277478 ... 6859634909
don taylor
Forum & State Moderator

Re: The D.C. ban is gone

Postby grunt_doc » Fri Jun 27, 2008 5:58 am

ohsay wrote:
If the court decided in strong favor one way or the other of an issue that the American people are so divided on, that's when we'd have an actual problem.

The Supreme Court isn't supposed to take public views into account on the ruling. They are simply ruling on if the law in question is unconstitutional or not....or at least that's what they are supposed to do.

Doc
Texting is just a polite way to communicate whilst taking a dump.
grunt_doc
hunter

Postby lanthanide » Fri Jun 27, 2008 8:57 am

Thank you, Doc...you make the real point here.

These men and women are supposed to be the true defenders of truth, the constitution and justice.

They should interpret the bill of rights the same way a man-of-the-cloth views the 10 commandments.

Last time I checked, my priest hadn’t told me: “Ok…you can ‘covet’ a little and perhaps a smidge of adultery”.

The fact that these conservative judges see their own views and sense of self-worth as a higher voice than those of our founding fathers…terrifying!!

Now…some of you guys still want to tell me that Obama or a third part republican is the best bet for this next election? The SCOTUS has been politicized and contaminated by liberals without shame or even a trace of humility. This 5-4 vote proves that beyond much doubt. This is what we’re really fighting for in this election.
lanthanide
hunter

Postby GroundSwatter » Mon Jun 30, 2008 3:58 pm

If you look at the letters and papers of Thomas Jefferson and our other founding fathers, there should be no doubt about what the second amendment reads. I know things are somewhat different now, but the premises are still true.

"The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government." -- Thomas Jefferson Papers

"(The Constitution preserves) the advantage of being armed which Americans possess over the people of almost every other nation...(where) the governments are afraid to trust the people with arms." -James Madison.

"Laws that forbid the carrying of arms...disarm only those who are neither inclined nor determined to commit crimes...Such laws make things worse for the assaulted and better for the assailants; they serve rather to encourage than to prevent homicides, for an unarmed man may be attacked with greater confidence than an armed man." -Thomas Jefferson, quoting Cesare Beccaria.

On every question of construction (of the Constitution) let us carry ourselves back to the time when the Constitution was adopted, recollect the spirit manifested in the debates, and instead of trying what meaning may be squeezed out of the text, or invented against it, conform to the probable one in which it was passed." -Thomas Jefferson, letter to William Johnson, June 12, 1823, The Complete Jefferson, p322.

"To preserve liberty it is essential that the whole body of the people always possess arms and be taught alike, especially when young, how to use them..." -Richard Henry Lee writing in Letters from the Federal Farmer to the Republic (1787-1788)

"No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms." -Thomas Jefferson, Proposal Virginia Constitution, 1 T. Jefferson Papers, 334 (C.J. Boyd, Ed., 1950).

"If the representatives of the people betray their constituents, there is then no recourse left but in the exertion of that original right of self defense which is paramount to all positive forms of government..."-Alexander Hamilton, The Federalist (#28).

I could go on and on, but the fact of the matter is that these basic rights were put in place to protect our most basic freedoms. To take away honest citizen’s guns puts criminals and politicians in control. I personally trust criminals more than politicians. Both are corrupt, but you can at least predict what criminals are going to do, politicians are a little harder to read.
It's a fact that 70 percent of the people who purchase heavier tackle do so with the categorical I just lost a huge snook! Einstein Hairdo.The other 30 percent have either Tarpon Fever or are sporting a hand cramped into a claw from a deepwater grouper.
GroundSwatter
hunter

Postby jrp267 » Fri Jul 04, 2008 11:15 am

don taylor wrote:OK here is where we get to say ' Nice goin Bush!' and thank him for the nominees that made this possible. This sets the stage for every other ban to fall under heavy scrutiny. God bless America on this great day.

BTW does the NRA deserve some credit?

The NRA deserves no credit in this fight. They actually tried to lobby Mr. Heller to try and drop his suit. They where afraid he'd lose. But fortunately for all Americans he fought the good fight FEARLESSLY.
jrp267
hunter

Return to Controversial Issues Forum