Handgun Laws

A forum not related to waterfowl for discussing the more controversial and hot topic issues in our world from immigration, politics, the war, etc..

Moderators: Smackaduck, MM

Should handgun laws be more strict?

yes
4%
no
96%

Total votes : 48

Handgun Laws

Postby littlegray_2000 » Mon Jun 30, 2008 7:54 pm

Since I have been following the topic in "Open Carry". I have become interested in other states laws on carrying handguns. What are your laws?

Here is the law in Texas:

ยง 46.02. UNLAWFUL CARRYING WEAPONS. (a) A person
commits an offense if the person intentionally, knowingly, or
recklessly carries on or about his or her person a handgun, illegal
knife, or club if the person is not:
(1) on the person's own premises or premises under the
person's control; or
(2) inside of or directly en route to a motor vehicle
that is owned by the person or under the person's control.
(a-1) A person commits an offense if the person
intentionally, knowingly, or recklessly carries on or about his or
her person a handgun in a motor vehicle that is owned by the person
or under the person's control at any time in which:
(1) the handgun is in plain view; or
(2) the person is:
(A) engaged in criminal activity, other than a
Class C misdemeanor that is a violation of a law or ordinance
regulating traffic;
(B) prohibited by law from possessing a firearm;
or
(C) a member of a criminal street gang

The only way you can carry outside this law is if you have a concealed carry permit or a certified peace officer. If you have the permit you must carry concealed no exceptions.
Bring on the cold and the rain... I'll take it if the ducks are flying!
littlegray_2000
hunter

Postby wackemstackem » Tue Jul 01, 2008 6:35 am

The hand gun laws in NY work. :thumbsup:
It's my Island.
wackemstackem
muppet paster

Postby don taylor » Tue Jul 01, 2008 7:14 am

My problem is the laws should be uniform across all the states. Actually, I find any and all laws to be unconstitutional.

The right of the people to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed.

Sure sounds like a lot of infringement in Texas. But I don't live there.

Here's a crazy one from my state. When you fill out the form for a License to Carry Firearms (LTCF) you have to say you are not part of a militia in order to receive one. Does the constitution say the right should be for men in a well regulated militia? Simply unconstitutional. Make the laws harsh for criminals using guns, not law abiding civilians carrying them.
BIGGER WATER DECOYS

Chairman- The Allegheny Chapter of Delta Waterfowl.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/4277478 ... 6859634909
don taylor
Forum & State Moderator

Postby littlegray_2000 » Tue Jul 01, 2008 7:44 am

I agree with you don taylor that the handgun laws should be the same. However I do like the texas law as go for carrying. It allows you to carry on your property or in a vehicle just not on your person(unlessed licsensed). Correct me if I am wrong but it is legal in Pennsylvania to Open carry but not to conceal carry (unless licsensed) due to a de facto law.

IMO the reason you see more and more laws restricting handguns is due to our fellow citizens. If everybody that carried a handgun did not commit crimes then there wouldn't be laws aganist it. I personally had times where I came in contact with people who had a CHL (legal to carry) that committed a violent crime where they fired the gun or pulled the gun on people with out cause.
Bring on the cold and the rain... I'll take it if the ducks are flying!
littlegray_2000
hunter

Postby pennsyltucky » Tue Jul 01, 2008 5:00 pm

don taylor wrote:My problem is the laws should be uniform across all the states.

they sure will be.... no guns... i dont want to have to heed rulings from other states. we have it pretty good in PA...
muleskinner wrote:you were born with a silver spoon in your mouth and a benalli in the other.
pennsyltucky
Forum Moderator

Postby WisconsinWaterfowler » Tue Jul 01, 2008 6:04 pm

in wisconsin they wont let us carry a concealed weapon its not like it matters to me at the moment though i legally cant even own one
i dont personally know what handgun laws would be good i just know that the government or anyone else should not try and restrict our gun ownership
WisconsinWaterfowler
hunter

Postby Captn66 » Thu Jul 03, 2008 7:09 am

pennsyltucky wrote:
don taylor wrote:My problem is the laws should be uniform across all the states.

they sure will be.... no guns... i dont want to have to heed rulings from other states. we have it pretty good in PA...

