Living Green?

A forum not related to waterfowl for discussing the more controversial and hot topic issues in our world from immigration, politics, the war, etc..

Moderators: Smackaduck, MM

Are you trying to live Green?

Poll ended at Tue Jul 22, 2008 12:38 pm

Yes
58%
NO
42%

Total votes : 19

Living Green?

Postby Greenhead329 » Thu Jul 17, 2008 12:38 pm

Guys i was wondering if ya'll are participating in this living green phenomenon that has grown into a wildfire since the start of the year.

Ive picked up recycling a little, but mainly cutting on my fuel consumption ill admit however thats more $$ based :rolleyes:

Also do you feel as if the "green" cleaners and chemicals are really earth friendly/biodegradable or is this just a marketing ploy for most companies.
I think this movement was kicked off mostly by the hippies, but I realize its important to conserve so we can have game and land to leave to future generations..any thoughts?

If you are what are some of the things you're doing :huh:
Whoever says you can't buy happiness has obviously never owned a lab

?Dos Juevos???... Dos Juevos
Greenhead329
hunter

Postby don taylor » Thu Jul 17, 2008 12:48 pm

I'm big on recycling No.1 and No.2 copper and brass. If anyone local has any, say 100# or more, PM me. I'll come get it.

No, I don't buy into all the hype. I started using less gas because the free market controlled price made me, Not douche bag Al Gore.
BIGGER WATER DECOYS

Chairman- The Allegheny Chapter of Delta Waterfowl.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/4277478 ... 6859634909
don taylor
Forum & State Moderator

Postby rmh » Thu Jul 17, 2008 1:03 pm

I've composted for gardening for years, recycled containers and newspapers/magazines mostly because I couldn't see filling up the landfill (and MD made recycling mandatory in a convoluted sort of way), just got some compact flouros on sale just to try them out, jury is still out and only one lamp is using one. Always planted drought resistant native plants. Low flow shower head, old style toilet. Mileage? 20-25 on the cars (1991, 1995, 2003- Lumina and Taurus wagons) 18-22 on 2003 F-150, @ 30 on 2003 Focus (I think, oldest daughter drives it and I rarely see it). Furnace is set in winter at 70, hot water heater is set high. Original windows in 100 year old house (has storms). Have tried some of the new cleaners, in my opinion less effective for a higher price.
2013 Totals
1 2003 Ford Focus (harvested by a 6 point whitetail)
1 1991 Chevy Lumina (harvested by a PT Cruiser)
rmh
hunter

Postby brucetonbottombandit » Thu Jul 17, 2008 1:21 pm

I now recycle my beer cans so I can afford more beer.
brucetonbottombandit
hunter

Postby carsonr2 » Thu Jul 17, 2008 1:57 pm

I haven't done much different except drive the car instead of the truck these days.

I have always recycled, was raised with it, and it was easy to do growing up in MI.

When fishing and hunting I often pick up trash in the woods, lakes and streams, this was how I was raised, and it looks much better after the fact.

Whether or not one is trying to "Live Green" for the fad or not, it isn't a bad idea. Really, who can argue that it isn't important to have clean air, clean water and clean land. We improve from it, the wildlife improve from it, and it is nice going into my honey holes without seeing the trash around, especially spent shells, and bird nest wads of monofilament.

One thing that I will note on the environmental friendly cleaners. Working in the environmental field, one of the largest tax burdens on citizens is linked to clean water. It costs millions of dollars to clean water, that could be filtered and polluted to a lesser degree before reaching waterways and water sources. So it will be interesting to see the studies that will come out depicting contaminant levels, and how they may differ with the use of "eco-friendly" cleaners.
carsonr2
hunter

Postby Rat Creek » Fri Jul 18, 2008 10:11 am

I absolutely don’t live green. That is the biggest, phoniest movement ever.

I have always recycled, but not to save Al Gore’s planet. Why throw something away that can be reused. That is being conservative, a tightwad or a penny pincher. Call it what you want, it is just not being wasteful.

I replaced the windows in my house and have seen some energy savings. Did I do it to join Al Gore’s movement? No. The old windows were bad, so I got new ones.

And do I use compact florescent bulbs? Yes, in areas where the lights will be on for extended periods. Did I do it to save the planet or to be green? No, I did it to save money on energy. In closets where the lights are on for brief periods of time, the florescent bulbs suck because they have to warm up and by the time they put out decent light, you are out of there.

