NY Times biased?

A forum not related to waterfowl for discussing the more controversial and hot topic issues in our world from immigration, politics, the war, etc..

Moderators: Smackaduck, MM

NY Times biased?

Postby jehler » Tue Jul 22, 2008 8:12 am

This morning on cnn a reporter made the statement that the editors response to Mcaines op-ed proved beyond doubt that the ny times is beyond doubt flat biased to the left. I couldn’t believe my ears…they finally got it and said it. Now they should take a close look in the mirror
Buy it, use it, break it, fix it,
Trash it, change it, mail - upgrade it,
Charge it, point it, zoom it, press it,
Snap it, work it, quick - erase it,
Write it, cut it, paste it, save it,
Load it, check it, quick - rewrite it,
Plug it, play it, burn it
jehler
thread hi-jacking expert and a great guy

Postby Greenhead Grappler » Tue Jul 22, 2008 8:26 am

:rofl: yep.

although yesterday i heard sean hannity make a good statement to a guy on his radio show.
the guy said he only talks about obama's bad points and never mentions mccain's. sean simply said well yea, this is my show and my opinion. its a conservative show. i like mccain and i dont like obama.
that's exactly right!

is there really any talk show or political news station or paper that isnt bias? no
Canceling Flights in the backwater of Northwest LA
Greenhead Grappler
Forum Moderator

Postby CLUTCHfan » Tue Jul 22, 2008 9:05 am

I got into a political discussion with a friend of mine who tends bar. It ended up going until 5 in the morning, which is cool, because bars here close at 2, and it gave us all a chance to drink for three extra hours. At one point she asked me if I thought Fox News was really "fair and balanced". I then asked her if she thought CNN, CBS, NBC, ABC, MSNBC, BBC, the NY Times, the Syracuse Sub-Standard (Post-Standard), etc were "fair and balanced". Chalk one up for me.

When I was a kid, long before Fox News, my father would watch the news every night, and I remember him telling me about having to read between the lines and find the real facts in news stories through the opinion and spin that gets put on it. It was something that stuck with me, and has helped me look a little more objectively at the information that is force fed to the masses by the media.

As far as CNN calling the NY Times biased, pot meet kettle.
TNAL45 wrote:I like my beer like I like my violence....Domestic.
CLUTCHfan
Former DHC Ball Buster

Location: Behind the facade of this innocent looking bookstore.

Postby lanthanide » Tue Jul 22, 2008 10:53 am

I hope everyone realizes how serious, unprecedented and DANGEROUS this type of media representation is.

Stop and think about it. A MAJOR American newspaper refusing to publish the views of a presidential candidate….CUZ’ THEY DON’T LIKE HIS POSITION ON VARIOUS ISSUES!?!?! :lame:

If that doesn’t hit you in the face like a ton of bricks…it should.

Well…the NYT has now fallen to a level just above ‘Pravda’…such an objective news source. It is now a blunt little tool controlled by limousine liberals like George Soros and Peter Lewis…the true controllers of the communist…er…democratic party.
lanthanide
hunter

Postby wackemstackem » Tue Jul 22, 2008 12:14 pm

Yea but Clutch,did you get any...? :yes:

I think more people that dont live in NYC read the Times than people that do live in NYC.Most commuters I see are reading the daily news,the post,wall st journal,newsday then the times.
# 1 reason,the times sux
#2 its a pain in the ass to read,open it fold it over 5x then repeat 20x,its a BS paper
It's my Island.
wackemstackem
muppet paster

Postby SpinnerMan » Tue Jul 22, 2008 12:50 pm

Greenhead Grappler wrote:although yesterday i heard sean hannity make a good statement to a guy on his radio show.
the guy said he only talks about obama's bad points and never mentions mccain's. sean simply said well yea, this is my show and my opinion. its a conservative show. i like mccain and i dont like obama.
that's exactly right!

is there really any talk show or political news station or paper that isnt bias? no
You do understand the difference between news and talk shows. Talk shows, whether they are Sean Hannity, Chris Matthews, or Oprah Winfrey, have absolutely positively no reason to be or try to be unbiased. News reporters and journalists have an ethical duty to try to the best of their ability to be unbiased. Limbaugh is not in the same profession as Katie Curic.

The NYT rejection of McCain's op-ed is scary as hell. They should have a policy that they pretty much publish every op-ed that the major party candidates send to them as is. They don't even try to be unbiased.

The really scary thing is I honestly believe they are so indoctrinated and ignorant that they actually believe they are playing it straight down the middle.
SpinnerMan
hunter

Postby Redline29 » Tue Jul 22, 2008 2:42 pm

And to add to spinners post...hannity and Rush, Mike Church, Andrew Wilkow (both on sirius radio) Levin, all do not hide from the fact of who they are and what they believe. And for that matter all of the said talk show hosts have hammered McCain over and over again when they don't agree with them. The right wing media is WAY more fair and balanced than the left. I have heard all of them blast Bush when he is wrong also. When was the last time a major main stream media outlet has gone after Obama on anything?
20 Jan 2009...the beginning of an error.
Redline29
hunter

Postby Rat Creek » Thu Jul 24, 2008 12:48 pm

Biased or view points from a certain position belong in the op-ed or editorial section of the newspaper which makes the refusal to carry McCain’s piece even more troubling. They didn’t ask for a front page location where so called real news is reported. They asked for it to be printed in the editorial section.

Their refusal tells you the truth about their organization. Only left wing positions will be tolerated. Someone mentioned “Pravda” which was the communist party paper of the USSR. The ironic thing is Pravda means Truth.

It kind of reminds me of NPR’s “All things considered.” Never has a show been so incorrectly named.
Rat Creek
Rat Creek
hunter

Return to Controversial Issues Forum