You're right pennsyltucky .. we really do.

Want a CCW permit .... fill out the form, pay the fee, and you walk out with a CCW permit. No classes to take. Don't have to justify it to the local police. And there are very few places in PA where you can not legally carry.

Want a handgun? ... Fill out the form, pay for the handgun, walk out with the handgun. Again, don't have to justify it to the local police. No license to apply for. No waiting period. No silly restictions like MA or CA or restrictions on how many you can buy in a month.

That said, its our job to make sure the politicians keep things that way and don't cave to the extremists from Philadelphia who seem intent on infringing on our rights.
"Are we at last brought to such a humiliating and debasing degradation, that we cannot be trusted with arms for our own defense?" - Patrick Henry

Μολὼν λαβέ
Captn66
hunter

Postby pennsyltucky » Thu Jul 03, 2008 4:35 pm

Captn66 wrote:
That said, its our job to make sure the politicians keep things that way and don't cave to the extremists from Philadelphia who seem intent on infringing on our rights.

this is one time when "no news is good news" or "no law is a good law"
muleskinner wrote:you were born with a silver spoon in your mouth and a benalli in the other.
pennsyltucky
Forum Moderator

Postby jehler » Sun Jul 06, 2008 12:13 pm

wackemstackem wrote:The hand gun laws in NY work. :thumbsup:
work at what wackem, making it a pain in the ass for law abiding citizens to own a gun?
jehler
thread hi-jacking expert and a great guy

Postby msmall » Thu Jul 10, 2008 11:29 am

The gun laws pale in comparison to Marylands!!!!! Here the handguns has to be on an "approved" list, the manufacturer has to include a spent casing for the "shell database", the buyer has to watch a video on the proper storage and use of deadly force, and last but not least you have to fill out paperwork for the state police background check.
The turn around on the paperwork is usually 10 working days. Then when you get approval you have to wait 30 days to purchase any other handgun. These laws also apply to "assault rifles"!!!!!!!!
And yet we still have one of the nations highest murder rates .... yep sure sounds like the laws are really making a differnce in this state ...... :crazy: :crazy2: :crazy:
msmall
hunter

Postby GroundSwatter » Thu Jul 10, 2008 11:57 am

Say what you will about Texas's laws, but I can walk into a gun store and walk out with the gun within an hour. If you have taken the concealed carry class, you don't even have to fill out the paperwork.

There is no approved list, there are few limitations, except federal ones, on what I can buy.

From my understanding of the Consealed Carry class, basically it just lets you know your legal rights and Legal implications of pulling out your gun in public and taking action with it. Probably not a bad thing to know. It also makes sure you are competent enough with a pistol to pull it out and shoot somebody without harming innocent bystanders.

If you want to keep a gun in the car, there are enough exceptions in our laws that you can get away with it. sure you're not supposed to open carry, and maybe we should have the right to do it, but I personally don't want a target painted on me that badly.
It's a fact that 70 percent of the people who purchase heavier tackle do so with the categorical I just lost a huge snook! Einstein Hairdo.The other 30 percent have either Tarpon Fever or are sporting a hand cramped into a claw from a deepwater grouper.
GroundSwatter
hunter

Postby KAhunter » Thu Jul 10, 2008 12:32 pm

i dont think the laws for getting a gun or what king of guns or how many you can have should be stricter, but if you are caught with one without a permit or with an illegal gun, especially if it is connected in a robbery or what not, they should throw the book at you and put you under the jail... maybe if it is so bad ot get caught with an illegal gun then it will make people think twice
"If you have to be crazy to be a duck hunter, i dont wish to be sane" Robert Ruark

Its always duck season, there is just a long break from february to september.
KAhunter
hunter

Return to Controversial Issues Forum