Programmable thermostat? Yep. To save the planet? Nope. Guess why I have it.

Will I install solar panels, wind mills, etc? No. A 30 – 60 year payback doesn’t look like a good investment to me and using a government handout to make it feasible seems like sticking it to my fellow citizen taxpayers. You can read ethanol into that sentence also.

I am all about saving money, not the planet. It doesn’t need saving.
Rat Creek
Rat Creek
hunter

Postby carsonr2 » Fri Jul 18, 2008 12:21 pm

I commend you Rat Creek. That is the biggest affect that using the new technologies will have for the individual consumer (saving money). By using the different technologies and practices you stated, by default you are helping the so called "green movement" even if it is not on purpose. Each of the statements you made inevitably saves energy.

I hate the fact that being green is a fad, because fads often die out with time, and I do believe that there are certain portions of this earth that require and are in need of saving. Particularly an area that is important to every member of this site. The CRP lands in the prairie pothole region. For years conservation groups have worked to "save this portion of the earth", this in itself is a movement to be green, and preserve habitat. I know I want as much habitat as can be provided to continue to pursue the recreational opportunities of hunting in season, or just enjoying the open space because it is there outside of respective hunting seasons.
carsonr2
hunter

Postby WisconsinWaterfowler » Fri Jul 18, 2008 12:43 pm

the only reason i cut down on gas is because of the price global warming is a hoax made up by al gore if he belived it was real he wouldnt be flying around in his private jet but i believe we need to keep the environment clean and a great way to do it is by picking up the trash at your hunting grounds and maybe if an anti- hunter/environmentalist sees you they wont think to much less of hunters :thumbsup:
WisconsinWaterfowler
hunter

Postby Montanafowler » Fri Jul 18, 2008 1:05 pm

a quote from George Carlin:

"The planet is fine, it's been here for 4.5 billion years. do the arithmatic. we've been here what, a hundred thousand? maybe two hundred thousand? and we've only been engaged in heavy industry for a little over two hundred years. two hundred years versus 4.5 bilion and we have the conceit to think somehow we're a threat? the planet's been through a lot worse than us."

"Plastic came out of the earth, the earth probably sees plastic as another one of its children. It could be the only reason the earth allowed us to be spawned from it in the first place, it wanted plastic for itself."
Booney3721 wrote:Try being a dishwasher/Grill cook/ellectrition/garbage disposer and your owner/boss is a fat greek woman who cals you names as Retard, stupid, idiot, molocah, f*** face and tard, and tells you that you was the inspiration for abortion and birth control.
Montanafowler
Forum Moderator

Postby CLUTCHfan » Fri Jul 18, 2008 1:58 pm

Soylent Green is made out of people.
TNAL45 wrote:I like my beer like I like my violence....Domestic.
CLUTCHfan
Former DHC Ball Buster

Location: Behind the facade of this innocent looking bookstore.

Postby Pumpgunner » Mon Jul 21, 2008 4:29 pm

Living green or trying to make the smallest footprint possible shouldn't be a political agenda, it's something we should do because we love the outdoors, wildlife, and nature. I don't try to conserve, respect the land, and recycle because Al Gore or anyone else tells me to. I do it because I see a direct link between emissions, resource use, and carbon burning and habitat for deer, elk, grouse, ducks, and geese.
Pumpgunner
hunter

Postby shoot-n-goose » Mon Jul 21, 2008 10:40 pm

idahofowler wrote:a quote from George Carlin:

"The planet is fine, it's been here for 4.5 billion years. do the arithmatic. we've been here what, a hundred thousand? maybe two hundred thousand? and we've only been engaged in heavy industry for a little over two hundred years. two hundred years versus 4.5 bilion and we have the conceit to think somehow we're a threat? the planet's been through a lot worse than us."

The same way i feel. I do not believe humans are causeing global warming so much as its the trends of the earth. The earth is due for another ice age, and for an ice age to happen, the earth first warms itself. Tryin to stop the natural occurance of global warming is like trying to land on the sun, it cant be done
CLUTCHfan wrote: Never bring a penis to a knife fight.
shoot-n-goose
hunter

Return to Controversial Issues Forum